• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 9] Type 9s and Caffeine Addiction or Habit

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm a 9 and I'm definitely addicted to caffeine, a habit I'm always trying to break, but I love waking up in the morning, listening to the sound of the coffee brewing, smelling that wonderful aroma, and sitting there sipping on it until I slowly wake up. It gives me a nice peace of mind in the morning.

justwannabeMe

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm a 9. I don't usually use stimulants. But I've been known to down a nasty 5-hr energy on occassion. I don't drink coffee and soda does nothing for my mental awareness. In fact, I don't know how much caffiene works at all somedays - I have actually taken a no-doz and then napped for several hours. :shrug:

It is fascinating how having a life that I enjoy is awakening. I've been a stay-at-home mom for a few yrs and it is exhausting and draining, but sometimes just getting out w/out kids wakes me right up. ItsInMyHead?!
I can work long, hard hrs without any stimulants, though, but I can also sleep for 20 hrs at time. which seems like a disorder or something. :offtobed:

... Sometimes just having infants wake you up in the night for years on end causes adrenal fatigue, etc - regardless of type.

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
... Sometimes just having infants wake you up in the night for years on end causes adrenal fatigue, etc - regardless of type.

I know! I have chronic sleep deprivation from working 2nd shift and getting up with the kids in the morning. Memory? Gone. Attentin span? Worse than ever! I guess I'll have plenty of time to sleep when I'm dead, right?
Until then....... :coffee:

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
I am also quite the grump until I get my first cup and relax in the morning!

Oh yeah :yes:

The kids know......give daddy a few minutes :laugh:

:coffeeluv:

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
I am also quite the grump until I get my first cup and relax in the morning!

Oh yeah :yes:

The kids know......give daddy a few minutes :laugh:

:coffeeluv:

My husband has just learned this! It's best to avoid me for at least 15 minutes in the morning. ;) I don't need the coffee, just need some time alone to wake up. :)

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think so.

For a while I was drinking ice machiatto for a bit that you can buy in stores here, and there were times where I felt thirsty, but only for that particular drink. So I stopped that.

But I occasionally drink coffee and I suppose cola on a regular bases. But when I am away or just drinking something else, I don't feel like I am missing something.

I do currently smoke. And in a sense my smoking is very habitual and not really addiction. Because if I go where I can't smoke (like a hotel room where you can't smoke until you're outside again) I don't feel the need to go out and have a smoke and get through the evening/night without any issues. But when I do go outside, I light one right away just because I can.

I really should probably just quit. It shouldn't be too hard for me if I'd just make the descision. But habit I guess. :p

But that's also where my habits end. I'm not much of a habitual person

lauranna

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can see where the OP is coming from. I used to have a massive caffeine addiction to Red Bull type drinks and ProPlus Caffeine pills. (This is the UK. I imagine you have different brands throughout the world.)

I have tried to cut down because they are so bad for you but honestly, I feel like I am merely a shadow without them. I use them to feel alive. I use them to have some conversation and some kind of personality. I feel physically and mentally sluggish without them. Caffeine helps me get stuff done and for that I am grateful. And I overdose massively. The packet says take 1-2 pills every 8 hours. I take 4 pills every 4 hours.

Otherwise, I could quite easily sleep all day.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My husband has just learned this! It's best to avoid me for at least 15 minutes in the morning. ;) I don't need the coffee, just need some time alone to wake up. :)

That's exactly how my wife (ISFP (9w8 sx/sp)) is in the morning.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A little caffeine can be inspiring at the right time, but having it in a large dose (coffee or more concentrated) is no more than a necessary evil. To be used as rarely as possible. The cost of the energy, at least for myself, is a dulling of the senses and of awareness in general. Seeing and hearing, and feeling things less. The feeling of everything coming in to me through a screen is frightening if I let it be.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have a strong 9w1 fix and I have coffee every day. I have two to three or two and a half cups of coffee a day. Then I'm a happy camper for the rest of it. c: It's one part of the day I like without and I get really grouchy without it. I'm also out-of-it and people would think I barely got any sleep, even when I get a normal amount of sleep. I never do decaf. While I like the taste of coffee, part of the point of doing it is the energy boost it gives that helps get me through the day. The world gets hazy without coffee. It also helps to keep positive.

badatlife

MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
i never touch caffeine. i'm a slow metabolizer according to 23andme, and i'm sensitive to it. whenever i drink coffee or even soda i have trouble sleeping

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
9s are prone to addiction in general because they avoid internal conflict through external means.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
My husband is a 9 and he loves coffee. He drinks a pot most days so maybe 5-6 large mugs. I have a couple cups. I drink iced tea the rest of the day but it's decaf.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I used to drink decaf up until towards the end of my college years... then when I told a friend one night during winter finals week, she made it her mission that night to make sure I’d have my first “real” coffee. I’ve been spoiled since, can’t have decaf anymore because the caffeinated stuff is waaaaay better imo. :alttongue:

Hermit of the Forest

Greetings humans • Hunting
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I love coffee, but I only have 1-2 cups a day. Anymore and I start feeling a bit sick. My only real addictions are internet and audiobooks.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think caffeine addiction specifically is so widespread that it transcends Enneagram types.

Addiction in general, can happen to any type. Maybe some types are seen as more prone but there are other factors that go into it that may be more important. One of them is genetics. Genetic predisposition to addiction is SUPER potent in some families. I have sort of always just assumed I am predispositioned to addictions, it's better to play it safe than sorry.

Albeit, this isn't talking about caffeine. I'm talking more about alcohol since there's a lot of alcoholism among people I'm relatdd to.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think caffeine addiction specifically is so widespread that it transcends Enneagram types.

Addiction in general, can happen to any type. Maybe some types are seen as more prone but there are other factors that go into it that may be more important. One of them is genetics. Genetic predisposition to addiction is SUPER potent in some families. I have sort of always just assumed I am predispositioned to addictions, it's better to play it safe than sorry.

Albeit, this isn't talking about caffeine. I'm talking more about alcohol since there's a lot of alcoholism among people I'm relatdd to.

Agreed, though I can't tell if this is a SERIOUS thread or mostly just fun/relating in terms of caffeine usage.

I work in a coffee shop...I can confidently say caffeine addiction has nothing to do with type. There are lots of definite non 9's that are caffeine junkies. :laugh:

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm a 9w1. I took 2-4 caffeine pills nearly every day for, probably, over a decade.
Now, I take Provigil.

I have a sleep disorder (?) plus apnea though.
I can't stand the taste of most coffee (and then, I prefer it cold or blended fancy).
Strangely enough, I can't drink caffeinated tea or it gives me problems with my "anxiety" (no worry, just constant "adrenaline surges" around my mouth), which end up fatiguing me more than I was before the tea lol.

I LOVE and live on soda though. (I gave it up for 3 months a couple of years ago with no withdrawal.) Coke, Sprite, my 64 ounce cup filled with frozen Coke *drools*.
No alcohol for me, please. Just one drink makes me feel like someone punched me in the gut... and then it knocks me out rofl. I have zero tolerance.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I drink it a bunch. I'm a rare morning person, so I get sleepy early. Plus college. My energy levels are weird, I usually flip between being hyper to wanting to nap all day. I think I should cut back though, the caffeine is making me anxious and irritable :/

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, I am a caffeine addict. Occassionally, I take a break for a few months, but I just miss it.....