• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 9] Type 9s and Caffeine Addiction or Habit

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is there a relationship between being a type 9 and having a caffeine habit? Are these correlated more closely than with the other 8 types? Are there any type 9s out there who don't require some kind of stimulant (if not caffeine) to keep them going all day?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Me.

I don't drink coffee and often stop drinking carbonated beverages if I think I am starting to depend on them.

wolfy

awsm
I don't know if it is any relation to 9 or anything but I love coffee and any stimulant. Always have, probably always will.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Me.

I don't drink coffee and often stop drinking carbonated beverages if I think I am starting to depend on them.

I'm guessing you're an ENFP. Does a type 9 at the higher levels of development try to rely on their own internal reserves rather than on substances? Or is this a 1-wing need for self-control.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know if it is any relation to 9 or anything but I love coffee and any stimulant. Always have, probably always will.

Going by memory, you're an ISFP 9w8. Maybe, just maybe, the 8-wing more or less influences the need to use stimulants, but with the 9w1, there is a counteracting need to get control over this.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm guessing you're an ENFP. Does a type 9 at the higher levels of development try to rely on their own internal reserves rather than on substances?

You guess wrong.

I would guess yes, as it is with most healthier people.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You guess wrong.

I would guess yes, as it is with most healthier people.

Not 100% wrong. You're an intuitive at least, assuming your avatar is a self-pic. If I can guess 75% of someone's type, then I'm as good as the MBTI with its 75% accuracy rating.

Stimulants can become a problem for anybody. But type 9s seem to have a particular affinity with them in whatever form. Type 7s just like to feel trippy, and type 4s like to use them to explore their inner worlds.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not 100% wrong. You're an intuitive at least, assuming your avatar is a self-pic. If I can guess 75% of someone's type, then I'm as good as the MBTI with its 75% accuracy rating.

Stimulants can become a problem for anybody. But type 9s seem to have a particular affinity with them in whatever form. Type 7s just like to feel trippy, and type 4s like to use them to explore their inner worlds.

I wish I looked like Tom Hardy!

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I used to be but I started to get really bad gastritis because of it so I stopped.

Now it's just fruit juice drinks :D

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
I purposely limit myself to 1 or 2 cups a day so that I don't acquire too much of a tolerance to it, cuz I often don't get enough sleep and need it to work for me in the morning.

Also, I'm naturally a night owl, so avoid coffee in the afternoon to maximize my chances of getting to sleep at a reasonable time at night. I think my natural body clock is 25 or 26 hours long; I always want to stay up later than the night before, sometimes even when I'm sleep deprived.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Is there a relationship between being a type 9 and having a caffeine habit? Are these correlated more closely than with the other 8 types? Are there any type 9s out there who don't require some kind of stimulant (if not caffeine) to keep them going all day?

No caffeine for me. 1 cup of green tea in the morning for health, and other than that, nopity nopity nope.

I predict there will be no relationship between caffeine use and being a 9 on the enneagram.

What makes you think there would be?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I purposely limit myself to 1 or 2 cups a day so that I don't acquire too much of a tolerance to it, cuz I often don't get enough sleep and need it to work for me in the morning.

Also, I'm naturally a night owl, so avoid coffee in the afternoon to maximize my chances of getting to sleep at a reasonable time at night. I think my natural body clock is 25 or 26 hours long; I always want to stay up later than the night before, sometimes even when I'm sleep deprived.

But there's more than just coffee out there. Everything from pop to energy drinks to chocolate have caffeine.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No caffeine for me. 1 cup of green tea in the morning for health, and other than that, nopity nopity nope.

I predict there will be no relationship between caffeine use and being a 9 on the enneagram.

What makes you think there would be?

I'm saying there is caffeine dependence, not just use, because the type 9s that I've known have been low-energy types as well as coffee drinkers. Or soda drinkers. If my mom didn't drink coffee all day, all she would do is sleep. And she's always been like that.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I used to be but I started to get really bad gastritis because of it so I stopped.

Now it's just fruit juice drinks :D

For gastritis prevention, try Ranitidine (under various brand names), Prilosec, or Nexium. The last one is best, Prilosec is good but it has the most side-effects, I think. Fruit drinks can also cause gastritis because of the acid, but caffeine is far worse and alcohol is the worst gastric offender. Antacids have no effect on gastritis symptoms.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I'm saying there is caffeine dependence, not just use, because the type 9s that I've known have been low-energy types as well as coffee drinkers. Or soda drinkers. If my mom didn't drink coffee all day, all she would do is sleep. And she's always been like that.

Interesting ... my aunt is a 9 and she's kind of like your mom, but not me.

I do eat chocolate, but that's more of a PMS-y need.

I don't think I am an uber-energy kind of person either, but caffeine doesn't help me in that way. It generally makes me feel worse; caffeine makes me a jittery wired insomniac and gives me palpitations. I avoid it.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
But there's more than just coffee out there. Everything from pop to energy drinks to chocolate have caffeine.

True. I don't drink soda or energy drinks, but I do drink tea and eat dark chocolate in limited amounts.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I thought most people were caffeine addicts? 9s have an affinity for sleep right? Why would they seek out something that makes them more awake? I guess they might feel the benefits more than some types.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I'm a 7 and I'm a bit addicted - I drink 3 cups (espresso) a day. I'm a high energy person by nature but...I want more of it :D

That said, I never drink coffee past 1 PM, otherwise I can't sleep well.