• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 9] Type 9s and Caffeine Addiction or Habit

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i drink like 3-4 cans of regular coca cola a day.
i can finish a 2 litre no problem.

i'm not a 9.

G

Glycerine

Caffeine is probably one of the most widely used drugs. Caffeine makes me a bit nauseous and irritated so i tend to avoid it in large quantities. I will have tea or chocolate every once in awhile though. I am more energetic sleep deprived than on caffeine... it makes me wanna pass out, lol

B

brainheart

My guess is coffee is one of those universal habits, like alcohol. Otherwise it wouldn't be a multi billion industry and everyone wouldn't drink it. Or else like 70% of the population is a nine...

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
2w1 mom and 6w5 dad both are heavy coffee drinkers. so is unknown-enneagram boyfriend.

i'll have a cup once a month or so :shrug:

point being, i've not noticed a trend in 9s that surpasses any other group.

Permabanned
I have no idea whether it has to do with being a 9 or not, but the amount of caffeine (in the form of coffee, tea, energy shots, soda, caffeinated mints/gum, etc.) I employ is ridonkulous. I'm very enterprising and restless for a 9, though (maybe due to being sx primary?)

badunkadunk.

Snoopy22

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
For me it more about having a huge sweet tooth (or buds), caffeine is just an added benefit. Caffeine being so bitter tasting removes coffee of my list.

_eric_

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Caffeine does nothing at all to me.

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
Not a big coffee drinker. Nor cokes. Nor do I consume a lot of chocolate. Most of the time I drink water. I'll occasionally have green tea or herbal teas, but I am certainly not dependent on it. And any drink like that (including Red Bull) has never really given me any energy. I actually don't sleep a lot. I get maybe six hours a night. No caffeine or other stimulants needed here. If anything I need depressants. :shock:

Porsche

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not a coffee addict, but I drink it every morning. Too much of it makes me palpitate and agitated.

Speaking of addiction, I have other addiction about my being an sp 9. I can't seem to control my urge to play some games at facebook. It's really counter-productive. I plan to have my facebook be a restricted site.

Porsche

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not a coffee addict, but I drink it every morning. Too much of it makes me palpitate and agitated.

Speaking of addiction, I have other addiction about my being an sp 9. I can't seem to control my urge to play some games at facebook. It's really counter-productive. I plan to have my facebook be a restricted site.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I love my caffeine. I drink a lot of it because I have a lot going on. It's definitely an addiction, and it's fine with me.

I love coffee, I wouldn't say I have a habit since I don't drink it everyday but I definitely feel more alert and energetic with a cup in the morning and maybe another late afternoon.

The_Observer

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
9w1
Is there a relationship between being a type 9 and having a caffeine habit? Are these correlated more closely than with the other 8 types? Are there any type 9s out there who don't require some kind of stimulant (if not caffeine) to keep them going all day?

For me, I have had a caffine addition temporarily in the past. I was merging with a 5w4 who loved coffee. I would drink it a lot and even when I wasn't tired. While I was integrating I would try new types of coffee with different flavors and potency. Eventually I noticed that I had this twitch in my left eye. I stopped drinking coffee cold turkey and the twitch stayed with me for about a month. Then I started to drink darjeeling tea and the twitch went away in about two days time. I thought that was really cool actually but all of this is irrelevant to the point I want to make.

The point I was going to make is that most people with the type 9 personality don't have a really well developed sense of self which would include any real awareness of the effects of coffee on their system. So this habit is easily set in motion and tends to stay in motion until that awareness is developed and the effects realized. At the same time, some nines may use stimulants as their "creature comfort" and simply will not be separated from them.

The_Observer

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
9w1
I thought most people were caffeine addicts? 9s have an affinity for sleep right? Why would they seek out something that makes them more awake? I guess they might feel the benefits more than some types.

9s don't have a real affinity for sleep. It's more about emotional indolence. In average to unhealthy levels we tend to stop paying attention to ourselves and others so that we can maintain a balanced emotional state. The highs are lowered and the lows are raised so to speak.
Seeking out caffeine can be useful for avoiding tiredness. When I'm tired that makes me feel uncomfortable and even irritable so having caffeine turns the discomfort in to white noise and I can't tell that I'm tired anymore. Although once I lay down at night...eyes shut, lights out.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For me, I have had a caffine addition temporarily in the past. I was merging with a 5w4 who loved coffee. I would drink it a lot and even when I wasn't tired. While I was integrating I would try new types of coffee with different flavors and potency. Eventually I noticed that I had this twitch in my left eye. I stopped drinking coffee cold turkey and the twitch stayed with me for about a month. Then I started to drink darjeeling tea and the twitch went away in about two days time. I thought that was really cool actually but all of this is irrelevant to the point I want to make.

The point I was going to make is that most people with the type 9 personality don't have a really well developed sense of self which would include any real awareness of the effects of coffee on their system. So this habit is easily set in motion and tends to stay in motion until that awareness is developed and the effects realized. At the same time, some nines may use stimulants as their "creature comfort" and simply will not be separated from them.

9s have an awareness of the self, it's just not developed. It doesn't take that much awareness to admit that "I need caffeine in order to keep me awake all day."

Newbyagain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Is there a relationship between being a type 9 and having a caffeine habit? Are these correlated more closely than with the other 8 types? Are there any type 9s out there who don't require some kind of stimulant (if not caffeine) to keep them going all day?

I can't figure out if I am more Eight or Nine. I don't think I am nice enough to be a Nine, but I don't usually have the steady energy of an Eight. Anyway, I think I usually see high energy people being big coffee attics. I think they have the desire to keep pushing their self, so the coffee helps, where Nines don't always have the desire, unless it's survival mode or maybe when they are in their healthier integrated days being closer to Three. I am a huge coffee junkie though...

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can't figure out if I am more Eight or Nine. I don't think I am nice enough to be a Nine, but I don't usually have the steady energy of an Eight. Anyway, I think I usually see high energy people being big coffee attics. I think they have the desire to keep pushing their self, so the coffee helps, where Nines don't always have the desire, unless it's survival mode or maybe when they are in their healthier integrated days being closer to Three. I am a huge coffee junkie though...

I'm not asking if 9s need coffee to go into survival mode. I'm asking if they need it to give them the energy just to make it through their day.

Newbyagain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm not asking if 9s need coffee to go into survival mode. I'm asking if they need it to give them the energy just to make it through their day.

That was the implication. Same thing.

Animal

So carnal it's spiritual
MBTI Type
SeFi
Enneagram

I have enough energy to kill a horse with my eyes sometimes, but I still drink coffee every day since I was about 11. I drink even more coffee when I'm doing something that requires mental focusing, like writing my book for instance. If I'm doing active body stuff, I just energize myself and don't need as much coffee.

Hm. Maybe this is why my enneagram-literate friends are insisting I have a 9 wing. :mellow: