• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 9] Any 9 experts around here?

Silveresque

So I've just changed my enneatype, my instinctual variant, and my MBTI type, so I'm feeling a bit disoriented right now. I need to find out how this new combination can work (or if it can).

Here's my big issue: All the descriptions I read of type 9 make them seem like they have no sense of self and are too willing to go along with what others want, ignoring their own needs. Do all 9's have trouble voicing their opinions and objections, or saying "no" when they don't want to do something? Can the presence of Fi and Sx have an impact on this tendency, making a 9 more aware of her own needs and desires, and less willing to compromise them?

Another thing: Unlike most 9's, I become more reflective and introspective when I'm unhealthy, not less. Could a Fi-Si loop cause a 9 to become extremely introspective and brooding?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can speak on this as a 4-5-9, if it's helpful: Doing stuff is just doing stuff. I don't care what stuff we do. I don't have a preference because it's all the same to me. It's not that I have no sense of self, it's just that one is as good as the other, within some bounds -- I don't like anything too noisy, for example, or if I do go, we should take separate cars because it might get too much for me and I'll really want to leave. Other than that -- want to go to a movie? Sure. Or go out to eat? That's good to. Or walk around the mall. We could do that.
Occasionally I'm a little more enthusiastic about one thing than another, but within the bounds of anything I can actually tolerate, I don't care.
This is different from the types for whom what they do defines them. But if you don't define yourself by externals, then one external is pretty much the same to you as another.

Silveresque

I can speak on this as a 4-5-9, if it's helpful: Doing stuff is just doing stuff. I don't care what stuff we do. I don't have a preference because it's all the same to me. It's not that I have no sense of self, it's just that one is as good as the other, within some bounds -- I don't like anything too noisy, for example, or if I do go, we should take separate cars because it might get too much for me and I'll really want to leave. Other than that -- want to go to a movie? Sure. Or go out to eat? That's good to. Or walk around the mall. We could do that.
Occasionally I'm a little more enthusiastic about one thing than another, but within the bounds of anything I can actually tolerate, I don't care.
This is different from the types for whom what they do defines them. But if you don't define yourself by externals, then one external is pretty much the same to you as another.

Yeah, I'm the same way. It's not really that I'm afraid to voice my preferences, I often don't have preferences, so I'm all "Sure, whatever you feel like doing". But if someone asks me what I want to do and I actually do have a preference, I'll voice it. Why withhold my preference (for fear that the other person won't like it) when I don't necessarily know what the other person wants? If someone asks if want to go to MacDonalds and I have something else in mind, I should just say it because for all I know, the other person could like that idea even better. It's not going to cause conflict. That 9-ish fear of voicing their own opinions/needs just doesn't make much sense to me, and I don't seem to have it.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think sometimes the people who write enneagram descriptions of types other than their own don't really understand what they're seeing. Like, it doesn't occur to them that someone might not have a preference among even a couple dozen choices, it's all the same to them. I don't have fear, either, of saying what I do want if there is something I do want -- most of the time I get it, because in the other person's mind, they have had their own way so many times. It's hard to understand that it's no sacrifice; I don't do what the other person wants because they want it -- I do what they want because I don't care what we do. People read into "I don't care, what do you want to do" because they think it's being obliging, when it means literally what it says. :)

B

brainheart

Another thing: Unlike most 9's, I become more reflective and introspective when I'm unhealthy, not less. Could a Fi-Si loop cause a 9 to become extremely introspective and brooding?

You've been doing the same little dance I've done in the past: 4-5-4-9, etc...

But what you say in your quote here is the major tip-off that you are not a nine. I was always looking at the exceptions for myself, too, but the levels of health, what you're like when you're unhealthy, that's what really matters, ime. Nines gloss it over, vanish, fours get tragic and deep.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
I think sometimes the people who write enneagram descriptions of types other than their own don't really understand what they're seeing. Like, it doesn't occur to them that someone might not have a preference among even a couple dozen choices, it's all the same to them. I don't have fear, either, of saying what I do want if there is something I do want -- most of the time I get it, because in the other person's mind, they have had their own way so many times. It's hard to understand that it's no sacrifice; I don't do what the other person wants because they want it -- I do what they want because I don't care what we do. People read into "I don't care, what do you want to do" because they think it's being obliging, when it means literally what it says. :)

Bingo!!! My husband has a hard time believing me that I usually don't really have a preference. :laugh:

He is certain that I'm afraid to voice my preference. I've explained this a number of times and it has sunk in a little bit, but he still doesn't quite believe me, haha.

Silveresque

You've been doing the same little dance I've done in the past: 4-5-4-9, etc...

But what you say in your quote here is the major tip-off that you are not a nine. I was always looking at the exceptions for myself, too, but the levels of health, what you're like when you're unhealthy, that's what really matters, ime. Nines gloss it over, vanish, fours get tragic and deep.

That's what I thought. But I really don't want to be INFP 4w5, because that would put me right back where I started. :(

I have now been every combination of INFP/INTP and each of the types in my tritype. (INFP 4w5, INFP 5w4, INTP 5w4, INTP 4w5, INTP 9w1, and INFP 9w1) :laugh:

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I get, "You're so easygoing!"
and then in fairness I try to explain why actually that's not true at all ... for the time when they come up against a "Hell no, no way."

Noon

9(w1) is second strongest in my tritype I believe, and I had an e9 friend for at least 3 years. So I hope I can say at least something?

Here's my big issue: All the descriptions I read of type 9 make them seem like they have no sense of self and are too willing to go along with what others want, ignoring their own needs. Do all 9's have trouble voicing their opinions and objections, or saying "no" when they don't want to do something? Can the presence of Fi and Sx have an impact on this tendency, making a 9 more aware of her own needs and desires, and less willing to compromise them?

imo It's not necessarily that the sense of self is lacking, but rather that the sense of need is vague. Few things feel certainly urgent to a 9. The attitude that "everything will work out eventually" leads to the perception that it's alright to wait out this one thing at the moment. It then snowballs into putting many things off indefinitely, and by that time it may feel overwhelming enough to put it off even further.

But if someone asks me what I want to do and I actually do have a preference, I'll voice it. Why withhold my preference (for fear that the other person won't like it) when I don't necessarily know what the other person wants? If someone asks if want to go to MacDonalds and I have something else in mind, I should just say it because for all I know, the other person could like that idea even better. It's not going to cause conflict. That 9-ish fear of voicing their own opinions/needs just doesn't make much sense to me, and I don't seem to have it.

A 9 above all is concerned with his or her own sense of ease, comfort, autonomy, and familiarity. Simply put, a 9 does not want to be overly bothered. Conflict-avoidance is just a means to that end. It means

- Less energy spent, thus more internal stability
- Less tense or volatile atmosphere (external and internal), thus more comfort
- Less dramatic change, thus more internal familiarity

What the 9 might do is simply withdraw, mentally or physically, thus in reality she or he is only yielding on things that she or he has no real investment in. There is no need to defend a sphere that you are not residing in! Or, she or he may yield around others while secretly indulging him or her self when alone.

On things that the 9 really cares for, you will be met with astonishing stubbornness and passive resistance. And when a 9 is really fed up with others interfering with his or her sense of comfort, he or she will either have an angry outburst or disconnect from them entirely.

If a 9 has a preference and knows that stating it won't sully the atmosphere, he or she would be more outspoken.

My 9 friend and I both had a fear that we would risk driving others away and ruining the atmosphere if we made a big fuss over things, or made a big scene out of something, or started something that ended up becoming a huge confrontation.

We trusted each other though, so we were both upfront about things that bothered us or that we disagreed with/didn't want to do. It also helped that we knew which signs to look for.

It would take a lot of stress for a 9 to want to block so much out. Have you ever been stressed to such a degree?

B

brainheart

That's what I thought. But I really don't want to be INFP 4w5, because that would put me right back where I started. :(

I have now been every combination of INFP/INTP and each of the types in my tritype. (INFP 4w5, INFP 5w4, INTP 5w4, INTP 4w5, INTP 9w1, and INFP 9w1) :laugh:

Nah, it just means you're an infp and your first intuition tends to be right-on, but you don't like to end things so you keep taking in new information to keep it open. My latest is- am I really an sx/sp? Nah, I'm probably sp/sx- I've switched through those about twenty times. But the 4w5 infp is a for sure, no matter how many times I try to change it.

You seemed pretty convinced about sp/so I thought.

Silveresque

imo It's not necessarily that the sense of self is lacking, but rather that the sense of need is vague. Few things feel certainly urgent to a 9. The attitude that "everything will work out eventually" leads to the perception that it's alright to wait out this one thing at the moment. It then snowballs into putting many things off indefinitely, and by that time it may feel overwhelming enough to put it off even further.

A 9 above all is concerned with his or her own sense of ease, comfort, autonomy, and familiarity. Simply put, a 9 does not want to be overly bothered. Conflict-avoidance is just a means to that end. It means

- Less energy spent, thus more internal stability
- Less tense or volatile atmosphere (external and internal), thus more comfort
- Less dramatic change, thus more internal familiarity

What the 9 might do is simply withdraw, mentally or physically, thus in reality she or he is only yielding on things that she or he has no real investment in. There is no need to defend a sphere that you are not residing in! Or, she or he may yield around others while secretly indulging him or her self when alone.

On things that the 9 really cares for, you will be met with astonishing stubbornness and passive resistance. And when a 9 is really fed up with others interfering with his or her sense of comfort, he or she will either have an angry outburst or disconnect from them entirely.

If a 9 has a preference and knows that stating it won't sully the atmosphere, he or she would be more outspoken.

My 9 friend and I both had a fear that we would risk driving others away and ruining the atmosphere if we made a big fuss over things, or made a big scene out of something, or started something that ended up becoming a huge confrontation.

We trusted each other though, so we were both upfront about things that bothered us or that we disagreed with/didn't want to do. It also helped that we knew which signs to look for.

I can certainly relate to comfort and ease. :yes: And I consider asserting myself a way to maintain harmony rather than a force against it, so I think a 9 could certainly choose to be more assertive and outspoken.

It would take a lot of stress for a 9 to want to block so much out. Have you ever been stressed to such a degree?

Possibly. Though I wonder if it doesn't have to be all negative emotion that a 9 blocks out. I don't mind melancholy, so I don't try to block that out, but shame/embarrassment is often unbearable, so that's something I would try to block out or at least distract myself from. Also, I don't want to experience "bad" feelings like anger, envy, and hate, so I block those out.

You seemed pretty convinced about sp/so I thought.

Yeah, but that was when I was a 4. If I'm a 9, Sp/Sx might be better, since Sp/So 9's are the most self-effacing and least assertive of all stackings, and I'm not self-effacing and not that unassertive. 9's are also the least in touch with their instincts, so that could explain why all my instincts seem weak.

wolfy

awsm
Some random thoughts on 9...

I think that the ideal of a nine is love. Love as the acceptance of things as they are, including conflict. Everyone seeks to control and adapt to their environment in some way. Correct adaptation would be the right response at the right time to the right degree. That is difficult if not impossible for anyone to achieve so everyone will have ways they try to get what they want. Nines have a tendency to shut down in conflict in average to unhealthy stages, that might mean shutting down psychologically while at the same time being belligerent. I think that could happen. I'm 9w8 which means I have an 8 wing, 8's seem opposite to 9 but isn't it really just the reverse side of the same coin?

I think the right thing for a 9 to work is paying attention, dealing with things as they arise in a balanced way.

Silveresque

Nines have a tendency to shut down in conflict in average to unhealthy stages, that might mean shutting down psychologically while at the same time being belligerent.

I have a question. What exactly do you mean when you say that 9's "shut down" in conflict? Do you mean they give in and try to appease? Or is it more like walking away and avoiding the problem? Does this include conflicts going on around them (even if they're not involved)?

wolfy

awsm
I have a question. What exactly do you mean when you say that 9's "shut down" in conflict? Do you mean they give in and try to appease? Or is it more like walking away and avoiding the problem? Does this include conflicts going on around them (even if they're not involved)?

I am just talking from personal experience here but... When I say shut down I mean shut down physically / psychologically. In a conflict it is easy for me to put a barrier between me and the other person. I remember visualising it like metal shutters coming down on a tank. For me, conflicts around me I tend to watch and get a feel for what is happening. The dynamic can interest me. I can try and find a balance in conflict between the different views, but I don't see that as appeasing because I include myself and my own views.

So when I say shut down it is a combination of psychological and physical shutting down. Taken too far it breaks any back and forth communication. Done just right it is perfect.

I'm guessing all nines would shut down and then look for ways to relieve that. And that is where style would come in.

Silveresque

I am just talking from personal experience here but... When I say shut down I mean shut down physically / psychologically. In a conflict it is easy for me to put a barrier between me and the other person. I remember visualising it like metal shutters coming down on a tank. For me, conflicts around me I tend to watch and get a feel for what is happening. The dynamic can interest me. I can try and find a balance in conflict between the different views, but I don't see that as appeasing because I include myself and my own views.

So when I say shut down it is a combination of psychological and physical shutting down. Taken too far it breaks any back and forth communication. Done just right it is perfect.

I'm guessing all nines would shut down and then look for ways to relieve that. And that is where style would come in.

I might be able to relate to that, but I can't be sure. :shrug: I haven't been in too many conflict situations.

Noon

Possibly. Though I wonder if it doesn't have to be all negative emotion that a 9 blocks out. I don't mind melancholy, so I don't try to block that out, but shame/embarrassment is often unbearable, so that's something I would try to block out or at least distract myself from. Also, I don't want to experience "bad" feelings like anger, envy, and hate, so I block those out.
I think most 9s would only block out something deemed personally destabilizing. That varies from individual to individual.

Silveresque

Here's a post by Torai from Personality Cafe:
A few differences between 4 and 9:

9's try to sugarcoat things to avoid conflict. 4's ultimately don't care as long as they express their unique views on things.

4's primary mode during depression is to take their emotions into their identity... They're more willing to look into the dark side of themselves and be completely honest. Although, once a 4 looks too much, they might grab onto a dark identity and make it into their character.

9's look to get away from their depression through influencing their emotions. This does not mean that 9's are unaware of their darker emotions, they just don't want to identify with them too much for fear of permanently destroying their inner peace.

4's care so much about individualism it really hurts to see some of them... 9's would rather keep the peace than express their negative side for all the world to see.

Also, huge difference between Fours and Nines you see on this forum all the time. Fours express their views passionately and without shame, and Nines try to be a little bit more tact about it, sometimes not even taking a side.

I identify much more with the 9 side of these distinctions. Also, back when I was unhealthy, I became extremely introspective and brooding like a 4, but at the same time I didn't feel like myself. I felt like I was exaggerating everything and making things seem much worse than they really were (which I was). I didn't want to stay that way because I was afraid of being permanently changed by it, so while there was a part of me that wanted to wallow in self-pity and melancholy, there was also a part of me that was resisting and preventing myself from going too far. Maybe that's the difference between a 4 and a 9. Maybe if I were a 4, I would have embraced my melancholy more fully and accepted it as a part of my identity, but I just couldn't do that.

Silveresque

Really? Life seems full of conflict to me. I mean that in a good way.

Maybe, but I get along with everyone. If I disagree with someone, I do it in a way that avoids conflict. If someone says something harsh or offensive, I rarely take it personally. It's pretty hard to make me angry, so I never get into conflicts with anyone.