• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 9] Any 9 experts around here?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ah, OK. I was just taking a wild guess. You might be right, maybe 7s are usually E.

What's your tritype, or what's your second highest E type after 9?

(Although, I'll bet INFP [MENTION=13402]Saturned[/MENTION] has a lot of 7 in her Enneagram.... [/derail])

5. Thought I was for years, and usually test almost dead even.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I'm an ENFP 9 and 7 is actually my lowest number of all according to my last test (although that's probably wrong).

Let's not confuse 7 with being fun. Being HIGH!!! and fun are different things :D

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
I'm an ENFP 9 and 7 is actually my lowest number of all according to my last test (although that's probably wrong).

Let's not confuse 7 with being fun. Being HIGH!!! and fun are different things :D

:laugh: Ok, fair enough. Didn't mean to imply otherwise. :laugh:

Silveresque

I didn't say anyone was incapable of anything. But here's the deal:

Pathological Nines don't become locked in their heads like Fives, they become locked in their bodies - they become locked in a state of physical inertia and easy-going malleability. They become so comfortable and down-to-earth that they forget to show off and make something of themselves. Serenity is a fundamentally physical state - you're adopting an easy-going, malleable, physical presence that is inviting and calm and totally not getting in your way.

Pathological Fives get so locked in a state of "preparation" that they practically forget they exist - everything has to be analysed and figured out before-hand, to the point where they forget to simply get up and do something. Detachment emerges from the mind - it's a need to separate from what's going on around you, and internalise what you're seeing, instead of participating.

There's a very real distinction between body and mind that these pathological states help to illustrate. It's a case of figuring out which side of the spectrum you lean toward when you're not in your best state.

Sorry, I meant to answer this earlier. Anyways, when you describe it as "physical inertia", I can certainly relate to that. My body just doesn't want to get out of this chair. I never really saw easy-going malleability and serenity as physical states, though. If they are, I'm probably more body-oriented than I thought.

This kind of confirms 9 for me, because I really don't see that "preparation" in me. I will purposefully avoid preparation if it's making me too anxious. Some people like to go over all the material in their heads right before they take a test. I can't do that. I refuse to think about it after the point of no return, because it's only going to make me anxious.

Vizzy

Enneagram
5w4
I've never actually been in a relationship, but I think I might do the same thing you do a little bit, though probably not to the same extent. Instead of thoroughly researching what to do in different situations of a relationship, I would probably just ask a friend what's normal in that kind of situation, if and when it comes up. The only reasons I might avoid starting a relationship would be a) I don't know if that person's right for me, and I would hate to have to reject him, or b) I don't think he's interested in me. As for the w4 part, I don't know. I guess I look forward to analyzing feelings sometimes. I can't say I usually have much to analyze.

Actually, this kind of reminds me of something my 5w4 friend in real life asked me. She asked me if I ever do "people watching", where you sit and watch people to learn about how to interact with people, what kind of clothes are popular, and social norms in general. I had never really thought of doing such a thing. I'm pretty much oblivious to what goes on around me most of the time.
The bolded part is probably the difference. I know that I can always dig out something around or within me to analyze...for fun or not. I don't even think "dig" is the right word because it's no effort at all.

Oh yeah, I do what your friend does, even while interacting with people. "So that's what people do...hmm..."

You've probably done it before, but how do you see 8 compared with 1?
Personally, I think you're more of the latter (as a wing, at least)...but yeah, try out 9w8 for now.

Silveresque

The bolded part is probably the difference. I know that I can always dig out something around or within me to analyze...for fun or not. I don't even think "dig" is the right word because it's no effort at all.

Oh yeah, I do what your friend does, even while interacting with people. "So that's what people do...hmm..."

You've probably done it before, but how do you see 8 compared with 1?
Personally, I think you're more of the latter (as a wing, at least)...but yeah, try out 9w8 for now.

Here's the part of 9w1 that doesn't fit me:

Under stress, nineish withdrawal increases, accompanied by oneish judgment of self and others. 9/1 retreats into a fantasy world inhabited by comfortably fuzzy generalities and stereotyped images of other people. These are the people 9/1 wishes could inhabit the real world -- wishful, perfect images of real people. Unfortunately, because 9/1 is convinced of the reality of these internally generated images, real-life interactions suffer when people do not live up to their idealized images. But the 9/1 tries very hard not to notice.

In the extreme, it becomes nearly impossible not to see the discrepancies between the perfect inner images and the outward reality. Total isolation becomes the only way to avoid seeing that the world is populated by disturbingly imperfect, unpredictable, demanding, untrustworthy beings. Life falls apart at the seams and psychotic 9/1 eventually may reach a state of catatonic pseudo-coma. Even eating and drinking can become too much work. No one is home in the body, and the body itself is allowed to fall into ruins.

The problem is, I don't have the 1-ish high standards for others. Other people are fine just the way they are. I don't try to distort my perception of people by holding an idealized image of them (at least I don't think I do :unsure:).

9w1 could fit me if by seeing other people as perfect just the way they are, and not really noticing any flaws in them, I actually am holding idealized images of people without realizing it. But I always saw it more as withholding judgment of people. I make a conscious effort not to think badly of anyone no matter what they do. It's not really that I'm distorting the person in any way, I'm just trying to keep an open mind and not be judgmental, which seems kind of opposite of w1. But maybe I'm just overthinking this. :shrug:

Stressed 9/8 tends to fall into an unselfed dream state. If the dream deepens, apathy leads to sixish suspicion, while eightish defensiveness leads to fiveish paranoia. Nine's primary defense of withdrawal is enhanced by both tendencies, and 9/8 becomes a reclusive, lazy, mistrustful, hermit.

In the worst cases, the tendency to escape by going to sleep leads to total avoidance of any kind of real interaction. Bills go unpaid, the phone rings without being answered, and the lawn goes unmowed. Somnolence leads 9/8 deeper and deeper into self-negation, resulting in a paranoid sort of comatose sloth. No one is home in the body, and the body is powered down. Can there be any life at all in such a dead state?

I've never really related to 6's suspicion, and I feel like I would have to get pretty irrational for that to ever happen. Same with 5-ish paranoia. But I think I could relate to the second part. I've never been that unhealthy, but on my less healthy days I feel totally incapable of getting anything done. When I'm like that, I feel too tired to deal with anything, and my mind skips over anything painful that I don't want to think about. I become extremely sloth-like and unproductive.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
[MENTION=14216]RevlisZero[/MENTION]

How old are you? Maybe you've always been pretty healthy, and haven't been in any high stress situations.

I probably couldn't relate to the paranoia and suspicion either, until I was in a very stressful situation in my thirties. I've related to it twice in my life, both times on and off over a couple of years, due to workplace situations.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I think I've experienced that 6w5ness and I think it comes in an elusive form. Paranoia and suspicion are not the right words. Those would be the extreme characteristics of what I felt when down. Extreme internal conflict and doubt about whether to maintain certain relationships and activities would be a better way to put it.

Silveresque

[MENTION=14216]RevlisZero[/MENTION]

How old are you? Maybe you've always been pretty healthy, and haven't been in any high stress situations.

I probably couldn't relate to the paranoia and suspicion either, until I was in a very stressful situation in my thirties. I've related to it twice in my life, both times on and off over a couple of years, due to workplace situations.

I'm 18. To be honest, I don't think I've ever actually been in the healthy range, just average. High school was stressful enough, since I took really hard classes and probably averaged 4 hours of homework per night (and had plenty of occasions of 5-7 hours per night for weeks at a time). But I'm not sure that's the kind of stress that causes suspicion and paranoia. :p

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
I'm 18. To be honest, I don't think I've ever actually been in the healthy range, just average. High school was stressful enough, since I took really hard classes and probably averaged 4 hours of homework per night (and had plenty of occasions of 5-7 hours per night for weeks at a time). But I'm not sure that's the kind of stress that causes suspicion and paranoia. :p

Yeah. I think it's hard to tell when you're that young. You might get a better idea later on. In the meantime, just be yourself and don't stress about it. ;)

Silveresque

I read that 9w8's are more likely to express their anger physically than 9w1's, and 9w1's are more likely to express it by yelling. If that's true, I probably side more with 9w8 on this one. I used to get so frustrated I would throw things when I was a little kid. And even now, when I get extremely angry, I first get away from the person who's making me angry, then I start pacing around in my room because I can't just sit and be angry. I don't think I've ever yelled at anyone, though. The closest I ever come is talking angrily, but not necessarily loudly.

I also found this:

9w8 assertive, passive aggressive (slow burn), assertive

9w1 passive. aggressive (explosion, diffusion of tension). passive.

I'm rarely assertive, though I think I could be if I needed to be. I'm not so passive that I won't say what needs to be said. I've exploded before a couple times, but much more often I'm passive aggressive. My parents have told me I tend to drag my heels when I don't want to do something...and it's true.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I'm not sure where you found that, but it seems contradictory and inaccurate. I would expect 9w8s to be more explosive to diffuse tension [what 8s do] and 9w1s to be more passive aggressive.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
I read that 9w8's are more likely to express their anger physically than 9w1's, and 9w1's are more likely to express it by yelling. If that's true, I probably side more with 9w8 on this one. I used to get so frustrated I would throw things when I was a little kid. And even now, when I get extremely angry, I first get away from the person who's making me angry, then I start pacing around in my room because I can't just sit and be angry. I don't think I've ever yelled at anyone, though. The closest I ever come is talking angrily, but not necessarily loudly.

Ah ha! I hadn't thought of it that way in terms of the 8w, but now that I think about it, is very true for me. My mom said when I was really little (like 2 or 3), I would hit my older sister when I was mad. :laugh: When I got a little older, instead of hitting her, I would fantasize about hitting her and then maybe go throw something instead. Even to this day, when I'm extremely angry at someone, I fantasize about how much I'd like to kick them in the head or punch them in the face, and then go do some exercise to get my aggression out. :laugh: I thought everyone did that, but maybe 8ers do it more, haha.

I hadn't thought of that until you brought it up, because it's so rare that I get angry. For little things, I can just curse and laugh it off, and I'm done. And actually because of that, I have to be careful around people who get angry easily at little things, because I don't see it coming and don't understand it. It's a serious blind spot of mine.

I'm rarely assertive, though I think I could be if I needed to be. I'm not so passive that I won't say what needs to be said. I've exploded before a couple times, but much more often I'm passive aggressive. My parents have told me I tend to drag my heels when I don't want to do something...and it's true.

I'm usually assertive unless there's a good reason I'm afraid to be. That's when I run into problems and get all conflicted about what to do. I don't think I'm passive aggressive, but I could be wrong. I also drag my heels when I don't want to do something.

Silveresque

I'm not sure where you found that, but it seems contradictory and inaccurate. I would expect 9w8s to be more explosive to diffuse tension [what 8s do] and 9w1s to be more passive aggressive.

Yeah, I see your point. Then again, 1's are explosive too (trust me, I've been living with one :dry:), so I don't know. :shrug:

I found that here: http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11018&whichpage=2

By the way, Oldham's "leisurely" personality style (passive-aggressive) corresponds to 9w8, not 9w1. I'm not saying this is conclusive evidence or anything, just something I've observed that fits. I've yet to see anything that indicates it's the other way around.

I'm usually assertive unless there's a good reason I'm afraid to be. That's when I run into problems and get all conflicted about what to do. I don't think I'm passive aggressive, but I could be wrong. I also drag my heels when I don't want to do something.

I thought dragging your heels kind of was passive-aggressive. :shrug: Maybe a little, anyways, since you're demonstrating a sort of passive resistance against something you don't want to do. Like when I'm having a wonderful time playing video games and just get to a good part when suddenly I get called out to do yard work--my least favorite thing in the world. I'll still do it, but I'll be really angry and drag my heels, and probably not do as good a job as I should. And when I'm finishing up something and my mom yells at me to hurry up, I'll get angry because it takes as long as it takes. Just because she said that and made me angry, I'll probably be more inclined to take longer rather than "hurry up".

And then my roommate keeps hinting that she wants me to get a poster for my area. How dare she try to manipulate me! :ng_mad: I'm not spending 10 dollars for a poster I don't need or want, and why should I have to do what she wants anyways? Why does she even care whether my area of our room has a poster? And if she wants me to get a poster, why doesn't she just come out and say it directly, rather than just dropping hints? Coward! :dry:

Whoa, maybe I do have some 8 in me! :shock:

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I'm a 9w8 and I yell when I'm angry. I never hit anyone in my life or get physical over it.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
I'm a 9w8 and I yell when I'm angry. I never hit anyone in my life or get physical over it.

Not hitting shows self control, which is good, and may be a 9 trait. But do you ever get the urge to, or imagine it, when you're really angry?

Silveresque

I don't throw things anymore, that was just when I was a little kid before I learned self-control. And I've never hit anyone before, or even imagined it. But maybe it's not a 9w8 thing? I don't know. :shrug:

Silveresque

How easily distracted are you?

It depends on what you mean. I sometimes get distracted in the sense that I can't focus or finish what I've started, but not usually in the sense that something more interesting catches my attention, if that makes any sense. There are some days where I just can't get anything done because I can't focus.