• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 4] Fours Instinct Questionnaire

Richardsen

MBTI Type
IxFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1) 4w5 (100% sure). And my variant stacking is Sx/Sp (60%) or Sp/Sx (40%)

2) In my alone time I think a lot ( reviewing things of the past, brooding about somebody and always listening music). My inner world takes the first place and sometimes my mood changes because of my constant brooding attitudes. I write short stories and recently paint to entertain and express myself.
In social situations Im often quiet, with an hermetic quality ( "dont fuck with me"). I think that I get a bit defensive and aggresive ( especially with men). With women it's completely different, Im more soft-spoken, gentle and compliant sometimes.

3) Ironical, cynical, quiet, I always make sure that my precense is felt in a group ( good posture, eye contact). But I don't talk very much. Im reluctant to share my interests in a large group. Beside of all of this I consider myself very self-conscious. When I get upset in a social situation Im very aggresive, and extremely intense. Sometimes I ended up fighting with people. Shy or aggresive.

4) Still quiet, but much more penetrating. I always make eye contact.
Im always trying to " break the ice" with the one that really interest me.

5) The Sx/Sp defines me a lot. Specially the mood swings, fiery outbursts and my internal emotional rage that I associate with Sx/Sp
But in the other hand Im very withdrawn and I always pursue my interests like a Sp/Sx. To me my personal space is extremely important.

6) At first I thought that I was So/Sx because of the shame and off/on quality in the social world.
Sx last was imposible because of my constant focus in the Sexual arena and my frequent shifts in my life.
But the I've realized that is no way for me to be SO first, and the few Social 4s that i've known don't vibe like me at all. My energy is more guarded and intense.
Maybe my attitude would be Sx first, but my withdrawn tendencies sounds me more like a Sp first. Or maybe my 5 wing and trifix makes me more detached and shy.
In the variant test I always score Sp or Sx first. And never social first even in the middle...

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
1) What is your type (4w3 or 4w5) and instinctual variant, and how positive are you that your variant is accurate?
4w5 sp/sx. I'm very sure this is correct.

2) How would you describe your overall focus when alone versus in social situations? EDIT: What are you focused on/thinking about?
When alone, I think about things I like -- feelings, language, fiction, my reaction to things. When in social situations, I take care to be polite and not offend anyone, and can't wait for the time I can be alone again.

3) How would you describe your interaction style when in a group?
I'd rather listen than talk. I'll contribute if I think it helps the atmosphere. If I really, really like the people in the group, I will try to learn as much as I can about them by listening to them talk. It's fascinating.

4) How would you describe your interaction style in one-on-one situations?
I'm much better in one-on-one situations. I give the other person my full attention. (If I'm hanging out with you one-on-one, it means I like you enough and am interested in you and your welfare). Then it's just natural talking. I have no problem with this at all.

5) How well does this description of your variant fit you?
Not very well. I've read descriptions that make sp/sx people sound all mysterious and unique and reserved and sensual, and I don't identify with that at all. (I've gotta admit it sounds nice, but no, that's not me)

6) How did you decide on your variant? Was there anything that gave it away, or else made you change your mind from what you previously thought it was?
Eliminating the social instinct was easy. I have absolutely no interest in social interactions. I'm perfectly happy with having only a few good friends. So I knew I probably had social last.

Deciding on sp-first was also fairly easy. I'm a hoarder. I collect things. I always have backups. I'm prudent with money. I have very low risk tolerance. I love being at home. Safety is important. I don't try a lot of new things. (I'm not averse to trying new things, but I don't actively seek them out to try). I don't tend to over-eat or over-sleep, though. (Although my bf claims I unconsciously start eating sugar items when I'm under stress :tongue:)

The sx instinct was a bit problematic. When I first learned about the instincts, I sort of decided I was sp/sx, but I didn't totally identify with the sx aspect. I didn't have a lot of drama in my life. As a teenager, I never went crazy over boys. I didn't understand what the fuss was all about and I felt I was better off alone. But then I met my current bf, and suddenly it makes much more sense. I feel the connection very intensely. Sometimes it's so intense it scares me. I want to connect. I want to merge and become one entity. I feel the thirst, the longing, and I can't get enough of it. This conflicts greatly with my sp and a lot of the time I alternate between wanting the relationship and wanting to run away screaming.

One thing that made it very clear to me is the long distance situation going on with my relationship. Eventually I might have to choose between having a safe, secure environment and having my true love. It's a very hard decision to make. But I know I would probably let the relationship go if staying together meant an unstable future.

Hope that helps :blush:

Aurora James

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
1) 4w5 (absolutely sure, I'm very 5-ish) so/sp (about 90% sure)

2) Alone, I focus on my inner world, which includes my imagination, my feelings, and thoughts about almost anything. Socially, I am acutely aware of the many differences between myself and others, and often feel like an outsider - I really, really want to belong, but I just don't and never will fit in completely. I am sure most people would misunderstand me, and I am very shy because of this. Most people think I am cold and aloof because I keep to myself all of the time. I am much more comfortable around other "different" people and feel like I belong, but I still keep my intense feelings hidden, as I often feel like they will push people I love away from me.

3) In large groups, I stay at the fringes because the energy of so many people can be really overwhelming (I have a heavy 5 wing that I can blame for that). I prefer being in a small groups of friends.

4) I can be extremely talkative and open on a one-on-one level and enjoy deep conversations.

5) Yes, it does.

6) I read descriptions of variants until I found something that seemed like me.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
Since it turns out I'm actually a 4 now, I might as well make one for 4's. :D

1) What is your type (4w3 or 4w5) and instinctual variant, and how positive are you that your variant is accurate?

I am certain of my instinctual variant. Discovering my Enneatype is an ongoing journey. I am leaning towards 4w3 at the moment, but I have considered 4w5, 3w4 and even 6w5 and 6w7.

2) How would you describe your overall focus when alone versus in social situations? EDIT: What are you focused on/thinking about?

When I'm alone, I could be concerned with anything, so it's a moot point really. You may as well ask me how I feel over the course of a day ;) However, I have social anxiety, and I am very sensitive to how others might perceive me (especially girls). I feel like this consumes my mind and makes it hard for me to focus when I'm forced into a social situation.

I don't interact.

I tend to let the other person lead unless I know them well, in which case I will engage enthusiastically.

Pretty well...

6) How did you decide on your variant? Was there anything that gave it away, or else made you change your mind from what you previously thought it was?

I was prompted to consider it on the forum, but made a decision through reading descriptions of the variants (especially at 9types.com).

ARET45

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
4w5
I am a 4w5. Self-preservation or social variant. I am fairly certain that either of these variants are accurate.
When I am alone I am quite calm. Yet I can also be depressive and miserable. Usually I think about my artistic endeavours.
In the group, I am the outsider. I stay on the outside, and either watch or do my own thing.
In one-to-one situations, I can be talkative. I come across as opinionated, thoughtful, headstrong, yet calm.
Most of it does.
Through reading the type 4 variant descriptions, I decided my variant.

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Since it turns out I'm actually a 4 now, I might as well make one for 4's.

1) What is your type (4w3 or 4w5) and instinctual variant, and how positive are you that your variant is accurate? 4w5, self preservation.

2) How would you describe your overall focus when alone versus in social situations? EDIT: What are you focused on/thinking about? I like lots of alone time and feel comfortable in just my own company. However, I do like being out of my comfort zone sometimes. I think about myself first in any situation; I wouldn't say I'm totally selfish but somewhat. I do care about some people.

3) How would you describe your interaction style when in a group? It depends. If I like the group, I can be talkative and cheerful. If I feel I don't fit in, I tend to withdraw.

4) How would you describe your interaction style in one-on-one situations? It depends. If it's someone I'm close to, I'm fine with it. If not, it can be awkward.

5) How well does this description of your variant fit you? Very well.

6) How did you decide on your variant? Was there anything that gave it away, or else made you change your mind from what you previously thought it was? The test I took told me.