• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other/Multiple Enneatypes] Three or Four?

emdashem

I'm wondering if I'm a 3w4 or a 4w3 -- I always test as one of these. Any insights would be very much appreciated!

In favor of being a 3
My career is very important to me, as is
appearing succesful and competent, behaving appropriately, and being well-liked by my peers, work superiors, etc.
I also score high on 9 (suggesting I'm a stressed out 3?)
When I'm very upset, I try to distract myself with activities

In favor of being a 4w3
I'm a depressive and am (alas) generally very aware of what I'm feeling
I'm sensitive
My career is actually involved with creative self-expression (I'm a writer/editor)
Longing and envy are for sure some of my more noticeable negative traits!

I've also scored as an INFJ. I have dramatic instincts, but I fight them!

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm wondering if I'm a 3w4 or a 4w3 -- I always test as one of these. Any insights would be very much appreciated!

In favor of being a 3
My career is very important to me, as is
appearing succesful and competent, behaving appropriately, and being well-liked by my peers, work superiors, etc.
I also score high on 9 (suggesting I'm a stressed out 3?)
When I'm very upset, I try to distract myself with activities

In favor of being a 4w3
I'm a depressive and am (alas) generally very aware of what I'm feeling
I'm sensitive
My career is actually involved with creative self-expression (I'm a writer/editor)
Longing and envy are for sure some of my more noticeable negative traits!

I've also scored as an INFJ. I have dramatic instincts, but I fight them!

3w4 on grounds that you fight your dramatic instincts. 4w3s indulge their dramatic instincts more than any other type

emdashem

Full disclosure--I fight my dramatic instincts because I've had years of therapy. Until my early 20s I had no such compunctions! But I suppose lots of children and teenagers have dramatic instincts, and this doesn't necessarily make them 4s...

Thanks, Elfboy!

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Full disclosure--I fight my dramatic instincts because I've had years of therapy. Until my early 20s I had no such compunctions! But I suppose lots of children and teenagers have dramatic instincts, and this doesn't necessarily make them 4s...
Thanks, Elfboy!

that would make a little more sense as a 4, but I would need more information to analyze to figure out your type

emdashem

If you don't mind doing some analyzing, I'm happy to provide any information (not sure what you'd need to know, though).

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
just more information for starters :yes:

emdashem

Huh. Well, I don't often fight with anyone. I've been in therapy for most of my life, have been on antidepressants for about 20 years, and am very grateful for both! I'm generally very happy in romantic relationships. I'm terrified of seeming needy and/or histrionic. I read a lot. I want to be liked and admired. I cry easily. I'm sympathetic. I think I'm funny. I'm self-absorbed (no kidding) and constantly fantasize about my what I want: a successful writing career, marriage and children. I'm at ease with friends, friendly people and most strangers, but am often relieved to be by myself. I love city life. I'm agnostic and politically liberal. My parents are married, I have one younger sister. I think happiness is a skill. I'm female. When I was growing up, I wanted to be a famous actor really, really badly. Now not so much, though I'm comfortable being the center of attention (as a rule!) My talking style is treatise, but if I had to choose between propaganda (3) and lamentation (4), I'd go with lamentation, though, again, not so much since therapy. I don't like show-offs or hypocrites, and try my best not to be either. I'm afraid of being abandoned and of not being good enough as a writer.

Is that helpful?

Thunderbringer

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
EDIT: Posted message after your post.

Anyway, from what you've said, you seem very much like a 3w4.

emdashem

Thanks, Thunderbringer.

My goals are to meet and settle down with a loving, stable partner; to have and raise a healthy, happy child; to write and publish a novel, to make a decent living as a journalist; to be able to provide for my parents if necessary; to not have to worry about health insurance; to be able to save for the future, and to live in a city. I'm 38.

I'd also like to learn to play the guitar and sew, and travel more.

Thunderbringer

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Thanks, Thunderbringer.

My goals are to meet and settle down with a loving, stable partner; to have and raise a healthy, happy child; to write and publish a novel, to make a decent living as a journalist; to be able to provide for my parents if necessary; to not have to worry about health insurance; to be able to save for the future, and to live in a city. I'm 38.

I'd also like to learn to play the guitar and sew, and travel more.

Yeah, that solidifies 3w4 for you IMO. Your goals are very much personal and grounded, which coincides more with the 4 wing rather than "social" oriented and grandiose like that of the 2 wing. I could also see you as a 4w3, though you don't seem to be very dramatic.

emdashem

Thanks again, Thunderbringer. I was thinking that my dramatic/melancholy streak--which was very prominent (and enjoyed by myself) when I was a child and teenager--made me a 4, but perhaps that was a side effect of being young and literally immature. After all, young people are not generally known for their emotional stability.