• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 5] Fives Sp/So and So/Sp

Silveresque

What are some of the main differences between these two variants? How can one tell whether Sp or So is one's dominant instinct? Some examples would be nice too.

G

Glycerine

It may also help to ask on personality cafe and personality nation forums because those sites have their own enneagram 5 sub-forums and seem to have more traffic regarding enneagram. :)

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No no, go ahead and ask here. This is the friendliest forum over all. The difference is uhhh I took a test and read the descriptions so I could determine my dominant instinctual. :p

G

Glycerine

No no, go ahead and ask here. This is the friendliest forum over all. The difference is uhhh I took a test and read the descriptions so I could determine my dominant instinctual. :p

I said. "also". ;) I did not say she shouldn't ask here but those sites could be other resources.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
So-dom 5s prefer to teach, clarify and explain; Sp-dom 5s prefer to research, refine, and examine. Shaman vs. scholar.

That's my understanding of it, in any case. :thinking:

Silveresque

So-dom 5s prefer to teach, clarify and explain; Sp-dom 5s prefer to research, refine, and examine. Shaman vs. scholar.

Okay, but how can you teach, clarify, and explain without first researching, refining, and examining?

Okay, but how can you teach, clarify, and explain without first researching, refining, and examining?

It's not a matter of doing one but not the other. Clearly you do both; it's a matter of which process you prefer though.

Silveresque

It's not a matter of doing one but not the other. Clearly you do both; it's a matter of which process you prefer though.

I suppose I prefer teaching, clarifying, and explaining. I'm happiest when I can help people by sharing my knowledge.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I have never read that until now. Did you actually buy that expensive booklet on the subject of Instinctuals? I saw one for $30 online.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Social 5 reach the attention of the audience toward their knowlege and want to enlarge themseve toward discovery. Sp use their intelect to build a stronghold who maintain them withdrawn and assure their safety.

Typycal So/Sp 5: Albert Einstein, Peter Gabriel, Isaac Asimov, Stephen Hawking, Sherlock Holmes.

Typycal Sp/So 5: Bill Gates, Allan Greenspan, Alfred Hitchcock, Mark Zuckerberg, Comic Book guy from The Simspons.

Silveresque

Social 5 reach the attention of the audience toward their knowlege and want to enlarge themseve toward discovery. Sp use their intelect to build a stronghold who maintain them withdrawn and assure their safety.

Typycal So/Sp 5: Albert Einstein, Peter Gabriel, Isaac Asimov, Stephen Hawking, Sherlock Holmes.

Typycal Sp/So 5: Bill Gates, Allan Greenspan, Alfred Hitchcock, Mark Zuckerberg, Comic Book guy from The Simspons.

I like the So/Sp's better, so now I'm biased. :alttongue:

But bias aside, just because you relate to someone doesn't mean it's because of their variant, so I'm not sure how useful these examples are. Could you maybe explain what makes them these variants?

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I have never read that until now. Did you actually buy that expensive booklet on the subject of Instinctuals? I saw one for $30 online.

I haven't read that much on the Enneagram besides online descriptions... Like I said, it was my understanding, only that. :blush:

As for examples, though, would you say Dr. Dillamond from Wicked is a So-dom Five? :thinking:

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Cross-check your typings before announcing them as typical.

Correct on Einstein though, an entp. Also see Dustin Hoffman, Lennon, that asshole Demetri Martin, Weird Al, all so/sp e54s entps.
Gabriel's an sp/so e54 intp. Also see Skip Spence, whose riff from the song "War in Peace" turned out to be a pretty lucrative thievery. Hendrix too. (open to discussion so long as you don't employ a billion videos per retort.)

Hawking and Gates are so/sx e56 intjs.

Greenspan's a sx/sp e54 istj (watch the 60 minutes interview with the sp/sx e45 infp). Bernanke's your sp/so e65 infp.

Correct, Hitchcock's your sp/so e54 infp (see J. Mascis).

Incorrect, Zuckerberg's a so/sp e54 intp (please question that).

When I think of so/sp 5s, I think of Dennis Lambert
(whose songs get a ton of airplay through the Four Tops, Commodores, Glen Campbell),
Ariel Pink, Harry Nilsson, Todd Rundgren, Mayfield, Brian Wilson, Steve Stapleton, Laurie Anderson, etc.
Flavors kinda go from giddy and enthusiastic to cold then back again, emphasis on cold rather than moody.

Anytime you recognize projects which promote frill and shackle-free sharing of information, like Creative Commons, UbuWeb, Archive.org, etc., so/sp 5s probably run em.

wing 6 so/sps, from my understanding, are figures like Slick Rick, Rakim, the Daft Punk guys, Kraftwerk, etc. Their clarity of mind often quickly puts everything I've ever considered into perspective, then some.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What are some of the main differences between these two variants? How can one tell whether Sp or So is one's dominant instinct? Some examples would be nice too.

I can only speak for myself. The differences are explained on websites. I test as Sp and Sp/So describes me best. How does this play into my more limited Sx instinct? I'm very sexual, have been since I was around 8 years old. I had my first crush when I was 10. However, I did not seek a girlfriend (I'm hetero) as a teen and I did not do things to attract a girlfriend. If I worked out and built myself up, it was for a reason other than attracting girls. I did not dress stylishly, I was more of an Emo before there were Emos.

So, one day when I was maybe 17 or 18 I overhear my brother ask my dad why I don't have a girlfriend. "Maybe he's gay." No, not gay. I don't think in terms of "boyfriend" either. Those with higher Sx don't understand that I'm not thinking in social-sexual terms. I'm thinking about Lord of the Rings and science fiction books.

Girls sometimes made plays at me, but I was not aware until later, maybe years later. I understand when they use the direct approach, but not hints that just whoosh right over my head.

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can only speak for myself. The differences are explained on websites. I test as Sp and Sp/So describes me best. How does this play into my more limited Sx instinct? I'm very sexual, have been since I was around 8 years old. I had my first crush when I was 10. However, I did not seek a girlfriend (I'm hetero) as a teen and I did not do things to attract a girlfriend. If I worked out and built myself up, it was for a reason other than attracting girls. I did not dress stylishly, I was more of an Emo before there were Emos.

So, one day when I was maybe 17 or 18 I overhear my brother ask my dad why I don't have a girlfriend. "Maybe he's gay." No, not gay. I don't think in terms of "boyfriend" either. Those with higher Sx don't understand that I'm not thinking in social-sexual terms. I'm thinking about Lord of the Rings and science fiction books.

Girls sometimes made plays at me, but I was not aware until later, maybe years later. I understand when they use the direct approach, but not hints that just whoosh right over my head.

Your childhood and teenage days sounds like how I have been. :D

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm sitting here at work suddenly reminded by my last post of a 5w4 friend from back in our early 20s. He was probably Sx/So. At least I know he was more compelled by the social and sexual side of things, meaning relationships, than I was. At the time it seemed that he was going through one girlfriend after another. I asked him what he was going to do on Valentines Day, and he responded, "Try to get laid, isn't that what we're supposed to do?" Hmmm, I hadn't really thought about it that particular way.

So we drive to the store to buy a Valentine's Day card for his girlfriend. I wait in the car and after the longest time he comes back with an almost completely blank card that had the number 1 on the inside. That was all there was to it. He said he had a lot of trouble finding the right card, and I could see that by his choice.

We sat there a while longer in the store parking lot while he decided what to write on the card. Eventually he set down to write something, and he showed me the results apparently seeking my approval. It read:

"You are the only

I have."

I told him I liked it.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
SP 5s are the loners of the ennea world, they find being alone a positive and take security in what they know. They find a certain safety in being away from people and learning about the ways of the world. The security in what they know is a 5 thing in general but it is especially a motivator for sp 5s. With so 5s, they are more people/group oriented. They learn about the people in the group that they integrate into.

Their niche in the group is being an expert but their need for a spot in the group and need for isolation leaves them pulled in different directions. They want to fit in in a way but view closeness as a negative. I am dominantly an sp but am so-sh in some areas so I would say I am the happy or else chaotic middle ground between these two.