• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 6] Sixes Instinct Questionnaire

Silveresque

1) What is your type (6w5 or 6w7) and instinctual variant, and how positive are you that your variant is accurate?

2) How would you describe your overall focus when alone versus in social situations?

3) How would you describe your interaction style when in a group?

4) How would you describe your interaction style in one-on-one situations?

5) How well does this description of your variant fit you?

6) How did you decide on your variant? Was there anything that gave it away, or else made you change your mind from what you previously thought it was?

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1) What is your type (6w5 or 6w7) and instinctual variant, and how positive are you that your variant is accurate?

I am a 6w5 sx/sp, with about 50% confidence.

2) How would you describe your overall focus when alone versus in social situations?

What kind of social situations? In big groups, I'm more focused on the few individuals that are closest to me, but most of the time I'm involved with the rest of the group. In a crowd, I feel awkward and alienated, and I try to find someone close to me I know (if possible). I focus on what the crowd is focused on though, rather than the crowd itself. I notice that some people -- a lot of people -- go to crowds for the purpose of being in a crowd. I honestly think my ESFJ 2w1 so/sx grandmother loves to go to church not just because her deep religious beliefs, but because she is energized and emotionally charged by the crowd there. I am completely the opposite, and I can't wait to get out of there when I go.

EDIT: When I'm by myself, I focus on whatever I'm thinking of at the time. However, I do feel like I need someone to talk to. I may be okay with being by myself but under the assumption I have access to the Internet. :D My main thing on the Internet seems to be talking with friends, and recently, talking to people on forums (not just here). Other than that, just the normal thought occupations.

It depends. In a small group, I'm very involved with each of the members. I feel like I fit in better than a bigger group. In a larger group, however, I feel more awkward and left out, but I can still focus on the group dynamic, even if I'm focusing on a couple of particular members. Also, in a group that I'm more familiar with, I'm way more comfortable and relaxed compared to a group I'm not familiar with. But I suppose that really doesn't have to do with instincts.

I'm not too sure what you mean. Interaction style? I just know I find the one-to-one dynamic more comfortable and I enjoy their presence, most of the time. I feel way more compelled (in a good way) to divulge into conversation compared to being in a group (especially in an unfamiliar one). In fact, I could converse with a complete stranger (with no one else around) and feel way more comfortable than in a group of unfamiliar people. I also sometimes feel attached to them, and sometimes I'm even inclined to hug someone who is almost a complete stranger. :blush:

What interaction style is that? Or did I not answer that? :D

The description:

Sexual/Self-pres

The sexual/self-pres Six is more concerned with strength, beauty and merging. With this stacking, the counterphobic energy is directed more toward individuals than towards ideas and concepts. It’s more about controlling the people closest to them. Paranoia arises when the Six feels abandoned by intimates. In the sexual/self-pres Six, doubt and anxiety is relieved by the knowledge that one's intimates really are trustworthy. These Sixes are always testing their mates for loyalty. The sexual Six is counterphobic in terms of needing to prove their desirability and strength.

This type is identified with their respective gender roles for security. They can be competitive and appear Eight-like. Male Sixes are likely to show strength as a form of counterphobia. Female Sixes are likely to emphasize their looks in order to be attractive. Security comes from knowing they are desirable. They can be very possessive of their mates. This can turn to extreme jealousy. On the down side, paranoia about the relationship can set in. The sexual/self-pres Six can appear Three-like, because of their need for validation and competitiveness.

On the high side, this subtype can be the most fiercely loyal to their friendships and to those loved ones who have gained their trust. The intensity of the sexual instinct brings with it a passion that is unwavering for the love and protection of their loved ones. The nature of the Six to "go towards," combined with the merging of the sexual instinct, can sometimes create an idealization of others, the ones that have passed the test of the Six. On the down side, the fear of losing the close relationship can cause this subtype to desperately lash out counterphobically.

Not terribly much. I am not possessive at all, and I don't identify with my gender role period, much less for security, nor am I "counterphobic in terms of needing to prove [my] desirability and strength". I wouldn't lash out if I was losing a hold of my relationship, either. I would become saddened and despondent.

However, I do relate to these sentences:

"With this stacking, the counterphobic energy is directed more toward individuals than towards ideas and concepts."
"Paranoia arises when the Six feels abandoned by intimates."
"In the sexual/self-pres Six, doubt and anxiety is relieved by the knowledge that one's intimates really are trustworthy." (sort of)

And I'm not sure about this sentence: "The nature of the Six to 'go towards,' combined with the merging of the sexual instinct, can sometimes create an idealization of others, the ones that have passed the test of the Six."

I'm not exactly idealistic, but I do see good in most everyone. But this supposed "idealization" doesn't have to be passed by any test, at all.

6) How did you decide on your variant? Was there anything that gave it away, or else made you change your mind from what you previously thought it was?

I realized that I was not in tune with society and societal norms and I didn't feel comfortable in group settings (not So), and I realized that what I desired most was an intense romantic/intimate relationship with a lovely significant other whom I can shower with affection, along with my value in sentimental things, interpersonal relationships and close friendships, and basic things like love and compassion (Sx).

Last edited:

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I'm pretty sure that I'm 6w5, though I have also read 6w7 descriptions I really identify with. Perhaps I have reasonably balanced wings...? I think I'm sp/sx. However, I've also scored sp/so and even so/sp, so I'm kind of confused about that. I have identified the most with sp/sx descriptions, on the whole.

Not really sure how to answer this. I think it's very important for me to find a balance with being alone and spending time with others. I am a classic INFJ in many ways and sometimes, especially after a busy day, I just can't wait to be alone and have a cup of tea, go online, read some poetry, whatever it may be. It really balances me out if I've been socializing a lot or just around people a lot. However - if I am alone too much, and especially if I have been dealing with anything painful in my life, I can get stuck in obsessive and painful thoughts that really cause me a lot of damage. So, being alone after a lot of people-time can balance me out; having people around when I've been alone a lot can also balance me out.

I like to help other people - though I'm getting warier of "lame ducks" than I used to be - and I think it's partly altruistic, partly selfish. The altruism is that I really believe that helping others is the right thing to do. The selfishness is that helping other people, and trying to work in their problems instead of my own for a while, takes me out of what can be a pretty dark place inside my head.

It very much depends on the size of the group and who is in it. If there are just one or two people who I already know and feel comfortable with, I can be very confident in a group situation. I have an instinctive understanding of how to include other people in group conversations, especially if they look a bit awkward or shy. Partly body language, opening up the circle to let them in, turning toward them briefly to include them in my comments, perhaps asking their opinion to draw them in, etc.

However - if it is a group where I don't know anyone and perhaps am not sure how much they want me there - I can feel so awkward and self-conscious myself. Worrying that I look foolish and awkward, wanting to participate but not sure how to get started, etc.

I try to be warm and friendly and draw people out. I'm quite diplomatic so I won't push if it's something they don't want to open up about. I will sometimes feel exposed if the other person asks me too many questions and will try to turn the convo back to them. If it's someone I get along well with, I love to have conversations even for hours on end. If it's someone I don't have much to talk about with or don't like that much, it can feel so awkward and strained and I desperately want to get away, though I'm also desperately trying not to show it.

"Self-pres/sexual

This type shares with the self-pres/social stacking the need to keep their environment in order. They also can appear One-like in that way. The differences revolve around the fact that they find their security more in their ability to attract a mate. They are concerned about how they are seen sexually. Their alliances to groups and authority can be quite conflicting. With the social instinct last in their stacking, this subtype can have a natural distrust of the social dynamic, especially when they fear it threatens their self-preservational concerns. The stance with regards to political or social concerns can vary wildly within this subtype. The self-pres is looking for safety and alliances with others, usually in a "going towards" fashion, but at the same time, the more assertive energy of the sexual instinct can manifest in a more counterphobic stance.

Their intimates are very important. Their issues with security are focused on their loved ones; their anxiety is closely tied to the pulse and feedback of the people closest to them. They are less outwardly fearful than the self-pres/social. While mainly phobic, their counterphobic nature shows in their sense of fun. They are drawn to intensity, and are likely to overcome fear in order to engage in adventures.(This is especially true with the Seven wing.)"

Mostly this is very accurate and it was one description which made me think I am sp/sx. The first bit, about keeping my environment in order, is less accurate. :laugh: But I relate to most of the rest of it. I worry about how I'm perceived sexually, and I worry about security a lot, but mainly in terms of people/people situations which make me feel secure or threatened. I do generally tend to have an eye for things that can go wrong, in physical terms too (ie. "this seatbelt is broken! oh no!") but that's not such a priority.

I relate EXTREMELY to the bits about looking for safety and alliances in a "going toward" fashion. It dovetails very well with the type of INFJ I am. I don't generally look outwardly fearful, so that's also accurate - my anxiety and obsessiveness come out more with those I'm close to and the subjects I tend to harp on with them. Generally I look really calm and have wondered if I'm a 9 (though I think so less and less.) It is also true that I have a strong sense of fun and love having adventures - but with an underlying current of security (whether that's having a place to stay for the next few nights while I travel; or being with someone I feel safe with; etc.)

I think a lot of the issues I experience in friendships and relationships have to do with security or the lack thereof. And also, handing over authority to others, without them even knowing about it. It's something I have to watch out for. If I am very attracted to someone I tend to focus on the fact that I feel "safe" with them (which is partly why I'm drawn to the perhaps somewhat sexist idea of a strong man who would be protective - though still leaving me my independence - and be something of an authority figure for me.) Then, when things don't work out the way I wanted, I feel so "unsafe" - suddenly exposed and alone. It also has to do with my hatred of inconsistency and my mistrust of people who say one thing and do another. So if I feel that someone has led me on or been dishonest about their feelings toward me, or cultivated my feelings mainly for purposes of their own, I can be harsh and rejecting and experience a disproportionate anger.

I read descriptions such as the above. But I am still not 100% certain. I don't identify so much with the sp-first descriptions of a 6 which talk about obsession with physical safety, constantly checking that I have enough food and supplies, etc...I can sometimes be quite the opposite. But I do view my home as a safe haven. I REALLY have identified with sp-first 6 descriptions which talk about the 6 "protecting" themselves by going toward others in a friendly fashion and thus "defusing" possible "danger." That is very, very much me.