• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 5] Fives Instinct Questionnaire

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe there aren't any type 5 So/Sp in reality.

Vizzy

Enneagram
5w4
As for myself, while I like having a nice place to live and having aesthetics/surroundings that I like and that are decent quality, I hate the idea of accumulating, I am not someone who buys 'stuff' as a general rule, I am extremely against the whole 'keeping up with the jones'' concept, I tend to value experiences (travel, activities) more than things when it comes to spending money, and I am a saver.

However, yeah, I might be stingy with sharing my stuff because I don't trust the other person (don't think it will be returned, think it will be returned in worse condition than it started, think the other person's just taking advantage and simply not wanting to pay for or put in the work/effort that I paid for/worked for..lol.. stuff like that). I tend not to be a very generous person when it comes to tangible things. :blush: Heck, now that I think about it, even helping people with, say, homework. In jr. high/high school I really resented that and didn't want to give anyone any answers. haha! I realize that says a lot about me. :yes:

I'm not at all implying this will resonate with other sp's, or even has anything to do with sp, but this is just another aspect of myself.

I relate to a lot of this. I'm not picky about having a nice place to live and I reckon I'm more low-maintenance than most.
Like you, saving money is one of my skills...but is also one thing that stresses me out - often unnecessarily. I have no financial pressure, but I'm much more stingy and anxious about my money than people my age who are living on their own with a car (and other expenses) to look after. Of course, there are times money is spent- usually on books and games. But even a dollar spent needlessly is a dollar lost...which upsets me.
People ask me what I'm saving for but I honestly don't know what. Future holidays, perhaps? It seems I'm saving for the sake of saving, almost as though I have a responsibility to not squander money.

Similar to [MENTION=1206]cascadeco[/MENTION] I prefer not to share or lend things, whether it's answers, food or belongings. There are moments of real generosity, but after I've calculated whether it's worth doing...which ends up contradicting the idea of being generous and giving. When seeing other people shout entire meals for friends or buying expensive gifts, I sometimes envy their happy-go-lucky ways with money.

There is another aspect of me that may illustrate the Sp instinct.
I'm scared of the idea of being addicted or becoming a slave to anything such as gambling or drugs. These are things I won't touch. Also, I'm protective of my own sensitivity in the sense that I avoid becoming intimate with anyone for fear of being found to be boring, unlikeable, or deemed not worth their time after all. I'm too chicken to risk being vulnerable.

For what it's worth, I must mention that I don't and won't think twice if ask to hang glide, jump off a plane, or shark dive (as long as money isn't an issue!) Perhaps it's the naivety of youth but when it comes to my physical self, it's not a factor I consider. There's always the belief that "My body is strong enough to cope!" and it's true that I'm naturally fit and enduring.

VagrantFarce

Aren't there any So/Sp fives on this forum?

[youtube=eGZg9yN4lhU]Unhealthy 5w6 So/Sp[/youtube]

The difference is between Social avarice and Self-preservational avarice.

• Social avarice results in hoarding energy for niche groups and people of valued status.
  • Self-preservational avarice results in hoarding energy for valued resources and environments.

Both are of in fear of being "depleted", but for different reasons - one is to preserve a sense of social identity, the other to preserve a sense of comfort, familiarity and security. One of these is going to be more prominent in your life.

Silveresque

[youtube=eGZg9yN4lhU]Unhealthy 5w6 So/Sp[/youtube]

The difference is between Social avarice and Self-preservational avarice.

• Social avarice results in hoarding energy for niche groups and people of valued status.
  • Self-preservational avarice results in hoarding energy for valued resources and environments.

Both are of in fear of being "depleted", but for different reasons - one is to preserve a sense of social identity, the other to preserve a sense of comfort, familiarity and security. One of these is going to be more prominent in your life.

Thanks for the video! After watching this, I don't think I'm an So first. I just can't relate to him at all and I couldn't care less about social status or being part of some exclusive group. At this point I'm pretty sure I'm Sp/So, though I find it odd that I can't really relate to other Sp/So's when it comes to being stingy with resources. I like it when people want to borrow or use my stuff because then I was able to help in some way. It makes me happy when I share resources like food with my roommate.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Thanks for the video! After watching this, I don't think I'm an So first. I just can't relate to him at all and I couldn't care less about social status or being part of some exclusive group. At this point I'm pretty sure I'm Sp/So, though I find it odd that I can't really relate to other Sp/So's when it comes to being stingy with resources. I like it when people want to borrow or use my stuff because then I was able to help in some way. It makes me happy when I share resources like food with my roommate.

There's a stigma attached to the entire notion once phrased like that.

Silveresque

There's a stigma attached to the entire notion once phrased like that.

Then how about I'm just not interested? I make no effort to be popular because I don't really care. If I were to suddenly become famous and everyone knew my name and wanted to be my friend, I guess that would be kind of cool because making friends would be so much easier. On the other hand, I think it would interfere with my privacy a lot, and I would suddenly find myself with a lot less free time, so I'm not really sure if I would enjoy it.

And about the exclusive groups, I could never see myself joining a sorority or some snobby elitist group for status. It's really not my thing. I don't need to be better than anybody else. Then again...I think it really depends on the group. I wouldn't join a group for social status, but I if a group is for something that interests me, like the Japanese Club I started in High School, I do enjoy being part of groups like that. The groups I was involved in in High School sort of became a part of my identity, if that makes any sense.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Then how about I'm just not interested? I make no effort to be popular because I don't really care. If I were to suddenly become famous and everyone knew my name and wanted to be my friend, I guess that would be kind of cool because making friends would be so much easier. On the other hand, I think it would interfere with my privacy a lot, and I would suddenly find myself with a lot less free time, so I'm not really sure if I would enjoy it.

And about the exclusive groups, I could never see myself joining a sorority or some snobby elitist group for status. It's really not my thing. I don't need to be better than anybody else. Then again...I think it really depends on the group. I wouldn't join a group for social status, but I if a group is for something that interests me, like the Japanese Club I started in High School, I do enjoy being part of groups like that. The groups I was involved in in High School sort of became a part of my identity, if that makes any sense.

Goal: stimulate the imagination and consciousness through fluid sharing of information.

VagrantFarce

Yearning for social status doesn't mean "I want to sit at the top of the pile and keep everyone else off of it", it simply means finding significance within a group. The clip I posted was titled "unhealthy" - the guy is obviously making up for self-attributed deficiencies by wanting to be right, right, right at the top. That isn't something that's exclusive to Fives, any social type can feel that way (for another example in popular media, look at Ricky Gervais' character in Extras).

What makes him a Five is that his energy is drawn in very tightly, and then focused toward gaining that status - he is hoarding his time and energy in order find significance within the group. Again, that group can be big, small, even insignificant to most other people. The point is that his focus is on groups, and his relation to them.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
1) What is your type (5w4 or 5w6) and instinctual variant, and how positive are you that your variant is accurate?
5w4 90% sure. sp/so 70% sure. [90% on the SP; less so on the SO]

2) How would you describe your overall focus when alone versus in social situations?
Do you mean how focused or what I'm focused on? I would expect more focus when alone or with a person I've acclimated to having in my personal space. But I expect that of most humans. Otherwise in social situations, can be rather scattered flitting between what's buzzing in my head and trying to pay attention to where I am and what I'm supposed to be doing. Balancing this can be a chore.

3) How would you describe your interaction style when in a group?

That depends entirely on the group and the reason I'm in the group in the first place. If it's not a group of people I've called together myself or am enthused about having together, then I'll just stay in the background and absorb all I can about the lay of the land...in terms of relationships or the topic at hand. It can be a real challenge to involve myself, or give the impression I care about being there, which people apparently care a lot about. If it's a group of friends or a group I gathered together, then I'm rather talkative, challenging and directive. But I tend to notice if someone seems left out or uncomfortable and try to bring them in.

4) How would you describe your interaction style in one-on-one situations?
Mood-dependent. Probing, direct, friendly or brief/terse/curt. I often find that I'm the one to have to wrap up conversations more often than not. I tend to want to get to the point and get on with it. It's a challenge dealing with more long-winded people without coming off rude. Or not going nuts when the long-windedness has a heavy dose of repetition.

5) How well does this description of your variant fit you?
It's pretty good.

6) How did you decide on your variant? Was there anything that gave it away, or else made you change your mind from what you previously thought it was?
Took a test and it blew the others out of the water. Took the test again - or one like it - much later. Same result. Confirmed by reading descriptions.

B

brainheart

1) What is your type (5w4 or 5w6) and instinctual variant, and how positive are you that your variant is accurate?

I'm a five/four hybrid, I don't know how else to put it. Sx/sp. I'd say around 82.3% positive.

2) How would you describe your overall focus when alone versus in social situations?

By myself I focus on my thoughts and whatever is engaging me. In social situations I focus on my thoughts and whatever is engaging me.

One on one or not at all.

If I dig the person, very engaged and enthusiastic. If I want to get away, I am pretty aloof and detached.

Pretty well, except I'm more considerate than I was when I was younger, less likely to completely vanish.

6) How did you decide on your variant? Was there anything that gave it away, or else made you change your mind from what you previously thought it was?

The general sx/sp variant on ocean moonshine describes me very well. The other sexual variant descriptions for five describe me really well, with sp coming in second.

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
By myself I focus on my thoughts and whatever is engaging me. In social situations I focus on my thoughts and whatever is engaging me.

Me likey. :D

Silveresque

Yearning for social status doesn't mean "I want to sit at the top of the pile and keep everyone else off of it", it simply means finding significance within a group. The clip I posted was titled "unhealthy" - the guy is obviously making up for self-attributed deficiencies by wanting to be right, right, right at the top. That isn't something that's exclusive to Fives, any social type can feel that way (for another example in popular media, look at Ricky Gervais' character in Extras).

What makes him a Five is that his energy is drawn in very tightly, and then focused toward gaining that status - he is hoarding his time and energy in order find significance within the group. Again, that group can be big, small, even insignificant to most other people. The point is that his focus is on groups, and his relation to them.

Okay, so So/Sp is still possible. But I can't be sure what my focus is. What specifically is the focus of an Sp five?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Definite 5w6; highly probable sp/sx

I can focus on something as intently as I prefer only when alone. When with others, whether it be a social or work setting, my attention is divided. The enjoyment of being with friends, and the productivity of working with colleagues, make these situations acceptable, but if I really want or need to focus on something, I need solitude. Having someone close to me like my SO in the same room but quietly involved in something else is acceptable also.

It depends upon the group. In a large social group, I tend to observe, then pick and choose which person or smaller group, if any, to join. If none seem appealing, I find something more worthwhile, possibly away from the group. In a large work-related gathering, I am usually trolling for information, or to make contacts. Medium social groups are the worst; too small to disappear easily, too large to have meaningful 1-on-1 interactions usually. In small groups of close friends, I am more likely to open up and discuss freely with all present.

Depends upon how well I know the other person. If it is a good friend, then we usually end up in a wide-ranging, no holds barred discussion. I've compared this to flying. It is the most enjoyable form of social enounter I experience. With casual acquaintances or strangers, the encounter is usually utilitarian, or forced/uncomfortable, at least until some common ground is established.

The sp/sx description fits me very well. This part of the sx/sp description fits me as well, though:

They have high standards for significant others. They must feel that they can share their emotions with a significant other without being judged. This is their private world that they share. Relationships can be difficult, because individuals of this subtype will still want their own space and alone time, while at other times will want intense connection. Because the social instinct is least developed, this subtype is not very concerned with how others perceive them (except their intimates). This subtype is deceptive in that they may not seem to be especially intense - until they are engaged in a conversation they find interesting.

This is why I don't claim to be 100% certain I am sp/sx. Sx/sp is possible as well (so is barely on the map).

I chose sp/sx over sx/sp after reading a variety of stacking descriptions and discussion of the two stackings over many months. As I mentioned, I am reasonably certain, but not 100% as I am with my 5w6 and INTJ identification.

kissmyasthma

MBTI Type
I???
Enneagram
huh
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

5w6 so/sp. I'm not entirely certain, but it seems like the right fit.

In social situations, my focus is on finding my place or role within a group. I listen intently in order to find that place, to add something relevant to a conversation, etc.. I think my focus in social situations is more intense than when I'm alone, unless my attempt to find a place is too difficult; then I become exhausted and discouraged, and want to be alone.

I shift between being an intense listener and observer, and being extremely talkative. My areas of knowledge/interest are usually what help me find a place in a group. Not being able to find that place makes me anxious and quiet, but once I do find it, I can be more at ease. I also observe and am very aware of group dynamics: who's "dominant," who's being left out, where I fit in (or don't), etc.

The fact that I've always thought of myself as "better" in one-one-one situations confused my thoughts about instinctual variants for a while, but now I'm positive that I'm not an sx dom. Meeting new people is often difficult for me, and meeting a large group of new people is a daunting idea. Figuring out a dynamic with one or two people at a time is much less intimidating. But when I'm in a one-on-one situation with someone that I know well, I shy away from intimacy and intensity. If I spend too much time alone with one person, I often feel very uncomfortable.

A lot of it fits very well. I often end up falling into the observer role and telling myself that I'm happy there, but what I really want is to find a more definite place. The bit about balancing "the need to withdraw and the need to connect to the larger social world" resonates with me, as does the idea of "pulling up fast and hard into self-pres mode" when feeling threatened. When I read this description to my sister, she said that it sounded a lot like me, but that I'm more "nice" and less "cold" than this description implied. When I'm at ease in a group, I do a lot of laughing and (according to my sister), I come across as "sweet" and considerate (however, I know that I'm often argumentative, as well).

I read a few descriptions of type 5 variants, and so/sp resonated the most. I also had my sister read a few, and she ended up agreeing. I've always known that I'm torn between wanting to find social groups to participate in/belong to, and needing my own space and time alone.

Silveresque

5w6 so/sp. I'm not entirely certain, but it seems like the right fit.

In social situations, my focus is on finding my place or role within a group. I listen intently in order to find that place, to add something relevant to a conversation, etc.. I think my focus in social situations is more intense than when I'm alone, unless my attempt to find a place is too difficult; then I become exhausted and discouraged, and want to be alone.

I shift between being an intense listener and observer, and being extremely talkative. My areas of knowledge/interest are usually what help me find a place in a group. Not being able to find that place makes me anxious and quiet, but once I do find it, I can be more at ease. I also observe and am very aware of group dynamics: who's "dominant," who's being left out, where I fit in (or don't), etc.

The fact that I've always thought of myself as "better" in one-one-one situations confused my thoughts about instinctual variants for a while, but now I'm positive that I'm not an sx dom. Meeting new people is often difficult for me, and meeting a large group of new people is a daunting idea. Figuring out a dynamic with one or two people at a time is much less intimidating. But when I'm in a one-on-one situation with someone that I know well, I shy away from intimacy and intensity. If I spend too much time alone with one person, I often feel very uncomfortable.

A lot of it fits very well. I often end up falling into the observer role and telling myself that I'm happy there, but what I really want is to find a more definite place. The bit about balancing "the need to withdraw and the need to connect to the larger social world" resonates with me, as does the idea of "pulling up fast and hard into self-pres mode" when feeling threatened. When I read this description to my sister, she said that it sounded a lot like me, but that I'm more "nice" and less "cold" than this description implied. When I'm at ease in a group, I do a lot of laughing and (according to my sister), I come across as "sweet" and considerate (however, I know that I'm often argumentative, as well).

I read a few descriptions of type 5 variants, and so/sp resonated the most. I also had my sister read a few, and she ended up agreeing. I've always known that I'm torn between wanting to find social groups to participate in/belong to, and needing my own space and time alone.

All your answers sound a lot like me, and I think they might describe me better than the Sp/So answers. Still, at this point I'm starting to think that you can never really know your variant for certain. You can do all the research and decide that one variant description fits you best, and you can be sure about your variant and still be wrong. There are too many variables, too many what if's, and too much is undefined. How can you really know whether something is actually a valid indicator of an instinct when that hasn't been clearly defined? For instance, an So-dom might be interested in politics, or might not. There seem to be a lot of factors that may or may not indicate preference for a particular instinct, depending on the individual, so it becomes very difficult to actually determine one's instinctual variant.

Even if you try to ignore all the little things and only look at what impacts you most and demands the most of your time, energy, and focus, at that point it becomes entirely subjective and is based on one's perception of oneself. Which instinct demands more of my focus? It depends on how I look at it and what examples I can think of at the time. I'm assuming there is one instinct that will affect you more and is stronger in you than the other two, but actually deciding which one that is can seem nearly impossible.

The best I can really do is decide that I feel like an So/Sp, and at this time I can think of more examples where So was more important to me than Sp. It's a subjective decision, and I can't be sure that I'm right, and I might end up changing my mind later, but for now I think I'll go with So/Sp.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Such scrutiny leaves me with mouth agape.

Silveresque

5w4 So/Sp, and I'm about 70% sure about the variant.

When I'm alone, I might be focused on what I happen to be doing at the time, or I might be reflecting on my day, specifically the social interactions I had. In a group, I tend to be focused on fitting in.

I don't feel comfortable in groups most of the time, so I rarely participate or speak up. About the only exception is if I feel I actually have something of value to contribute to the conversation. I can easily get discouraged if I feel like I don't belong, and when that happens I want to get away.

I usually become much more outgoing in one-on-one situations and I'm constantly trying to think of something I could add to keep the conversation going. If I can't think of anything to add, I might ask a question or change the subject. I feel awkward if I don't talk enough or if I let the other person do all the talking. Like in groups, if I feel like I can't relate to the other person at all I might feel discouraged and want to leave.

The last time I read it I didn't think it fit me that well. But when I read it now, I actually think it fits me very well. Maybe it's because I'm starting to understand myself better.

I'm finding out that I'm very concerned about having friends, and I'm starting to realize that I put more thought into social interaction that I had originally thought. Even when I'm alone, I often reflect upon the all the social interactions I had that day. Another big part of it is the description of So/Sp. I think the idea of needing to find a balance between the need to withdraw and the need to connect socially especially resonates with me. If I spend too much time alone, I can start to become really unhappy. I also think the blind spot fits me extremely well. I'm starting to realize that it's not enough to just be an observer. I need to actually be close to people and open up more, even though the observer role feels much safer.

B

brainheart

This explains a lot of why my relationship with a 5 so/sp was an epic fail. We always had great phone conversations/chemistry because he would be focused on it (he probably also felt safe with the detachment of the phone... As did I.) Alone in person, we wouldn't really talk, just other stuff (fine by me!) When he'd be with his crew plus me, he'd be paying attention to the group, while to me the group was invisible and all of my attention would be locked on him. I felt ignored by the person I had confided my deepest darkest secrets to (not to mention shared intimacy) and he felt overwhelmed, I'm sure.

Have other fives experienced relationship discord with fives of other instinctual variants?

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
5w4 90% sure. sp/so 70% sure. [90% on the SP; less so on the SO]

On third thought, sp/so is no more accurate than sp/sx, based on the descriptions. All of the sx description fits, but it lacks some features mentioned in the so description that also fit. The described features are not set up point by point sx vs so, and many are not mutually exclusive. Better descriptions?