• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 5] E5 and INFP. Rough deal?

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Isn't that a pretty crap deal, when you think about it?
I mean we feel intensely and have trouble expressing it and we malfunction regularly, and short circuit when the feelings get just a little too much? And then you realize you had no idea that you felt that way or that strongly in the first place?Usually at the most inconvenient time possible. I mean, we don't even really get the benefit of the classic INFP self reflection, even though, I do contemplate my navel a lot.
What say you?

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
But 5w4s (which I guess the vast majority of INFP 5s are) are the iconoclasts. I think of them as the butt-kicking INFPs; they have all the emotional intensity and complexity combined with greater self-confidence and courage to take the world on. :yes:

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Can definitely be incompetent, particularly if I'm unfamiliar with the environment or have too much information rushing in at once. Feeling overwhelmed or drained can interrupt thinking. Fully aware of ambiguities but try to limit leaking those into decision-making. So much intermingling upstairs that it can be difficult to function under the described circumstances.

It's strange wire to tiptoe, wanting human connections but not having the resources to follow through on the notion, though having plenty of time to discover, speculate, and theorize without our subconscious requiring approval like other infps is a fair tradeoff, cuz then you learn to track your growth, capitalize on otherwise hidden opportunities.

VagrantFarce

Isn't that a pretty crap deal, when you think about it?
I mean we feel intensely and have trouble expressing it and we malfunction regularly, and short circuit when the feelings get just a little too much? And then you realize you had no idea that you felt that way or that strongly in the first place?Usually at the most inconvenient time possible. I mean, we don't even really get the benefit of the classic INFP self reflection, even though, I do contemplate my navel a lot.
What say you?

Rubbish. All fives feel intensely and have trouble expressing it and malfunction regularly, and short circuit when the feelings get just a little too much. Staying in sync with your emotions "out in the open" is the central challenge that Fives face in life.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Rubbish. All fives feel intensely and have trouble expressing it and malfunction regularly, and short circuit when the feelings get just a little too much. Staying in sync with your emotions "out in the open" is the central challenge that Fives face in life.
I think you misinterpret my intent. It was merely an observation. Nor a statement that I think NT's are any less intense.
It was more a statement about how the classic profile of INFP is associated with greater congruency between their inner emotional life and their external expression. I was just musing, and probably expressed my self more emotionally than I intended, as I often do.
Also it was also me following a tangent thought I had in the e5 and intimacy thread. One doesn't usually associate sticky and badly formed emotional responses with NF's normally, there's a tendency to be more sophisticated in expression and it was that concept that I wanted to ponder.

Southern Cross,
You made me feel a tiny bit awesome.

Sleuthiness,
That wire is pretty strange to tiptoe. It's so much easier when people just accept it is what is. Whilst I don't "need" approval, I like acceptance.