• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 8] 8w7 and 8w9 differences

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
this is the basic gist I get of the differences. feel free to add or, refute any of my observations

- if 8w9 is The Bear, 8w7 is The Wolverine
- 8w7s tend to have higher energy and respond swiftly and with sudden intensity while 8w9s are slower moving
- 8w9s are the boundary setters of the enneagram. they tend to be generally agreeable until you cross their boundaries which they will hold firmly and be extremely stubborn, even if that person hold a lot of power and influence.
- conversely, 8w7 is the conqueror of the enneagram. they have, big, high energy and virile personalities. if 8w9s are boundary setters, 8w7s are the boundary pushers, trying to expand their relational, social and financial territory. many 8w7s I've met (8w7s who didn't know about the enneagram) have made some reference to being like a caged predator at a zoo.
- 8w7s more often seek to be dominant, 8w9s seek to more to not be submissive
- most type 8 descriptions lean 8w7, so many 8w9s are likely to mistype because they don't relate to the 8w7's more overt aggression. also, 8w9s in general seem to be less overtly 8
- conversely, introverted 8w7s (usually an ISTP or an INTJ) are likely to mistype as 8w9
- similar to their overall personality, the anger of an 8w7 is more high energy whereas the anger of an 8w9 is like an erupting volcano. 8w7s will tear you apart; 8w9s will crush you.
- 8w9s carry their energy more in their stomach whereas the energy of an 8w7 seems to be carried more in the back and sides of the torso.
- 8w7s tend to lead more active, intense and involved lifestyles. 8w9s are more low key and seem to prefer a more relaxed existence with the occasional amusement of a legitimate confrontation
- 8w9s tend to be a little more stern whereas 8w7s have a silly side :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Aleksei said:
2) As for 8w7, 8w9s and 8w9f, my reasoning is that fast 9s mostly operate in a 7-like manner -- they're bubbly, cheerful, fun-loving. The difference is that 7's motivation leads to it being recklessly experience-seeking, which can lead to confrontational and less-than-comfortable behavior (7w8s can be real assholes, particularly), whereas fast 9s shun conflict and anything that'd cause them discomfort. As such, 8w7s can be clearly defined by openly, recklessly confrontational, aggressive, generally assholish behavior less characteristic of 8w9s of either type. 8w9f's are less identifiable as 8w9, because they are not particularly conciliatory -- they just don't seek conflict the way 8w7s do, preferring to confront only when necessary to their goals.

Testimony from an 8w7 sx/sp:
TreeBob said:
I am SX/SP and for me aggression comes on suddenly. I can be happy one minute and then attacking the next. I am not a big fan of many 8 descriptions (not saying they are wrong) because of the impression it gives off to others. Many of them show us to be power hungry animals who won't stop until we get what we want or destroy whatever is in our way. We can be bulls and we can destroy things but healthy, or even average health, 8s should be able to control themselves most of the time.

I am quickest to anger when playing sports. They extra adrenaline is probably to blame, but if someone continuously breaks a rule or is dishonest, I have a tendency to go off. Another example where I might be openly aggressive is when I think someone is threatening a friend or loved one. It is of course is situational, but I usually rush to their rescue without thinking. I can give you one example where I have gone off. My boss made a comment about my database being useless once. I had spent a lot of time making it and I knew it was useful. His shortsighted and obtuse statement threw me into an instant rage which followed by the two of us throwing F bombs in the middle of the office.

As quick as my anger comes it also leaves just as fast. Over the last 5 years I have worked hard on my anger and while I don't have complete control over it I will generally warn people if they are pushing my buttons the wrong way.

So that is open aggression :)

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I deal with things in a rather passive aggressive manner; I let it sit for a bit and then BAM! Destruction.

The reason why I let it sit is because it's just a minor annoyance as to how I perceive it. It does not warrant a reaction from me (well, in a way it does, all that passive aggressive stuff).

I only get openly aggressive when it all accumulates to something really big to really blow my fuse off; when it does it's really explosive but lasts only for a short amount of time.

Hopelandic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
me
^ who isn't sometimes like that though? I do explode, and I am not an 8. Far from it.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I deal with things in a rather passive aggressive manner; I let it sit for a bit and then BAM! Destruction.

The reason why I let it sit is because it's just a minor annoyance as to how I perceive it. It does not warrant a reaction from me (well, in a way it does, all that passive aggressive stuff).

I only get openly aggressive when it all accumulates to something really big to really blow my fuse off; when it does it's really explosive but lasts only for a short amount of time.

that's less typical of 8s. most 8s will tell you immediately if they have a problem. it's less anger than "that bothered me, don't do that". if you are an 8, this is probably a tendency you picked up from being abused or due to high amounts of stress. 8w9s under stress are unpredictable because they simultaneously become more passive AND more aggressive. 1 minute they bury their feelings or are unaware of them, the next they explode. I think what causes it is that 8 and 9 just don't balance well under stress. 9 wants to be harmonious and forgive/let slight all the while 8 is accumulating anger and hostility like a rocket about to take off. when I was younger, I used to get picked on a lot and I remember it making me FURIOUS but at the same time I just didn't know how to handle it and was confused, frustrated and ready to burst at any moment. nowadays, I tell people every time something bothers me. usually, with the powerful presence that comes with being an 8w9, this is enough. it's not that I'm angry at them, but when I see a problem, I have to either fix it, tell whoever's job it is to fix it or communicate in some way to come up with a beneficial solution.
personally when I really explode is if someone tries to control me.

VagrantFarce

^ who isn't sometimes like that though? I do explode, and I am not an 8. Far from it.

I can count on one hand the amount of times I've "exploded" (In front of other people, that is), I imagine it's a common occurrence for Eights.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can count on one hand the amount of times I've "exploded" (In front of other people, that is), I imagine it's a common occurrence for Eights.

I used to have explosive episodes all the time as a child, but it doesn't happen so often these days. ever since about 8th grade I've tried very hard to gain self control and realize the reasons why I was angry. being a good communicator and not taking things personally is a big plus as an 8 :yes:

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
when I was younger, I used to get picked on a lot and I remember it making me FURIOUS [...]

Is that an 8 thing? To get angry when you are being criticized or made fun of? Because I don't get angry at all. I tend to sometimes believe it and my feelings get hurt really bad. I'm not sure what that means though...

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is that an 8 thing? To get angry when you are being criticized or made fun of? Because I don't get angry at all. I tend to sometimes believe it and my feelings get hurt really bad. I'm not sure what that means though...

maybe it is, I can't imagine taking criticism the way you've described. it's not so much what they say as much as the disrespect and invasiveness. that being said, if there insult is intelligent at all, I will consider it logically afterword, but usually they're just full of it.

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
maybe it is, I can't imagine taking criticism the way you've described. it's not so much what they say as much as the disrespect and invasiveness. that being said, if there insult is intelligent at all, I will consider it logically afterword, but usually they're just full of it.

Maybe I don't always believe it, but I always become VERY despondent. It's so emotionally saddening and upsetting and discouraging. I don't how you could possibly be angry... What does my type of response indicate type-relatedly?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe I don't always believe it, but I always become VERY despondent. It's so emotionally saddening and upsetting and discouraging. I don't how you could possibly be angry... What does my type of response indicate type-relatedly?

I get angry when they're trying to use derogatory attacks to subordinate me, indirectly force me to do something, guilt trip me or in some way trying to control me. even then though, I tend to deal with it in a very rational authoritative manner and after spending my high school career fending off haters, people have given up on it for the most part

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I get angry when they're trying to use derogatory attacks to subordinate me, indirectly force me to do something, guilt trip me or in some way trying to control me. even then though, I tend to deal with it in a very rational authoritative manner and after spending my high school career fending off haters, people have given up on it for the most part

Is my type of response anything type-related?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

not directly, but it sounds F something in MBTI and possibly 6 or 2 in enneagram

VagrantFarce

I wouldn't wrap a lack of self-confidence in type if I were you - it won't address or fix it, and could even lead to you excusing yourself for it. A bad road to travel, believe me - regardless of how true or accurate it may seem to you right now.

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wouldn't wrap a lack of self-confidence in type if I were you - it won't address or fix it, and could even lead to you excusing yourself for it. A bad road to travel, believe me - regardless of how true or accurate it may seem to you right now.

I'm not, I'm simply interested in trying to understand if that is evidence for certain type. :yes:

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I'm 8w9 as hell according to this.

No you aren't. You are 7w8.

It sounds like an Fi thing in your case.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No you aren't. You are 7w8.
It sounds like an Fi thing in your case.

that was an old post XD
and I have balanced wings
Edit: why do you see 7w8 over 7w6?