• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 5] Enneagram 5s

G

Glycerine

For curiosity's sake and to understand other 5s.

How do you approach problems?

How does point of stress (7) manifest for you?

How does point of growth (8) manifest for you?

What drains your energy the most?

What do you find the most relaxing?

How are you in social situations?

VagrantFarce

My instinct is definitely to deal with it on my own - I often have to remind myself that it's OK to ask other people for help (in the past, I've even preferred to "put up" with the problem then ask for help - not any of my proudest moments).

I think this just results in over-thinking - distracting myself from dealing with something directly by just thinking more, and more, and more, and going around and around in circles not making any actual, genuine progress. When it comes to finally making a move, you just end up anxious and evasive.

I'm here, I'm present, I'm emotionally expressive, and I'm acting on my instincts - instead of thinking, I'm acting, I'm moving.

People who are trying to distract me from what I'm doing, when I have no interest in being distracted. Fuck. The. Hell. Off.

Thinking! Reading, listening, watching, peace and quiet. I'm sitting still and out of sight, in my own private space.

Quiet, but receptive. :) If I'm not in a good mood, I likely won't even be there - for your sake and mine.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

As an intellectual challenge. I like solving problems on my own but I am prone to frustration when I have trouble coming up with a good solution.

Scatteredness, indecision, overwhelmed by options- so many choices yet not finding one that really satisfies me

Confidence, willingness to take charge, standing up for justice

Other people, lack of intellectual stimulation

Being alone with my own thoughts and free from expectations of others

It varies. If I'm comfortable and the situation is a familar one and I'm comfortable with the people, I can do quite well and enjoy it. If its unfamilar situation with unfamilar people, discussing things I know nothing about and have no interest in, I am awkward and uncomfortable.

G

Glycerine

Thank you. I was just really curious after watching some videos on enneagram 5s and wanted some input on how several different fives react. :)

B

brainheart

If I'm not a five I have a crazy strong wing so I'll go ahead and answer-

I analyze like crazy then I research then I reach conclusions then I find flaws in my conclusions then I research some more. If it's a problem with a person I tend to propose my theory as to why this problem exists (if I consider our relationship worth fixing) and they look at me like I'm crazy. Then I withdraw and swear I won't offer my insights again.

Reading fifty enneagram books and getting nowhere. Making impulsive, irrational decisions.

Speaking my mind without caring about the consequences. Making phone calls I need to make. Connecting with my body- hikes, surfing, taking trips, having fun for the sake of fun.

Being at an extended family social gathering and having to listen to stupid conversations about the same ol, and not being able to read something or wander off while everyone blabs. Acting as a chaperone on my kids' school field trips, just all the kids constantly making noise and other parents I'm not fond of wanting to talk, the dumb rules, etc. Shopping. Bad music.

Going on a hike by myself and taking close up photos of things I find beautiful- insects, spider webs, moss on rocks. Playing guitar and singing. Reading. Sometimes intimacy. Listening to good music.

Depends. If I'm relaxed and happy and it's with a person/a couple of people I like I enjoy it. If it's a concert of a band I like I love it, but then I'm not really talking, I'm enjoying the music. As I mentioned above, the other kind of social situations are awful, to be avoided, although alcohol can help.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Glycerine is not an enneagram 5.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ISTP 8w7 sp/sx :D

I'm just being a dick. ;)

Anyway, 5s are the true investigators of this amazing world, discovering and uncovering the grand hidden treasures of the globe. :happy2:

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

By asking what will work, getting an answer, and then taking the steps to get there. If I don't have enough information, I will spend time doing research until the answer comes to me.

By making impulsive, irrational, emotionally-fueled decisions (it never, ever goes well). Indulging in hedonistic pleasures. Flitting from one thing to another because I have lost focus.

Speaking up instead of blowing up. Being protective instead of confrontational. Resisting the desire to isolate myself from others. Becoming more physically grounded...these last two are extremely tough for me.

Prolonged, intense emotional contact with others.

Solitude, my headphones, a glass of red wine, and a book. Swimming, taking a drive...being by the ocean.

I can fend but not for long. I think I also come across as a little aggressive and outspoken, so maybe not so good. *shrug*

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4

It completely depends upon the problem. Each one is a unique animal in and of itself. But I could also, say, that my instinct is to deal with it on my own. I look at it from multiple angles and seek out win/win solutions.

Depending on the problem, I may just withdraw from humanity for a few days.

Or, I become militantly stubborn, kick into a do or die kind of mode, get really tenacious and eerily quiet, except for the promise to act, which I will carry/do out.

Through a deepening of my spiritual life, through relying on my wisdom mind as opposed to my emotional mind, and not being led around by popular opinion, propaganda or my own desires. By doing what's "just" above what's cool or popular, by insisting that I see through the eyes of eternity and seeing the "big picture". Balance-By constantly seeking the right way and walking [conduction my life according to its principles] in it.

Distractions from a project. Too much talking. Loud voices. Loud music. Being pulled at by too many people for too long of a time. Being with complaining, argumentive and petty people. Definitely shopping. Small talk. Small talk may be number 1.

Just having alone time. Being "free" and allowed to just "be".

It depends on the situation and the others present at the social event. I'm good at speaking at gatherings. I'm good at instructing. But I'm awkward with the lunch table crowd and often feel like the odd one out. I'm the only Ni in the building though so that might have something to do with it. I'm awkward with just making day to day small talk. I think I come across as a little too intense for some people. I get bored with too much mundane talk and pretty soon I'm trying to find a corner to hide in or a project to engage my mind.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=10880]Vagrant[/MENTION]France responded in such an apt way... But I'll fill out my own.

Based on my own personal logical framework. It is paramount it is mine and alone. Relying on others for thinking makes me feel like I'm dependable on them and thus, incompetent.
Over-thinking, resulting in analysis paralysis. Very stressed out, can result in chest pain. Have a hard time relaxing, feels like my mind is far removed from my body. I can have weird compulsive ideas and thoughts such as eating things that aren't edible, jumping through a window, moving out and so on. Generally expressed as a constant feeling of needing to get away/be on the move/do something. Also experience myself as emotionally detached and removed, more so than I do normally. Most of all it feels like an out of body experience of sorts. I'm here but not here at all. I'm removed from the world itself and I'm behind a glass wall looking inside but I can't enter.

Can result in spending time on leisure pleasures as it helps to relax my mind and if very unhealthy, apathetic towards the world and taking personal responsibility.

Exactly how was expressed before. A feeling of doing instead of thinking. Do more, think less. There's action, something happens, I'm moving forward instead of standing still and endlessly planning and observing.

Social obligations, expectations. I second people who disturb my peace when I want to be alone and I lose my focus of what I'm doing.

Do things I enjoy doing. Thinking, researching, analyzing.
Awkward. Usually silent and I spend more time observing others than I interact. I tend to meta-analyze social situations as well, meaning that I study not only those around me but also myself and the meaning of social action.

Ringring01

MBTI Type
INFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
How do you approach problems? I normally try to hide away at first, and not be the one whose the problem. But if a friend or myself is emotionally or physically hurt by whatever the problem may be, then I will turn into a... err... bitch.....

How does point of stress manifest for you? I get stressed out whenever I feel like I am not in control over my life, like when I feel someone else is running it for me, or when I feel as though it's being wasted. Or whenever I suspect someone's lying..

How does point of growth manifest for you? Hasn't..

What drains your energy the most? Feeling like I'm not living life the way that I want to, and like I'm living it like someone else wants me to.