• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 4] Counterdepressive 4's?

Catharsis

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
A while back, can not remember where, I read something about depressive/counterdepressive type 4's, much like the phobic/counterphobic states of type six. However, what was written was only mentioned quickly and did not give an elaborate explanation, so I'm asking here: How does the depressive and the counterdepressive 4's act? Are 4w5's more likely to be mostly depressive and 4w3's more counterdepressive?

Thunderbringer

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Was it this excerpt?

Four: Self-sufficiency
The passion of Fours is envy. The counterpassion is a caricature of the virtue of contentment. At that time, Fours want to appear self-sufficient. They claim to be satisfied with who they are and what they have. What others have that they lack is hence useless, devoid of interest and they are happy to do without. In French literature, there is a famous fable, by Jean de La Fontaine, that describes the counterpassion of the Four and reveals a transparent haughtiness and the persistence of envy.

The Fox and the Grapes
(Book III, fable 11)
Translated by Norman B. Spector

A certain Gascon Fox, a Norman one others say,
Famished, saw on a trellis, up high to his chagrin,
Grapes, clearly ripe that day,
And all covered with purple skin.
The rogue would have had a meal for the gods,
But, having tried to reach them in vain,
"They're too green," he said, "and just suitable for clods."

Didn't he do better than to complain?

Basically, depressive Fours get depressed because they are envious of the traits others have that they don't and feel flawed because of it. Counterdepressive Fours go against their envious feelings and flaunt their "flaws", rejecting modern society and standing their ground as an individualist. However, this behavior is just a ruse to hide their true feelings of loneliness, as many people are able to see. From what I've read, Marilyn Manson is a counterdepressive Four, but I wouldn't know since I'm not into his music. Another example would be schoolchildren who have a crush on someone, yet act mean to them because they can't express themselves (Helga Pataki's behavior from Hey Arnold comes to mind).

Catharsis

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
It was something about depressive fours being more withdrawn and moody, while counterdepressive fours acted hyperactive to fight those feelings, almost like a seven. What you said also makes sense.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I hadn't come across the depressive and counter-depressive.. but that makes ALOT of sense. I type as both a 7 and 4 depending on the test. I identify with both descriptions, both's defense mechanisms, but I think that I might be a counter-depressive 4! I read that often times when you are confused with enneatype, the one that disturbs you the most will end up being your type, but you may want to reject it because the weakness and defences hits too close to home. This is certainly true for me being a 4. What got me into thinking I was a 7 is that I really do despise sitting in any kind of pain, be it emotional, physical, mental.. and ofcourse that sounds cliche, as in who would like being in pain? lol but it is especially true that I will go to great lengths (distracting myself) to avoid it. I also know that envy is a great motivator for me, but at times I have been known to entirely reject what ever I have been envying or view myself lacking as a form of relief.

When I have tested as 4, it is always with a very heavy 3 wing, and I agree that it makes sense for 4w3 to be more counter depressive and 4w5 depressive.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
this guy is a counter-depressive 4w3 sx/so

Catharsis

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Depressive 4w5 here, sup guys?
Tell me how you generally act. Do you usually submit to the pain and withdraw, experiencing feelings of low self-worth? Do you also have periods when you are more counterdepressive and if so, what is it that you are fighting, what is your source of shame, and how do you tackle it?

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i think i can see periods in my life where i've been counterdepressive, but now i'm depressive.

Catharsis

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
i think i can see periods in my life where i've been counterdepressive, but now i'm depressive.
How did you act when being counterdepressive and how do you act now? Are there any external reasons for you being depressive or do you fluctuate naturally?

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How did you act when being counterdepressive and how do you act now? Are there any external reasons for you being depressive or do you fluctuate naturally?

i was more social, tried to distract myself from my problems more, more hedonistic, had more energy. i think i spend a lot more time in my head now, i want to be alone more, i don't reach out to people as much. just withdrawn i guess. i don't know, it could be other factors too. i think a lot of the lack of energy comes from smoking too much weed, when i take a break from it i'm all jumpy and high-strung.

Catharsis

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
i was more social, tried to distract myself from my problems more, more hedonistic, had more energy. i think i spend a lot more time in my head now, i want to be alone more, i don't reach out to people as much. just withdrawn i guess. i don't know, it could be other factors too. i think a lot of the lack of energy comes from smoking too much weed, when i take a break from it i'm all jumpy and high-strung.
Yes, I can relate a bit. I'm withdrawn and melancholic by default, with outbursts of energy and hyperactivity every now and then. I think a lot of it has to do with my shame and envy. When I feel envious of something I find ideal and think that I can never achieve the object of my desire, I can easily surrender to pain and go into isolation. However, trying to counteract the shame has proven to launch me into a more counterdepressive stance, when I notice that I'm actually moving towards my goal and instead of being only depressed I can become optimistic and driven. It's just that I have to watch carefully since I easily fall into the trap of extreme sadness and impaired action.

Jessica

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Tell me how you generally act. Do you usually submit to the pain and withdraw, experiencing feelings of low self-worth? Do you also have periods when you are more counterdepressive and if so, what is it that you are fighting, what is your source of shame, and how do you tackle it?

I have no self-worth. Everyone's better than me at everything, I can't do anything right, and see no point in trying.

These feelings are called a 'high point' for me.

Counterdepressive: I tried to make things better, it didn't work, I'm more of a fuck up than ever, but I'll be damned if I'm going to look like I care.

Catharsis

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
I have no self-worth. Everyone's better than me at everything, I can't do anything right, and see no point in trying.

These feelings are called a 'high point' for me.

Counterdepressive: I tried to make things better, it didn't work, I'm more of a fuck up than ever, but I'll be damned if I'm going to look like I care.
Is it shame and envy that is a big hindrance for you, or is it that you perceive yourself as lacking competency?

Jessica

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Is it shame and envy that is a big hindrance for you, or is it that you perceive yourself as lacking competency?
Envy. Vast amounts of envy. For literally everyone who isn't me. It stands to reason that everyone in the world is better than me.

Fuck competence and I have no shame.

Catharsis

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Envy. Vast amounts of envy. For literally everyone who isn't me. It stands to reason that everyone in the world is better than me.

Fuck competence and I have no shame.
So all of these feelings stem from comparison with others who do better? At what, if you don't mind me asking?

Jessica

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
So all of these feelings stem from comparison with others who do better? At what, if you don't mind me asking?

It can be extrapolated to the small things or the big things, but it applies to nearly everyone.

At first it was people in relationships being better than me because they're worth something to someone. Now I've been worth something to a couple people, so that doesn't apply so much, and being with someone now makes that one a backburner thought. I do apply it to my exes whenever they appear in my mind, for whatever reason: they were just too good for me and they found someone better than me, just like my current is and will someday do, most likely.

As I'm arguably somewhere between pathetic and sub-pathetic at math, I often felt shitty about this one. I can't do math beyond a 10th grade level, and would probably struggle with that. One of the reasons I'm never going back to college is because there is no way in a blue hell I can pass even remedial math courses, and therefore the entire prospect of college is made worthless. All because, despite my other intelligences, I can't get past remedial math. Mind you, math is the one thing I put vast effort into (sometimes 12+ hours a day on the same type of problems)...

There's also the lurking fear that I am merely of average intelligence in general and away from math. I know a lot of people would disagree, and I want to disagree, but what if? Just the thought that I could be average makes me want to immediately cease all learning, destroy all present knowledge and retreat to a small compound in the middle of the forest where I can smoke weed every day, listen to music, play music, and sleep. No books, television, or internet allowed. No phone or cellphones. I'd rather give up everything than even entertain the idea of being average.

Things like that. Always taken to extremes.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Make sure not to confuse this with a 9. 9s are more likely to mistype as 4 than vice versa, especially when they see themselves as artists or having turbulent emotions. The thing is, they'll try to distract themselves from their emotions & regain internal peace.

4s amplify emotion, even if they try & turn it into some badge of courage or champion others/causes representing similar feelings. And yes, I find my mindset in that frame from time to time; it may be counter-depressive but it's a little less counter-productive :cheese: .

At that time, Fours want to appear self-sufficient. They claim to be satisfied with who they are and what they have. What others have that they lack is hence useless, devoid of interest and they are happy to do without.

Basically, depressive Fours get depressed because they are envious of the traits others have that they don't and feel flawed because of it. Counterdepressive Fours go against their envious feelings and flaunt their "flaws", rejecting modern society and standing their ground as an individualist. However, this behavior is just a ruse to hide their true feelings of loneliness, as many people are able to see. From what I've read, Marilyn Manson is a counterdepressive Four, but I wouldn't know since I'm not into his music. Another example would be schoolchildren who have a crush on someone, yet act mean to them because they can't express themselves (Helga Pataki's behavior from Hey Arnold comes to mind).

I've bolded the most important points, IMO. 4s are extremely self-aware, especially of how phony their own image is, and so even when counter-depressive they are aware of their flaws, the act they're putting on, the negative emotions that still linger. Instead of withdrawing they just turn them into a motivating force. This goes in waves, from my observations, because it's not really "growth", but a simultaneous outward act of denial & inner self-awareness which is not stable in the long-run. The 4s need for authenticity will make them ashamed of this act eventually, and they'll probably withdraw again.

Catharsis

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Make sure not to confuse this with a 9. 9s are more likely to mistype as 4 than vice versa, especially when they see themselves as artists or having turbulent emotions. The thing is, they'll try to distract themselves from their emotions & regain internal peace.

4s amplify emotion, even if they try & turn it into some badge of courage or champion others/causes representing similar feelings. And yes, I find my mindset in that frame from time to time; it may be counter-depressive but it's a little less counter-productive :cheese: .

I've bolded the most important points, IMO. 4s are extremely self-aware, especially of how phony their own image is, and so even when counter-depressive they are aware of their flaws, the act they're putting on, the negative emotions that still linger. Instead of withdrawing they just turn them into a motivating force. This goes in waves, from my observations, because it's not really "growth", but a simultaneous outward act of denial & inner self-awareness which is not stable in the long-run. The 4s need for authenticity will make them ashamed of this act eventually, and they'll probably withdraw again.
For me counterdepression can also be about eradicating my sources of shame, or the part of me which is "unattractive". A motivation to become less self-conscious in order to function properly without retreating from the outside world.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The thread title is a new name for an old theory that probably had no name.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've only recently been conscious of feeling envy. I'm envious of people who don't have to work and have plenty of money. There are people I've known online for years and enjoyed them on groups that were focused on a subject, but seeing them on facebook with their multiple expensive purchases and the pictures of their many vacations in exotic locations, I start to hate my life with a ferocious intensity and be really pissed off at them and the world, to the point I've had to stop their feed. I can't stand to look at it. Absent this stuff to compare myself to, I'm pretty content and I feel grateful for what I have and realize there are people who would think I was really fortunate in comparison. I guess it's true to say it's a feeling of inadequacy but mostly I feel like I'm as worthy as anyone else, intrinsically, but other people have advantages that I don't, without having had to work for them. Then when I realize this is self-pity, I hate myself for being self-pitying. Then my common sense kicks in and says yeah but you really do need some time off...and to keep myself going, I get this brittle veneer and act like nothing fazes me and I don't care what anybody thinks or has or does.