• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 4] Counterdepressive 4's?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A little more elaborate and concrete, if you will.

About your avatar, it seems a little fake, but it could be real. Who wants an arrow through the armpit and stomach? I don't.

Catharsis

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
About your avatar, it seems a little fake, but it could be real. Who wants an arrow through the armpit and stomach? I don't.
I'm talking about that "old theory" you mentioned.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm talking about that "old theory" you mentioned.

Oh. I don't know why I even called it a theory. Giving it a name like "counterdepressive" makes it seem like a theory. But it's really just an observation about type fours, some of whom are more kick-ass than other fours in their behavior, but "really aren't." Information on this type goes back to my reading in the early 1990s, which included, Riso, Palmer, Hurley & Donson [Dobson], and various authors in the Enneagram Monthly (one of whom was yours truly).

Catharsis

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Oh. I don't know why I even called it a theory. Giving it a name like "counterdepressive" makes it seem like a theory. But it's really just an observation about type fours, some of whom are more kick-ass than other fours in their behavior, but "really aren't." Information on this type goes back to my reading in the early 1990s, which included, Riso, Palmer, Hurley & Donson [Dobson], and various authors in the Enneagram Monthly (one of whom was yours truly).
What you're saying is, behaviour like this isn't at all like the phobic/counterphobic modes of type six?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What you're saying is, behaviour like this isn't at all like the phobic/counterphobic modes of type six?

Behaviors may be similar, but motives differ. That's why I always ask about motives.

Catharsis

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Behaviors may be similar, but motives differ. That's why I always ask about motives.
The motive, I assume, would be to fight the pain that makes fours withdraw and entertain fantasies instead of engaging the real world. Like a counterphobic six overcoming fear by facing it directly, a four would confront the source of their shame and their envy instead of succumbing to it.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I hadn't come across the depressive and counter-depressive.. but that makes ALOT of sense. I type as both a 7 and 4 depending on the test. I identify with both descriptions, both's defense mechanisms, but I think that I might be a counter-depressive 4! I read that often times when you are confused with enneatype, the one that disturbs you the most will end up being your type, but you may want to reject it because the weakness and defences hits too close to home. This is certainly true for me being a 4. What got me into thinking I was a 7 is that I really do despise sitting in any kind of pain, be it emotional, physical, mental.. and ofcourse that sounds cliche, as in who would like being in pain? lol but it is especially true that I will go to great lengths (distracting myself) to avoid it. I also know that envy is a great motivator for me, but at times I have been known to entirely reject what ever I have been envying or view myself lacking as a form of relief.

When I have tested as 4, it is always with a very heavy 3 wing, and I agree that it makes sense for 4w3 to be more counter depressive and 4w5 depressive.

Huh.... I relate to this a lot as well... though have always considered the second in tri type to be 4w5. Seems like the assessment is still accurate, (I can't imagine myself to be something other than 7w6 and 4w5), but I suppose 4w3 with a bent to try to be a 7 would fit, too. I test as a three often. (Probably more than I test 7), though when I read the descriptions, it just doesn't make sense at all. Threes are the type of people that I would like to be and strive to be.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
holy shit. first time i've ever actually liked opera. that guy's awesome.

if you gave opera a chance, you seem like the kind of person who would like it. if you're interested, I could hook you up with a few of my favorite recordings :D