• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 5] Fives Distrustful or critical

simbad

Enneagram
4w3
I accussed a FIVE that I am starting to get to know that he is distrustful. He replied that he is not but is critical. What do other FIVES think about this - are you more distrustful by nature or critical?

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
I accussed a FIVE that I am starting to get to know that he is distrustful. He replied that he is not but is critical. What do other FIVES think about this - are you more distrustful by nature or critical?

Why would one be trustful of someone who isn't self critical?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Define "critical..." sounds like you're talking about 'critical of others' and 'skeptical'.
(Skeptical might be a better term over all, since it blends together distrustful and critical but in a reasonable way.)

As far as responding directly to the question, I've seen Fives who range from being just skeptical as part of testing things to make they sure they are trustworthy to Fives who gain a sense of power just from using their brains to shoot down any possible flaw in anything, no matter how likely, so as to not trust anything and make themselves look smart.

PursuitOfHappiness

Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would think that 5w6 would have more trust issues than 5w4. On the flip side, a 5w4 may come across as more critical, perhaps a function of an overt or even subconscious attempt to bring others down a notch, perhaps out of jealousy...this may assume the 5w4 is experiencing some degree of stress and/or lack if health.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd say I'm more critical, although I think I've grown more distrustful than I was in my childhood and adolescence.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
I see criticality as necessary for survival, and I see my mind as sovereign; I trust only when absolutely necessary, and even then with apprehension. So I would consider myself both critical and distrustful, the latter a result of the former.

W

WhoCares

I am very distrustful and highly critical. I tend not to look for the good in people but rather stand back and wait for the less salburious side of their personality to emerge. I am rarely disappointed on that account. For me, this side to me has come through hard won experience and also sadly, through being really naive when I was younger. I now know there is a down side to everyone and it's much better to find out what that is before jumping in and allowing that person into your life.

The downside to this strategy is that few people ever make it into my life. The upside is that people rarely take much care in covering up their vices. Usually they are quite vocal about it, wearing it like a badge of honour. Other people take this as self-deprecation or modesty. I take it for what it is, a clear and honest appraisal of what I can expect from that person. :(

Rambling

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think I have difficulty trusting others. It's easier to rely on myself.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm more critical than distrustful.