• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 6] Phobic 6s

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Again, I wouldn't want to say this is entirely type-related, but I'm thinking 6s may often be the type who come across as very independent and even tough, but very much want to find people or institutions who can protect them and make them feel safe, as well...that's what I'm like.

I'm thinking being 6 may have something to do with my well-documented fascination with hero figures... ;)

Hopelandic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
me
I don't think sixes are split so much into phobic/counterphobic... when in fear you never really know how a six might act.

Personally, I avoid a lot of shit, and don't feel the need to conquer things I fear. It's not about conquering fear, but about choosing love over fear. Thinking, "hmmm, i'm going to confront this person not because i'm scared of them, but because I owe it to myself... i'm going to swim with sharks not so I no longer feel afraid, but because I want to experience life... i'm not going to go after someone before they get me, but I will prepare myself and be well equipped to stand up for myself".

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Note: I am totally counterphobic until you get me on the freeway in a small car near a semi mac truck, then watch me become instantly crazily phobic. And I do mean crazily phobic.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think I'm both "phobic" and "counterphobic". Depending on the fear, I might get different reactions.

I do a ton of things for security, but it's always temporary.

Nothing's enough.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think I'm mainly counterpobic in the sense that I'm obssesed about taking risk as a point wich is insane. I hardly reach consensus, and I perpertually feel the need to "go-against" to conquer what afraid me, until nothing afraid me at all. Of course, I'm often a coward, but coward and phobic are not really the same thing, I think. Probably, the biggest insult that someone can say to me is that I'am a wimp or a sissy. While the biggest compliment is more something like "you're the man" or "you have balls".

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I'm gonna have to read this more in depth later.

I'm a 7w6 and yes ENFP. :alttongue:

I never really liked being a 6 but had to grudgingly accept it.

I would much rather be an 8 wing.

I will say one thing about a 6 is even the nicest, push-over-est looking 6 when backed into a corner can do surprisingly well defending themselves. I think because 'defense' is what a 6 is about, even attacks are just pre-emptive defensive moves. And we're always ready (or at least neurotically pre-occupied) about being attacked and therefore prepared on some cellular level for it.

6 is an odd wing to go with 7 because it gives the otherwise joie-de-vivre 7 this frenetic open/shut quality and more evasiveness/caution. It's not a smooth, consistent outflow of energy or focus at all. Also, it exacerbates greatly the 7 need to escape and avoid pain. I had to laugh out loud at a few of the self-descriptions in this thread because I can visualize so easily what the person means.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Six with a Five Wing: The Defender

Healthy: People of this subtype often excel at various kinds of technical expertise, making them outstanding practical problem-solvers, analysts, social commentators, teachers, and opinion leaders. They are attracted to systems of knowledge where the rules and parameters are well-established, such as mathematics, law, and the sciences. They often have greater powers of concentration than the other subtype, although they can be narrower in their concerns. Political causes and community service are areas of interest, and they often serve as spokespeople or champions for disadvantaged groups or individuals.

Average: They are more independent and serious than the other subtype, and less likely to go to others for reassurance or advice. They are often loners. They get reassurance from systems and beliefs, while remaining skeptical. People of this subtype tend to see the world as dangerous, leading to partisan stances and reactionary positions. Secretiveness can fuel suspicion, and they usually see themselves as rebellious and antiauthoritarian, while ironically being drawn to systems, alliances, and beliefs that contain strong authoritarian elements. Sixes with a five wing are reactive and aggressive, typically tending to blame or scapegoat perceived threats to their security.

---------------------------------

The Six with a Seven Wing: The Buddy

Healthy: Engaging and funny, people of the subtype are less serious than the other subtype--they tend to avoid "heavy" topics and restrict their focus to their security needs (taxes, bills, office politics, and the like). They are serious, however, about commitments and make sacrifices to ensure the safety and well-being of their family and friends. They also enjoy good company, kidding around, and emphasizing their connections with others. People of this subtype combine interpersonal qualities with energy, humor, and a zest for experience. They can also be self-deprecating, turning their fears into occasions for joking and bonding with others.

Average: These people are eager to be liked and accepted, but they are also more hesitant to speak out about themselves or their problems. While sociable, they are also visibly insecure and depend on loved ones for reassurance and advice before coming to important decisions They have problems with procrastination and initiating projects on their own. They tend to get into diversions and distractions to quiet that anxiety, including sports, shopping, and "hanging out" with others. Overeating, drinking, and substance abuse are possible. They are not particularly political but can be opinionated and vocal about their likes and dislikes. Anxiety about personal failings or important relationships can lead to depression.

------------------------

I :heart: these descriptions. I see some of the seven wing in me too.

------------------------

I never really liked being a 6 but had to grudgingly accept it.

I would much rather be an 8 wing.

I will say one thing about a 6 is even the nicest, push-over-est looking 6 when backed into a corner can do surprisingly well defending themselves. I think because 'defense' is what a 6 is about, even attacks are just pre-emptive defensive moves. And we're always ready (or at least neurotically pre-occupied) about being attacked and therefore prepared on some cellular level for it.

6 is an odd wing to go with 7 because it gives the otherwise joie-de-vivre 7 this frenetic open/shut quality and more evasiveness/caution. It's not a smooth, consistent outflow of energy or focus at all. Also, it exacerbates greatly the 7 need to escape and avoid pain. I had to laugh out loud at a few of the self-descriptions in this thread because I can visualize so easily what the person means.

My dad was 7w6, and we had a lot in common. I could sense what you describe, in him. He had a nervous energy about him.... he was also "quick on the draw", as if he had been waiting for the opportunity. I think six can offer a seven a level of sharpness that the eight wing doesn't give, on a positive note.

I can empathize with your feelings associated with grudgingly accepting six. I've envied other's "go with the flow" tendencies, and have even smoked a lot of pot at points in my life to "chill out" and become more that way. I feel like life would be easier sometimes as another type, but alas.....

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I see both the 5 wing and the 7 wing in me - actually, I've read some 6w7 descriptions that fit me better, but I think 6w5 fits better overall.

B

brainheart

Yay! :laugh:

I knew there were a few others out there. I agree that "situational" has a lot to do with it. I think Speed Gavroche, who identifies as counter-phobic 6, said something on another thread about how you might be a 6 if in a situation where everyone else is calm and laid back you're freaking out, and where everyone else is nervous and scared you're calm, confident, courageous and collected. I TOTALLY identified with that.

Do you have an idea what your instinctual stacking is? Any comments about your phobic or counter-phobic moments? I'm all ears ;)

I know this is old but this is great. Last night was a perfect example of this for me. My daughter (a textbook phobic 6w7) and I were in line for a roller coaster last night. She was getting freaked out and I was like ' what's your problem?' Then I went the second time with my son who wasnt scared at all and all of a sudden I felt terrified. But yes, this is precisely how it works for me.

If I am a six, pretty sure I'm a 6w5 either sp/sx or so/sx. I seem to oscillate between phobic and counterphobic. Seem more externally nine when phobic (i withdraw and hold it in ), more four or seven when cp, if that makes sense. Also more sx variant when cp.

I positively hate being told what to do. I have big time authority issues, can't deal with having a boss, and bristle every time I see a police officer, even when I'm doing nothing wrong. Silly.

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There are a few other people on TypeC who identify as 6s, though not as many as there should be, I suspect. ;) But most who do seem to identify as counterphobic. Anyone else out there see themselves as a phobic 6?

I think whether you're mainly counterphobic or phobic you're likely to have aspects of both.

Me! In fact, I don't think I'm even counterphobic at all... well, I can get VERY angry, but it's mostly from my Fi and not my 6 nature. I've never stood up to anyone, and I've never felt courage before. Ever.

As for instinct stacking, I'm pretty sure I'm an Sx/Sp (I think...), which is kinda weird for basically a purely phobic 6. I'm an interesting character to say the least. :laugh:

P.S.: I would read the ensuing comments right now, but I have to go to work soon. I'll watch them afterward. :alttongue:

Edit: Whoops, it looks like I misinterpreted the meaning of courage. Disregard what I said then.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Me! In fact, I don't think I'm even counterphobic at all... well, I can get VERY angry, but it's mostly from my Fi and not my 6 nature. I've never stood up to anyone, and I've never felt courage before. Ever.
As for instinct stacking, I'm pretty sure I'm an Sx/Sp (I think...), which is kinda weird for basically a purely phobic 6. I'm an interesting character to say the least. :laugh:
P.S.: I would read the ensuing comments right now, but I have to go to work soon. I'll watch them afterward. :alttongue:

sexual 6s are very protective. I'm sure if someone threatened a person you cared about you would go very counter phobic on them

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
sexual 6s are very protective. I'm sure if someone threatened a person you cared about you would go very counter phobic on them

No, I wouldn't. I may love the person dearly, but I would never go counterphobic. I've already been assumed to be like that by my little sister (though not in personality type terms), and when I told her that I'd whimper and submit in a life-threatening situation instead of standing up and defending me and the family, she was awestruck and said, "Great, now I can't feel safe around you anymore." And she shouldn't, because I couldn't handle something like that. I've also told my dad, but he doesn't believe me. He says, "You say you wouldn't, but you would." He also says that when I told him that if I had a daughter and she was raped, I wouldn't feel anger towards the offender. Just sheer disappointment and disgust. Not anger. My anger is unorthodox, actually.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And here we have people (previously) trying to pin me down as a 6.

After what I read here, it's very unlikely.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Concerning the issue with being calm when everyone is chaotic and chaotic when everyone is calm......

I don't like extremes. I find that it isn't necessarily that I'm taking the opposite approach, but that I just want things to remain moderate, not calm and not chaotic, just moderate. If it becomes too extreme one way or another, I don't like that, and will try to pull it back-to-middle. And this has to do with opinion as well.

I think my fight is for a moderate, realistic approach, whatever the issue may be. It can seem like I am doing the opposite, but upon observing and thinking, I'm just trying to get the situation back-to-center.

Hazashin

Secret Sex Freak
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If it becomes too extreme one way or another, I don't like that, and will try to pull it back-to-middle. And this has to do with opinion as well.

You may try and succeed at this, but I simply cannot willfully calm myself. When I try, I end up just being more anxious. :p

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You may try and succeed at this, but I simply cannot willfully calm myself. When I try, I end up just being more anxious. :p

I can but it takes time if I am really upset. Usually, I can reason myself out of feeling too anxious, but there are certain scenarios where I cannot. I have a few things I do to get rid of anxiety if it grows too much: take a hot bath, drink a beer. If that doesn't work, take an over-the-counter sleeping pill. That seems to always do it.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A couple of things:

Concerning the issue with being calm when everyone is chaotic and chaotic when everyone is calm......

I don't like extremes. I find that it isn't necessarily that I'm taking the opposite approach, but that I just want things to remain moderate, not calm and not chaotic, just moderate. If it becomes too extreme one way or another, I don't like that, and will try to pull it back-to-middle. And this has to do with opinion as well.

I think my fight is for a moderate, realistic approach, whatever the issue may be. It can seem like I am doing the opposite, but upon observing and thinking, I'm just trying to get the situation back-to-center.

I relate so much to this. I'm all about the middle of the road. Extremes of any sort usually bother me a lot, and I tend to feel that it's human nature to go to extremes (ie. making millions of petty little rules, OR disregarding and disrespecting all rules, even meaningful ones.)

I think 6s are very much about trying to see the (at least) ten sides to every story.

A couple of other questions:

Do other 6s (especially phobic) worry a lot about worrying or disappointing their parents? :blush: When I went to Egypt last summer with a few friends, I was the one who kept going "ooohhh...my parents would hate to see me in this crazy taxi with no seatbelt" and that sort of thing. THe others kind of laughed at me.

Also: are any of you as fixated on heroes as I am? I mean, I have a really weird thing about hero figures, as much as I'm aware that heroes often walk a fine line between genuine heroism, and stupidity.