• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 5] 5w4s in fiction

Jade Curtiss

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This seems to be a rare type both IRL and in fiction, so what are some good examples of fictional 5w4 characters?

I'll Start:
Raven from Teen Titans (animated series). sp/sx variant.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sp/Sx
Stephen Daedalous

So/Sp
CSI detective

So/Sx
Calvin (Calvin & Hobbes)
Beast (X-Men)

Sx/So
Hannibal Lecter
The Steppenwolf (Hesse's Steppenwolf)
Julie (Kieslowski's Bleu)
Count Almasy (the English Patient)
Von Aschenbach (Mann, Death in Venice)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This seems to be a rare type both IRL and in fiction, so what are some good examples of fictional 5w4 characters?

I'll Start:
Raven from Teen Titans (animated series). sp/sx variant.

I think Raven is sx/sp.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Victor Frankenstein: INFJ 5w4 sx/so

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
By "CSI detective" you mean Gil Grissom? Isn't he a 5w6?

Also:

Strong Sad (Homestar Runner)
Rose Lalonde (Homestuck)
Richard (The Hours)

I'll post more later - I have a list somewhere...

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Severus Snape 5w4 sx/sp

Jade Curtiss

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think Raven is sx/sp.

I could see that. I wasn't really all that sure myself whether she was sp or sx first, the soc last is the important part. Ep. 32, "Spellbound", the one with Malchior/Rorik and the ancient book she releases him from could be seen as a good case for her being an sx first, with her deep desire for an intimate connection with someone else who is dark and understands and appreciates who she really is. Most of the time however she is extremely dry and unenthusiastic about everything. Even when it comes to the things she enjoys (i.e. reading and meditating) she's never particularly passionate about them, and even though she obviously cares deeply for her friends she doesn't desire any deeper connection with any of them.

"They know what they like, but often find it difficult to get deeply excited or enthusiastic about anything. Such individuals also tend to have difficulty being intimate with others and may even avoid it altogether. They also tend to fall into routines, feeling uncomfortable if there is too much that is unfamiliar in their lives. They may feel socially involved with people but strangely disconnected even from spouses, friends, and family members." This is the description for a sx last variant, which I don't think she is (the description for the soc last variant fits her even better), but the description is still quite apt. Of course, 5s in general seem very self-preservational due to their inherent motivations, which can make the variant order difficult to determine.

Lotr246

Hmm...I need some help understanding this. On most boards, I see Hesse typed as a 4w5, but his character in Steppenwolf, Harry Haller, who is based off of Hesse himself is typed as 5w4. Could this mean Hesse is really a Five or is Haller a 4w5? I can see both points in the book. There's a whole section in the beginning that talks about how he sought independence above all, Type 5, but then there's such a disdain from him about the ordinary/commonplace/bourgeois mentality, which is more commonly associated with Type 4 preoccupations.

Same with Joyce. I see Ulysses motivated by the need to reconcile the Four fixation, by recasting the ordinary as extraordinary, by placing a bourgeois man, Bloom, as the hero of his book rather than the bohemian, Stephen Dedalus, again Joyce's representation of his younger self. The only evidence I could see for Joyce being a Five is his philosophical and intellectual prowess. Maybe I'm being too narrow, though.

What makes these characters 5w4 as opposed to 4w5?

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
L Lawliet (Death Note)
Bernard Black (Black Books)
Paul Weston (Gabriel Byrne in "In Treatment")
Jack Baker (Jeff Bridges in "The Fabulous Baker Boys")
Stéphane (Daniel Auteuil in "Un Coeur en Hiver")

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
How about Professor Calculus from the Tintin comics?

j7Ybm.jpg

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sam Lowry (from Terry Gilliam's Brazil)?
Daryl Zero (from Zero Effect)

Ivan Karamatzov (Dostoyevsky’s Brothers Karamatzov)
Miss Havisham (Dicken’s Great Expectations) A totally schizoid 5w4 .

Lotr246

Donnie Darko
George, (Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?)
Conrad Jarrett (from movie, Ordinary People): I thought 4w5 before, but on a second viewing, he compartmentalizes his feelings more: "It takes too much energy to get mad. When I let myself feel, all I feel is lousy." And at the beginning, he says he wants control so other people will leave him alone.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Raine Sage and Kratos Aurion from Tales of Symphonia are both 5w4s
Raine: ENTJ 5w4 sp/sx
Kratos: INTJ 5w4 sp/sx