• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 2] No love for type 2's?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
haha yea Jesus is a historical figure. And so are Zeus, Apollo, Heracles, Krishna, Quetzacoatl, Odin, and Loki.

(winged serpents can be historical figures too right?)

there is hard evidence that jesus existed. you can tour famous sites that he went to, you can buy a piece of the actual cross he was hung on and several of the actual scrolls upon which bible verses were originally written have been found. I'm not here to rapture you, but to say that Jesus didn't exist is just foolish and unfounded

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah Jesus was a real person.

However the eternal debate is if he was just a nice guy or Our Lord and Savior.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Source: http://www.vexen.co.uk/religion/christianity_nojesus.html
1.1. No Primary Source (First-Person) Accounts of Jesus Exist
No historians of the time mention Jesus. Suetonius (65-135) does not. Pliny the Younger only mentions Christians (Paulists) with no comment of Jesus himself. Tacitus mentions a Jesus, but it is likely that after a century of Christian preaching Tacitus was just reacting to these rumours, or probably talking about one of the many other Messiah's of the time. Josephus, a methodical, accurate and dedicated historian of the time mentions John the Baptist, Herod, Pilate and many aspects of Jewish life but does not mention Jesus. (The Testimonium Flavianum has been shown to be a third century Christian fraud). He once mentions a Jesus, but gives no information other than that he is a brother of a James. Jesus was not an unusual name, either. Justus, another Jewish historian who lived in Tiberias (near Kapernaum, a place Jesus frequented) did not mention Jesus nor any of his miracles. It is only in the evidence of later writers, writing about earlier times, that we find a Jesus. What is more surprising (Jesus could simply have been unknown to local historians) is that academics note that the gospels themselves do not allude to first-hand historical sources, either!

Of course, many will question the credibility of the site instead of questioning their ''holy bible'' and it is fine. I'm just providing a diferent view.
Edit: I've just made a thread on the Philosophy section to discuss that. http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/philosophy-spirituality/48706-did-jesus-exist.html

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
there is hard evidence that jesus existed. you can tour famous sites that he went to, you can buy a piece of the actual cross he was hung on and several of the actual scrolls upon which bible verses were originally written have been found. I'm not here to rapture you, but to say that Jesus didn't exist is just foolish and unfounded
The people selling those are descendants of the ones that were selling a spot in heaven some centuries ago! Seriously, it is hard to assume it's true.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wow...this thread has really jumped the shark..

*ahem*

I hope I didn't come across as condescending, Tinker... :blush: I was just providing a counterpoint to Elfboy's claim.

Healthy Twos FTW! :heart:

You didn't come off as condescending at all, you made very valid points. Thank you though for your consideration, its' appreciated :)

While he may or may not have said so in a way that other people would have agreed with, I actually think Elfboy did bring up some valid criticisms of Twos.

I don't know about other two's, but I know that I am my own worst enemy. I have a very *very* strong need to feel loved and wanted and often times this mines that I'll put myself in positions that will allow me to get overworked and/or taken advantage of. It's usually then I'll start to get resentful, stressed, and/or really angry with the person or the situation. I mentioned pride in my earlier post and this is where it usually comes into play: I'll start to become controlling and think to myself, "You know, I do SO much for this person, don't I deserve something in return???"

It's that thought that is usually my cognitive red-flag to me that I need to stop whatever I'm doing and step back and take-five.

The thing of it is though, people are generally selfish. Mind you, when I say that I don't mean that with any sort of negative connotation, I simply mean that if you tell a person that you're going to do something with no strings attached, and even that you enjoy performing this act of service for someone, then they'll (surprise!) let you do it over and over again. When these same people suddenly get a request for some sort of gratitude or appreciation, they'll suddenly feel like that've been had or manipulated. This I think is what turns a lot of people off to Twos.

As a Two, I've had to learn that I have to be a little selfish and that I need to care for my own needs just as much as I want to care for others. I have a great deal of pride in myself (as do many twos from what I understand) and when I do something really nice for someone that I know could put me in a compromising position, I have to make my intentions and my reasons for doing so clear as to avoid any misunderstandings further up the road.

Otherwise I run the risk of being walked all over and then (rather stupidly) getting angry at people for doing exactly what I allowed them to do (and in some cases, even encouraged them to do) and getting all pissy and passive aggressive with them as a result.

At least, that's what I think I'm supposed to do in theory. How often I actually do that though....well, not as much as I probably should. I hate conflict, particularly with people I really like and I've found that asserting my own needs is a delicate balancing act...one of which I'd rather just avoid sometimes.

It's horribly stupid and irrational and I don't blame people for bashing unhealthy or unbalanced Twos...I know I'm thoroughly unpleasant to be around in that state.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm nice but I don't have much of problem setting boundaries or conveying my needs. This is something I had to learn though.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Otherwise I run the risk of being walked all over and then (rather stupidly) getting angry at people for doing exactly what I allowed them to do (and in some cases, even encouraged them to do) and getting all pissy and passive aggressive with them as a result.

But isn't this selfish, which is exactly what two's are guilty of believing about everyone else? It seems that some two's actually seek out these scenarios.

I don't know about other two's, but I know that I am my own worst enemy. I have a very *very* strong need to feel loved and wanted and often times this mines that I'll put myself in positions that will allow me to get overworked and/or taken advantage of. It's usually then I'll start to get resentful, stressed, and/or really angry with the person or the situation. I mentioned pride in my earlier post and this is where it usually comes into play: I'll start to become controlling and think to myself, "You know, I do SO much for this person, don't I deserve something in return???"

It's that thought that is usually my cognitive red-flag to me that I need to stop whatever I'm doing and step back and take-five.

The thing of it is though, people are generally selfish. Mind you, when I say that I don't mean that with any sort of negative connotation, I simply mean that if you tell a person that you're going to do something with no strings attached, and even that you enjoy performing this act of service for someone, then they'll (surprise!) let you do it over and over again. When these same people suddenly get a request for some sort of gratitude or appreciation, they'll suddenly feel like that've been had or manipulated. This I think is what turns a lot of people off to Twos.

It is definitely what turned me off. I have been aware of my mil's way since I first met her. I sensed it. But I also think it is the fault of the person on the receiving end as well, since they apparently don't understand that NOTHING in life is free. If a two offers me something, I politely decline, because I know what they are up to. This is why I don't consider them altruistic. I think two's perform altruistic acts on occasion, but overall, I don't consider them altruistic. If I accepted any sort of service from a two, I would feel overly-committed and indebted to them, which is a scenario I generally avoid in life. So no, I don't think you could put me in that "selfish" pot with everyone else, of receiving with no feelings of being indebted to that person in some way, or believing that I didn't owe them something. I think two's CAN be taken advantage of, but generally it's those people who are willing to take advantage of someone that are on the receiving end. So that leaves you with an unrealistic perspective of people in general.

As a Two, I've had to learn that I have to be a little selfish and that I need to care for my own needs just as much as I want to care for others. I have a great deal of pride in myself (as do many twos from what I understand) and when I do something really nice for someone that I know could put me in a compromising position, I have to make my intentions and my reasons for doing so clear as to avoid any misunderstandings further up the road.

I'm nice but I don't have much of problem setting boundaries or conveying my needs. This is something I had to learn though.

Good for you. You are both smarter than my mil. LoL....

The one thing I have noticed about two's, is that some seem to believe from their standpoint that they have been taken advantage of, when nothing beyond the ordinary has happened. For example, my mil likes feeding cats in feral cat colonies. Her daughter was going there to feed cats in a feral cat colony, but she moved, so she had to quit feeding them. So my mil (the two), stepped in and started feeding them. She then calls the daughter "selfish" and claims she is "taking advantage of her". The daughter just assumed that the cats would go find another food source, yet, the mother insists that the daughter stuck her with the task of taking over the feeding of the cat colony.

If the same thing happened to me, I would just assume that the daughter moved, that she couldn't drive that far to feed the cats anymore, and that they would find another source of food. I would not feel taken advantage of, or that the person was selfish for choosing not to feed the cats anymore. My mil (the two) simply doesn't view the situation the same way I do. And that's what I initially meant by someone selling a scenario differently than it is, to me. In reality, imo, the two was not taken advantage of or overworked, unless she chose to be overworked by taking over the feeding of the cats. She actually seeked out this scenario.

So my mil is so retarded that she is saying the daughter is "selfish" right in my presence. So I was like, well, you must think I am selfish too lol......

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Tinker's post seems spot on - my ESFJ 2(w3?) dad has that problem: he gives and gives, even when you insist ("No, thanks, I'll do it on my own" "But it's easier if I help!") and then goes all, "I do so much for you, and you dare criticize me? :cry:". I generally try to minimize my needs, which prompts him to "create" new ones ("It's obvious Viridian wants help with his project!" "Er, dad..." "Don't you? Of course you do!"). You can see how that might be a problem... XD

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ICUP, re your mil... just ignore her/that. She is not saying that you are by extension selfish, and she probably doesn't even believe that her daughter is selfish. That's just her way of expressing her frustration about not having help because the cats are too much of a burden to handle by herself but at the same time she feels like she can't leave them (the cats). What did she say to the idea that the cats will find somewhere else to go for food? (I have no experience with feral cats so I don't know)

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ICUP, re your mil... just ignore her/that. She is not saying that you are by extension selfish, and she probably doesn't even believe that her daughter is selfish. That's just her way of expressing her frustration about not having help because the cats are too much of a burden to handle by herself but at the same time she feels like she can't leave them (the cats). What did she say to the idea that the cats will find somewhere else to go for food? (I have no experience with feral cats so I don't know)

They set up the colony there because there are nearby sources of food....
I don't believe in feeding self-sustaining ferals at all. But, generally, they will find other sources of food around (hunting, dumpsters, at the worst), if no one is around to feed them, much like any cat that lives outside.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
maybe your mil is a crazy cat lady???

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
maybe your mil is a crazy cat lady???

Yes. :D She had 20+ cats at one time. Now she is down to 12.
She punched through a guy's window one time for kicking a cat.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, there's 2 kinds of "crazy cat ladies" -- the ones who live in their own world with lots of happy fluffy cats and they are so happy and fluffy themselves too. And then there are the cranky cat ladies who are pissed off at the world for not being just like them.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But isn't this selfish, which is exactly what two's are guilty of believing about everyone else? It seems that some two's actually seek out these scenarios.

I don't think it's selfish so much as it's irrational and grossly unfair.

1) If you tell someone upfront that you are going to do something for them, not because you expect payment but because you want to do it for them, then as far as I'm concerned you have forfeited your right to request or demand some sort of payment or compensation. It's unreasonable for me to tell someone I don't expect compensation or that I do this because I want too and then turn right now and demand compensation or recognition.

The exception to this rule for me is if the person forgets even the most basic of manners and forgets to say "Thank you." If I don't even get a thanks of some sort then I'll probably avoid this person in the future. I realize this will sound decidedly SJish of me but social etiquette is important to me and it's basic manners for me to say "Thank you" when someone does something for you.

We all have our pet peeves I suppose :blush:

2) Some twos I do think delibrately put themselves into this situations and I'll touch on that in a moment.

It is definitely what turned me off. I have been aware of my mil's way since I first met her. I sensed it. But I also think it is the fault of the person on the receiving end as well, since they apparently don't understand that NOTHING in life is free.

Indeedy.

If a two offers me something, I politely decline, because I know what they are up to. This is why I don't consider them altruistic. I think two's perform altruistic acts on occasion, but overall, I don't consider them altruistic.

This actually goes to the bigger question of whether or not there is in fact such a thing as altruism but I'll leave that for the Philosophy section of the forum ;)

If I accepted any sort of service from a two, I would feel overly-committed and indebted to them, which is a scenario I generally avoid in life.

You sound just like my ESTP dance partner. She gives me SUCH a hard time when I want to do nice things for her ;)

I think that so much as both parties could communicate ALL expectations at the beginning of any such transaction, confusion and feelings of commitment or being in debt to someone.

So no, I don't think you could put me in that "selfish" pot with everyone else, of receiving with no feelings of being indebted to that person in some way, or believing that I didn't owe them something.

I wasn't suggesting you didn't think those feelings. I just said most people do. Most people probably don't even realize the number of people in their life that they take for granted and that they never stop to thank them or tell them how much they're appreciated. This isn't because they are bad or uncaring people. On the contrary, many are very good natured and hope for the best. I just don't think they realize the needs and wants of the people around them. The problem I think lies in communicating our needs and wants juxtaposed to the social expectations of our current situation in life.

Twos I think are just painfully more aware of this because we desire that sort of recognition considerably more than other types. I think more than other types we desire to be loved, to be acknowledged, to feel needed. How that need expresses itself though, and whether or not it's rational or fair, I think you'd have to do on a case by case basis.

I think two's CAN be taken advantage of, but generally it's those people who are willing to take advantage of someone that are on the receiving end. So that leaves you with an unrealistic perspective of people in general.

As I mentioned above, not always.

I don't think my perspective is unrealistic. If anything, I think I'm more honest about the nature of people than many others are. I like to hope for and think the best of them, but I'm not at all unwilling to acknowledge their faults as well.

Good for you. You are both smarter than my mil. LoL....

The one thing I have noticed about two's, is that some seem to believe from their standpoint that they have been taken advantage of, when nothing beyond the ordinary has happened.

This does often happen.

For example, my mil likes feeding cats in feral cat colonies. Her daughter was going there to feed cats in a feral cat colony, but she moved, so she had to quit feeding them. So my mil (the two), stepped in and started feeding them. She then calls the daughter "selfish" and claims she is "taking advantage of her". The daughter just assumed that the cats would go find another food source, yet, the mother insists that the daughter stuck her with the task of taking over the feeding of the cat colony.

Your mil is being unreasonable.

It is not her daughter's responsibility to care for the well being of the cats. The fact that she chose to do so was entirely her choice. Her daughter can not be said to have had taken advantage of anyone, since they were not her responsibility to begin with and the only duty her daughter "stuck her" with is the duty that you mil decided to take up herself.

She being emotionally manipulative and that sucks.

If the same thing happened to me, I would just assume that the daughter moved, that she couldn't drive that far to feed the cats anymore, and that they would find another source of food. I would not feel taken advantage of, or that the person was selfish for choosing not to feed the cats anymore. My mil (the two) simply doesn't view the situation the same way I do. And that's what I initially meant by someone selling a scenario differently than it is, to me. In reality, imo, the two was not taken advantage of or overworked, unless she chose to be overworked by taking over the feeding of the cats. She actually seeked out this scenario.

I'd agree with you completely.

So my mil is so retarded that she is saying the daughter is "selfish" right in my presence. So I was like, well, you must think I am selfish too lol......

She is being rather stupid about all of this =\

Tinker's post seems spot on - my ESFJ 2(w3?) dad has that problem: he gives and gives, even when you insist ("No, thanks, I'll do it on my own" "But it's easier if I help!") and then goes all, "I do so much for you, and you dare criticize me? :cry:". I generally try to minimize my needs, which prompts him to "create" new ones ("It's obvious Viridian wants help with his project!" "Er, dad..." "Don't you? Of course you do!"). You can see how that might be a problem... XD

A huge one. I *HATE* when parents and/or loved ones do this as they have NO IDEA how much influence and power they have over the ones they care about and how much they're abusing them when they do this.

On a completely unrelated note, This does however confirm as as outgoing as I can be, I'm definately no ESFJ :)

ETA:

I realized after posting that I didn't really touch on why it is Twos might put themselves into situations like this and I meant too. I'm going to get slightly personal and I apologize in advance if I go out on a slight tangent but not only is trying to articulate my feelings has always been a challenge for me but I'm also trying to provide a context that will make what I'm saying easier to understand.

*ahem*

It's been in my observation that some Twos, or really anyone given toward a nurturing or care-giving temperament, when they are feeling incredibly neglected or have some other mental or emotional problem, can slip into a pattern of deliberately placing themselves in situations in which they are needed and then becoming incredibly manipulative when they don't receive whatever recognition it is they personally feel they deserve.

Now, why they do this, I don't really know. I suppose it's because they're attempting to assert a sense or feeling of control over something that they don't inherently have any control over. Maybe it's because they lack such a degree of self-worth that they'll take any form of appreciation than achieve, even if it means emotionally wrangling it out of someone.

Whatever the cause, these people seem to become almost like emotional vampires and I think these people are sources of some of the worst horror stories you hear about Type Twos. These people become so self-absorbed in their own needs that they fail to comprehend that not only are they hurting the people around them but that often they are perpetuating the very thing they are seeking to avoid!

I work a lot right now. That's going to change here in the next couple of weeks but I spend currently the vast majority of my time focused on job responsibilities and/or other obligations and I leave very little time for myself. As a result, over the past several months, I've noticed a growing sense of loneliness, isolation, and even depression in me that honestly scares the crap out of me.

It scares me because during the worst moments I've noticed that I often start to feel very resentful toward my friends, whom I feel (during those moments anyway) that I'm constantly giving to them and that I'm getting not really much of anything in return. This feeling I've read is a common thought-train in people who are feeling incredibly lonely and I've had to work very hard at keeping myself centered and making sure that I try to see things rationally.

Unfortunately though I'm a Feeler so doing something like that is not easy. It's like trying to stop an erupting volcano and mantra's and other zen-like thought process and cognitive reassurances, while helpful, can not change the fact that my needs simply aren't being met and that I need to change things right now.

Which I am taking steps to do. I'm quitting my 2nd job in a little under two weeks so I'll have more time to refocus on myself and essential rediscover myself as for the past two years. I'll actually have time now to go out and connect with people and establish more meaningful friendships and/or relationships. I'll be able to sleep more and eat better instead of my normal sleeping for 5 hours or so a night and eating primarily on the go (For the record, I don't eat fast food or anything, just a lot of meals that only take a few minutes to prepare. I think it's been two weeks since I've had a genuine home cooked meal). I'll also be able to exercise more and dedicate more time to my Yoga which I've fallen bnehind on

I think with all of these things I will start to stabilize and become a much better person as a result.

In the meantime, I'm just hanging on and enduring and having to reread stuff and re-remind myself that I'm not alone and that I'm not unwanted, even though I've found myself feeling that way often a lot. Things will get better for me though soon :)

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
It's always a delight to see you post, Tinker. :D

A huge one. I *HATE* when parents and/or loved ones do this as they have NO IDEA how much influence and power they have over the ones they care about and how much they're abusing them when they do this.

On a completely unrelated note, This does however confirm as as outgoing as I can be, I'm definately no ESFJ :)

Yeah, he's a big part of why I feel so indebted to my parents - dad makes it very clear that I owe him a lot. Sometimes I get struck with Well Done Son Syndrome, even (WARNING TV TROPES WILL SUCK THE TIME OUT OF YOUR DAYS).

It's been in my observation that some Twos, or really anyone given toward a nurturing or care-giving temperament, when they are feeling incredibly neglected or have some other mental or emotional problem, can slip into a pattern of deliberately placing themselves in situations in which they are needed and then becoming incredibly manipulative when they don't receive whatever recognition it is they personally feel they deserve.

Now, why they do this, I don't really know. I suppose it's because they're attempting to assert a sense or feeling of control over something that they don't inherently have any control over. Maybe it's because they lack such a degree of self-worth that they'll take any form of appreciation than achieve, even if it means emotionally wrangling it out of someone.

Whatever the cause, these people seem to become almost like emotional vampires and I think these people are sources of some of the worst horror stories you hear about Type Twos. These people become so self-absorbed in their own needs that they fail to comprehend that not only are they hurting the people around them but that often they are perpetuating the very thing they are seeking to avoid!

Yeah, the "matriarch as villain" archetype is largely based in unhealthy Twos, I think. :yes:

We've been waiting for you, Coraline. :cheese:

In the meantime, I'm just hanging on and enduring and having to reread stuff and re-remind myself that I'm not alone and that I'm not unwanted, even though I've found myself feeling that way often a lot. Things will get better for me though soon :)

I hope so! :hug:

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Tinker, I think I agree with much of what you've said and even identify with certain aspects of it. You seem to be very aware of your two issues, and much healthier than my mil. My niece is also a 2w1, and she is a sweetie. Maybe this has something to do also with my mil being a 2w3. I think she does turn to crazy emo vampire woman! I also hope that life takes an upturn for you soon!

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Parents are funny things. A wise one should learn how to "let go" of their children when they become adults and vice versa.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Parents are funny things. A wise one should learn how to "let go" of their children when they become adults and vice versa.

Technically, I'm 19, but the point stands. :yes:

"Son, you need to be more responsible. I think you should do X on your own."
"Okey-dokey!"
[...]
"Hey there, son! I went out and did the thing I asked you to do. Ain't I a great dad? :D"
"Um, thanks, dad."
[...]
"Son, you need to be more responsible..."

Lather, rinse, repeat. :doh:

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Technically, I'm 19, but the point stands. :yes:

"Son, you need to be more responsible. I think you should do X on your own."
"Okey-dokey!"
[...]
"Hey there, son! I went out and did the thing I asked you to do. Ain't I a great dad? :D"
"Um, thanks, dad."
[...]
"Son, you need to be more responsible..."

Lather, rinse, repeat. :doh:

:laugh: I do not envy you.