• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 3] 3w4 and 3w2 differences (with variants)?

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sure there's the star and the cold professionals or whatever the type descriptions decide to flower them with.

What I'm really interested is the differences between each of them as well as examples (that have some sort of equatable comparison eg cold, hot whatever).

I'm curious when it comes to the variants as well, and also the distinctions that define each type with its variants (eg 3w2 sp/sx vs 3w4 sp/sx)

Examples?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
- well, first off, sx/sp and sp/sx 3s are almost always 3w4
- 3w2s are crowd pleasers, 3w4s are elitists/socialites
- 3w2s are usually more trendy, 3w4s tend to dress more classically stylish
- 3w2s tend to be more gregarious while 3w4s are usually a little more reserved
- 3w4s are more contradictory. 4 and 3 are two of the most opposing types on the enneagram
- compare Madonna (3w4 sx/sp) and Elvis Presley (3w2 sx/so....I think)

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
3w2s are more outwardly affable, I think, while 3w4s are more professional.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From my observations.
The 2 wing bring to 3w2 a connection to 9 under stress, because they tend to supress their own needs and adapt their image in function of the need of others, but still above all active and oriented toward action and result, in difference with real 2. At the security point, the wing 2 bring them the feeling to be connected with the group, they typically are model citizens, are confident in society and adopt society's code, are optimistic about the succes their society can bring. Typicall example are Two-Face, Elvis presley or theses rants from Fabio (a 3w2 Sx/Sp): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS201JMvttU
The 4 wing bring to 3w4 a certain moodiness, and coldness, also, they want to be succesful, and think they must do something special to be succesful. Being not as self-aware than true 4, they tend to use their mental to produce creative alternative, they can also be rebelious and critical about society, or be loyal to what they think they must do to be productive: a concern with duty, loyalty to company, family, or an caution about dangers wich could threaten their success is not ucommon. At the security point, the 4 wing bring a connection to 9, become more quiet, more self-assured and optimistic, more serene, and they also feel connected with the flow and the whole humanity, but are less compliant then 6s, more introspective, remote , creative, subtle and elite.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From my observations.
The 2 wing bring to 3w2 a connection to 9 under stress, because they tend to supress their own needs and adapt their image in function of the need of others, but still above all active and oriented toward action and result, in difference with real 2. At the security point, the wing 2 bring them the feeling to be connected with the group, they typically are model citizens, are confident in society and adopt society's code, are optimistic about the succes their society can bring. Typicall example are Two-Face, Elvis presley or theses rants from Fabio (a 3w2 Sx/Sp): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS201JMvttU
The 4 wing bring to 3w4 a certain moodiness, and coldness, also, they want to be succesful, and think they must do something special to be succesful. Being not as self-aware than true 4, they tend to use their mental to produce creative alternative, they can also be rebelious and critical about society, or be loyal to what they think they must do to be productive: a concern with duty, loyalty to company, family, or an caution about dangers wich could threaten their success is not ucommon. At the security point, the 4 wing bring a connection to 9, become more quiet, more self-assured and optimistic, more serene, and they also feel connected with the flow and the whole humanity, but are less compliant then 6s, more introspective, remote , creative, subtle and elite.

how does 3w2 grow to 6 while 3w4 grows to 9?

Chloe

i think i am 3w4 and i definately disintergate to 9, as all 3s do, with that becoming lazy, inert, sleeping a lot... over burn after chasing success
Intergration to 6 looks like being more happy with fact that success is spread among more people and i am no te best, so its like ability to enjoy other peoples success and not minding if someone is better at something.

Boo

MBTI Type
ENFP
I never agreed that 3w2s care more about people and that 3w4s care about projects. I think being a 3 means they would care regardless, but a 3w2 generally likes everyone and would like if all admired them. 3s with 4 wings only want attention and admiration from a select few; "elitist." They probably want to be the best at something while being unique. And maybe more volatile in behavior; fluctuating between confidence and self-doubt. Moodier and more emotional but know when to keep it in check.

montecristo

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
3w4
aye 3w4 here. great info. i agree with everything that has been said bout my type.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have another question.

I know it's outwardly different and I'm seriously considering 3w4 as my core. What would be the differences between 3w4 and 8w9? I know the main motivations of those 2 types are different but what shows the difference in motivations? What can be seen from each of the listed type that reflects their motivations?

I.e. 3w4 shame and 8w9 rage, what shows?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I have another question.

I know it's outwardly different and I'm seriously considering 3w4 as my core. What would be the differences between 3w4 and 8w9? I know the main motivations of those 2 types are different but what shows the difference in motivations? What can be seen from each of the listed type that reflects their motivations?

I.e. 3w4 shame and 8w9 rage, what shows?

the difference to me is that 3 has two tangible levels, and inner and an outer. the outer is not concerned, but the inner is concerned. it is vulnerable. the outside is a veneer. the inside only is self, what they want to be. the outside is what they think they should be.

8 has one level. it vulnerable, because it is pure self. it is what they want to be. there is no layer of what others think they should be, even though there might be a shell of protection from harm. it's like if you walk barefoot often, the skin on the soles of your feet becomes harder. they are still your feet, bare and pure, but they have developed protection.

whereas 3 wears a shoe. a very nice, carefully chosen, representative shoe. but it is not the true foot. in the case of 3w4, it's going to be a shoe that is chosen to match the wearer's personal interests. its colors and patterns will all be representative of the self. it will reflect who the wearer is and wants to be. the 3w2 shoe will be more trendy, more suited to the environment.

in terms of feeling people, 3s are more glossy. 8s are more powerful. a 3 can be dominant but the inner layer is tangible when you get to know them, and sometimes it shows in how they are hurt when the self is insulted. a 3 might get angry outwardly when hurt, but inside they get sad. they may also get angry because someone made them feel that sadness they try so hard to deny. you can often see that. an 8 may get sad about other things in life, but they will rarely get sad about their self, because they are already being who they want to be. they will get angry, instead, when others hurt them. they may get sad about the relationship or the general state of things, but they will not lament their self because it is already being extraverted. the 3 will lament the self.

8's problem is that they are too concerned with what they want to be; 3's that they are too concerned with what they should be. 8 will sacrifice what could be for the extraversion of the self - they alter their environments to make room for themselves, but they have to steel their self because they are doing that. 8's problem is that his callus gets so hard that he sometimes cannot even feel the ground.

for a 3w4, it will not be very clear that the "should" comes from anywhere but the self (and it does come from the self), but it is often an inner manifestation of external values. a 3w4 friend of mine has been trying to make his father proud for years and years, even though it usually appears that he is unconcerned with what most others think. except, that is, when he himself chooses and values a person - he is very concerned, for example, about what his mentors think of him. he hand-picked them because they are representatives of what he wants to become. 3's problem is that the shoe is not him. his foot has rarely felt the pure joy of feeling the ground, even though sometimes the sole is thin enough that he thinks he knows.

so they are similar, 3 and 8, because they both have the problem of not being able to feel the ground. they're both overly assertive and egocentric, they both can accidentally trample others as they deny their feelings. but they can't feel the ground for very different reasons - the 8 puts the true self out there and then is forced to protect - and protects it too much - while the 3 hides the self.

i know more about 3s than 8s in general, though.

here is this, from enneagraminsititute, as well. i think they place an overemphasis on public acclaim for 3s that will be more readily related to by 3w2 than 3w4. 3w4 only cares about the opinions of those they handpick.

Misidentifying Threes and Eights

Threes and Eights are both assertive (PT, 433-36), although the confusion between them centers on the competition found in average Threes and a similar competitiveness in average Eights.

In general terms, both Eights and Threes are ambitious and competitive: both types want to rise above others. The difference is that average Eights are self-assertive and want others to give them their way immediately so they do not have to waste time and energy fighting with people–not that they are afraid to do so. Eights compete for material and sexual dominance, less over purely social or status issues. For instance, Eights usually do not spend a lot of time comparing themselves with others, and certainly never to the degree that Threes do. For the same reason that Threes confuse themselves with Sevens and Fives (because they are looking for a flattering identity), it is far more likely that Threes identify themselves as Eights rather than vice versa.

Despite some superficial similarities, the differences are profound: Eights are leaders, deal makers, and power brokers who want to make the world conform to their personal vision. They want to have a large impact, to build and accomplish great things, possibly something that will live as a testament to the greatness of their audacity and will. Strong and implacable, they can be ruthless when something or someone gets in their way. They have large egos, and achieving some form of glory is important to them. Money is both a form of power and a means to amass more of it. Achieving personal power is the dominating drive in Eights, and there is nothing ambiguous, much less furtive or duplicitous, about them.

By contrast, power is not the key motive of Threes; achieving success and prestige and basking in the admiring attention of others is. (By contrast, Eights do not care about popularity; they do not care about the goodwill of others, so long as they get their way.) If Eights are natural leaders, Threes are natural managers and technicians. If Eights do not fear failure as such, Threes fear failure deeply because they see it as a personal humiliation, a potential occasion for being rejected, their deepest fear. By contrast, Eights see failure as an opportunity to learn something and come back stronger. If Eights are too busy achieving their purposes to worry about public opinion, Threes live and die on the opinions of others and desperately want to be in demand socially. If average Eights are combative and intimidating and can "take the heat", despite a certain bravado, average Threes will back down or be driven to deviousness: they cannot take pressure for long or exposure for a moment. In short, even average Eights are the "genuine article," whereas average Threes are an imitation of it. Contrast Eights such as Telly Savalas and John Wayne with Threes such as Sylvester Stallone and Burt Reynolds.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx

I never agreed that 3w2s care more about people and that 3w4s care about projects. I think being a 3 means they would care regardless, but a 3w2 generally likes everyone and would like if all admired them. 3s with 4 wings only want attention and admiration from a select few; "elitist." They probably want to be the best at something while being unique. And maybe more volatile in behavior; fluctuating between confidence and self-doubt. Moodier and more emotional but know when to keep it in check.

I can relate to a lot of what was said above. Especially with “And maybe be more volatile in behavior; fluctuating between confidence and self-doubt”.

It sucks really bad to be an unemployed 3w4, it’s really killing me inside. I don’t know how some people love receiving unemployment payments and try to milk it for as long as they can, I would much rather be doing something right now. I did get a job the other day, which didn’t work out. Before hand I kept going back and forth with anxiety, self-doubt, confidence, & happiness. It was pretty bad, in the end I was confident and ready to go, too bad it turned out to be a no go! I feel worried and unproductive…I need to find my place, someplace where I feel like I belong and am appreciated for the work that I do.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
after watching a fair amount of type 3 interviews, it seems to me that the difference between 3w2 and 3w4 is similar to the difference between Fi and Fe
- 3w2s want to be admired by others; 3w4s want to be admirable
- 3w2s are trendy; 3w4s are formal
- 3w2s are gregarious; 3w4s are reserved
- 3w2s anger is like fire; 3w4's anger is like ice
- 3w2s want to be mainstream/current; 3w4s scoff at trendy nonsense
- 3w2s standards for success are more culturally dictated; 3w4s standards for success are more personal. for instance, a 3w2 might decide to do something because their friends are doing it, whereas a 3w4 is more likely to do something because they were moved by it and say to themselves "I want to do that". as a personal example, I watched the Count of Monte Cristo and told myself "from now on, I'm going to conduct myself like a King"
- 3w2s prize relatability and synergy; 3w4s prize integrity, poise and distinction
- 3w2s "everyone else is doing it, I want to be the best at it"; 3w4s "everyone else is doing it, I'm going niche"
- if we were to compare the two to live performers, 3w2s are like rock stars. they exude high energy and charisma and love to interact with the audience and get the crowd roaring. a 3w4s performance is more like an opera. the performance is graceful, artistic and professional, it is to be watched, not interacted with. at the same time though, 3w4 performers exude a kind of fiery, dramatic flair that is just as intense as the rock star example, but more focused and controlled.
- this is just speculation, but most of the time it seems like many 3w2s are 7 wannabes and many 3w4s are 1 wannabes

personally, I think most of the online descriptions of 3s are heavily w2 biased. lots of 3w4s have probably read them and thought "I'm not like this at all"