• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 6] Difference between 6w7 and 7w6?

Boo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Deciphering a main motive for me x_X Most things I hold important are separated depending on time restraints.
Likeee goals I hope to accomplish in the near future and others that can be expended upon "whenever."
My family has a lot of interesting connections and I'm sort of the guinea pig of a lot of their ideas, so I was hoping after I'd finish college I'd take on one of those occupations :D Then bragging rights during high school graduation would be in the bag lol.
Right now, though, I just focus on maintaining my image and succeeding in school while balancing everything :cheese:

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Deciphering a main motive for me x_X Most things I hold important are separated depending on time restraints.
Likeee goals I hope to accomplish in the near future and others that can be expended upon "whenever."
My family has a lot of interesting connections and I'm sort of the guinea pig of a lot of their ideas, so I was hoping after I'd finish college I'd take on one of those occupations :D Then bragging rights during high school graduation would be in the bag lol.
Right now, though, I just focus on maintaining my image and succeeding in school while balancing everything :cheese:

Hmm.. wait, you said you were in highschool though, right? Maybe that's why your motive seems to be image and one upping other highschoolers. (I'm not questioning a possible three attitude, but highschool does have a certain culture that could color your judgment about yourself)

Boo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Hmm.. wait, you said you were in highschool though, right? Maybe that's why your motive seems to be image and one upping other highschoolers. (I'm not questioning a possible three attitude, but highschool does have a certain culture that could color your judgment about yourself)
That's why I'm a bit uncertain about my type sometimes. However, I always craved a job that would put me higher up regardless, even before high school. I just wanted that kind of approval from others...which makes me wonder if that's SO. But then I'd also want that job to give me a life full of opportunities, a lot of work, no "idle time." A job that covers everything and all I need to do is work hard.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's why I'm a bit uncertain about my type sometimes. However, I always craved a job that would put me higher up regardless, even before high school. I just wanted that kind of approval from others...which makes me wonder if that's SO. But then I'd also want that job to give me a life full of opportunities, a lot of work, no "idle time." A job that covers everything and all I need to do is work hard.

I see... I think it's whatever really sets right with you deep in your heart, (most of the time, perhaps not all of the time.) I think I may have changed vision of myself a lot in highschool but would have kept landing on 7.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For me, as 7w6, "funnyness" is kind of centerpiece of my personality. Not that I even consider myself exceptionally hilarious... (Well, LIE. I DO find myself hilarious at times, but not stand up comedienne funny.) But at the same time, when healthy, I'm almost always giggling or finding something ironic, sarcastic, or just plain out of the ordinary to laugh about. It's just an atmosphere of "funny." It's kind of wonky at times, really.

My dad was a 7w6 and he was the same way..... he was an entertainer.... always wanting to be seen, and would do just about anything for a laugh. He was a musician, and he would make up these silly songs and perform them, like "woody woodpecker". He WAS funny, in a self-deprecating way. (Carol Burnette, Buck Owens)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i think i'm a 6w7. this thread makes me question :laugh:

enneagraminstitute said:
Misidentifying Sixes and Sevens

Sixes and Sevens can be mistyped when there is confusion between main type and wing: that is, between a Six with a Seven-wing and a Seven with a Six-wing. Both are Thinking types, and both are driven by anxiety, although they cope with their anxious feelings in strikingly different ways. Sixes tend to react to their anxiety by fretting and becoming more anxious. They may react counterphobically by reacting against their fears, but react they do. Further, anxiety tends to make Sixes more pessimistic and negative about themselves and their prospects. They can be full of self-doubt, while being suspicious of the motives of others.

Sevens, by contrast are extremely optimistic, and react to anxiety by looking for enjoyable distractions. Sevens suppress their self-doubt as much as possible, and try to keep everything upbeat. Sevens tend to deny the dark corners of their souls, sixes tend to get stuck in them. Sixes, however, have a heightened sense of responsibility and do not allow themselves to "goof off" until all of their obligations have been met. Sevens, for better or for worse, are far more spontaneous, and resist having too many expectations placed on them. They want to be free to come and go as they please, and find the Six's persistent sense of commitment potentially limiting and dull. Sixes tend to find the Seven's lifestyle flighty and irresponsible. In short, sixes seek out structure and guidelines: Sevens resist both. Compare David Letterman (a Six) with Jim Carey (a Seven).

Nomenclature said:
I was talking to a 6 the other day (you know Korrbin, right?) who said that he wasn't much of a traveler (in the context of me saying something about joining the Peace Corps... i.e. overseas and long-term) because it was like, "I wouldn't want to make a commitment and limit my options. What if it ends up not being what I expected and I can't back out of it? [...]

Thing is, 6's NEED to have something to anticipate and align their plans and backups.

yeah. i relate with that. i actually love love love to travel but i hate the idea of getting trapped in something for the longterm. i can also wing it really well in the moment but i dislike going into something knowing i have to wing it. it's kind of exciting but also nervewracking.

Marm said:
I have the terror of making the wrong decision, I have a lot of those traits.

But I'm just not as carefree. I'm just too intense and worried about certain things.

ditto.

ICUP said:
Fear of death seems to be somewhat common for 6w7's.

seems to be somewhat common for humans. ;)

me, i'm afraid of nothingness.

Nomenclature said:
Lady X said:
and 7 is what?? afraid of boredom? being trapped? not being able to experience all the things you want to experience?
Being confined by your circumstances. Not being able to move around. I imagine with 6's it's more like, "What's holding me back is that x is the worst that could happen, and there might be something better that I missed" and with 7 it's like, "Why would that hold me back? C'est la vie. RIGHT NOW there isn't something better, so I'll go for it." I wouldn't know, though. Head and gut fixes aren't in my repertoire.

i'm afraid of making or having made the wrong choice, which will cut off future options, or trap me when there's something better. it's sort of weird, it's anticipatory fear. it's totally imaginary.

i'm really good at making my own personal hell like that, even over really stupid little things like choosing a shirt color. example: do i want the red or green? hard choice... i do like plants more than fire... but i feel fiery sometimes... mom likes red better, dad likes green better, i don't want to choose between them... what if i get the red then i really would rather have the green... or vice versa... ok i'll get the green... then i go home and wonder if i should have gotten the red. i don't think like that all the time, but frequently enough. the odd thing is that once pressure is applied, it gets a lot easier for me. if i'm under fire because of a deadline or some other pressing circumstance, and don't have time to overthink it, then i make really good, quick decisions.

CzeCze said:
Which distilled, is basically we are afraid to be utterly alone and forced to be with ourself and alone with our deepest, darkest fears and pain. [...]

Options and the new days gives me hope. 7's are essentially optimistic. 6's are vigilant.

assuming i actually am a 6w7, i don't think it's really that different. "vigilant" is not a word i easily recognize myself in - more "overthinking". always constantly analyzing everything. options and new days give me hope, also - i love nothing more than a bright morning and a day wide open - but i also fundamentally want structure. i want the new day but i also want an established circle of friends to contact if i feel like hanging out. i want a secure home i can go to if i'm feeling tired. i want a defined purpose in my life and i want a secure system that i can return to or deviate from at will. and speak of deviate - i'm an ace at loopholes. i always liked the funny saying "learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." i agree with that. learn the rules so that when you break them, you can do so consciously, intentionally, and with good reason. and skillfully! i love to see well-handled breaking of rules.

A 7 will reframe, minimize, or ignore or basically escape from a problem if it bothers us too much and the idea of fixing it or dealing with it fully makes us anxious. A 6 may become pre-occupied or anxious about even a potential problem but will figure out how to either pre-emptively neutralize it, safely have it pass it, or be prepared for a battle with all the possible scenarios worked out.

yeah. example - i got an odd call from work today. my boss asked if i was coming in, i told him the time, he said, okay, and hung up. my mind immediately spun into creating many different scenarios of why he might call like that, several of them notably negative. i thought of things i might have done wrong and how i would explain it, reasons they might be upset with me and how i would defend myself, even how to preempt them if they were thinking about firing me. when i got into work, i learned that he was just double-checking because someone lost the schedule.

A 6 is more like the paranoid survivalist hunter who knows the landscape is dotted with enemies and draws a map with and maybe builds a neato long range gun to snipe enemies at a distance then maybe yells for good measure, "F*CK YOU - YOU'RE NOT GONNA GET ME TODAY' before scurrying back to their giant stockpile of cans in a post-apocolyptic world. If that makes sense. Dale Gribble from 'King of the Hill' is a poster child for (hysterically paranoid) 6/5's.

haha! though i have to try to emphasize that i don't feel like it's gloom and doom or anything in my head. yeah it's feisty and defensive sometimes, and reactive often, but i'm a pretty positive person in general, and my overall inner landscape tends to focus on the positive. it's just when i sense that there might be a danger to my sense of happiness and stability that i go into battle mode. i think the above might apply more for 6/5? i definitely fly by the seat of my pants on a regular basis. but yeah, i like cool techno gadgets...
:2ar15:

A 7 feels like 'I make things happen, I can find things, experience things, make things' etc.

A 6 is more 'anything can happen to me, people can bother me, disasters can strike, I must be ready because nothing is gonna get one over on me'

I think those are accurate ^^

i'd immediately associate more with that 7, but i still think i'm a 6. i think it's hard for any ENFP to stay negative, regardless of enneatype :)

i believe that the world is fundamentally good but i'm also afraid of other people, who can hurt me and ostracize me and limit me.

6's worry more about security and also the health of the group they belong to. The group is part of their identity.

A 7's scope is more global.

what do you mean by that? like you don't affiliate, so you're more global?

the way i see it, we're all part of groups - human species, a gender, a nationality, an ethnicity, things in the universe, etc... there are infinte groups. the scope is not lesser just because it is broken up into categories. sometimes i can feel "us vs them" but you can affiliate with the "enemy" on the same grounds. in the office, my coworker and i are affiliates against our boss, but in the city, my boss and i are affiliates against other companies. it's all about levels.

perhaps a 7's scope is more fluid?

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
For me, as 7w6, "funnyness" is kind of centerpiece of my personality. Not that I even consider myself exceptionally hilarious... (Well, LIE. I DO find myself hilarious at times, but not stand up comedienne funny.) But at the same time, when healthy, I'm almost always giggling or finding something ironic, sarcastic, or just plain out of the ordinary to laugh about. It's just an atmosphere of "funny." It's kind of wonky at times, really.

My dad was a 7w6 and he was the same way..... he was an entertainer.... always wanting to be seen, and would do just about anything for a laugh. He was a musician, and he would make up these silly songs and perform them, like "woody woodpecker". He WAS funny, in a self-deprecating way. (Carol Burnette, Buck Owens)

Hmmm... I've heard 7w6 being called "The Entertainer". I can see quite a few reasons for that:

a) Being "the funnyman" in a group is a way of finding a niche within it while maintaining a light-hearted sense of fun;

b) By being goofy and entertaining, you can become okay with the idea of people laughing at you without sensing malice/ill intent from them;

c) Overstimulation and hedonism can be a means of escape from a psyche haunted by anxiety (the "sad clown" syndrome).

Thoughts? :thinking:

Boo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Cripes, I'm relating to both sides! Hahaha could mean I have a six fix because they're a "bundle of contradictions."
I'm usually optimistic unless I'm unhealthy then I freak about everything lol. And OMG I totally relate to 7s humor: it works, people can't argue with me. Most of my tumblr rants were long and depressing or extremely funny and even self-deprecating. Interesting... which is the wing and which is the main :/ I feel too stimulation-oriented and "afraid to be alone with my fears" but I'm also too big of a worry-wart to be a 7.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
seems to be somewhat common for humans. ;)

Good point. haha....... death scares the crap out of a lot of ppl....

I mentioned this initially because it seems that some 6w7's actually become obsessed with fear of death.... as in, reading books about it, having 8 different doctors they visit, etc. (I'm thinking they might be SP 6w7's....) I was trying to distinguish that I don't know if a 6w5 is capable of actively pursuing a fear of death, and of becoming obsessed with it like a 6w7 can.

The sort of action I am speaking of is more than just a fear, but an obsession. It's something they can spend a lot of time thinking about, so they find activities to distract themselves from it, else worrying about death will become the activity lol.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hmmm... I've heard 7w6 being called "The Entertainer". I can see quite a few reasons for that:

a) Being "the funnyman" in a group is a way of finding a niche within it while maintaining a light-hearted sense of fun;

b) By being goofy and entertaining, you can become okay with the idea of people laughing at you without sensing malice/ill intent from them;

c) Overstimulation and hedonism can be a means of escape from a psyche haunted by anxiety (the "sad clown" syndrome).

Argh, I have a thing about being funny and I have no problem running away to another state and flying by the seat of my pants (mommy was the same way before she had kids, I thought it was an ExFP thing). I'm also kind of an escapist, and how.

But I swear I'm not "light" enough to be a seven, I'm just not as socially extroverted or something. Someone told me tonight IRL he thinks I'm definitely extroverted (and the ISxJ I talk to nearly every day tells me this nearly every day, and told me yesterday I was "an explosion of words") ...but I need so much time for me, for me myself and I.

I can't fathom not wanting down time like the OP mentions, I would hate that so bad. I love to just chill and hang out.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Cripes, I'm relating to both sides! Hahaha could mean I have a six fix because they're a "bundle of contradictions."
I'm usually optimistic unless I'm unhealthy then I freak about everything lol. And OMG I totally relate to 7s humor: it works, people can't argue with me. Most of my tumblr rants were long and depressing or extremely funny and even self-deprecating. Interesting... which is the wing and which is the main :/ I feel too stimulation-oriented and "afraid to be alone with my fears" but I'm also too big of a worry-wart to be a 7.

6w7's are humorous and self-deprecating too. The way that you are going about figuring out your enneagram type seems very 6w7..... You like to enlist the opinions of lots of people in doing so. :)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You like to enlist the opinions of lots of people in doing so. :)

Agreed.

This is a trait I also share, as a 6. I want so much feedback.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Agreed.

This is a trait I also share, as a 6. I want so much feedback.

It's interesting in the way that a 6w5 doesn't do that. I have one trusted person I will ask if I am not sure, but for most things, I use resources (books, the net, etc.) and figure it out on my own. Some things that I'm not sure on and feel insecure about, I will drive myself crazy changing it until I just give up and pick something lol......but for the most part, I won't enlist or use other's feedback. 6w5's can be loners, and I lean that way.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
It's interesting in the way that a 6w5 doesn't do that. I have one trusted person I will ask if I am not sure, but for most things, I use resources (books, the net, etc.) and figure it out on my own. Some things that I'm not sure on and feel insecure about, I will drive myself crazy changing it until I just give up and pick something lol......but for the most part, I won't enlist or use other's feedback. 6w5's can be loners, and I lean that way.

It's also how I could tell I was ENFP not INFP...I really want to know what other people think and bounce it off and work it into my schema.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

For me, it's just natural, I don't have a reason or think about it at all.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
For me, it's just natural, I don't have a reason or think about it at all.

Yes, I understand, though I was talking more about unconscious motivations - I didn't mean 6w7s think "Well, time to deaden my anxiety with a bout of external stimulation again! :D"

6w7's are humorous and self-deprecating too.

Rodney Dangerfield, patron saint of self-depreciating comedy, is usually typed as a 6w7. :) Self-deprecation can be a device to avoid harm by indicating you're harmless.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, I understand, though I was talking more about unconscious motivations - I didn't mean 6w7s think "Well, time to deaden my anxiety with a bout of external stimulation again! :D"

Rodney Dangerfield, patron saint of self-depreciating comedy, is usually typed as a 6w7. :) Self-deprecation can be a device to avoid harm by indicating you're harmless.

Well, that's true. But the three listed still seem inapplicable (to me, though probably not everyone.) Reasoning is that I only act that way when healthy. When not as happy I tend to sink into my second 4ness mode and the humor gets a little more on the sarcastic and dark side. (In which case, I suppose the "sad clown" theory" could apply.)

Boo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Anyone know about defense mechanisms? :3 I'm pretty familiar with them but how would someone use identification to avoid pain...?

Boo

MBTI Type
ENFP
And another thing about subtypes -_- I was reading up on Sx/so and how it would apply with 6, and it says that their anxiety is less noticeable...I always thought I was obvious when nervous.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And another thing about subtypes -_- I was reading up on Sx/so and how it would apply with 6, and it says that their anxiety is less noticeable...I always thought I was obvious when nervous.

Maybe it would be even more obvious if you were sp?