• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 8] How do you deal with an aggressive 8 in the work place?

knight

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS6EOCYXDxI&feature=related"]scary 8[/YOUTUBE]

type 8`s personality. you can just feel the intensity coming off of them. I think, I have ran into this personality, Im sure, at work.

The video gave me a good feel about the personality. what Im looking for is effective low to no conflict ways to deal with aggressive 8`s in the work place, as a your Boss or Coworker?(not because Im currently working with one, but I would like to find best ways to work with this personality) the ones that are close to unhealthy

Last edited by a moderator:

rav3n

To be frank, these people don't appear intense at all. Maybe I'm immune as an 8?

knight

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
To be frank, these people don't appear intense at all. Maybe I'm immune as an 8?

I was over dramatizing 8`s but I sincerely do think that they would be the type to run avoid when they are having a bad day

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm, I'm not sure as to how -- I find myself steamrolling people without knowing it (lol only feedback helps).

lol this is so fail I'm a type 8 and I don't know how to go about this xDDD

But in the helen palmer tapes there is mention of 8s and control, and trust -- if they can trust you then you'll be left alone. I think for now it's only 6 weeks into class so I'm in everybody's faces and telling them it's not supposed to be done this way and what not because they just can't be trusted to do things the way I would like it to be.

If I'm angry (don't know about other 8s) I want my point heard. I want to make my point and you can't cut me off xD Once I've made it I'll still want it my way but if you can somehow reason and keep reiterating your stand then it will be taken into consideration.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm, I'm not sure as to how -- I find myself steamrolling people without knowing it (lol only feedback helps).

lol this is so fail I'm a type 8 and I don't know how to go about this xDDD

But in the helen palmer tapes there is mention of 8s and control, and trust -- if they can trust you then you'll be left alone. I think for now it's only 6 weeks into class so I'm in everybody's faces and telling them it's not supposed to be done this way and what not because they just can't be trusted to do things the way I would like it to be.

If I'm angry (don't know about other 8s) I want my point heard. I want to make my point and you can't cut me off xD Once I've made it I'll still want it my way but if you can somehow reason and keep reiterating your stand then it will be taken into consideration.

I relate to this a lot. I check the shit out of people for interrupting me (even if they're much older, much more powerful or in a position of authority).

Thunderbringer

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Simply put, 8's are like bulls. When they get angry, they pretty much lose all of their common sense. The trick is to always remain calm and collected around an 8. If they start screaming and cussing you out, just smile and make a joke out of it. NEVER give in to them or show weakness. If you want to avoid getting into a confrontation with them, just be amiable and agreeable and stay on their good side as much as you can.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Simply put, unhealthy 8's are like bulls. When they get angry, they pretty much lose all of their common sense. The trick is to always remain calm and collected around an 8. If they start screaming and cussing you out, just smile and make a joke out of it. NEVER give in to them or show weakness. If you want to avoid getting into a confrontation with them, just be amiable and agreeable and stay on their good side as much as you can.

fixed :laugh:

knight

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
how much time in conflict with this personality, should I expect to waste?
I`d rather not have to stop and fight over mini details. is there a way
ease through the fighting, even with unhealthy 8`s and move on to the
things that need to get done quickly?

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Hmm...not necessarily about 8's but from what I've read about them and my own experience with 'strong openly ambitious personalities' - you have to deal with 8's head on. They will respect your expertise/qualifications and firmness and they can sense when you will back down or are intimidated. People like this will steamroll you or become real difficult if they see they can roll you. So don't be that person. You are the boss. Act like it. Be respectful but firm like a boss. Have a clear reasoning for why decisions are made, listen to what they are saying not how they are saying it. But at the end of the day, certain decisions are not up for debate and decision making is not a democracy and sometimes sometimes "this is the decision that was made I'm just telling" is all you need. It's true you want to stay on the 'good side' of difficult people but do NOT do it at the expense of common sense, team goals, or other relationships otherwise they will have you in their pocket, not the other way around. Some people have a lot of bark but part of being a boss is getting the job done.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

We usually forget what has happened after we blew our fuse.

But as for the duration of the conflict it depends how long a point he is going to make.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

if you're dealing with a healthy 8, almost none.

knight

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Hmm...not necessarily about 8's but from what I've read about them and my own experience with 'strong openly ambitious personalities' - you have to deal with 8's head on. They will respect your expertise/qualifications and firmness and they can sense when you will back down or are intimidated. People like this will steamroll you or become real difficult if they see they can roll you. So don't be that person. You are the boss. Act like it. Be respectful but firm like a boss. Have a clear reasoning for why decisions are made, listen to what they are saying not how they are saying it. But at the end of the day, certain decisions are not up for debate and decision making is not a democracy and sometimes sometimes "this is the decision that was made I'm just telling" is all you need. It's true you want to stay on the 'good side' of difficult people but do NOT do it at the expense of common sense, team goals, or other relationships otherwise they will have you in their pocket, not the other way around. Some people have a lot of bark but part of being a boss is getting the job done.
I like this, thank you czecze :)

Thunderbringer

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
if you're dealing with a healthy 8, almost none.

You know, I don't know how common you think a healthy type is, but they're pretty rare, especially if you're going with the Riso-Hudson descriptions (in that case, they're a pipe dream). The majority of people tend to straddle in the average range and cross over into the healthy range when they're really happy or into the unhealthy range when stressed out.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
run.

:D
just kidding.

i dunno though. i feel like 8-6 is usually a bad combo. 8 likes to push and 6 hates being pushed. i have no desire to control anyone until they get up in my face. so it kind of works out badly :/

i don't feel like those 8s in the video are intense, though, they all seem like calm spiritual types.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
8 is unpopular in my field. When I do need to talk to (the only clear 8) in my workplace, I sense a communication barrier because everything needs to be brief and concise, like an unsaid rule. Socially, I'm fine with most people's 8ness.

rav3n

The easiest way to avoid conflict is to understand that being questioned or challenged isn't necessarily a form of conflict.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The easiest way to avoid conflict is to understand that being questioned or challenged isn't necessarily a form of conflict.

Stop questioning my avoidance!!! Stop fighting with me! Wahh!

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

yeah, that's true.

i think my problem with interacting with 8s is that i can feel their guard and that puts me on guard. so i have to drop my own guard to not escalate things - like you said, not interpreting challenge as conflict. but that's hard.

:laugh: rhyme

rav3n

yeah, that's true.

i think my problem with interacting with 8s is that i can feel their guard and that puts me on guard. so i have to drop my own guard to not escalate things - like you said, not interpreting challenge as conflict. but that's hard.

:laugh: rhyme
Ha ha...poet and didn't know it!

No need to drop your guard and be wide open with an 8 in the workplace. If anything, I'd recommend against dropping your guard since motivations lean towards "for the good of the company and the 8" or some such combination. Just respond in as succinct and informative manner as possible without dropping your guard and you'll be fine. :)

Any advice beyond this is difficult and where MBTI might help more than the enmasse 8's. ESTJ's are prone to micromanage. Many ENTJs hate to micromanage and if we've gotten to that level, it means we're seriously doubting your competence and you're probably going to get fired very soon.

There's no doubt it takes two to tango but since the 8's everyone's talking about aren't here to amend or defend their behaviours, I can't suggest anything to them.