• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 4] 4w5 or 4w3?

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hi, I've never been able to determine if I'm a 4w5 or a 4w3. All the description I could find were rather vague... If anyone would be kind enough to relate their knowledge of both types to help me determine my own, I'd greatly appreciate it.

If you need more information about me to help, I'd be happy to provide it. Also, do't be shy if you'd rather redirect me to another source or a prior thread I'm not aware of. i won't be at all offended.

Thank you for your time and your help!

I'm an ENFP, 4w?-7w6-8w9 as far as I know.

Assailant

MBTI Type
XYZ
First, how sure are you over being a Type 4?

Other than that, some key things to distinguish are:
Wing 5 is learning towards more of being more (highly) introverted, and that a wing 4 would somewhat clash with you being a core 4.
Wing 3 is learning towards of having extroverted behaviour.

Each type has a maladaptive cognitive schema -- The 4's maladaptive cognitive schema is envy. Do you feel that deceit in order for success is you (maladaptive cognitive schema of 3), or avarice (maladaptive cognitive schema of 5) of information?

From your knowledge, how do you relate to 4w3? To 4w5? What do you think would be the main differences?

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
4w3s seem over dramatic to me, 4w5s seem too cold at times? 4w3s seem less cerebral than 4w5s, and some say they're more manipulative. I feel like I relate to both or to neither, if that makes sense. I'm pretty sure I'm a 4... it seems like the best fit...

Someone told me they thought 4w3s were more often sx/so or so/sx, while 4w5s were more often sp/so or so/sp. I'm sx/sp :shrug:

I feel envy over both success and knowledge, equally as far as I can tell. More over... grace? talent? artfulness? I'm about equal on the introverted/extroverted level. Cerebral but also talkative and attention is my guilty pleasure.

Fan.of.Devin

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
One thing I've kind of noticed, is that superficially, 4w5s seem to be more prone to an apathetic/enigmatic "fuck you" attitude regarding their appearance and mannerisms, and may seek attention (perhaps consciously or unconsciously) through defying norms and sticking out, perhaps along the same lines as 5w4s in that regard, whereas 4w3s are more prone to being on the cutting edge of fashionability and trendyness, with a greater desire to be seen as explicitly attractive/desireable, rather than to just stick out, as the 4w5 may seek...

Just an observation, though, and from a small sample size.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
4w3's are more motivated towards being successful in order to gain the love that they feel they are missing out on. They tend to show off what they have (special talents, emotions, etc.) in order to get the love and belongingness they desire.

4w5's on the other hand, will cultivate their own personal interests in order to create a sort of fantasy world to feel loved and wanted. Under stress, they will seem cold and mentally scattered.

Both types can be cerebral, but 4w3's will tend to actively seek recognition for their unique abilities. As a 4w5, even I desire success and knowledge. The thing is, I find that I tend to actively seek knowledge more than success.... it's not that I don't want it, just I don't like to impose myself upon people. But I don't mind attention though, as long as it isn't TOO much.

If you feel deep inside your heart that you connect the most with the 4w5 sx/sp description, then it is very likely your type.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
One thing I've kind of noticed, is that superficially, 4w5s seem to be more prone to an apathetic/enigmatic "fuck you" attitude regarding their appearance and mannerisms, and may seek attention (perhaps consciously or unconsciously) through defying norms and sticking out, perhaps along the same lines as 5w4s in that regard, whereas 4w3s are more prone to being on the cutting edge of fashionability and trendyness, with a greater desire to be seen as explicitly attractive/desireable, rather than to just stick out, as the 4w5 may seek...

Just an observation, though, and from a small sample size.

Yes, you're correct.

Fan.of.Devin is onto something...
You may notice a 4w5 buck the trendiness, or totally invent their own sense of style that works for them. Most of us are kind of fashion throwbacks. Even if it isn't in appearance and clothing tastes, it can be music and interests and just the overall mindset.

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hmm... interesting.

I might be leaning toward 4w3 then, with the desire to be attractive while standing out... yet I still feel a connection with 4w5, because i sometimes adopt views simply because they go against the norm.

Frustrating. I feel like I spend half my time as a 4w3, half as a 4w5. I've tested as both by the way.

I'll look at trends, plan on embracing a whole new trendy look, then decide it's too cliche, everyone wears that, then decide I don't really care anyway, repeat, repeat, repeat.