• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 5] What kind of music are intp 5w4s in to?( INTP 5w4)

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
I'm into most any style. I even find people who sing "off key" intriguing.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It seems like most 5s I see are into something that requires a keyboard. Personally I love rock! More specifically I love grunge and classic rock. What kind of music are you guys into? Is the keyboard fetish a 5w6 fascination, or are most Intps into it? [edited for spelling - Mal]

I was raised on pop 70s music. I tended to like soft rock better, but I liked some hard rock too. The radio played a lot of Beatles which I liked, and at the time I enjoyed the older 50s music which came on occasionally. I don't care for 50s music anymore as my tastes have changed over the decades. My tastes back then were very eclectic. I liked listening to the keyboard, or piano. I loved Elton John, and two years ago I was able to see him in concert for the first time.

As I grew older I went through various phases. A Beatles phase, Elvis phase, Stones phase, Simon and Garfunkel phase, ELO phase. Billy Joel was great on the piano keyboard. But then Chicago was also a great eclectic band which is still around. I saw them in concert about 10 years ago. Steely Dan was great for a while. Then I listened to classical and found Beethoven to be my favorite.

The 1980s saw a lot of weird experimental music, some of which I liked. In the 2000s I finally caught up with 90s Alternative. Everything through the year 2006 or 2007 I enjoy, but nowadays it seems that Rock music is going down the tubes.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Tho this may be the NeTi variant :) (Be careful, I have already lost a headset on that song)

Phoenix

MBTI Type
XNTX
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am a keyboardist and compose my own stuff. The only way you'll be able to relate 5w6 vs 5w4 is that a 5w6 is more likely than a 5w4 to follow convention - but still have more of an exploratory/experimental touch to their music, whereas a 5w4 would more likely spend more time exploring their feelings as they are not as detached from them.

A high-functioning 5w4's music could even resemble that of a 4 in that it will have a hint of surrealism combined with an authentic, recognizable signature.

I prefer the more intense kind of music - such as dark/death metal, alternative. Heavy guitars, growling really get me going. The more intense, esoteric, dark and surreal the better. I'll provide some examples:

On a relatively lighter side:

As for keyboards, I've always had a thing for Enigma and Schiller came much later.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I consider myself more of a 5w6 but have a strong 4 streak at times.

I listen to a wide variety of music. Not much rap or country but occasionally I'll find something I enjoy here.

Right now, mostly classic rock, musical soundtracks, but also weird, off-beat electronic music like Aphex Twin or Brian Eno. :)
I also like videogame music but that's just the nerd in me.

I also like musicians such as Tori Amos, Kate Bush and Bjork. I don't know how to describe their style, but other than being unique, with an interesting voice and kinda mysterious. I think they might be on the 5/4 line?

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I like alternative rock: the talking heads, pixies, arcade fire, sebadoh, hole, ludella black
Proto-punk: velvet underground, stooges, garage rock
Punk and hardcore: X, bad brains, minor threat, ram ones, clash, the vibrators
Post punk, glam and new wave: joy division, new order, David Bowie, roxy music,
electronica: beach house, the knife, daft punk

I like vocalists that seem raw and gritty as opposed to polished. Generally I like voice texture/vamping, but don't pay so much attention to lyrics. My favorite lyrics are straight forward.

Every so often I'm in the mood for some old school mowtown, surf rock, 60s folk, gangsta rap. I can also get in the mood for some pop or dance rap.

Don't really like the "brighter" sounding techno, dubstep or pop metal (korn, slip knot, evanescence)

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I consider myself more of a 5w6 but have a strong 4 streak at times.

I listen to a wide variety of music. Not much rap or country but occasionally I'll find something I enjoy here.

Right now, mostly classic rock, musical soundtracks, but also weird, off-beat electronic music like Aphex Twin or Brian Eno. :)
I also like videogame music but that's just the nerd in me.

I also like musicians such as Tori Amos, Kate Bush and Bjork. I don't know how to describe their style, but other than being unique, with an interesting voice and kinda mysterious. I think they might be on the 5/4 line?

Lot's of good picks.

I think tori and Kate are usually described as 70s style singer songwritwers. The three are all vocally driven sort of ethereal idiosyncratic singers. Just got into Kate bush myself. Really like wuthering heights

nicothyun

MBTI Type
INtP
Enneagram
5w4
I listen to anything that intrigues me.

I like dream pop, jazz, blues, classical music, 90s rock, rock, acoustic covers (...)
E.g. Coco Rosie, Imany, Frank Sinatra, Miles Davis, U2, The Beatles, Eminem, Kanye West, Gorillaz, Laura Jansen, Johnny Cash, She & Him, Damien Rice

But as with most INTPS that has commentated, ya I can't really take metal. I don't know, it's too noisy and I would prefer music that are soothing or calming. I mean it is already a chaos in my head, I don't want more chaos.

nortia

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
Let me preface this by saying this is just the tip of the iceberg, but you'll get the gist of my taste. And yes, some genres over lap. I don't need a lecture from music snobs. :thumbup:

alternative rock
(radiohead)

blues rock
(classic - Cream, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Allman Brothers; new - The White Stripes, The Black Keys, Jack White)

country funk
(cherokee)

electronic/a
(blackbird blackbird, apparat, tycho, trentemoller, chromatics, air, memory tapes, purity ring, burial, how to dress well)

folk/folk-rock
(a.a. bondy, nick drake, laura marling)

garage rock
(the kills)

gothic rock
(the cure)

grunge
(nirvana, pearl jam)

heavy metal
(black sabbath)

indie
(the radio department, zoo animal, angus and julia stone, cat power, the raveonettes, the horrors, grimes, the xx, mac demarco, elliot smith, cloud nothings, the antlers, deerhunter, grizzly bear, sparklehorse, polica, cold specks)

industrial
(nine inch nails)

new wave
(new order, freur)

post-dubstep
(james blake)

post-punk
(joy division)

progressive rock
(the mothers of invention)

psychedelic rock
(the doors, the zombies, pink floyd, tame impala)

rock
(queen, link wray)

singer/songwriter
(this list is way too long so I won't even bother)

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think type has anything to do with music preference, just sayin'.

With that said, I do think we look for music that matches our personal energy levels which is why I think I'm primarily drawn towards dark and deeply intense music, often emotional in some way. To me melody matters the most though, genre far less. It's all about the atmosphere and the emotional tone the music is capable of conveying. I like it if it fits my mood and temperament, otherwise not. For this reason I've found myself drawn to underground music the most, and I prefer melodic death metal as a genre although I can listen to any genre pretty much as long as it fits my mood. I've found a general and quite strong connection between the music I like the types of the artists whose music I like. I for example really enjoy Marilyn Manson and I think this is because we share tritype. I also like Nine Inch Nails (Trent's a 5w4), A Perfect Circle (Maynard's either typed as 5w4 or 8w7) and so on. I doubt it's a coincidence.

Anyway, I just mostly like it darkly intense with a strong but simple melody. Currently I'm completely addicted to Daylight Dies:

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Let me preface whatever I'm going to go on about by saying I own records, boy do I own them. Probably a stuckup prick even.

Just mvoed to town and will say it's a strange sensation whenever the guy down the road flexes his financial muscle, acquiring new / repress stuff in bulk. Slideout drawers weren't a bad idea; easy on the back, but something feels out of place about his shop, probably the predictability and donna summer overstock and lack of any new age section.

Are you aware that Florida banned sex with animals in 2011, LeaT

SoraMayhem

defying your expectations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

INFP 5w4 should be close enough. I'm shocked there aren't any mentions of They Might Be Giants, I feel like 5w4/4w5s, and Ne-users in particular would be drawn to them.

Trouble

MBTI Type
INFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The national, tindersticks, Radiohead, bob Schneider (king pancho), JUNIP, Cold War kids, nick Drake, John Lennon, Eels, Dave Matthews (don't judge), pink Floyd, patti griffin, Bon iver, sigur ros, Miley (judge)

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As a 5w6 sheeple, I listen to Justin Bieber, sometimes with Taylor Swift thrown in. Actually, I mainly do this for the sole purpose of pushing interesting music off the radio.

Sometimes I put something more folky and sensitive on, like Bob Dylan, but that's only to trick women into sleeping with me.