• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 8] ENFP Type 8

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hi!

I just found out that I'm an ENFP type 8 instead of an INFP type 4. Would anyone care to provide some insight into how ENFP and type 8 interact within a personality? I'd really appreciate it!

Thank you for your time! :)

*First thread ever, so excited!*

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
with pleasure
ENFP 8s are all about doing their thing. we're not as harsh as your archtypical ExTx 8, but we can sometimes we can come across too strongly without realizing it. ENFP 8s tend to make good leaders and the NF and 8 tend to balance themselves out in this regard. we tend to be confident and charismatic and, as such, tend to have a lot of enemies compared the majority of our more docile NF brethren. we're not usually easy to offend but a few things really piss us off including
1) people who talk down to us
2) people who try to force their preferences on us
3) people who restrict our freedom or try to get in our way
4) people who mess with our friends or are mean to small children

a few examples of people I think are ENFP 8s are

1) Tess Mattisson
2) Betty White
3) Chalie Boy
4) Esmerelda from the Hunchback of Notre Dame

another great example of an ENFP 8 is Crim from .hack//sign, but I can't find any clips of him :(

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
we're also less sensitive to other people's opinions than other NF types. ENFP 8s are willing to get their hands a little dirtier to get what they want as well and I would assume a lot of them mistype as ENTP and ENTJ. 8w7s are a little more confrontational, silly and energetic while 8w9s are more subdued and not as blatantly 8-ish. (compare for example Frank Sinatra and Charlton Heston). I like to think we're pretty balanced and can have the best of both worlds if we're healthy. :yes:

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thank you!

That clarifies things a lot.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's not specific to the combination, but I thought this was good.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MrGKqlh7ro"]8 Video[/YOUTUBE]

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thank you for all your input! I guess my biggest issue is I always thought of type eights as insensitive biker thugs and ENFPs as smiley, clever flower children. But I'm learning to recognize that both are more, and both are at work within my personality... ENFP 8s = Intellectual warriors with a sense of humor who may or may not own motorcycles? :)

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
look at mmmhmm

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thank you for all your input! I guess my biggest issue is I always thought of type eights as insensitive biker thugs and ENFPs as smiley, clever flower children. But I'm learning to recognize that both are more, and both are at work within my personality... ENFP 8s = Intellectual warriors with a sense of humor who may or may not own motorcycles? :)

I felt this way too. when I first read the description of type 8 I didn't identify at all with it at first value, but at it's essence, the 8 is really a rugged individualist who wanted to be left the fuck alone to do their thing. our main motivation is power and the definition of power is influence and choice. so essentially, the 8s main motivation is freedom and autonomy while our biggest fear is that of someone controlling us. 8s come off as much more aggressive than we actually are because we're very assertive, refuse to loose (in the economic sense of the word) and aren't afraid to say crazy things with a lot of guts and personality behind it. 8s are dangerous, aggressive and controlling only when they see something as a threat, in which case they seek to eliminate it at all costs. most of our negative perception in the eyes of other people comes from the fact that we are willing to do a LOT to get what we want, and society frowns upon this, often misdiagnosing it as afraid, insecure, evil or perfectionistic.
PS: a lot of misconceptions about the 8 come from confusing them with unhealthy counterphobic 6s.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i'm tritype 8-7-2 sx/so

the core thing for me is the need to be in control, no matter what.
the worse thing that could ever happen is for someone unworthy
to have control over me and having to be dependent on somebody
else.

control for me is not about forcing people. but believing what is right,
championing it with the capability to also have others listen and make
sense of it no matter what walk of life they come from. the thrill of
standing up in front of a room of people and given 45 minutes to tell
them a story: so that midway through what i am saying, they have
already decided that they want to walk my way...before i even have
to ask them to consider my methods. that's what makes me come alive.

my 8 and enfp combination is probably best illustrated at work.
work is a huge part of my life, because is a constant and reliable
source for endless possibilities. i love love love potential more
than anything else. coming up with ideas and nurturing it and
seeing it materialise is just so damn satisfying.

because i'm emotionally driven, i have to be very diligent with
keeping my emotions in check. my surpressed emotions are more
of the rage / anger variety. i notice a lot of enfps proud of their little
tantrums, this concept is highly alien to me in the work arena. i just
think it's fucking disrespectful to other people if your behaviour affects
other people negatively, impacting the quality of the outcome the group
is working towards. i see it as something very short sighted and lacking
in leadership quality, of which aren't really the components that nurture
the quality of control.

the resistance to external control can be viewed as elitism, because i'm
very proud of my own capabilities, but i also have tangible and third party
/ industry standard accolades to back up my claims ie. making industry
standard policies (opposed to just throwing out random numbers pulled
out of my ass and expecting people to be dazzled by things pulled out
of the air) and that gets me pretty cocky sometimes especially when
i'm in a mischievous mood to stir up drama with people i've already
passed judgement on and watch them cry at their own incompetence.

i see being enfp and a type 8 manifest in me as a pirate of the
jack sparrow variety. sometimes you just need to yarr in between
the swaggering.

the only other type 8 enfp i can recall off the top of my head on this
forum is kyuuei.

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hmm...

It's hard to see myself as an 8 because I'm friends with an IxTJ 8 and we have really different views on many things and often don't get along. =/ Like, she sounds a lot like the 8 in the video Highlander posted. I don't really see myself that way. She's this go-getter who doesn't care what anyone thinks and thinks you should always be prepared and who "wouldn't mind servin' a couple tours". And I... talk to fairies. I mean, I'd be a lot more out there if I hadn't been raised by SJs, but I'm definitely not that practical or confident or capable. I do know that other people see me a lot differently. They see my anger as frightening, where i always feel the urge to laugh or hit someone if they're in temper. Most people see me as far more confidant then I am, like way more.

Honestly, no Enneagram type seems to fit. I've been typed as a 4, a 7, and an 8. 8 seems more wrong by the second, 7 is outlandish, and 4 is more the kind of scene I like than who I actually am, I see that now. So... I now have no idea what type I am =/ At first everything seemed to make sense because... I've been furious lately. And I'm being stubborn on an issue. That seemed 8-ish to me. But, on a regular basis... nothing fits.

Ugh, I'm more confused than ever. I'm starting to think maybe the Enneagram system is too constraining. Maybe nothing fits because I don't fit into one of ten categories. When you think about it it is a bit narrow... Idk, I've just lost all my faith in this system.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
i'm tritype 8-7-2 sx/so...

I couldn't write anything she's said better myself. Everytime I attempted to, she'd covered one of the bases I started writing on, so I won't be repetitive. If you relate to a majority of this, your chances of being an ENFP type 8 are pretty high.

4) Esmerelda from the Hunchback of Notre Dame

I actually find this example to be a very good one.

It's not specific to the combination, but I thought this was good.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MrGKqlh7ro"]8 Video[/YOUTUBE]

Also well-put example to base off of.

She's this go-getter who doesn't care what anyone thinks and thinks you should always be prepared and who "wouldn't mind servin' a couple tours". And I... talk to fairies. I mean, I'd be a lot more out there if I hadn't been raised by SJs, but I'm definitely not that practical or confident or capable.

I don't really see myself that way.

Immediately, my first reaction is "If you dont see yourself as the go-getter, confident type, you're probably not an 8."

That seemed 8-ish to me. But, on a regular basis... nothing fits. Idk, I've just lost all my faith in this system.

When it comes to MBTI and Enneagram.. The only thing that fit me 100% was the type 8 description. As far as I know, and from the people I have talked to, it seemed that type 8 was an instant click with others as well. I waivered on MBTI, confused on it.. but I knew for certain I was type 8 when I read it. Like someone had written a description about my motivations in life, and I needed to check my window for signs of a stalker. :laugh:

My instinct is that you're not a type 8 at all.. but I don't think you should give up quite yet. Enneagram is about what moves you and shapes you.. MBTI is about giving others hints on how to interact with you. This is the way I've come to understand the systems.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm...

It's hard to see myself as an 8 because I'm friends with an IxTJ 8 and we have really different views on many things and often don't get along. =/ Like, she sounds a lot like the 8 in the video Highlander posted. I don't really see myself that way. She's this go-getter who doesn't care what anyone thinks and thinks you should always be prepared and who "wouldn't mind servin' a couple tours". And I... talk to fairies. I mean, I'd be a lot more out there if I hadn't been raised by SJs, but I'm definitely not that practical or confident or capable. I do know that other people see me a lot differently. They see my anger as frightening, where i always feel the urge to laugh or hit someone if they're in temper. Most people see me as far more confidant then I am, like way more.

Honestly, no Enneagram type seems to fit. I've been typed as a 4, a 7, and an 8. 8 seems more wrong by the second, 7 is outlandish, and 4 is more the kind of scene I like than who I actually am, I see that now. So... I now have no idea what type I am =/ At first everything seemed to make sense because... I've been furious lately. And I'm being stubborn on an issue. That seemed 8-ish to me. But, on a regular basis... nothing fits.

Ugh, I'm more confused than ever. I'm starting to think maybe the Enneagram system is too constraining. Maybe nothing fits because I don't fit into one of ten categories. When you think about it it is a bit narrow... Idk, I've just lost all my faith in this system.

you sound a lot like me :yes: I'm struggling between 8 and 7 currently too and also confused myself for an INFP (which doesn't sound like a mistake either a 7 or an 8 would make lol). perhaps 4, 7 and 8 are really your tritype numbers (it's common to mistype as another number in one's tritype). 4, 7 and 8 are all eccentric, freedom seeking types who will probably have at least some disdain for authority and contempt for anyone who interrupts them from doing what they enjoy

PS: perhaps Mulan is another ENFP 8

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
you sound a lot like me :yes: I'm struggling between 8 and 7 currently too and also confused myself for an INFP (which doesn't sound like a mistake either a 7 or an 8 would make lol). perhaps 4, 7 and 8 are really your tritype numbers (it's common to mistype as another number in one's tritype). 4, 7 and 8 are all eccentric, freedom seeking types who will probably have at least some disdain for authority and contempt for anyone who interrupts them from doing what they enjoy

PS: perhaps Mulan is another ENFP 8

That makes much more sense :yes: Thank you!

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!

when i started doing the tests, i'd come out as a 7 a lot.
but i knew i wasn't a seven. the fears and motivations
just didn't line up.

i knew i wasn't a seven because i don't fear pain, pain
actually brings humility to my cocky ass. makes me shutdown
and so i can internalize a bit. being very, very extraverted,
it's a strange mode to be in for me. but doesn't mean i fear
it. i was only like a seven in certain aspects: forward moving,
excited about what's next.

then i thought i was a 2 for the longest time, but i realised that
because i'm emotionally driven, the emotional manipulation i used
was just another form of control (and it wasn't about the other person).
which led me to re-read up on 8. because the first time i read about it,
i took it at too much face value. "i'm tiny and delicate, how can i possibly
be 8?" was my initial frame of thought.

and it just kinda fell in its place once i stripped away the external variables /
behaviour execution and started looking at it as general ideas. i dislike
weakness, and i dislike those that champion weakness so they can feel
as if they have a false sense of power over the weaker ones. above all
i dislike those that just self-victimize without ever considering to be
self-assertive so they can fall out of their destructive patterns.

the best way to really find out is to not rely on the tests, but use
it as guideline as where to begin exploring. read up, cross reference
different sources, there's so many schools of thoughts regarding the
enneagram, and it also helps to jot down some of your own fears,
and what your goals are, basically the more informed you are about
your own basic desires and fears it's easier to pinpoint what types align
with that so that you can explore in depth. just takes some effort.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Have you ever looked into counterphobic 6? (That's key, as the other type of 6 is "phobic" - completely different.)

Many counterphobic 6's mistype as 8.

somniferous

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I used to type myself as this because I always thought I had an "animalistic" energy and I used to be quite quick to anger. It's not confusing or even far-fetched, that Ne-Te can do some wonders child.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Oh, sure, that makes a lot of sense becau-Uwhaaaaaat!?

Huh. Can't say I have ever heard of this being a thing.

But I'm not the type to tell others who they are/aren't so,cool. You do you.