• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 7] Having doubts about my enneatype again =(

Elfboy revisted

• 8w9

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • 9w8

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2w3

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 2w1

• 4w3

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • 3w2

• 3w4

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is there anything that distinctively makes you say, "Not 9"? Specifically, "Not 9w8"?

To me, you kind of give off the same sort of vibes that BlackCat does.

9 is a possibility, but I feel much too intense and opinionated to be a 9. I do not share any of the 9's natural weaknesses as I do with the 1w9
Edit: that and I don't have an ounce of either 6 or 3 in me. although, if I were a 9 and had both wings at relatively high strength, I'm sure I would be much assertive than your typical 9

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
you dont seem 1 AT ALL.

I didn't think so either, but that because I thought all 1s were the SJ detail oriented perfectionist types. INFP, ENFP and INTJ 1s are quite different. we're the more idealistic branch of the 1 that sets out to make things "ideal" rather than perfect. another major difference is that SJ 1s love rules and Intuitive 1s abhore them and are defiant of rules that go against their beliefs. but under stress, it becomes more clear that I am type 1. perhaps a description of myself freshman year of high school would help
- self rightious
- preachy
- hypocritical
- serious
- malignent
- close minded
- dogmatic
- authoritarian
- critical
- angry (but not particularly aggressive like an 8)
- condescending
- easily offended

I had to work throughout high school to rid myself of these characteristics, but I didn't reach being really healthy until senior year (pretty impressive for having no knowledge of enneagram at the time if I do say so :yes: ). even know though, I'm extremely picky and have no tolerance for anything that doesn't meet my standards (my parents hate this about me lol). when insulted, I can become quite condescending and self righteous and usually become serious and overly formal. all this being said, I'm much more goofy and 7-ish now (relaxed, adventurous, bubbly). being that I also score pretty high on 2 and have a strong 9 wing, I can easily relate to a healthy 8 Esmerelda or Charlton Heston.

it's also confusing because of the tremendous amount of overlap between 8s and 1s
- extreme charisma
- confident
- natural leaders
- instinctual/gut triad
- generally have high self esteem
- merciless when stressed
- willing to go extremely far to get what they want
- disagreeable "my way or the highway"

Chloe

I can tell when someone is 1 even if ENFP. You are not. You dont even like rules. You are too lose Even for P 1

Last edited:

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I'd say that N Ones are not so much averse to external rules as less aligned with them. The common thread with Ones is that they are strict with others and with themselves, and follow their own rules with passion and devotion, unless, of course, they are unhealthy, in which case their fault-finding becomes templar-ish condemnation and a prideful sense of purity ("I am the only one who knows what should be done, not those slothful orangutans!").

It should be noted that every type has a "vulnerable" area - while Eights become insecure when they feel powerless and weak, Ones feel insecure when they fail to meet their standards. This self-hatred can be quite passionate, and they may overcompensate by increasing their criticism of others.

Also, not all SJ Ones adhere strictly by others' rules, though they tend to use those as a sort of "base" for creating their "code". They also have, when healthy, a keen sense of "what is good for their community", becoming judges, politicians, prosecutors and humanitarians.

Another tip: since you believe sp is your main subtype, it may be worthwhile to compare sp Ones and sp Eights. I'm not sure where you can find those profiles, though...

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can tell when someone is 1 even if ENFP. You are not. You dont even like rules. You are too lose Even for P 1

well, ENFPs makes being not loose very hard no matter what enneatype one is. I'm also more loose than I used to be because of hundreds of hours of self reflection. in fact, if I took an mbti test freshman year of high school, it would probably come out ISTJ or ESTJ. my looseness is natural, but not all of it. I a can relate to healthy 8s, healthy 9s, healthy 7s and even healthy 4s, but I have experienced every level of type 1 clear down to level 9 where I was literally searching on the internet hours a day for courses on how to kill people I deemed to be corrupt and amoral. it was not for the 8-ish motive of power, but the 1-ish motive of "justice". I was only able to overcome this by learning to let go and saying "you don't have to save the world. it's not your problem. just have fun and let it collapse if it wants to"
even to this day though I struggle with condescension, overt formality, and feelings of self righteousness and moral superiority. i am also more easily offended by 1-ish things like someone insulting my integrity or failing to meet my standards. I don't know if I'm a 1, but after looking into a few 1w9 characters with Intuitive preferences, I vibe with their "energy" much more than the more rough, aggressive energy of the 8.

I may not be a 1, but I find it strange that I've never really struggled with many of the typical 8 issues (aggression, self control, intimidating others etc). the same goes for types 9 and 7

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
well, ENFPs makes being not loose very hard no matter what enneatype one is. I'm also more loose than I used to be because of hundreds of hours of self reflection. in fact, if I took an mbti test freshman year of high school, it would probably come out ISTJ or ESTJ. my looseness is natural, but not all of it. I a can relate to healthy 8s, healthy 9s, healthy 7s and even healthy 4s, but I have experienced every level of type 1 clear down to level 9 where I was literally searching on the internet hours a day for courses on how to kill people I deemed to be corrupt and amoral. it was not for the 8-ish motive of power, but the 1-ish motive of "justice". I was only able to overcome this by learning to let go and saying "you don't have to save the world. it's not your problem. just have fun and let it collapse if it wants to"
even to this day though I struggle with condescension, overt formality, and feelings of self righteousness and moral superiority. i am also more easily offended by 1-ish things like someone insulting my integrity or failing to meet my standards. I don't know if I'm a 1, but after looking into a few 1w9 characters with Intuitive preferences, I vibe with their "energy" much more than the more rough, aggressive energy of the 8.

I may not be a 1, but I find it strange that I've never really struggled with many of the typical 8 issues (aggression, self control, intimidating others etc). the same goes for types 9 and 7

That's... dark. :shock:

*ahem* Anyway, it's good to remember that, while Ones can be quite cerebral, they are firmly lodged in the Gut/Body triad - their passion is undeniable, even though they usually frame it as constructive criticism ("I'm not angry, I'm just trying to do it right!"). This, of course, makes Ones passionate advocates full of stamina when healthy, instead of detached analysts like Fives (Dr. Spock being a prime example).

Thunderbringer

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
I have to agree with Chloe. I don't get any sort of 1 vibe from the way you post. I think you may either be a 4 or 7 with a strong connection to 1.

B

brainheart

No one knows who anyone's type is on here. It's impossible to tell, really. (eg, you folks are looking at a person who's been on mood stabilizers for four years... gives a nine vibe when your moods are pharmaceutically regulated, let me tell ya...)You have to look at the motivations and see which one has been the dominant one in your life. That's how it is...

I recommend this:http://personalitycafe.com/announcements/49401-personalitycafe-enneagram-quiz-new.html

And I recommend you read the Freudian article it is linked to. I think they're helpful.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No one knows who anyone's type is on here. It's impossible to tell, really. (eg, you folks are looking at a person who's been on mood stabilizers for four years... gives a nine vibe when your moods are pharmaceutically regulated, let me tell ya...)You have to look at the motivations and see which one has been the dominant one in your life. That's how it is...

I recommend this:http://personalitycafe.com/announcements/49401-personalitycafe-enneagram-quiz-new.html

And I recommend you read the Freudian article it is linked to. I think they're helpful.

thankyou for the link, but I don't generally find questionnaires that helpful. for instance, when I take an MBTI questionnaire I usually come up INTJ or INTP and enneagram I usually come out as 9 or 3 (this test I came out 6)

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Elfboy always remember option 10 when it comes to the enneagram... that it doesn't really exist.

I gave up on the enneagram because as far as I can tell I'm a 50/50 hybrid of an 8 and 5. I was into the enneagram a lot but I couldn't explain how I fit into the system so I have since dismissed it. I still like to think about it every now and then as a guily pleasure but I know not to take it seriously and even regularly question if still thinking about it is hindering my perception of reality.

Also fuck being an 8, everyone should try to take lessons from the healthy versions of each type and one of the best lessons from an 8s perspective is to be true to yourself, even if that truth hurts, cos you will come out stronger when that pain subsides. Noone is defined by a number and the only thing that matters, regardless of your type, is are you capable. A person can be jacked up as much as they want, regardless of type, but if they don't strive for truth, I can train a child to turn them against themselves and become irrelevant. Surely you know you're not an 8...

B

brainheart

thankyou for the link, but I don't generally find questionnaires that helpful. for instance, when I take an MBTI questionnaire I usually come up INTJ or INTP and enneagram I usually come out as 9 or 3 (this test I came out 6)
What did it say your tritype was? And did you read the freudian article I suggested?

B

brainheart

Elfboy always remember option 10 when it comes to the enneagram... that it doesn't really exist.

I gave up on the enneagram because as far as I can tell I'm a 50/50 hybrid of an 8 and 5. I was into the enneagram a lot but I couldn't explain how I fit into the system so I have since dismissed it. I still like to think about it every now and then as a guily pleasure but I know not to take it seriously and even regularly question if still thinking about it is hindering my perception of reality.

Also fuck being an 8, everyone should try to take lessons from the healthy versions of each type and one of the best lessons from an 8s perspective is to be true to yourself, even if that truth hurts, cos you will come out stronger when that pain subsides. Noone is defined by a number and the only thing that matters, regardless of your type, is are you capable. A person can be jacked up as much as they want, regardless of type, but if they don't strive for truth, I can train a child to turn them against themselves and become irrelevant. Surely you know you're not an 8...

Well yeah, your tritype is probably 5-8-?
But yeah, way too much seems to be riding on the type here...

VagrantFarce

No one adopts one attitude all of the time, people jump between them for all sorts of reasons - and 5s and 8s are pretty much connected at the hip.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Back on topic, I dunno if I see you as a One, Elfboy... :thinking: Do you often act as a "moralist"? As an ENFP, your "helping" function would be Fi, which, combined with Enneatype One, could make you one of those "moral compass" kind of guys... Do you relate to that?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Both Ones and Eights are in the Instinctive Triad, both have strong wills, both are action-oriented, and both have strong notions about how to do things. However, Ones try to convince others to do the right thing (as they see it) from the standpoint of a moral imperative–because it is the right thing to do. They try to logically convince the other of the soundness of their views, but become irritated and less logical when others resists their reasoning. Eights, on the other hand, rely on their own self-confidence, and attempt to sway others by their gutsy convictions and sheer personal charisma. ("I don't know if it's the right way, but it's my way.") Ones try to convert those who resist them: Eights try to power through them.

The greatest misunderstanding between these two types involves their concern with justice, although the nature of their sense of justice can be quite different. Ones hold justice as an extremely important value–many judges, attorneys, advocates, and criminal prosecutors actually are Ones. Ones think a great deal about issues of providing suitable standards for human beings and about the specifics of how to administer a fair and equitable system. Ones at all Levels of Development refer to justice and think that they seek justice (no matter how skewed their interpretation of it may become). In any case, justice is a matter of principles–part of their idealism. They strive after justice and want to rectify injustices wherever they find them because, among other reasons, to do otherwise would be to fail to live up to their high moral standards and make them feel guilty.

In Eights, justice is more of a visceral response, a reaction to witnessing injustices occurring. Eights, generally speaking, do not walk around thinking about these matters, but if they saw a helpless person being harmed or bullied by others, without thinking about it, Eights would rush in to "level the playing field." For Eights, justice has little to do with abstract principles. Eights see themselves as protectors of others, and when they are healthy, they actually are. Eights are more likely to seek justice for "their people"–their family, friends, co-workers, ethnic group, and so forth. It is usually expressed in a concern that those in their care (or under their power and authority) be treated fairly. The cowboy marshal protecting the town against criminals and the union chief negotiating a just wage for the rank and file are examples of this more restricted concern for justice. With Eights, the sense of justice usually involves addressing an imbalance of power. This is quite different from the One who seeks to make sure that people are appropriately rewarded for good actions and punished for bad ones.

Of course, in their unhealthy manifestations, both types can be extremely unjust. Ones will still believe that they are being fair–the punishments they are meting out are for the good of the person being punished, or at the very least, for the good of society. Ones feel they need to rationalize their punitive activities. Eights do not. For unhealthy Eights, administering justice is simply meting out vengeance. ("You hurt me or my people, and I'll destroy you." "He ripped me off. Now he has to pay.") Needless to say, others may question the "justice" in either of these types' unhealthy behavior.

The confusion between Eights and Ones probably also stems from the fact that some Ones may misidentify themselves as Eights since they would like to have the authority and influence of Eights. They may also recognize that they have aggressive impulses and misidentify themselves as an "aggressive type," although they are really compliant to their ideals; the Eight is the true aggressive type par excellence. On the other hand, Eights almost never misidentify themselves as Ones, viewing Ones as lily-livered and bloodless–moral only because they are too weak to be strong. Although Eights themselves are unlikely to think they are Ones, other people sometimes misidentify Eights as Ones because they see them as reformers. But clearly, many natural leaders, including Eights, lead reforms when they are needed. Contrasting Ones such as Pope John Paul II, Ralph Nader, and Hilary Clinton with Eights such as Lee Iococca, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, and Barbara Walters gives a vivid sense of their differences.

bold: 8 characteristics
underlined: 1 characteristics

as you can see, I relate much more to the 1 side of this comparison.

VagrantFarce

I think the biggest difference between 1s and 8s is their relationship to Anger. 1s deny their Anger because they are controlled and disciplined, whereas 8s identify with their Anger because they are larger than life and excessive. 9s fill out the gut triad by being out of touch with their Anger, because they are overly accommodating and unfazed.

That is a huge difference between the three types, it can't be that difficult to recognise.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
bold: 8 characteristics
underlined: 1 characteristics

as you can see, I relate much more to the 1 side of this comparison.

This is really interesting... now I'm doubtful again.

Do you often feel guilty for not being able to reach your own high standards? That does seem Oneish.

Also, I think Ones can also be "protectors of the weak", but I guess that's more likely with 1w2. Whaddya make of this? :thinking:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is really interesting... now I'm doubtful again.

Do you often feel guilty for not being able to reach your own high standards? That does seem Oneish.

Also, I think Ones can also be "protectors of the weak", but I guess that's more likely with 1w2. Whaddya make of this? :thinking:

I can't really say. I relate strongly to types 7, 8, 9, 1, 2 and 4 and could be any of these. I just know that my personality when I was at the lowest point in my life way VERY unhealthy 1w9

VagrantFarce

I can't really say. I relate strongly to types 7, 8, 9, 1, 2 and 4 and could be any of these. I just know that my personality when I was at the lowest point in my life way VERY unhealthy 1w9

This can't be stressed enough, but the differences between those types are staggering - you just don't seem to see the forest for the trees.

I think you need to stop trawling descriptions for surface characteristics (which are far more malleable than some seem to think) and start examining your own subconscious motives. Consider your natural response to situations, try to examine every little decision you make, even the ones you tend to make without realising it. A pattern will eventually emerge, hopefully along the lines of one of these:

1. Being deadly critical of oneself and others for not living up to lofty standards.
2. Creating an image of selflessness and giving.
3. Creating an image of confidence and achievement.
4. Creating an image of imperfection, frailty and uniqueness. Being deeply absorbed in emotion.
5. Hiding away from the world, watching and hoarding instead of participating.
6. Wearing your anxiety on your sleeve, seeking security but doubting everything.
7. Being optimistic and always looking on the bright side of life, constantly scanning for new opportunities to "escape" and keep things exciting.
8. Having an excessive lust for life, being strong and attacking challenges head-first.
9. Being agreeable and accommodating, under emphasising your own intentions for the sake of others.

Also remember, we aren't absolutely ruled by these patterns - we can break them any time we want. We're just not always aware of being in their grip. You need to identify those times you're caught up in a familiar pattern and try to uncover the underlying, unspoken motivations that cause it.