• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 7] Having doubts about my enneatype again =(

Elfboy revisted

• 8w9

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • 9w8

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2w3

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 2w1

• 4w3

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • 3w2

• 3w4

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know several extroverts who want this, but not nearly as many as introverts

Well this was an excellent, well tested sample size of people. Guess you're more like the extroverts, then.

(or, the threes, whichever this proves.)

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
the reason I frequently come back to 8w9 is that my main motivation is kinda to make a bunch of money, be able to do whatever I want and then be left the fuck alone

Perhaps it might help to ask yourself: "what aspect of this process is most appealing to me?". You seem to view monetary gain as a pathway to independence (Eight?), rather than a guarantee of security during rough times (Six) or as a symbol of validation, status or success (Three).

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Perhaps it might help to ask yourself: "what aspect of this process is most appealing to me?". You seem to view monetary gain as a pathway to independence (Eight?), rather than a guarantee of security during rough times (Six) or as a symbol of validation, status or success (Three).

Actually, he talks about status and success a lot. And being superior.

(Because every starving and broken down child in the world has the means to make a lot of money and gain power, so anyone who can't or doesn't wish to do so is inferior, of course. :rolli:)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ENFP 3w4 sp/sx, second choice is 7w8. If you feel a bit introverted for an ENFP, then the 4 wing & sp/sx (so is bottom rung) explains that (as does the disdain for people concerned with reputation; a reason I think many e3w4s mistype.).

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Independence is not an 8-specific trait. Nor is wanting money. For 8, the type-specific trait is the motive of EXPANDING into their environment, like a king who wants to take more and more territory. Genghis Khan. Divide and conquer. Or just conquer. Greed for its own sake, not even for security but just because they can.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ENFP 3w4 sp/sx, second choice is 7w8. If you feel a bit introverted for an ENFP, then the 4 wing & sp/sx (so is bottom rung) explains that (as does the disdain for people concerned with reputation; a reason I think many e3w4s mistype.).

True, I can always see the Fi as a 4 instead of 6. The 3 personality is always archetypal of whatever profession they enter into. And that could be almost anything.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm going to disagree with all of these and say I'm feeling more and more 1w9

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Independence is not an 8-specific trait. Nor is wanting money. For 8, the type-specific trait is the motive of EXPANDING into their environment, like a king who wants to take more and more territory. Genghis Khan. Divide and conquer. Or just conquer. Greed for its own sake, not even for security but just because they can.

I agree with the bolded, but would this "expansion" trait show up even in sp-dom Eights? Aren't they more like cowboys who roam freely, withholding the inner power they know they have? :thinking:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
so let's see, 1w9, 3w4, 4w3, 4w5, 5w4, 5w6, 6w5, 7w8, 8w9...we've really narrowed it down

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree with the bolded, but would this "expansion" trait show up even in sp-dom Eights? Aren't they more like cowboys who roam freely, withholding the inner power they know they have? :thinking:

You caught me with my intellectual pants down! I don't do instinctual stackings. I've read over their descriptions and I don't identify with any. To me they just add a layer of confusion onto an already difficult typology. Twenty years ago I sincerely gave it my best shot, but eventually I gave up on the instinct variations.

P.s., I'm not saying they are wrong, I'm saying I don't know one way or another.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Let's analyse the dysfunctional aspect again. Enneatypes have "traps", or coping strategies that can be their ruin if taken too far. From the Enneagram Texas website:

1s - When ONEs experience discomfort they rarely express overt anger. Instead they automatically use the mechanism of reaction formation to manage unacceptable impulses by often being critical of similar impulses in others. Ironically, adhering to just one right way to be and holding one’s self and others to strict standards, omits all other possibilities and outcomes which may be a part of perfection.

3s - When THREES experience discomfort, they automatically use the mechanism of identification to convince themselves that they are the same as their accomplishments. Ironically, image and success by others’ standards do not guarantee inner fulfillment, especially in the absence of one’s own feelings and those of loved ones.

4s - When discomfort begins, FOURS automatically rely on the mechanism of introjection by taking in the idealized qualities for which FOUR is searching, and holding them as security against not having them. Ironically, a constant focus on what is missing prevents a rich, deep, fulfilling experience of the present.

6s - When discomfort is present, SIXES automatically use the defense mechanism of projection in which they put their worst fears onto others. Ironically, this continual vigilance and quest for certainty interferes with ever experiencing a basic sense of trust in the world.

7s - When discomfort occurs, SEVENS automatically use rationalization to help negatives go into the background, and to transform lemons into lemonade. Ironically, avoiding pain and life’s dark side creates more pain and is limiting in itself.

8s - When discomfort appears, EIGHTS automatically go into denial, not seeing their own vulnerability or the impact of their huge energy on those around them. Ironically, the forceful charging ahead makes others oppose them; and being out of touch with their own vulnerability makes them that much more vulnerable.

9s - When discomfort occurs or conflict is possible, NINES automatically call on the mechanism of narcotization, numbing out through secondary comforts such as food, drink or repetitive, comforting activities or thoughts. Ironically, seeking comfort and harmony by neglecting oneself leads, ultimately, to more discomfort and disharmony.

Which cycle have you had more issues with?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Let's analyse the dysfunctional aspect again. Enneatypes have "traps", or coping strategies that can be their ruin if taken too far. From the Enneagram Texas website:

1s - When ONEs experience discomfort they rarely express overt anger. Instead they automatically use the mechanism of reaction formation to manage unacceptable impulses by often being critical of similar impulses in others. Ironically, adhering to just one right way to be and holding one’s self and others to strict standards, omits all other possibilities and outcomes which may be a part of perfection.

3s - When THREES experience discomfort, they automatically use the mechanism of identification to convince themselves that they are the same as their accomplishments. Ironically, image and success by others’ standards do not guarantee inner fulfillment, especially in the absence of one’s own feelings and those of loved ones.

4s - When discomfort begins, FOURS automatically rely on the mechanism of introjection by taking in the idealized qualities for which FOUR is searching, and holding them as security against not having them. Ironically, a constant focus on what is missing prevents a rich, deep, fulfilling experience of the present.

6s - When discomfort is present, SIXES automatically use the defense mechanism of projection in which they put their worst fears onto others. Ironically, this continual vigilance and quest for certainty interferes with ever experiencing a basic sense of trust in the world.

7s - When discomfort occurs, SEVENS automatically use rationalization to help negatives go into the background, and to transform lemons into lemonade. Ironically, avoiding pain and life’s dark side creates more pain and is limiting in itself.

8s - When discomfort appears, EIGHTS automatically go into denial, not seeing their own vulnerability or the impact of their huge energy on those around them. Ironically, the forceful charging ahead makes others oppose them; and being out of touch with their own vulnerability makes them that much more vulnerable.

9s - When discomfort occurs or conflict is possible, NINES automatically call on the mechanism of narcotization, numbing out through secondary comforts such as food, drink or repetitive, comforting activities or thoughts. Ironically, seeking comfort and harmony by neglecting oneself leads, ultimately, to more discomfort and disharmony.

Which cycle have you had more issues with?

8 followed by 1 and 7.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm going to disagree with all of these and say I'm feeling more and more 1w9

Guys, guys, lets say all the types until the only type left is 7w8. Then he'll try to be arbitrary and say "i'm a 7w8." And we'll say, "that's what we told you to begin with."

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Guys, guys, lets say all the types until the only type left is 7w8. Then he'll try to be arbitrary and say "i'm a 7w8." And we'll say, "that's what we told you to begin with."

:spam_laser:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I no longer feel as invested in this question as I did the other day. But let me just point out that you've been hovering around types that are definitely resonant: 3w4 with 8w9, 6w5 with 1w9. I realize you don't care much for 6w5, yet today you strongly considered 3w4 despite hating all the worst stereotypes surrounding that type.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Hmmm... Let's compare to those excerpts from the same site, then:

1 - Their energy of anger is contained, but they often feel resentment because others are not working as hard as they are. All of this comes from a belief that the world is a judgmental place and punishes bad behavior and impulse. The way to feel worthy or loved is by being as close to perfect as possible. ONEs do everything to avoid making mistakes, being out of control or being unworthy.

3 - THREES do everything to avoid failure and projecting a less-than-good image. This comes from a belief that in order to be loveable I must appear successful, because the world rewards doing over being. THREES report that they can easily confuse achievement with a genuine sense of worthiness.

4 - FOURS report a sense of longing for what is missing in life, either in a relationship, work or a creative endeavor. This comes from a belief that life can only be satisfying if I find what is missing. FOUR’S focus of attention is on something "out there" that will make them feel whole.

6 - No matter how well things are going, part of their attention is always on what could go wrong. This comes from a belief that the world is an unsafe place and cannot be trusted. In order to feel safe and secure you have to be vigilant. The driving energy behind this cautious outlook is fear of worst possible outcomes.

7 - They are fun, adventuresome and positive. This comes from a belief that if you keep things positive you won’t get stuck in life's pain, which is so limiting and sorrowful. SEVEN’S focus of attention is on all that is positive and possible in the future. (...) They report doing everything possible to avoid sorrowful feelings, limits, or boredom.

8 - They often report that they are comfortable with their anger and surprised by how others back off. This is all based on a belief that the world is a place in which the powerful take advantage of the vulnerable, and in order to survive, one has to be strong, forceful and fighting for fairness. EIGHTS will do anything to avoid being vulnerable. The focus of attention is on power and control and any apparent injustice.

Which one rings truer to your (instinctive, not considered) outlook?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmmm... Let's compare to those excerpts from the same site, then:

1 - Their energy of anger is contained, but they often feel resentment because others are not working as hard as they are. All of this comes from a belief that the world is a judgmental place and punishes bad behavior and impulse. The way to feel worthy or loved is by being as close to perfect as possible. ONEs do everything to avoid making mistakes, being out of control or being unworthy.

3 - THREES do everything to avoid failure and projecting a less-than-good image. This comes from a belief that in order to be loveable I must appear successful, because the world rewards doing over being. THREES report that they can easily confuse achievement with a genuine sense of worthiness.

4 - FOURS report a sense of longing for what is missing in life, either in a relationship, work or a creative endeavor. This comes from a belief that life can only be satisfying if I find what is missing. FOUR’S focus of attention is on something "out there" that will make them feel whole.

6 - No matter how well things are going, part of their attention is always on what could go wrong. This comes from a belief that the world is an unsafe place and cannot be trusted. In order to feel safe and secure you have to be vigilant. The driving energy behind this cautious outlook is fear of worst possible outcomes.

7 - They are fun, adventuresome and positive. This comes from a belief that if you keep things positive you won’t get stuck in life's pain, which is so limiting and sorrowful. SEVEN’S focus of attention is on all that is positive and possible in the future. (...) They report doing everything possible to avoid sorrowful feelings, limits, or boredom.

8 - They often report that they are comfortable with their anger and surprised by how others back off. This is all based on a belief that the world is a place in which the powerful take advantage of the vulnerable, and in order to survive, one has to be strong, forceful and fighting for fairness. EIGHTS will do anything to avoid being vulnerable. The focus of attention is on power and control and any apparent injustice.

Which one rings truer to your (instinctive, not considered) outlook?

4 wins marginally this time, followed by 6, 7 and 8 which are about tied

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
OK, let's try this one from International Ennegram, then:

1 - The defensive coping strategy at the root of Type One's makeup is based on the internalization of a critical and judgmental parental voice. This voice is designed to call attention to and correct one's behavior before it becomes punishable. In terms of strengths, Ones are typically reliable, analytical, and moral. They often demonstrate integrity (consistent adherence to a set of values) and a desire to improve things for the good of all. Challenges for Ones include dealing with their own anger, managing their perfectionism, and being overly critical of self and others.

3 - The defensive coping strategy driving the Three is based on an early experience of being valued for what they did, not who they were. They perform and achieve in order to earn the approval and respect of others. Being preoccupied with doing, Threes can often be unaware of the fact that they numb themselves to their own emotions, because feelings can get in the way of doing and achieving. Strengths: Threes can be industrious, energetic, and attractive. Challenges: They can be workaholics, unaware of their real feelings, and unable to slow down and simply be.

4 - The defensive coping strategy centers around focusing on what is missing or lost as a way of avoiding feelings related to the hope for an idealized connection that may go unfulfilled. There is a focus on what is distant, special, and desired and an aversion to the ordinary, the mundane, and the everyday reality of what is. Strengths: Fours can be emotionally strong, authentic, artistic, and sensitive. Challenges: Fours can be entitled, dramatic, dissatisfied in relationships, and depressed.

6 - Coping strategy: Typically, Sixes grew up with authorities they believed were untrustworthy or unpredictable and felt they had to be watchful to survive. Consequently, Sixes have developed a keen ability to sense danger. There are two versions of Sixes: phobic and counter-phobic. Phobic Sixes are actively fearful, often withdrawing to feel safe, while still remaining vigilant. Counter-phobic Sixes may not be conscious of their fear (although it is still present), and instead automatically move to confront perceived threats or problems, as a way to prove that they are not fearful. In reality, both the phobic and counter-phobic reactions can be seen in most Sixes, although individual Sixes will tend to gravitate toward one end of the phobic versus counter-phobic continuum. Strengths: Sixes are often intuitive, loyal, analytical, and have the ability to challenge authority (counter-phobic) or see through false pretenses. Challenges: They may be overly suspicious or paranoid may project their own thoughts feelings and motives onto others, often have issues with trust, and may get stuck in self-doubt or excessive questioning.

7 - Coping strategy: The Seven coping strategy centers on avoiding fear and other negative experiences. They do this by reframing something fearful, negative or uncomfortable as something positive. They may also move toward the source of fear or discomfort in order to charm and hopefully disarm it. Strengths: Sevens are usually adventurous, fun, positive, upbeat, and optimistic. Challenges: It can be difficult for many Sevens to make and keep commitments or deal with pain: They often believe the following: Why feel bad or suffer when there is the choice to be happy? Sevens also have difficulty staying focused or dealing with emotionally charged interactions.

8 - Coping strategy: As children, Eights often lived in combative environments where weakness was punished and they had to be strong to survive. As a result, Eights tend to lead with a strong and potent self-presentation and to hide or deny their own vulnerability. Strengths: Eights tend to be strong, powerful, commanding, energetic, and intense. Challenges: They can also have difficulty containing their own energy and anger, be controlling, and be unaware of their own vulnerabilities.