• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 8] You know you're an 8 when...

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
-disclaimer: I'm not absolutely certain that I'm an 8-

You know you're an 8 when
- you HATE other people who tell you what to do
- you resent those you are attracted to because they make you feel vulnerable
- when you're uncomfortable, you act more formal and create between yourself and your environment so that it can't affect you negatively
- you're really soft and snuggly on the inside, you just wish people would let you show it
- you tell someone much older "don't use that tone with me!"
- others say you're overly disagreeable and argumentative even when you think you were being friendly
- constantly dream of attaining wealth, power and autonomy
- despite what others may think, you are a VERY fervent and affectionate lover to those close to you

Chloe

you resent those you are attracted to because they make you feel vulnerable
-

this is so fucked up :D
hahha, just kidding

but it is so weird.. i experienced this on my own skin. hm. i knew one guy who is ENTP and 8, and he was all protective of me when he thought he "can have me", but when he found out i have a bf he became so violent towards me.... and since i knew hes an 8, i knew its because he is jealous. but its not very pleasant. if i didnt know about enneagram i'd think he really hates me ... but i know that 8s dont attack weaker people, he was all cuddly when he thought i am not above him (and i am not, but in his perception).

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
this is so fucked up :D
hahha, just kidding

but it is so weird.. i experienced this on my own skin. hm. i knew one guy who is ENTP and 8, and he was all protective of me when he thought he "can have me", but when he found out i have a bf he became so violent towards me.... and since i knew hes an 8, i knew its because he is jealous. but its not very pleasant. if i didnt know about enneagram i'd think he really hates me ... but i know that 8s dont attack weaker people, he was all cuddly when he thought i am not above him (and i am not, but in his perception).

you've points out a common misconception. 8s are much more likely to attack someone stronger than them than weaker then them

A

A window to the soul

Check this out. It might clarify some things about 8's.
^ Looks like Riso & Hudson's work. Thanks for sharing the link.

^ Not true at all.
^ :1377: Au contraire my dear...
Riso & Hudson said:
|8's| (Most Healthy - The Level of Liberation): Become self-restrained and magnanimous, merciful and forbearing, mastering self through their self-surrender to a higher authority. Courageous, willing to put self in serious jeopardy to achieve their vision and have a lasting influence. May achieve true heroism and historical greatness...
Read More, http://theenneagram.blogspot.com/2007/09/type-8.html#he

About Riso & Hudson:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riso-Hudson_Enneagram_Type_Indicator

rav3n

You're welcome.

And another link. I prefer this one since it tempers some of that heroic stuff. But it, like most other descriptions is over-the-top for 8's. This part is cool and s'truth:

Behind your tough exterior you are gentle, playful, childlike and innocent. Always one to laugh, you can see the humor even in the most painful and difficult of circumstances. You are also unusually devoted to and protective of those in your ‘inner circle,’ often secretly going without so that others will have what they need. Living by your own personal code of honor, you have a strong sense of justice which compels you to act whenever you see any kind of injustice taking place.

rav3n

Hate's a strong word. I'm fine to follow a good lead but will not follow a bad one.

No, not at all. Attraction for me is so few and far between that I welcome crushes but only if they're reciprocated. If not, no big deal. Latah.

- when you're uncomfortable, you act more formal and create between yourself and your environment so that it can't affect you negatively

Depends. Sometimes I use humour to disspell uncomfortable situations. Most people like to laugh, including myself.

- you're really soft and snuggly on the inside, you just wish people would let you show it

Snuggly? Wouldn't say that but with loved ones, I do show a softer side.

Age doesn't matter. If there's an unnecessary tone being used, they can either amend it or they're not going to get cooperation.

- others say you're overly disagreeable and argumentative even when you think you were being friendly

For every action, there's a reaction. If you choose blunt and directive language, be prepared that there will be people who take offense. It's up to you to decide if it's worth the offense or not.

Nope. If I want it bad enough, I set a plan and get it.

- despite what others may think, you are a VERY fervent and affectionate lover to those close to you.

Uncertain how this is applicable to 8's specifically. Might be your variant.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Hate's a strong word. I'm fine to follow a good lead but will not follow a bad one.

No, not at all. Attraction for me is so few and far between that I welcome crushes but only if they're reciprocated. If not, no big deal. Latah.

Depends. Sometimes I use humour to disspell uncomfortable situations. Most people like to laugh, including myself.

Snuggly? Wouldn't say that but with loved ones, I do show a softer side.

Age doesn't matter. If there's an unnecessary tone being used, they can either amend it or they're not going to get cooperation.

For every action, there's a reaction. If you choose blunt and directive language, be prepared that there will be people who take offense. It's up to you to decide if it's worth the offense or not.

Nope. If I want it bad enough, I set a plan and get it.

- despite what others may think, you are a VERY fervent and affectionate lover to those close to you.

Uncertain how this is applicable to 8's specifically. Might be your variant.

underlined: I'm usually very indirectly affectionate if I like someone, but I was more resentful when I was younger.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
When you give the blank stare at people, they felt like you are going to rape them.
When I stare at my enemies, they always feel like they are in danger.

[YOUTUBE="CG0U2bab6kg"]Rape face[/YOUTUBE]

When you want to kill other 8's for fun

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When you give the blank stare at people, they felt like you are going to rape them.
When I stare at my enemies, they always feel like they are in danger.

[YOUTUBE="CG0U2bab6kg"]Rape face[/YOUTUBE]

When you want to kill other 8's for fun

agreed :laugh:

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Actually i was kind of trolling
I am a weak 8, or a strong 5 that have 8 tendencies.

8 is just a number to me. I am more concerned about self development.

These are some observable tendecies of myself:

I like to test myself in the limits or things I fear.
(Like I want to work in the construction industry because I have a fear of heights, and I want to develop my courage)
I enjoy challenges
I like when things go out of control
I seek self mastery rather than overpower others
I can't stand other swaggers and people who are dominnering
What I lack in brute force and strength, I adapt
I am very calculating when I deal with people I don't like and find intimidating

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
you know you're an 8 (or w8) when
- everyone things you're a total ass....but they can't help but like you
- you have been told on you should become or would make an excellent cult leader
- you flipped that person off because you didn't want to admit that they were right
- you watched Jules Winfield in Pulp Fiction and thought "you mean he's not normal?"
- the song "I did it my way" is the story or your life
- others regret being too harsh with people. you regret being too nice and not telling enough people off

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You know you're an 8 when:

* You used to be a badass/still are or you don't actually know it.
* You gather people and guide them without even trying.
* You're blunt and hilarious.
* You're buff, either physically or in the head, depending on upbringing.
* You vent by smashing, yelling and destroying things for fun, which also helps to relieve boredom.
* You don't do 'emotional crap', unless under pressing circumstances.
* You enjoy everything and don't give a crap about how bad it might be for you.
* Uncertainty is your enemy, every single 8 I know has this quality.

I'm not an 8, but that's what they seem to be like, with a fair bit of variance.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
you know you're a male 8 when
- you have bad ass fight scenes playing in your head on a regular basis, especially when listening to a favorite song
- men either submit to you, become very reactive around you or become passive aggressive and team up on you
- the exception is extremely confident/secure men who find you interesting and good conversation
- women on the other hand think you're you're sexy and confident and think "finally a real man, I don't understand why the other guys don't like him"
- people say you were too harsh even when that was about the 10th thing down the list of things you wanted to say
- people perceive you as angry when you aren't
- rappers seem like normal people to you

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You know you're an 8 when -

You are invincible, nothing can penetrate your protective barrier - except a crying woman.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
*curious*

why a crying woman of all things in the world?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You know you're an 8 when -

You are invincible, nothing can penetrate your protective barrier - except a crying woman.

a crying small child, younger sibling or friend might also do the trick. my INTJ 8 friend would not care about any of these. if he was particularly in a paranoid mood, he might think the woman was trying to seduce him/use him for economic gain.