• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 9] 9w1 characters?

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Hiya. So, I've been thinking a lot about how the - seemingly contradictory - type Nine with a One wing operates - how "detached" they are, how much they worry, et cetera. As such, I think it might be worthwhile to study some fictional examples. If you could give me some, it would be greatly appreciated! :biggrin:

For starters, I've seen Marge from The Simpsons typed as a 9w1 ISFJ. Seems plausible, but I have to watch more of the show to find out. I could also mention Miss Honey from Matilda, though I've only seen the movie...

B

brainheart

Well, first things first, I am not a worrier, not in the slightest. Perhaps you're thinking more 1w9 than 9w1?

Both of the characters you mention I can see possibly being 9s, although I see 1 more in both of them, maybe it's the J vs P difference? Also, watched the Mosquito Coast last night and Helen Mirren's character, "Mother", seemed very 9-like, getting to extremely unhealthy 9 at the end where she is unwilling to see that her husband is completely destroying her family's life. She will not assert herself against him even though it is more than warranted.

9 is a pretty versatile type, I think. I think it's easy- just like with any type- to focus on the more stereotypical representation of it. None of the characters mentioned are real people (obviously), so they're pretty one-dimensional. Guess I'm just saying you have to watch it with typing of this sort because it seems overly simplistic/ tends to reinforce stereotypes of the types.

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Well, first things first, I am not a worrier, not in the slightest. Perhaps you're thinking more 1w9 than 9w1?

Both of the characters you mention I can see possibly being 9s, although I see 1 more in both of them, maybe it's the J vs P difference? Also, watched the Mosquito Coast last night and Helen Mirren's character, "Mother", seemed very 9-like, getting to extremely unhealthy 9 at the end where she is unwilling to see that her husband is completely destroying her family's life. She will not assert herself against him even though it is more than warranted.

9 is a pretty versatile type, I think. I think it's easy- just like with any type- to focus on the more stereotypical representation of it. None of the characters mentioned are real people (obviously), so they're pretty one-dimensional. Guess I'm just saying you have to watch it with typing of this sort because it seems overly simplistic/ tends to reinforce stereotypes of the types.

Well, quite a few INFJs in this very forum claim they're 9w1s, so I don't think the difference lies in J/P. And, from what I've read in threads in the Enneagram Institute forum, 9w1s are usually more "cerebral" than 9w8s, who are more "grounded". And, well, while Nines are usually pretty passive, Ichazo (I think) says they acquire the traits of an unhealthy Six during moments of stress. I can see where you're coming from, though.

It's just, well, I kind of imagine 1w9 as being more contentious, like Mr. Spock or Prosecutor Edgeworth from the Ace Attorney series. Neither of the characters I mentioned seems contentious - Miss Honey's main fault is that she refuses to act against her boss's tyranny due to her low self-esteem, thus enabling said boss to continue oppressing others.

To be frank, though, this is also kind of a part of my ongoing quest to find my type, but I figured a thread like this could be a good reference for future forumers. :newwink:

Anyway, thanks for responding, brainheart! You rock, srsly. :hifive:

EDIT: Hey, speaking of one-dimensonal, how about Chance the Gardener from Being There as a 9w1 caricature?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
9w1 characters:
Botan- Yu Yu Hakusho
Yukito- Card Captor Sakura
Yukito- Tsubasa Chronicle
Bastian Bux- The Neverending Story
The Little Prince
Edit: I almost forgot Rafiki from the Lion King :laugh:

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
9w1 characters:
Botan- Yu Yu Hakusho
Yukito- Card Captor Sakura
Yukito- Tsubasa Chronicle
Bastian Bux- The Neverending Story
The Little Prince
Edit: I almost forgot Rafiki from the Lion King :laugh:

Thanks for replying! :hug:

These sound about right, especially Yukito and Rafiki. I recently reread The Little Prince, and I'm unsure whether he's a 9w1 or a 4w3. Or maybe I don't usually associate Type Nine with walking into a complete stranger and going all "Draw me a sheep! No good, another one! Another one, dammit!"

Then again, it could be a tritype thing... :thinking:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks for replying! :hug:

These sound about right, especially Yukito and Rafiki. I recently reread The Little Prince, and I'm unsure whether he's a 9w1 or a 4w3. Or maybe I don't usually associate Type Nine with walking into a complete stranger and going all "Draw me a sheep! No good, another one! Another one, dammit!"

Then again, it could be a tritype thing... :thinking:

perhaps the little prince is a 9w8 or 8w9 :laugh:

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
perhaps the little prince is a 9w8 or 8w9 :laugh:

He could be a 9w8... He's very much a free spirit, and has a protective streak (toward the rose), though he knows quite well when people are taking advantage of him. I could see an argument for 9w1, though, due to his "lecture" on the importance of daily duties (trimming his weeds, stirring his volcanoes, et cetera). That could be a Six in his subtype, though... :thinking:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He could be a 9w8... He's very much a free spirit, and has a protective streak (toward the rose), though he knows quite well when people are taking advantage of him. I could see an argument for 9w1, though, due to his "lecture" on the importance of daily duties (trimming his weeds, stirring his volcanoes, et cetera). That could be a Six in his subtype, though... :thinking:

I think his head triad type is 7. optmistic, adventurous, fun. he also comes across as fearless and confident, but in an INFP 10 year old sort of way. perhaps he is a 9 with w8 and w1. I would guess his tritype is 9-2-7 or 9-4-7

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I think his head triad type is 7. optmistic, adventurous, fun. he also comes across as fearless and confident, but in an INFP 10 year old sort of way. perhaps he is a 9 with w8 and w1. I would guess his tritype is 9-2-7 or 9-4-7

What, you mean with balanced wings? I guess that could happen...

Going bach to 9w1 characters, how about Belle from Beauty and the Beast? She could be a 9w8, but she's so... airy. To the point where the whole town sings about it. ;)

Look, there she goes, that girl is strange, no question
Dazed and distracted, can't you tell?
Never part of any crowd
'Cause her head's up on some cloud
No denying she's a funny girl, that Belle...

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Other possible examples:

Alphonse Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist)
Dr. Ernest Menville (Death Becomes Her)
Annie (The First Wives Club) - could be a 9w8, but she's so repressed...
Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter series)
Miyuki Takara (Lucky Star)
Tsukasa Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
Chad (Bleach)

Whaddya think? :thinking: