• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 7] 7w8 and enneagram gurus.. question for ya

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Type Seven= 72
Type Five= 63
Type Eight= 62
Type Two= 56
Type Three= 55
Type Four= 53
Type Six= 49
Type Nine= 48
Type One= 40

I have been really confused about my enneatype.. and a few times I typed as a 4w3 and 3w4. But I knew that I couldnt really be a 4 because I do feel different and I hate it. I wish I felt more like others.. I really enjoy working in teams, I hate for people to see me as melodramatic or down. I knew I couldnt really be a 3 because I do care about looking good and image, but it's not at my core. I am too lazy sometimes to put the amount 3's put into achievement. I am not that goal oriented, far more Play and have fun oriented. I just found a good test on enneatype in the quiz section. It was different than the others I've taken, much longer and the options were alot easier to chose between. My results above.

I can't be a 7w5 right? So I'm assuming that the most likely typing is 7w8?

But my understandign of 7w8 are strongly independent adventure seekers. I am not THAT independent. I've had points in my life where I was single, but I have ALWAYS had a partner in crime. Atleast 1 other person, be it a best friends, roomate, or boyfriend that I pal around with ALOT.. and get then to join in all my shenanigans!

As 7w8.. are you fierceley independent? In that you'd jump on a plane by yourself to a place you've never been? Let me clarify, I'd EASILY jump a plane to somewhere I've never been (i work for an airline and do it all the time).. but I don't think I could do it alone. The idea is great.. but the reality is that I'd take someone else with me. And if they couldn't come I'd be more inclined to find some other shenanigan they could do. Thats not very 7w8 is it?

By the same token, I think that 8's are pretty assertive, and I definately am. It's a rare occasion that I question my ability or correctness, but when I do I CAN fade into the backdrop until I'm more confident. Is this typical of 8 wing?

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'll add that the feeling of taking someone with me on my adventures is 1) because i fear that if i get into any trouble while traveling, that it's better to have someone to help. Like if i got mugged or assaulted or lost in a bad area (which is something i could totally see myself doing as i jump this one sparkley thing to the next), and 2) because whenever I go and do fun awesome things i REALLY want someone to share it with. Not having someone to share it with takes alot of the appeal away.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
just wanted to say that just about every single time i take a test i get 7w8 and i have no idea why...i don't test high on 6 at all or 4 or 3 but somewhat 2 and 9 anyway...most people on this forum have said i seem very 7w6 and i've decided i agree...so...do the test just suck? or what? maybe just read all of the descriptions and see what fits best.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'll add that the feeling of taking someone with me on my adventures is 1) because i fear that if i get into any trouble while traveling, that it's better to have someone to help. Like if i got mugged or assaulted or lost in a bad area (which is something i could totally see myself doing as i jump this one sparkley thing to the next), and 2) because whenever I go and do fun awesome things i REALLY want someone to share it with. Not having someone to share it with takes alot of the appeal away.

i'm the same way. it's like it didn't happen if i'm alone. i honestly just don't get much out of it...at all.. unless i have someone with me.

B

brainheart

I can't imagine any extrovert would want to go somewhere alone, if they had the choice. I think by independent they just mean willing to assert your opinions, take risks. That's my guess.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i dated an 8 and it also helped me to realize i wasn't very 8ish at all. they are the challenger...i seek harmony. i don't enjoy verbal sparing...if and when i challenge the only reason would be to defend someones right to their own perspective. i like discussions to be exploratory and informative...just idea sharing really...i don't want them challenged. i believe someone with an 8 wing may have a bit of that challenging aspect to their personality...do you?

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
i dated an 8 and it also helped me to realize i wasn't very 8ish at all. they are the challenger...i seek harmony. i don't enjoy verbal sparing...if and when i challenge the only reason would be to defend someones right to their own perspective. i like discussions to be exploratory and informative...just idea sharing really...i don't want them challenged. i believe someone with an 8 wing may have a bit of that challenging aspect to their personality...do you?

No, I don't fight to fight. Just like you, I LOVE discussing ideas for the sake of knowledge. NEVER to beat someone or make them feel stupid. If the debates get a *little* fiery I do like the effect. But I steer clear of any kind of personal attack and know my audience well. Anyone that sees an attack on their idea as an attack on themself, I will not push. But I really enjoy those that can handle an argument, maybe get a little worked up, but always go away smiling.

Now in competitions.. like especially sports, or one group against another, I do get a bit fiery. I like to taunt my opponent in a very funny but fiery way. I like to see it yank their chain a bit, make them focus, make them try harder, but if I get the impression they are pushed too far, I drop it. In groups I do it as amost a fun motivating factor for my peers, and alone for fun.

This all goes out the door if my oponent has an advantage. Then I don't want them focusing, and give a very playful nonchalant demeanor.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, I don't fight to fight. Just like you, I LOVE discussing ideas for the sake of knowledge. NEVER to beat someone or make them feel stupid. If the debates get a *little* fiery I do like the effect. But I steer clear of any kind of personal attack and know my audience well. Anyone that sees an attack on their idea as an attack on themself, I will not push. But I really enjoy those that can handle an argument, maybe get a little worked up, but always go away smiling.

Now in competitions.. like especially sports, or one group against another, I do get a bit fiery. I like to taunt my opponent in a very funny but fiery way. I like to see it yank their chain a bit, make them focus, make them try harder, but if I get the impression they are pushed too far, I drop it. In groups I do it as amost a fun motivating factor for my peers, and alone for fun.

This all goes out the door if my oponent has an advantage. Then I don't want them focusing, and give a very playful nonchalant demeanor.

well, going around picking fights is more an unhealthy 8 thing. 8s most of the time just look like they're picking a fight because their communication style is very strong and choleric. healthy 8s like to get lots of feedback from people and often communicate this more directly than they intend to and it ends up turning into an interrogation (I HATE being interrogated so I've worked a lot on trying to tone this down). now, sometimes 8w7s will like to fuck with people a little (especially if they're social variant), but all in good fun. 8w9s are a different story. if you attempt to throw them off, you will be eliminated lol.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
As 7w8.. are you fierceley independent? In that you'd jump on a plane by yourself to a place you've never been?

In a word, yes.

To lose independence would be a fear of mine. Fun and adventure is my main aim, but independence is right up there. Just posted this in my blog, it was talking about anger but kinda relates to your question:

I tend to show up as equally 7 and 9, I identify with 7 in totality while not all parts of 9 are relevant, after that I relate to 8.

For me my 8 wing is about motivation, personal determination and a massive desire for independence. My wing shows up in my being assertive, I'm not shy about speaking up where many others would smile and look uncomfortable, and it shows in my love of being in charge, I don't feel the need to make all the decisions but I don't like it when I don't feel as though I have some control over them. Like many 8s, I also need to be in control of my emotions, that includes anger.

I seek to avoid anger whenever I notice it rising, of course I experience it from time to time but I do not enjoy the negative feelings it brings so I do not allow it to linger. The 379 combo cannot stand negativity, I want productivity or positivity when something bad comes up, if anger motivates me to action because I don't want to experience any more negativity then great, it can be better than feeling blue because of that but at the end of the day I seek to avoid conflict if I can. If conflict comes to me however, I won't shrink.

Basically I relate more to E9s style of wanting to keep the peace but I have the assertiveness of my 8 wing.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Do 4's mistype as 7's? Is it possible? I once read that 4's are almost an opposite of 7. 4's being pessimist, 7's being optomist.. When I look at my core, I know that adventure and fun is the root... but I swear that the next up is individualism. What is it *exactly* that makes a 7w4 impossible? I admit, I don't fully understand the theory... but for anyone that does... why do you HAVE to blend into the wing around you? What science or proof validates this? Or atleast what ideas are surrounding this?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Look into tri-type, it may be more relevant to you than looking at your wing. The wing is adjacent because that's how the system was designed, there is no science to any of it.

"While it is quite uncommon for Fours to mistype as Seven, it is not especially unusual for Sevens to initially mistype as Four. In addition, from an external point of view, more extroverted Fours, primarily those with the Three wing, can, in some settings, look like Sevens and artistic Sevens might resemble Fours. This is because both types can be creative, unconventional, attention seeking and even flamboyant in their presentation. Nevertheless, Fours are far less extroverted than Sevens who truly seek out people as a principle means of distraction. Fours are comfortable with their negative mental states, even sometimes choosing to inhabit them, whereas Sevens are in flight from pain. As a general rule, Sevens tend to overestimate the extent of their suffering and sadness because they find such mental states to be so threatening to their sense of self; they can therefore think of themselves as being more melancholic than they actually are. The melancholy of type Seven is primarily driven by anxiety however, whereas that of type Four has its roots in a feeling of worthlessness"
source

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Type Seven= 72
Type Five= 63
Type Eight= 62
Type Two= 56
Type Three= 55
Type Four= 53
Type Six= 49
Type Nine= 48
Type One= 40

"The Meaning of the Arrows (in brief)
When moving in their Direction of Disintegration (stress), scattered Sevens suddenly become perfectionistic and critical at One. However, when moving in their Direction of Integration (growth), gluttonous, scattered Sevens become more focused and fascinated by life, like healthy Fives."

Its interesting to me that my next highest score is 5 and least highest 1. I wonder if this is indicative of me moving towards growth. Because if it is... let me say that growth has been REALLY PAINFUL!

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
With Kaspers clarification on 4's and 7's (Thankyou Kasper!) ..I am believing more and more that I am indeed a 7. I DEFINATELY do not enjoy sitting with pain. I can't bear negative mental states and will even sometimes go to extremes to avoid these. In the past, I've turned to partying nonstop with people- even people i don't really care for or trust, just to get out of my mind. I've resorted to excessive bar hopping, outrageous spending to the point that i'd reserve a hotel room in Vegas before paying my rent on time! (sick i know) I've passed up awesome job promotions to keep the flexability of doing whatever I want and to avoid stress and obligation, I've even pushed off ending incredibley bad relationships just so I am not left with compulsive thoughts of failure and what I should have done differently.

Now some things have happened in the last 2 years that have forced me to not be my typical, extravagant, adventuresome self. 1) I took a job with the airline (mentioned earlier) but it was a MASSIVE pay cut. I told myself that I could live on an extremely humble income in the name of traveling. What I didn't take into account is how much day to day FUN a higher income affords. Just simple things, like affording a latte every day, getting a massage once a month, getting my hair and nails done, shopping when I want, always having cash on hand to go to a concert, festival, art exhibit, etc. Giving up these things was/is TORTURE! But I continue to force myself to do it because every 2 months I can jaunt off to SanFran, or Portland, or Chicago. I question if its worth it ALOT. 2) To take the travel job I have to work from home (i do behind the scenes airline crap) .. some people would think its great (probably extreme introverts) but again I totally overlooked my need for PEOPLE. Oh how I miss BSing with people, hearing whats going on in their life, sharing my life, I even miss the work place DRAMA, and I never thougth i'd say that! 3) My SO bought a house about 2 hours away from the city I grew up in, so I'm stuck out in suburbia, as in no local music, few coffe shops, no neat little artistic stores, just Kohls and Applebees as far as the eye can see =( So now I rarely get to see friends AND there isn't shit to do in this town. Honestly, you can only see a movie and go to barnes and noble SO much. Finally.. I lost my DL! As in had it suspended for a YEAR for an array of traffic infractions (none of which were actual accidents). What is the point here? I have made decisions (yes i take full accountability) that i feel have left me really efen stagnant. ALL in the name of TRAVEL! Let me say this.. 3 months in I was fine, 6 months in I was getting pretty down, 9 months in a was practically MANIC and this carried on for a few months, with virtually NO WAY to avoid or distract myself. And ya, it did create growth. PAINFUL PAINFUL growth. I had no choice but to visit the darkest recesses of my mind. No choice but to sit with years and years of issues that I had never fully worked out and accepted because I kept myself so god dam distracted all the time. And suddenly, I started typing E/I border. and getting 3w4 and 4w3 results.

So ya, have I grown? Sure. I've worked through alot of stuff that I needed to work through. I almost wonder if some things in life are pre destined, and if this experience was all meant to be in some icky icky growth process.

I am really curious to know if any type 7's have had this type of "growth" placed upon them? Life circumstances that have deprived you of your normal flow? Did it permanently change you.. or do you find its circumstantial?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
All of that sounds pretty familiar to me, the reasoning behind the decisions you made that is. Painful situations when avoided can turn into major problems, even knowing this I'll often stick my fingers in my ears and sing out "la-la-laaa" in a loud voice because confronting a painful situation is the main thing in life I seek to avoid.

Luckily growing and being more responsible for that exceptionally irresponsible part of myself hasn't always taken things turning into a major problem, the discomfort of a situation that is getting worse by being avoided is also something I seek to avoid, however I am aware enough to know that confronting is the only way to make things improve at times so I'll get smart, slap myself some, and just deal with things.

Once a specific situation is improved I do not want it slipping again, that is once again pain avoidance, so I make sure it doesn't. I don't believe things are pre destined, but one thing I think is a 7 trait along with our optimism is seeing what positive things can be taken out of any situation, especially the painful ones.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I can't imagine any extrovert would want to go somewhere alone, if they had the choice.

Sure I would. In many ways, being alone gives you more freedom to act as you please, something which 7w8 consider of paramount importance.

Huxley, your self portrait hints towards ENFP-7w6.

I am really curious to know if any type 7's have had this type of "growth" placed upon them? Life circumstances that have deprived you of your normal flow? Did it permanently change you.. or do you find its circumstantial?

I generally try hard to anticipate negative circumstances, even though it's not always easy. Most of my hobbies require a relatively small amount of money (cycling, mountain climbing, learning new languages), thus my cushion allows me some freedom when choosing what to do next.

Erskine L. Cole

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
7w8s are softies who put on big faces. They like to stretch out toward their line-connected points, too. Expansiveness is key.

I like how they joke provocatively with people, even people they don't know. A gentle psych-out.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
7w8s are softies who put on big faces. They like to stretch out toward their line-connected points, too. Expansiveness is key.

I like how they joke provocatively with people, even people they don't know. A gentle psych-out.

It's not a face, it's just for fun. We don't do it to change other people's perception of ourselves.

Erskine L. Cole

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
A fun face. A bit of provocativeness and an undertone of bravado with a double dose of good humor.

(Come on, that reads just like a horoscope, so how can you deny it? :newwink:)