• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 9] 9w2 ... what does it mean?!

Peel

Making a bit of a habit of asking questions here, but I took the enneagram test and got 9w2, which I think is a fairly good fit - I also got 2w3 2w9 quite a bit too however. Was kinda hoping one / some of you budding enneagram experts could shed some light on what this says about me. I've read up a little bit and from what I gathered type 9s were very chilled, and type 2s were selfless, caring etc.

My type 3 scores were always very close to my 2s however, which I think might clash with my 9 in a way? Would I be correct in thinking this makes me a lazy and driven person who wants to help others? Sounds crazy just thinking about it! Kinda reminds me of a sloth :cheese:

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Your wing type can only be one of the two types adjacent to your main type, even though it may not be your second highest enneagram score. So if your main type is 9, your wings can only be 8 or 1. Thus the only possibilities for enneagram 9s are 9w8 or 9w1. For enneagram 2s, they can be either 2w1 or 2w3.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Your wing type can only be one of the two types adjacent to your main type, even though it may not be your second highest enneagram score. So if your main type is 9, your wings can only be 8 or 1. Thus the only possibilities for enneagram 9s are 9w8 or 9w1. For enneagram 2s, they can be either 2w1 or 2w3.

I assume they are subscribing to that "the adjacent wings rule is totally arbitrary" theory put forth by Evan/Magic Poriferan.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'd suggest either looking at adjacent wings or looking at tri-type theory, whichever works best for you.

There is some good info here

Chloe

Op: your 9w2 is because of connection to 3(look at enneagram symbol), but because you are NF in image triad you score as 2 a bit higher than 3. Your E type us either 9, and I wouldnt be surprised if you are actually a 3. check out profiles, on books.google.com, and let me know!:)

All NFs wanna help ppl mostly, this is why many score as 2 even when they are not!

Do you relate tobeing driven, achievement oriented and then over burning and becoming lazy, without energy?

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
9s and 2s are look-a-like, they tend both to be self-forgetting of their need, and to merge with other, to be accomodant etc. But wathever. 9w2 does'nt exist. Wether you're 9 wether you're 2, but not 9w2.

"the adjacent wings rule is totally arbitrary"

Wrong.

Peel

Wow, thanks so much for the insightful replies. Seems I made a rather schoolboy error haha

Op: your 9w2 is because of connection to 3(look at enneagram symbol), but because you are NF in image triad you score as 2 a bit higher than 3. Your E type us either 9, and I wouldnt be surprised if you are actually a 3. check out profiles, on books.google.com, and let me know!:)

All NFs wanna help ppl mostly, this is why many score as 2 even when they are not!

Do you relate tobeing driven, achievement oriented and then over burning and becoming lazy, without energy?

Yeah I think I relate to that - definitely times where I've become enthralled with something eg. wanting to go do some work abroad, and then after a while I'm more or less indifferent to it. Not sure I'd say it was burning out, but yeah I am a rather lazy person at times :) Do you think I could be a 2w3 instead of a 9? I feel like I can relate to them all - I'm pretty laid back, and don't really get stressed (or if I do, it's like intense stress that goes away very quickly) - a friend said I have quite a calming demeanor which in a way led me to thinking I'd be a 9, but I'm also quite motivated to do well (at least some of the time), more because I owe it to others who have helped me and myself rather than the glory of the achievement I would say though, and I certainly feel quite 2ish (at least from what I understand of it). Would you still say I was a 2 / 3?

ilovereeses

MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
9w8
I'm pretty laid back, and don't really get stressed (or if I do, it's like intense stress that goes away very quickly)

That's a big hint of being a 9. We hate being stressed out and will appear to never get angry. We also will become indifferent to things randomly (even if it's a passion). I'm a 9w8 and I still relate very well to 2 and 3. That's because, like stated earlier, I am an NF and want to help people and my "soul child" (a thread somewhere in this forum explains this theory) is a 3. That means that deep down inside, no matter how humble I appear, there's a show off inside of me that wants to impress people. It's not nearly as extreme as a 3's, but it's there whenever the opportunity arises.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Helen Palmer wrote:

2s and 9s are look-a-like

Like 9s, 2s are more concious about what people desire than able to know what they want themselves. But they behave differently than 9s in sense that they change their image in order to keep control in the relationship. 9s, giving, don't change and don't control: they define the way they merge with others by "To be like a reflection in a mirror", that is to say taht they absorb and they reflect the point of view that other people impose to them. They say also that they exercise control by slowing down and taking away than by manipulation. Another difference between 2s and 9s lies in the fact that the first move actively to meet people with wich they wish to etablish a relationship, while the seconds vare reluctant to put themselves forward.

The two profiles describe impressions of merging with others. 2s merge with what, with people, reflect them or inspire them. Thay are selective about those with wich they merge: it must be someone who is worthy of it. 9s would describe the nature of their merging by a sentence like: "I become the other one entirely and I take everything I find in". While a 2 merge with the other one feeling what he desires and adjusting his personality to seduce.

2s and 3s are look-a-like

The 2 have lost contact with his authentics feelings. The three points placed on the right side of the enneagram, 2-3-4, represent the differents ways the child sacrified his feelings to resolve the conflict between his needs ad those oh his parents. The 2 have begun to to forget his feelings because he adapted very young to the needs of others, and he had conserved that habit do pay attention to fluctuations of their mood and to their preferences. To support effectively to other's need guarantees him security and protection.

We could confused a 2 and a 3 if the 2 socially succeed. It is normal that the 3 climb the ladder of success., because he find a reward in his work rather tha in his feelings. A 2 can also be energetic and ambitious on the professional plan, but his deep motivation is to be loved for himself rather than for his achievements. The difference between a 3 and a 2 attracted by performance is comparable to an artist playing before an audience in order to mount a big show and another artist playing before the same audience to impress a pal sit down in the forefront.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I assume they are subscribing to that "the adjacent wings rule is totally arbitrary" theory put forth by Evan/Magic Poriferan.

Arbitrary is one way of putting it. Uninferred and without necessity or justification might be how I'd put it.

Hmm. I don't recall. Did we talk about this in my thread before?

Random Ness

The only thing that can really help you decide your second type is by reading extended descriptions and comparing them. I find the overviews on enneagraminstitute to be most helpful. For the longest time I thought I was 6w2 until I read deeper descriptions (actually read them, not just skimmed) and realized I don't relate to the arrogance of 2s at all but relate to the anal retentiveness of 1s well (but not as much as the dependency of 6s).

And yes, I reject the wing theory. :cheese: I'm not a 5. At all. Or 7. At all.

Peel

Opps, forgot about this thread as I had exams all last week, but thanks a lot for all the replies :D hoping to follow up on this enneagram stuff soonish! Quick question though: do people just instinctively know what types they are or do these things take months / years? I've always found it very difficult to type myself, suppose that's why I like doing these quizzes so much!

That's a big hint of being a 9. We hate being stressed out and will appear to never get angry. We also will become indifferent to things randomly (even if it's a passion). I'm a 9w8 and I still relate very well to 2 and 3. That's because, like stated earlier, I am an NF and want to help people and my "soul child" (a thread somewhere in this forum explains this theory) is a 3. That means that deep down inside, no matter how humble I appear, there's a show off inside of me that wants to impress people. It's not nearly as extreme as a 3's, but it's there whenever the opportunity arises.

Just thought I'd mention I relate to this uncannily well :shock: