• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 9] Eights, What's Your Take On This?

rav3n

As someone who never really liked Superman finding him kind of lame, that argument doesn't work with me. Now Frank Miller's Dark Knight is something else. Be still my beating heart! :laugh:

But Batman did what he had to do, not because he wanted to be viewed as a hero. Also take note that he did many non-heroic deeds because of an unresolved anger towards the murderers of his parents. So technically, he was emotionally unhealthy.

rav3n

Some may view this as self-sacrificing (Only if you view being admired as a hero as a goal).
But the accolades weren't what he was after. He had a need for vengeance, a need he enacted onto the criminal world. Not a hero but a man, flaws and all.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

So you don't even consider him a hero in the first place? That does make it different. In the world he lived in do you think he should've been subjected to the same rules as everyone else?

rav3n

Not sure what rules have to do with the concept of heroism. Perhaps you can explain.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

The police trying to subdue him even though he is helping in their efforts against stopping crime. He just happens to be more effiecient. Though this is kind of strange because Gordon doesn't mind so much. I'm thinking at the end of the 2nd Nolan movie.

This seems off subject, I apologize. You don't have to answer.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
:dry: Seeing as how any of my points on the actual OP haven't been replied to, and the arguing for the sake of argument over something as trivial as "Superman is a superhero", I'll leave my points to be where they are.

rav3n

Underlying differences reside in the definition of hero or superhero. Superman is a hero to you. To me, he's lame. There's no depth to him, doing everything by rote of what's societally deemed to be 'good'. Not sure he has the capacity of depth.

rav3n

To add to my previous post, it's like people believe that everyone should adhere to societal definitions of 'good', hence find the heroic and magnanimous description of Level 1 as something to model themselves after. And if there's dissension, it's bad. Fe much anyone?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
:doh: So the "bad boy" super hero with all the emotional turmoil has lots of depth because he came from a screwed lifestyle.. But the guy with alien superpowers and genuinely flies around helping the world and the people in it lacks emotional depth, and is thus not a super hero?

This entire debate has not focused on any of the true replies to the OP at all, and it keeps jumping around and changing tunes so much it's made my head spin. Maybe this is just a subject you didn't want to debate, but wanted support on. In which case, you should have just said so in the first place instead of leaving it so open-ended.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To add to my previous post, it's like people believe that everyone should adhere to societal definitions of 'good', hence find the heroic and magnanimous description of Level 1 as something to model themselves after. And if there's dissension, it's bad. Fe much anyone?

Okay, okay, you're a sociopath, we get it. :D

rav3n

Like I said, one is more human than the other who actually has bothered to soul search, rather than following societally accepted and approved rules of 'goodness' and 'rightness' by rote. Give me a thinker anyday, than someone sheeplike.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks. Just what the doctor ordered, more Fe-ness.

Aww, do you want a Fe-hug? They're nice!

What would you suggest replacing the languge for Tier 1 with? How would you describe the top level of the E-8?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Underlying differences reside in the definition of hero or superhero. Superman is a hero to you. To me, he's lame. There's no depth to him, doing everything by rote of what's societally deemed to be 'good'. Not sure he has the capacity of depth.

So do you like Braniac then? How about Lex Luthor?

rav3n

Aww, do you want a Fe-hug? They're nice!
Hugs? No thanks. T's don't hug.
What would you suggest replacing the languge for Tier 1 with? How would you describe the top level of the E-8?
Some of this has already been stated earlier in this thread but the intent isn't for application for other 8's unless they too, find it resonates true to them. It's my own preference for self-actualisation.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
"What do you suggest is the top level?" Is answered with "Everyone has to find their own." He didnt ask what you think everyone's should be.. Just what yours should be. What would YOU write there? What would be the 8 words that you think would need to attain in order to be at your happiest, most fulfilled, and best operating? Jeezus.