• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 6] e6 finicky eaters

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it's more rigid in Si than Ni e6s, but goddamned, only trust what you know?

is it worse with self-preservation doms? who seem hyper aware of their body and notice anything that doesn't feel quite right? do they hallucinate even the slightest change into a permanent fear of whatever food might have been somehow related to how they now feel?

i just see e6s who are terrified of new foods, and have restricted themselves to such a narrow range of foods that "make them feel good." and the range is usually macdonalds and sam and louies. it's like this super weird distortion of comfort food.

how can you help make nutritional improvements (in the case of illness or poor health) if an e6 won't eat anything outside of its narrowly prescribed range of junk food, calming food, safe food, reward food, comfort food, etc? and claims that any changes make them feel ill?

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Reminds me of a TV series about fussy eaters. Each fussy eater had to work with a nutritionist and a psychologist. They all could only eat very certain foods and were afraid to eat anything else. Their issues commonly came down to some sort of disturbance in their lives around the age when they were learning to eat, and it somehow went into their attitude to food. Issues to do with fear/control usually. From what I saw on the show, you can't make them eat better, convince them with rational arguments or anything like that. All the people in the series had come to a point where the negative consequences of their eating habits were costing them too much so they sought help to change. And even then, some still had a really hard time. One woman's final challenge after her treatment was to cook a meal for her nutritionist and psychologist, and she got so freaked out and overwhelmed she started to drink alcohol, more and more until she was sitting on the floor just drinking. Some people did really well though and made good progress.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
that's fucking interesting. i wonder if there is a greatly increased tendency for some people to associate negative experiences into their food. i thought Si/bodily awareness intelligence would be particularly apt, but i think Fi has a big role too. the ifps and itjs i know with Si and Fi seem very comfort food based in a way that to me seems odd.

tom condon describes e6 fear/control issues pertaining to food, but doesn't really get into why food in particular becomes important.

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
In this series, the connection of fear/control issues to food started to develop in all the people at some point during their oral stage of development, so I guess between 2 years to 5 or 6, something like that, as a result of some sort of disturbance, e.g. a response to intimidation and domination (you can't make me eat if I don't want to) and fear (this food might kill me). I think the key is that the control/fear issues occur during this oral development stage, which is why it is reflected in food - what can go in the mouth. I watched quite a few episodes and with practically all the people the psychologist said that as adults they were still stuck in this oral stage of development, they were eating and behaving like five-year olds in relation to food.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I admit i am a finicky eater .. I just don't see the point of making a meal if i've never tried it before and don't like it .. That's why i enjoy going to buffet houses so i am try a tiny bit of something and if it's good then i'll get more and if it tastes like shit, then i'm spitting it out.

Random Ness

I'm a 6 sp, and yes I'm a picky eater. I'm not afraid of new foods, I just find most foods gross. I worry I might not like it and throw it away, wasting my money, so I just don't order new foods.

What Gerbah is describing is extreme, though. I can usually be talked out of my tendency by being convinced that another food is healthier or you recommend that food for me.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The pickiest eaters I've ever met were all Se-doms. Go figure. As for enneagram, I guess 6 makes the most sense, if you're going to try and correlate such a thing....

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I'm a 6 sp, and yes I'm a picky eater. I'm not afraid of new foods, I just find most foods gross. I worry I might not like it and throw it away, wasting my money, so I just don't order new foods.

What Gerbah is describing is extreme, though. I can usually be talked out of my tendency by being convinced that another food is healthier or you recommend that food for me.

Yes, it's extreme. I didn't mean it was anything to do with enneagram type. The people on the show had real food phobia, it was more than just being picky.

G

garbage

I try new foods all the time, and I'm not picky at all. I do have foods that I know I like and, when I'm lazy, I default to those.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
From experience with 3 younger brothers:

3w4 so/sp istp - He'd eat pretty much nothing but seeds when we would go out to buffets as a fam. Bases many of his opinions/image on current culture, i.e. doesn't listen to reason, especially regarding food/drink.

6w7 so/sp isfj - Not picky at all.

9w1 sp/so entj - Pickiest, most traditional consumer of all 4 of us, maybe moreso than our istp brother in that he doesn't prepare/improvise, though, like him, favors mass opinion over health when deciding.

Last edited:

VanillaCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
I don't think I'm picky either. However, I know a 5w4 who is very very picky... Still, I don't think it's an enneagram thing.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I doubt this is very type related of any sort. I am probably 6w5 and am anything but a picky eater. I will eat almost anything and there are few things I'm afraid to try. Actually, I think I don't have a very discerning palate. I can never really describe food or tell you why I like or don't like it. But I enjoy most foods. It's actually quite handy not having a discerning palate, especially when you travel to exotic countries ;)

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You haven't tried my over-boiled broccoli ;)

I'd probably enjoy it. :D I love broccoli and I would probably only not enjoy it if it were boiled into tiny shrivelled strips, and burned a bit too.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Would you eat what's in my avatar?
My avatar is of Romanesco Broccoli, which I chose for its naturally occuring fractal beauty. IIt's actually a variant form of cauliflower with the color of broccoli.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Would you eat what's in my avatar?
My avatar is of Romanesco Broccoli, which I chose for its naturally occuring fractal beauty. IIt's actually a variant form of cauliflower with the color of broccoli.

If it tastes like either broccoli or cauliflower, I would!