• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 9] Type 9 and Identity

DJAchtundvierzig

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
We have sometimes called the Nine the crown of the Enneagram because it is at the top of the symbol and because it seems to include the whole of it. Nines can have the strength of Eights, the sense of fun and adventure of Sevens, the dutifulness of Sixes, the intellectualism of Fives, the creativity of Fours, the attractiveness of Threes, the generosity of Twos, and the idealism of Ones. However, what they generally do not have is a sense of really inhabiting themselves—a strong sense of their own identity.
:sombrero:
:glasses:
:jesus:
:2ar15:
:SaiyanSmilie_anim:
:jew:
:headphne:
:wtf:
Ironically, therefore, the only type the Nine is not like is the Nine itself. Being a separate self, an individual who must assert herself against others, is terrifying to Nines. They would rather melt into someone else or quietly follow their idyllic daydreams.

Is this true for you?

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I feel always awkward telling anyone who i am or what defines me. Making a CV is hell. Does this make me nine?

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I feel always awkward telling anyone who i am or what defines me. Making a CV is hell. Does this make me nine?

Maybe, maybe not. I hate the whole idea of self-promoting oneself through a CV or resume. I'm a type 5 with a strong 9 component.

InTheFlesh

Enneagram
CFV
This makes a lot of sense for me. I never thought about it like this but now that I have I'm taken back by it.

Thank you for posting this

Fluxkom

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yes this is absolutely true for me.

I don't know who I really am nor what I do stand for nor what I really want.

I'm like a social chameleon. I join a club or a particular niche with it's specific vocabulary, knowledge and behavior and become part of it. I blend in perfectly but as soon as I quit these kind of groups I let everything drop off. It was not the "real" me that was in there. This was me fitting in, adapting the groups goals and wants.

Lately I've been thinking a lot about this. It seems that I'm totally defined through my environment. I lack a real identity and therefore also the wants and goals that truly belong to me and are the results of an inner need. I've never experienced anything like that.

It is really hard to describe however.

HighwayChild

Enneagram
4w5
DJAch..choo..I can definately relate. I score highest in 4 but 9 is second and I can see a lot of myself in 9. They both seem to have identity issues. I wonder if you score or can relate strongly to type 4 as well?

DJAchtundvierzig

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
DJAch..choo..I can definately relate. I score highest in 4 but 9 is second and I can see a lot of myself in 9. They both seem to have identity issues. I wonder if you score or can relate strongly to type 4 as well?

Haha, I like that. When I get to 500 posts thats going to be my title, thank you. And surprisingly... 4 was my 2nd to lowest scoring result. Maybe it's because I have a tendency to deny my true feelings and all that wonderful stuff. :D

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm like a social chameleon. I join a club or a particular niche with it's specific vocabulary, knowledge and behavior and become part of it. I blend in perfectly but as soon as I quit these kind of groups I let everything drop off. It was not the "real" me that was in there. This was me fitting in, adapting the groups goals and wants.

Just wondering how you think this plays out on an internet forum like TypoC? Does it still apply?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I definitely see 9s playing peacemakers on this board, sometimes at the expense of their own viewpoint. It just frustrates me when I see they are RIGHT and they should stand up for themselves....

Fluxkom

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Interesting question.

For me there are no universal goals and wants for the group of "onliners" if you so want. And the internet in itself is just an agglomeration of niches and specific sub groups. However I don't fall into my usual pattern when online.

There is still a default behaviour that takes over when I'm online. Primarily I enter the research mode for my Ne and just read interesting stuff. That and I try to help people that are looking for information with bits and pieces that I stumbled upon my endless journeys in the fibre glass optics.

So in the end you might say that through that lack of direct face to face communication and therefore not being able to mimick body language and adapt to specific group dynamics, on the internet I'm more of myself than in the RL.

The implication then would be, what would happen if I tried to transfer those traits to the RL, as it seems to be a natural part of me, researching and helping people, that is.

I think I have to put some more thought into this.

Thank you for the question!

Edit: This should have gone below JiffinJeffJones' posting.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just wondering how you think this plays out on an internet forum like TypoC? Does it still apply?

It sometimes does, mate.

(See what I did there?)

wolfy

awsm
No, I have always had a clear identity. If we define identity as that which differentiates from others. I looked up identity and ran from link to link but I can't find anything clear to work from. Anyone have a clear definition of identity?

I like steak pies. That has always been part of my identity.

KDude

Why do you need a clear definition of identity? Huh? Huh? Get your own definition bro!

:rolleyes: ;)

wolfy

awsm
Yeah, I have a definition. It is my own and I identify with it.

Identity:
  • What you typically bring to the table. Unique blends of skills, knowledge and talents.
  • What you are into. What you like and dislike.

KDude

Cool enough :) So you don't experience this "merging" at all? I wonder if it's different across SX/SO/SP.

wolfy

awsm
Cool enough :) So you don't experience this "merging" at all? I wonder if it's different across SX/SO/SP.

I can see some merging with the environment as far as taking ideas and stuff to do from it. From people and the environment. Things become apparent from the situation and I make them my own. Like imagine an idea is a ball and you see the ball and pick it up and run with it. That is what I mean. But merging with another person's identity isn't something I relate to at all.

This is kind of unrelated but it reminded me of this old story. I was sitting at my Grandad's place and he had on some Doobie Brothers. I was maybe fifteen, he said "do you like this song?" I was going through this thing where I'd try and read what people wanted and give it to them so I tried to read his face to see and said "Yeah". He said "I don't" and switched it off. I never tried to read a person again. I loved that lesson, my wife is sick of that story!

KDude

Yeah, merging with someone's identity (if you put it that way) sounds extreme. What I thought it meant was toning down one's own position or convictions and becoming passive or agreeable to many situations. Which is admirable. I probably can't do it as easily as a 9 (as I understand it).

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To be honest, I don't think that I feel I'm lacking identity. However, being able to relate to most types, most people, especially having empathy, can be a bit confusing when you're trying to figure out where you stand on an issue or what your preferences are...a lot of the times you stand in the middle of the road. This is because on deciding on an issue, you can really see and understand the reason behind most sides. I think I use my gut feeling a lot and also my emotions to guide me as to what it is I like, what I want and what I need.

For example, the issue of whether or not abortion is morally wrong. I can see and understand the scientists as well as the religious zealots and though I may side more with one or the other, I usually can't, or don't, oppose the other either. Scientifically, you may not be killing a human, just the initial make up of a potential human. I can also see and understand that looking at this from a more spiritual outlook, once the sperm penetrates the ovule, that there is the potential for life and a human soul might exist. Anyhow, what I'm trying to say here is that although I believe in science, I also have strong spiritual beliefs. So I probably won't be sure what I would do if I conceived and unwanted child until it actually happens. Going with my gut feeling and what weighs on my emotions, I may not be able to get over the guilt of ending a pregnancy. However, if I consider a horrible situation like my being raped and then to consider the shame of what it would be like to carry a child of a man who traumatized me and the type of life I could offer it's child...I might actually have the balls to go through with an abortion.

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was brainstorming some more about the indecisiveness and obscurity about what is said of type 9s. This quote from the book/movie "Girl Interrupted" by Susanna Kaysen came to mind:

Susanna Kaysen: I'm ambivalent. In fact that's my new favorite word.
Dr. Sonia Wick: Do you know what that means, ambivalence?
Susanna Kaysen: I don't care.
Dr. Sonia Wick: If it's your favorite word, I would've thought you would...
Susanna Kaysen: It *means* I don't care. That's what it means.
Dr. Sonia Wick: On the contrary, Susanna. Ambivalence suggests strong feelings... in opposition. The prefix, as in "ambidextrous," means "both." The rest of it, in Latin, means "vigor." The word suggests that you are torn... between two opposing courses of action.
Susanna Kaysen: Will I stay or will I go?
Dr. Sonia Wick: Am I sane... or, am I crazy?
Susanna Kaysen: Those aren't courses of action.
Dr. Sonia Wick: They can be, dear - for some.
Susanna Kaysen: Well, then - it's the wrong word.
Dr. Sonia Wick: No. I think it's perfect.

I was also thinking about what it means to have an identity, a personality...a question wolfy posed earlier. What qualities make those things up?
I started off by looking at the dictionary.com definition for both words and then by searching wikipedia for any other "clear" insight on what these may consist of:

i·den·ti·ty
   /aɪˈdɛntɪti, ɪˈdɛn-/ Show Spelled[ahy-den-ti-tee, ih-den-] Show IPA
–noun, plural -ties.
2.the condition of being oneself or itself, and not another: He doubted his own identity.
5.the sense of self, providing sameness and continuity in personality over time and sometimes disturbed in mental illnesses, as schizophrenia.

Medical Dictionary
iden·ti·ty definition
Pronunciation: /ī-ˈden(t)-ət-ē, ə-ˈ/
Function: n
pl -ties ; 1 : the distinguishing character or personality of an individual
2 : the relation established by psychological identification

per·son·al·i·ty
   /ˌpɜrsəˈnælɪti/ Show Spelled[pur-suh-nal-i-tee] Show IPA
–noun, plural -ties.
Psychology .
a.the sum total of the physical, mental, emotional, and social characteristics of an individual.
b.the organized pattern of behavioral characteristics of the individual.
4.the quality of being a person; existence as a self-conscious human being; personal identity.
5.the essential character of a person.

Medical Dictionary
per·son·al·i·ty definition
Pronunciation: /ˌpərs- ə n-ˈal-ət-ē, ˌpər-ˈsnal-/
Function: n
pl -ties ; 1 : the complex of characteristics that distinguishes an individual especially in relationships with others
2 a : the totality of an individual's behavioral and emotional tendencies
b : the organization of the individual's distinguishing character traits, attitudes, or habits

I think this sums up what a personality really is best "the complex of characteristics that distinguishes an individual especially in relationships with others." It is a combination of many characteristics. I think it would be impossible for people to be completely unique in all the characteristics they own, people would not be able to relate to one another in this way. Rather, what makes us unique is the actual combination of these characteristics that we have in comparison to one another, that's what makes one stand out.

When comparing these definitions to the type 9 enneagram description, why can't we just say that one possible or prime characteristic of this type, is said to be one of ambivalence, empathy, middle of the road due to having a broad spectrum of understanding of others and/or flexible likes and dislikes, and relatability. Therefore many preferences, as opposed to none and/or being unsure of one's preferences.