• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 9] Type 9 is liberating

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not if they are your own problems, or problems you helped create.
Right. So your motivation is to discover whether or not you are at fault, and therefore whether or not you have to do anything. With the overall goal of doing as little as possible ("I don't want to be disturbed") which you achieve by blaming others.
See how that works?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Right. So your motivation is to discover whether or not you are at fault, and therefore whether or not you have to do anything. With the overall goal of doing as little as possible ("I don't want to be disturbed") which you achieve by blaming others.
See how that works?

Why burden myself if I'm not at fault?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why burden myself if I'm not at fault?
Because that's how you learn to become authentic and fully present.

IOW, self-awareness through suffering.

There is a difference between beating yourself up because someone else is hurting and just being present with that person and allowing yourself to share their experience and accept and validate their feelings - which you can't do if you are judging them ("it's their problem") or judging yourself ("I fucked up") or insisting that they feel happy and great all the time just so they don't disturb your mood. That's just selfish and it closes you off to real communication. You need to take off your rose-coloured specs if you really want to see.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

There is a difference between beating yourself up because someone else is hurting and just being present with that person and allowing yourself to share their experience and accept and validate their feelings - which you can't do if you are judging them ("it's their problem") or judging yourself ("I fucked up") or insisting that they feel happy and great all the time just so they don't disturb your mood. That's just selfish and it closes you off to real communication. You need to take off your rose-coloured specs if you really want to see.

I disagree, sometimes people need judging. Accepting and validating feelings all the time with everyone is an impossible task.

But I'll be glad to "judge" you on that standard from now on if you wish. :D

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I disagree, sometimes people need judging.
Careful, you're channeling your inner ISTJ.
But I'll be glad to "judge" you on that standard from now on if you wish.
I think I'm pretty good at not judging people's reactions to what I say.
I let them get as pissed off as they want. ;)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

very well said miss morgan! it's about being present while taking yourself out of it...know what i mean? are you capable of doing that mac?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
very well said miss morgan! it's about being present while taking yourself out of it...know what i mean? are you capable of doing that mac?

Are we doing Zen now?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We know you're more than capable of sarcasm and deflection.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We know you're more than capable of sarcasm and deflection.

What she wrote was similar to Zen, which is different than what you wrote (self-awareness through suffering).

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So you're not deflecting, Mr Ronin Attorney?

Ok. I'll stop, you can have your thread back.:smile:

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So you're not deflecting, Mr Ronin Attorney?

Ok. I'll stop, you can have your thread back.:smile:
Can I do it? Yes, but it is difficult, the people are many, and time is short.

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I was deeply conflicted as to whether I was a 5 or a 9 for about an hour there. But then I remembered my obsession with H.P. Lovecraft and his occult mythologies. Definitely a 5.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was deeply conflicted as to whether I was a 5 or a 9 for about an hour there. But then I remembered my obsession with H.P. Lovecraft and his occult mythologies. Definitely a 5.

Why is that?

Chunes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Type 9 here.

I know I'm type 9 but that hasn't helped me. I don't trust other peoples' ability to handle themselves, so I'm always tiptoeing.

If I didn't do this, I feel like I'd probably have a nervous breakdown. One of the things that always frazzles me the most is looking back to something I said and wondering if it was too offensive.

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Why is that?

On many of the profiles I read it said that one of the main differences between fives and nines is that fives are drawn to darker and more disturbing systems of thought (Indeed, I've often whimsically thought how the world would be infinitely better and more interesting place were the mythologies cultivated by H.P. Lovecraft true) than nines are, who prefer more "harmonious" systems and theories.

Indeed, now that I think about it, I am always drawn to the dark, and the tragic, and the horrific, dissonance over harmony, dark over light, and sad over happy. So, in that way, I am more a five than a nine.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
On many of the profiles I read it said that one of the main differences between fives and nines is that fives are drawn to darker and more disturbing systems of thought (Indeed, I've often whimsically thought how the world would be infinitely better and more interesting place were the mythologies cultivated by H.P. Lovecraft true) than nines are, who prefer more "harmonious" systems and theories.

Indeed, now that I think about it, I am always drawn to the dark, and the tragic, and the horrific, dissonance over harmony, dark over light, and sad over happy. So, in that way, I am more a five than a nine.

I read a lot of horror/mystery novels (including a Lovecraft phase in college) and prefer a tragedy to a happy ending, but I don't think that makes me a 5.

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I read a lot of horror/mystery novels (including a Lovecraft phase in college) and prefer a tragedy to a happy ending, but I don't think that makes me a 5.

I wasn't suggesting that that's the only reason why I am a five, but as I was reading through profiles of the two types in order to find which one I related to more, that comparison was suggested as a quick tiebreaker. It had the effect of silencing my cognitive dissonance and self-doubt for a while, and so I was satisfied.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is the one jarring thing. You're kinda dark for a 9.