• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 9] Type 9 is liberating

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
MacGuffin is not a 9!

You see, type 5's holy idea is omniscience. This is distinguished from type 8's holy idea as Truth because omniscience is knowing the truth about everything where as the simple truth may be particular. When the 5 is unhealthy, or even relatively healthy, it retreats into its own world because it thinks that it lacks the wealth of information it would otherwise have, and how it is intertwined with the rest of the known universe. Once the 5 becomes healthy, it is able to call the shots and be more assertive about the particular truth in the moment as an 8 would.

On the other hand, the unhealthy 9 is a total wuss bag who just goes along to get along. Any notion of truth lacks significance when the 9 becomes passively merged with others, inheriting the opinions of others for the mere sake of harmony. Agreeability becomes the keepsake of the 9, as most 9s who are self-preservationists feel as though the identity of others is their own. So disagreeing with someone would, in effect, be disagreeing with oneself. Once the 9 becomes healthy and more intact, it learns to distinguish itself by reflecting off of others, thereby becoming more assertive about their own ideals.

Wooosh, and there ya go Mac?

G

Ginkgo

^ yes I do :tongue10:

You're not allowed to break the laws of physics. The laws of enneagram are within those laws. Who do you think you are, God? Don't take your "Peacekeeping" ways so seriously, oh Mighty One.

G

Ginkgo

And since when is type 9 "liberating"? If you feel emancipated by just milling along and being passive aggressive, then I think I'm going to go auction myself as a slave.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Instinct" is like gut reaction. It’s immediate, sensory, reflexive behaviour. It’s about how you interact with your environment, viscerally, not intellectually (thinking) or emotionally (feeling). It corresponds loosley with Freud’s concept of Id.

The type in the centre of each triad (nines, sixes, threes) has most difficulty with the function which defines the triad. Nines repress their instincts (id) in order to maintain a harmonious environment, in the process losing conscious control of them. But often we become ruled by the things we repress – just because they are out of our conscious control, doesn’t mean they don’t play a major role in our lives (much like the inferior function). The price nines pay for an illusory peace of mind is disconnection from themselves and ultimately, disconnection from everything, because without a firm idea of self, one cannot have any kind of relationship with others, let alone a harmonious one.

Dunno if that helps.

Yeah it kinda does. Maybe this is one of those things where it's so simple and right in front of me; but I'm waaay over analyzing it (damn Ni). I can see how that's repressed in me; but at the same time very strong as an awareness. That's how 9's keep the peace and such, having an awareness of instinctive stuff but not really acting on it how we would like to. At least that's how it is for me, I'm a 9w8, not sure how it works for 9w1s. Maybe they are more holding back on openly judging a situation ethically and working around that and with that judgment to further understand the situation to work for their goals.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
MacGuffin is not a 9!

On the other hand, the unhealthy 9 is a total wuss bag who just goes along to get along. Any notion of truth lacks significance when the 9 becomes passively merged with others, inheriting the opinions of others for the mere sake of harmony. Agreeability becomes the keepsake of the 9, as most 9s who are self-preservationists feel as though the identity of others is their own. So disagreeing with someone would, in effect, be disagreeing with oneself. Once the 9 becomes healthy and more intact, it learns to distinguish itself by reflecting off of others, thereby becoming more assertive about its own ideals.
I think you just don't know him well enough.
He's a sexual nine, not an sp one.
9w1
Tend to have been "model children." Instinctively worked to please their parents by being virtuous, orderly, and little trouble. When awakened, they have great moral authority plus good-hearted peacemaking tendencies. Often have a sense of mission, public or private, that involves working hard for the welfare of everyone they are committed to. Principled expression of love. Desire to contribute, do little harm. May be well-liked, modest, endearing, gentle yet firm. Some have great grace and composure with bursts of spontaneity and sweetness. Elegant simplicity. When entranced, they tend to be self-neglectful. May go passively dead and operate from a dubious, fractured morality. Dutiful to what they shouldn't be. Play the good child, disappear into contexts, settle for being overlooked or just partly recognized. Passive tolerance of absurd or damaging situations. One-sided relationships where the Nine gives too much. Rationalize, minimize, tell themselves they had a great childhood, everything's fine. Placid numbness creeps over them. Intolerance of their own emotions. Gradually deaden their soul.
Sexual Nines seek a sense of well-being by finding something or someone to merge with. They want to be at one with the world, with beauty, with nature, but especially with a special, ideal lover. That being said, Sexual Nines have many anxieties about losing themselves by submerging their identity in the other. Thus, they can sometimes appear ambivalent and emotionally conflicted, like Fours or Sixes. They sometimes attempt to "solve" the inner conflict between their desire for merging and their desire for independence by "triangulation." They engage in two separate, simultaneous relationships that serve different needs while never completely showing up in either. Needless to say, this can create the kinds of conflicts that Nines are trying to avoid.

The overall affect of Sexual Nines is one of gentleness, ease, and flow, and they seek these qualities in others and in the environment. They also tend to be highly sensual, enjoying tastes, textures, and sensations. Although they resemble Fours in this regard, being ethereal and dreamy, their sensuality is earthy and embodied, and they are not as self-aware or self-doubting as Fours. Sexual Nines tend to be more imaginative than the other Variants—often with elements of gentle whimsy and heroic fantasy. They see the world in magical terms, investing even ordinary objects with a warm glow. They seem to take in the world with a wide-eyed wonder and have a characteristic child-like aura about them.
^ what type do you think he is?
Currently, I'm leaning towards IsFP.

Ha! He's gonna hate me for that.

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
^Tease!!
(INFJ)

Maybe.
9s have problems dealing with reality though. Their coping mechanisms are all about avoidance. The passage I quoted reads (to me) like an excuse to avoid taking responsibility for the consequences of one's actions and blaming others. I.e. typical unhealthy 9 behaviour.

I agree, I've seen it happen. A lot.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's more PC to say they are liberated from being interesting.

OK. I'm really stopping now.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So you are saying Mac is liberated from being interesting then?
Some people's journeys to liberation aren't as taxing as others.
I guess Mac just got lucky.

G

Ginkgo

I think you just don't know him well enough.
He's a sexual nine, not an sp one.

Currently, I'm leaning towards IsFP.

Ha! He's gonna hate me for that.

Yeah I hardly know him. Judging from what I've seen of him on the forum, he tends to have some interesting and original commentary. I don't see IsFP, though. Most ISFPs tend to state the obvious and reveal the pragmatic, or if they're more like BC or wolfy, they can shift perspectives fairly easily and turn ideas upside down. I sense a strong tertiary temptation vice for both those too. Not that that's bad or anything.

Hmm... It's time to go MacGuffin stalking.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Actually if I had to type MacGuffin without knowing anything about him I'd say he seems ISTJ.

G

Ginkgo

MLF, I don't think 9's coping mechanisms are about avoidance in general.

I think they are about avoidance of conflict.

This means that, instead of engaging in any direct contention, they would rather mend the situation and encourage everyone to be a single peaceful organism.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sonYFxHHvaM"]This[/YOUTUBE]