• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 5] Am I an 5w4 or 5w6?

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I am an enneagram 5, although I highly relate to the easygoing 9 too.
What is the main difference between 5w4 and 5w6. From all the descriptions, I fit both the highly intellectual, technical 5w6 AND the highly imaginative, artistic 5w4. What enneagram am I?

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Far as I can tell 5w4 is generally made to be more artistic and abstract than it really is, it's generally just more emotionally charged than 5w6. For comparison: 5w4 = House. 5w6 = Foreman.

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe I'm balanced between 4 and 6.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You could be 5 OMNI, yeah.

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, here's some info about my interests if that helps, I like science, philosophy, and music, that's what I spend the majority of my time thinking about. When I was younger, I was heavily into drawing but kind of grew out of it. One of my favorite interest right now is futurism, thinking and speculating about whats to come. I spend almost no time thinking about my "emotions", although music is my emotional outlet. I also highly relate to Ne.

According to the big five, I'm highly reserved, very calm(emotionally stable), unstructured, my accommodation is almost balanced, I'm like 40% accommodating, and my strongest, most pronounced dimension is inquisitive(openness to new experience), OH YEAH, I'M A CLOWN TOO^_^.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Based upon the above, I would say 5w4, but this is mainly just a gut reaction. I am 5w6 and what you have written strikes me as distinctly different, though we share interests in science and music.

VagrantFarce

Don't focus on interests, instead focus on the subconscious motives of the different types:

• 4s suffer from character envy - they need to be unique, and jump inside themselves in order to maintain an image that purposefully differs from everyone else.
  • 6s are socially vigilant and anxious; deep down they need to fit in with others, but they have issues with trust that can prevent this from happening.
Combine these with the your compulsion to think things over rather than act, and decide on which one describes you more on a moment-to-moment basis. Try to catch yourself as you're going about on your daily business, eventually a pattern will start emerging.

And don't think you're a 5w4 because you're "sensitive" or "creative" and into abstract stuff - that proves nothing. Same thing with 5w6 and "technically proficient".

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
4s suffer from character envy - they need to be unique, and jump inside themselves in order to maintain an image that purposefully differs from everyone else.

From this information, I think that would make me more 5w4, I have a strong need to be "apart" from everybody esle, not be part of the group.

6s are socially vigilant and anxious; deep down they need to fit in with others, but they have issues with trust that can prevent this from happening.

Like I mentioned earlier, I have less of a need to fit in with a group or others.

Overall I think I am an 5w4 now, this helped alot. ;)

VagrantFarce

Make sure you consider why you feel a need to be apart from others - are you trying to maintain a unique image, or is it more to do with maintaing ties to a specific clique that you identify with? 6s can have trouble admitting to themselves that they need to fit in with others (eg groups of people who band together because they all identify as 'non-conformist').

Rena

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Don't focus on interests, instead focus on the subconscious motives of the different types:

• 4s suffer from character envy - they need to be unique, and jump inside themselves in order to maintain an image that purposefully differs from everyone else.
  • 6s are socially vigilant and anxious; deep down they need to fit in with others, but they have issues with trust that can prevent this from happening.
Combine these with the your compulsion to think things over rather than act, and decide on which one describes you more on a moment-to-moment basis. Try to catch yourself as you're going about on your daily business, eventually a pattern will start emerging.

And don't think you're a 5w4 because you're "sensitive" or "creative" and into abstract stuff - that proves nothing. Same thing with 5w6 and "technically proficient".

Great advice. I wish we could put a similar thought as a great big sticky on the boards so people don't get too hung up on stereotype and superficial likes and dislikes. :newwink:

G

Ginkgo

:yes: