• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 9] 9s need to feel pain to feel better?

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
9s need to align their actions with their thoughts and feelings. Being in the attachment triad (3, 6, 9), average to unhealthy 9s compartmentalize their centers (head, heart, gut), meaning that as a gut type, they are susceptible to not acting on their feelings and thoughts (contrary to type 8 who over-acts). It's not that they don't have them, they just don't always follow them. That is their sloth.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
For me hmmm my pain avoidance shows in hmmm I push away the negative and numb my feelings out its like a sort of internal pain killer I have like when I don't feel good I take a nap, watch something I love, do something that makes me feel at ease e.t.c until it passes over.

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It’s like, let’s say I’m angry at the (adult) kids because they’re not cleaning up after themselves. I’m angry. I acknowledge the anger. But, if I say something, it will just cause more problems “I didnt make that mess, my sister did.” If I call them out, then I’m calling them a liar and perhaps the sister did make the mess. I didn’t see it. Would I punish the wrong person? That’s unacceptable.
I’ll go and lecture the other kids, but everyone blames someone else.
I throw my hands in the air. Let the house rot into the ground then, I don’t care.

It’s easier to bury my head in the sand and retreat to my own corner than to cause tension.

Now, let’s say I have a wound in my mouth. A canker sore or whatever. It will drive me bananas because I know it’s there. I’ll put salt on a finger and keep my finger over the wound. It burns like the dickens but I love it. It’s a “pleasant” pain. That does make me feel better.
Yet, if I accidentally picked up a bottle of salt water and swished it in my mouth, I would get close to passing out from that “unbearable” pain. No, stupid Brain. It just took me by surprise and triggered my syncope.
If I knew it was salt water ahead of time, I would have the pain pleasurable :rolleyes:

Pain is multi-layer and very subjective.