• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 4] Type 4 in Type 1 clothing?

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I seem to do threads like these often, the "what the hell am I?" topics. One of the weirdest things that happens when I take the Enneagram type surveys is that I end up getting strong marks for type 4, and type 1 as well. Some surveys show that I am stronger in type 1, others I end up as a type 4. In theory one would get strong marks in either type 3 or type 5 alongside a 4, but I ended up with type 1 for second place.

I had concluded earlier this week that I'm a type 4, and I find 90% of the information presented in the type 4 description suits me. Likewise, I find that about 90% of the information in the type 1 description suits me too. I'm confused as to which type I might really be. If only there was a number that applied for being sensitive, imaginative, intuitive, individualistic, being a fighter for good will towards humanity, holding true to your values, yet being deeply interested in science and the pursuit of knowledge and educating people.

I'm confused and curious at the same time. Got any ideas? Thanks! :)

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Since 90% of 4 is 3.6 and 90% of 1 is 0.9, then you're a 4.5 :)

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Since 90% of 4 is 3.6 and 90% of 1 is 0.9, then you're a 4.5 :)

Hey, that number works! :D It's a combination of type 5 intellectualism and type 4 romanticism.

surgery

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Four
Four stacks - the enneagram ...info from the underground

Social/Self-preserving

This subtype can mimic type One when it comes to social values. They can be harsh critics of the current mores. They have romantic ideals of what the world should be like; reality always falls short. Ironically, this type can be the most withdrawn of the Fours. Social anxiety combines with the Four's shame issues to make this type feel that the pressure associated with "fitting in" is just not worth it. They are also the most likely of the Fours to intellectualize their emotions and in this way resemble type Five.

The social instinct tends to give the personality a focus on being included, fitting in, or finding a way to make a valued contribution. This agenda conflicts with the Four's sense of being "different from" or "other than." The Four's need to establish a separate identity conflicts with the social instinct's drive towards inclusion. The social Four often deals with this dilemma by defining themselves as being outside the social system. By defining themselves always in terms of the system, even if it is to establish distance, this Four stays essentially tied to it. Fours with the social/self-pres stacking tend to acutely feel a sense of social shame at not quite belonging.

When this subtype is reasonably healthy, they are often gifted critics of the prevailing culture. They develop true insight into social dynamics and have an eye for the nuances and subtleties of social interactions. Many Four writers are soc/self.

Enneagram Central - Subtype Four Social

The perception that I am wrong inside is only slightly different from the One's inner critical voice. The difference is that Ones are critical of everything, Fours are critical largely of themselves. But both Fours and Ones have the nasty perceptual habit of comparing reality to what should be. This habit costs Fours some important relationships. In the case of social Fours, it makes them social critics and makes them critical of social norms. At times this can give them permission to do things that are immoral because they don't care about social injunctions. They then tend not to like working for organizations or belonging to institutions. And if they do belong, they can be highly critical.

Perhaps it's a stretch, but it's a possibility. Also,

Fours and Ones are both oriented towards an ideal, although the One's ideal generally has a moral torque whereas the Four's is more aesthetic and personal. Both can also have perfectionistic streaks. But Fours tend to be self-absorbed, and, when stressed, become self-indulgent and more emotionally expressive, whereas Ones under stress become increasingly self-denying and emotionally repressed.

The relentless pursuit of perfection can take its toll and lead to depression. At such times a One can mistype as a Four. But Fours have a tendency towards self-indulgence when unhappy, whereas Ones are self-denying. Fours are comfortable feeling deep emotions; Ones are decidedly not. Too messy.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This subtype can mimic type One when it comes to social values. They can be harsh critics of the current mores. They have romantic ideals of what the world should be like; reality always falls short. Ironically, this type can be the most withdrawn of the Fours. Social anxiety combines with the Four's shame issues to make this type feel that the pressure associated with "fitting in" is just not worth it. They are also the most likely of the Fours to intellectualize their emotions and in this way resemble type Five.

The social instinct tends to give the personality a focus on being included, fitting in, or finding a way to make a valued contribution. This agenda conflicts with the Four's sense of being "different from" or "other than." The Four's need to establish a separate identity conflicts with the social instinct's drive towards inclusion. The social Four often deals with this dilemma by defining themselves as being outside the social system. By defining themselves always in terms of the system, even if it is to establish distance, this Four stays essentially tied to it. Fours with the social/self-pres stacking tend to acutely feel a sense of social shame at not quite belonging.

When this subtype is reasonably healthy, they are often gifted critics of the prevailing culture. They develop true insight into social dynamics and have an eye for the nuances and subtleties of social interactions. Many Four writers are soc/self.

This really nails it on the head. Very relevant, and yes, I intellectualize my emotions constantly!

The perception that I am wrong inside is only slightly different from the One's inner critical voice. The difference is that Ones are critical of everything, Fours are critical largely of themselves. But both Fours and Ones have the nasty perceptual habit of comparing reality to what should be. This habit costs Fours some important relationships. In the case of social Fours, it makes them social critics and makes them critical of social norms. At times this can give them permission to do things that are immoral because they don't care about social injunctions. They then tend not to like working for organizations or belonging to institutions. And if they do belong, they can be highly critical.
Parts of this sound familiar. I am my own worst self-critic. Now while I wouldn't break the law or anything, I tend to be quite critical of the government. I also like critiquing how society treats people that are different from others, such as racial profiling, anything related to feminism, gay rights movement. I choose not to be affiliated with a particular political party cos I'm not a fan of either of them. Likewise, I find it hard to find my niche in terms of religion, cos it would be heresy if I said to them that I thought the theory of evolution was plausible. Not that I'd want to be a part of something that I couldn't freely think and express myself.

Fours and Ones are both oriented towards an ideal, although the One's ideal generally has a moral torque whereas the Four's is more aesthetic and personal. Both can also have perfectionistic streaks. But Fours tend to be self-absorbed, and, when stressed, become self-indulgent and more emotionally expressive, whereas Ones under stress become increasingly self-denying and emotionally repressed.

More personal/aesthetic drive here. I'm more of a self-perfectionist. When under stress, I tend to become much more emotional, write dark poetry, wallow in self-pity. It's like a storm, it starts off calm, but then I pop. I try to hold it in, but it never succeeds.

The relentless pursuit of perfection can take its toll and lead to depression. At such times a One can mistype as a Four. But Fours have a tendency towards self-indulgence when unhappy, whereas Ones are self-denying. Fours are comfortable feeling deep emotions; Ones are decidedly not. Too messy.

Yep, more comfortable with emotions. I find denying emotions holds me back too much, I feel repressed that way.

Thanks for posting this! It's been quite helpful so then I can figure out if I'm really a type 4. I definitely can say that I am a type 4. :)