• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 6] Enneagram 6

lunalove

MBTI Type
ENF
Enneagram
6w5
What is your MBTI type? I'm a 6w5 and I'm still trying to determine my MBTI type (I'm think I'm pretty close...but then I'm a doubter after all...so it's hard to feel like I've nailed it!) :p I flirt between NFJ and NFP.

I would have made a poll, but I don't know how, so please simply tell me what your ennea number is, what your MBTI type is, and why you believe that is the case for you. The more details/descriptions the better. Thanks! :) luna~

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I claim to be an INFP 6w7 sp/so, but people say that that just doesn't work. I realize it is unlikely. I thought I might be able to get away with INFP though, because The Enneagram Institute informed me:

Sixes correspond to Jung's introverted feeling type. Even though they belong to the Thinking Center, Sixes are also emotional because their feelings are affected by anxiety.

I am not sure how scholarly credible the site is (I have been conscious of this lately what with all the "folk typology" noise) but as far as the internet goes, they seem pretty established. Even so, I probably am an ENFP, BUT my first instinct is to be introverted. I usually start off very shy, and once the danger scan has been done, the extroverted functions are then given the okay to emerge from their hidey-hole. Which reminds me of my first high school dance. I brought Crime and Punishment "just in case" and spent the first hour hiding in a corner, observing my sweaty, libidinous peers. After I recognized some people I knew well and grasped the situation I made a few jokes and eased my way in. I ended up going rather berserk dancing with many girls (and guys) and performing a humorous pole dance with many a pelvic undulation. I was a "slow to warm up" child as they say in childhood development books. To be fair, I suppose that was only a few years ago, so I shouldn't act too "back in the day" about the experience.

I am not sure if that sounds very INFP, but my concept of ENFP is that they are ready for anything and are quick to adapt. This is not me. I become a very good improviser when allowed to warm-up, get comfortable, let go of my self-consciousness. My theatre teacher says I am very hot and cold, in keeping with this thermal theme, because I swing between the poles of shy/self-conscious and outrageously boisterous and improvisational. I am probably overthinking it, but I just don't know how to reoncile my enneagram with my Myers-Briggs. I suspect I have one of them typed wrong, but I just don't see myself as an INFP/4 or an ENFP/6w7.

I feel like it's just an XNFP question. I am definitely an F, because my thinking is almost exclusively people-oriented, and I always feel so traitorous using Fe instead of Fi even though I am pretty good with the former. I doubt I am an S, because I am never present (I am actually enrolled in a course to help ground me in present, sensory experience), and I really doubt I have Ni, but maybe that's where I am going wrong. And I am so sure about my Enneagram type, that i find it hard to believe that's what I did wrong. I REALLY identify with 6w7 self pres. Perhaps this is my own lack of self-awareness, but I like to think I am reasonably honest and perceptive on the subject of myself.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i relate to that except backwards...i'm a 7w6 and i think my instinct is to be all out there...but i'm aware of how i'm being perceived so i'll retract or withdraw if it's too much...so i can appear shy or even aloof if i feel unaccepted for whatever reason

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I am an IxFP. I would say I have a pretty well developed intution.. But I can shut it down and not trust it and only believe what I see sometimes even if bells are going off all around me. This tends to happen under stress.
My Enneagram type is 6w5 or 4w5 both describe me quite well.
It's hard to say right now.. because I was introduced to MBTI at a stage where I was experiencing my 1st real existential crisis. I have been somewhat in peices for a while and still not sure quite what is what.. I have listened to my inner critic for far too long and have let the odd person's opinion carry far too much sway.

lunalove

MBTI Type
ENF
Enneagram
6w5
I claim to be an INFP 6w7 sp/so, but people say that that just doesn't work. I realize it is unlikely. I thought I might be able to get away with INFP though, because The Enneagram Institute informed me:

I am not sure how scholarly credible the site is (I have been conscious of this lately what with all the "folk typology" noise) but as far as the internet goes, they seem pretty established. Even so, I probably am an ENFP, BUT my first instinct is to be introverted. I usually start off very shy, and once the danger scan has been done, the extroverted functions are then given the okay to emerge from their hidey-hole. Which reminds me of my first high school dance. I brought Crime and Punishment "just in case" and spent the first hour hiding in a corner, observing my sweaty, libidinous peers. After I recognized some people I knew well and grasped the situation I made a few jokes and eased my way in. I ended up going rather berserk dancing with many girls (and guys) and performing a humorous pole dance with many a pelvic undulation. I was a "slow to warm up" child as they say in childhood development books. To be fair, I suppose that was only a few years ago, so I shouldn't act too "back in the day" about the experience.

From what I've read on this site and in general, no one can tell you what your type is...only you can know that :) If you're a 6w7 and you feel more INFP...who's to say it's not possible? Have you studied up on extroverted vs. introverted? I thought I was introverted until I met Orange Appled! She set me straight :) I have a lot of seemingly introverted tendencies...but when I compare my behavior with hers (and hubby who is a definite introvert), I see that I'm a shy, withdrawing, and quiet extrovert! It probably has a lot to do with low self esteem and my 5 wing! And major life changing experiences. But at my core...I believe I am an extrovert...just a more introverted one :)

I am not sure if that sounds very INFP, but my concept of ENFP is that they are ready for anything and are quick to adapt. This is not me. I become a very good improviser when allowed to warm-up, get comfortable, let go of my self-consciousness. My theatre teacher says I am very hot and cold, in keeping with this thermal theme, because I swing between the poles of shy/self-conscious and outrageously boisterous and improvisational. I am probably overthinking it, but I just don't know how to reoncile my enneagram with my Myers-Briggs. I suspect I have one of them typed wrong, but I just don't see myself as an INFP/4 or an ENFP/6w7.

This makes me wonder if perhaps NFP is in fact not my type? I am not ready for anything! There's so much to learn here...it's hard to get a grip on all the info. I feel like I still don't understand the difference between NFJ and NFP well enough to type myself! As far as the enneagram goes, I'd love to know why you have considered 4w5 and 6w7. I know the enneagram better than MBTI...so if I can help at all, please let me know! :)

I feel like it's just an XNFP question. I am definitely an F, because my thinking is almost exclusively people-oriented, and I always feel so traitorous using Fe instead of Fi even though I am pretty good with the former. I doubt I am an S, because I am never present (I am actually enrolled in a course to help ground me in present, sensory experience), and I really doubt I have Ni, but maybe that's where I am going wrong. And I am so sure about my Enneagram type, that i find it hard to believe that's what I did wrong. I REALLY identify with 6w7 self pres. Perhaps this is my own lack of self-awareness, but I like to think I am reasonably honest and perceptive on the subject of myself.

So interesting! :) I am also reasonably honest and perceptive...at least I have been told as much :blush: Can I ask what else makes you think you're a 6w7? (Please ignore me if you don't feel like sharing!) :)

Thanks for responding! :)

lunalove

MBTI Type
ENF
Enneagram
6w5
i relate to that except backwards...i'm a 7w6 and i think my instinct is to be all out there...but i'm aware of how i'm being perceived so i'll retract or withdraw if it's too much...so i can appear shy or even aloof if i feel unaccepted for whatever reason

It makes me sad that you have to change yourself for others. :( I love your energy!! It may not be who I am or at a level I am comfortable with for myself, but I think your positive energy is so raw and fun! :) You are obviously very creative and upbeat! I think that's a great way to be and to see the world! :) (Hope you don't mind my 2 cents!)

lunalove

MBTI Type
ENF
Enneagram
6w5
I am an IxFP. I would say I have a pretty well developed intution.. But I can shut it down and not trust it and only believe what I see sometimes even if bells are going off all around me. This tends to happen under stress.
My Enneagram type is 6w5 or 4w5 both describe me quite well.
It's hard to say right now.. because I was introduced to MBTI at a stage where I was experiencing my 1st real existential crisis. I have been somewhat in peices for a while and still not sure quite what is what.. I have listened to my inner critic for far too long and have let the odd person's opinion carry far too much sway.

I'm sorry to hear about your crisis :hug: how did you handle it, if I may ask? Have you considered that this may give you some insight into your type? :)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It makes me sad that you have to change yourself for others. :( I love your energy!! It may not be who I am or at a level I am comfortable with for myself, but I think your positive energy is so raw and fun! :) You are obviously very creative and upbeat! I think that's a great way to be and to see the world! :) (Hope you don't mind my 2 cents!)
aww that's sweet of you to say but...it's fine. it's not often i find myself in that sort of company...but i can be quite weird and silly and some people are just more conservative...it's fine really. :hug:

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
I'm right on the border of 5/6, though I identify as 6w5, and I'm INTP, with the P>J slight enough that INTX might be accurate. I don't know a lot about enneagram, but my understanding is that 6 can translate to just about any MBTI type.

lunalove

MBTI Type
ENF
Enneagram
6w5
I'm right on the border of 5/6, though I identify as 6w5, and I'm INTP, with the P>J slight enough that INTX might be accurate. I don't know a lot about enneagram, but my understanding is that 6 can translate to just about any MBTI type.

Thanks :) I have read that as well...that we can be any type? I was just curious to hear from others and get a sense of why they might feel they identify with an MBTI type. I was hoping it might give me a sense of how 6' relate to the different MBTI types :)

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
So interesting! :) I am also reasonably honest and perceptive...at least I have been told as much :blush: Can I ask what else makes you think you're a 6w7? (Please ignore me if you don't feel like sharing!) :)

Thanks for responding! :)

Uh, you're welcome. What makes me think I am a 6w7.

This is a great description I identify with strongly:

6w7s are more insecure and look for guidance and support from others. They look for people who can supply them with the bearings necessary to handle life's obstacles. They are more self-questioning and doubt their ability to find security in the world on their own. They tend to "weigh" their opinions with others. They interact with what's around them to make sure they are on the right track. They are more open and quicker to trust others. They are enthusiastic and friendly. They are less likely to say unequivocally they are right and others are wrong. When they challenge people they rarely employ a sustained scrutiny like 6w5s do. They go out of their way to show they aren't threatening which 6w5s often consider weakness. Being tough and protective yet flexible and openly vulnerable makes them endearing and likeable. They have a talent for rallying others around them when they bring attention to someone being mistreated.

6w7s are less focused and more distractable than 6w5s. They have a disorganized all-over-the-mapness with how they get all their ideas out. They are not as worried about being imprecise as they feel relieved just to be able to empty everything they were considering out of their hyperactive mind. They hurredly put down their thoughts as fast as they can for fear of leaving something about like jotting down their dreams before they forget them. They list all their points even the most anecdotal ones just in case. They want to be on the safe side as they are never quite certain about things. While 6w7s are more scattered than 6w5s they can come up with creative ideas that may be missed by more structured thinking.

6w7s want everything around them to fit nicely with their constructed safe reality. They want to be happy and content in addition to finding something strong and stable. They externalize their ambivalence and exhibit more contradictory behavior than 6w5s. They trust either too little or too much, rarely just right. When they find safety they mistrust it as too good to be true and give off mixed signals which in turn makes others uneasy with their unpredictability. Their contradictory traits and hamster-wheeling stem from doubt of themselves which drives their need for loyalty. They have push-pull tendencies from both not wanting to feel dependent on others and also not wanting to alienate them. They want to be independent with a safety net. They aren't sure how others feel about them and periodically need to be the center of attention for fear of being abandoned. They are more like divas with their flair for the dramatic. They fear being unable to cope in life and are more likely to have a victim mentality. Unlike 6w5s the last thing they want is distance. They are more demonstrative but also more masochistic and self-hating. Even if they are wrong they just want someone to be on their side and not be judgemental. Reassurance is most effective and therefore easiest to trust. They also want empathy and understanding. Honest criticism can come later once they have stopped overreacting and cooled down. In the meantime they want others to work things through with them. If they locate the source of anxiety within themselves instead of their enviornment they start to feel grounded.

6w7s are more awed and apalled than 6w5s. They are more easily startled. They vascillate between feeling excited and catastrophic thinking. They are most prone to thinking so much they fake themselves out. When their thinking center is "short-circuited" they think they are more rational than they really are. Their cognition can cause them to feel different about others from one moment to the next, as well as fear others feel equally ambivalent about them. They can swing from very nice to very challenging and vice versa. They are more hamstrung by their anxiety and frequently feel "something just came over them". When there is hardly any danger they are surprised at how much of what is buried inside them comes out. They want badly to quell their hyperactive mind from hamsterwheeling through harmful future scenarios but nothing seems to stay reliable or predictable long enough to relax with. They are like children who are gripped by fear of their own shadows and are grateful for anyone who can set them free. When there is serious danger paradoxically everything is clear and they become calm. Going in they are anything but confident but coming out they are often surprised and proud of their bravery.

More Type 6 - PersonalityCafe

I couldn't describe it any better than that.

underradar

MBTI Type
infp
I'm infp 6w7 also. Never met one in my life really. I wish I can observe other people who
have the same type as me in person. Just want to know what their energy gonna feel like :D Most 6's I met are ENFJ!

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I have a few questions for the 6w5's. I will be taking mental notes.

How do you stop the self doubt and questioning?

Do you feel like a contradiction to yourself due to your thinking?
For example - Friend comes to you with a problem and being both subjective and objective, the advice you give is contradictory to your beliefs but due to compassion toy our friends need, you still give it.

How do you quieten your mind?

Thanks.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ok wtf..I'm a NFP,enneagram 4, but that description of a 6w7 rings *very* true when it comes to how I experience 'making a living' for myself, when I have to compete with others and face the real world. Is there a correlations between these two types? Blackcat?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ok wtf..I'm a NFP,enneagram 4, but that description of a 6w7 rings *very* true when it comes to how I experience 'making a living' for myself, when I have to compete with others and face the real world. Is there a correlations between these two types? Blackcat?

This describes exactly what it is that I see in STJ;) Your shadow. They become very good at hiding and working around it to make it through life. They become so adept at it that they cannot fully encompass the Fi within themselves. The ESTJs are so much in control that this Fi doesnt rear its head, they stay ahead of this. ISTJs though do not control their environment so this rears its head quite a bit more.

Struggling with better wording on the ESxJ, ISxJ
ESTj => to do
ISTj => to be done

They are not as worried about being imprecise as they feel relieved just to be able to empty everything they were considering out of their hyperactive mind. They hurredly put down their thoughts as fast as they can for fear of leaving something about like jotting down their dreams before they forget them. They list all their points even the most anecdotal ones just in case.