• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 6] The Soul Child of type Six - Point Nine

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
(Thanks to Chloee for helping to type up!)

Within every Six is lazy little one - very Nine-ish - who just wants to stay under the covers, doesn't want to go out and face the world, wants only to be comfortable and entertained. Because of this, Sixes are often afraid that if they relax into themselves, they will become inert, never moving or bestirring themselves again; and they fear that they will neglect what they need to in their lives. This is, of course, because hidden from consciousness is this young part that does not want to do anything at all except luxuriate in leisures and distractions. This inner indolence is really the heart of a Six's fear - she is perhaps more afraid of this tendency in herself than of anything else, fearing that if she stops pushing herself with her false will, all will be lost and she will sink into a swamp of laziness. If she is not making efforts, she is afraid that nothing will happen and that her life will go down the tubes.

When a Six courageously allows herself to stop striving and lets herself be, she may initially experience an immobility or lack of desire to do anything at all. In time, the inertia and indolence of her soul child will transform into what it is replicating; the loving holding of Being, a sense of being held in embrace of the Divine, knowing herself to be made up of love and one with all of existence. The sweetness and benevolence of the universe - the dimension of Living Daylight - will become part of her sense of self, and the fear in her soul will gradually subside as she realizes more and more completely her inextrivcable connection to Being. Eventually the whole mind-set of being frightened of others will diseappear as she recognizes that her nature is the same as all that exist, and that all sense of self and other is illusory. Without Being as her inner ground and her perception of its continuity in all outer forms, she has indeed found the rock she can truly stand on.

lunalove

MBTI Type
ENF
Enneagram
6w5
This is great info., Gerbah! :) I'm just wondering, can you give offer some concrete example of how to do this...what you wrote seems vague and intangible. I'm not sure where to begin?

I've been longing to find that inner security myself and your short article feels like the abstract version of what I need to do to get there. Thanks for taking the time to write/share this! :)

luna~~

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
You're welcome :)

If you like this approach the book it's from is called The Spiritual Dimension of the Enneagram by Sandra Maitri.

I'm not a Six myself, but generally, whatever your type, in Enneagram part of getting to inner security is being aware of and accepting Reality as it is, and then finding that it isn't as bad as you thought it would be and it is actually very nice. The core suffering of every type basically centres around an avoidance or fight against some sort of pain. The avoidance or fight though only perpetuates the suffering. When the issue is connected with and fully experienced, it becomes processed and understood, integrated and isn't scary any more because you see it for what it is. Like seeing through an illusion. You can see the trick but it doesn't fool you any more.

The book I took the soul child descriptions from has an Eastern, mystical, holistic view of Reality, or God if you like. That everything is connected to this secure Source, so for example a Six's existential fear for their safety is based on an error in their minds, so if they approach that fear, experience and feel it and see it for what it really is, then they will see the error they made and then be free of that fear, because they will see that we are all essentially safe.

Every type somehow thinks it is not ok, or that something is not ok with how things are. In spiritual Enneagram we are all ok as we are and reality is ok as it is, although it is sometimes painful. But if pain and pleasure, the up and down of life is accepted, your strengths and weaknesses and vulnerabilities are accepted, then we will actually experience the security that is anyway already there. It is about surrendering to the true nature of things and letting go.

Hope that helps. What I said is really brief but if you are interested in that sort of view in combination with the Ennegram, you can look into Maitri's and Almaas' books.

lunalove

MBTI Type
ENF
Enneagram
6w5
Hi Gerbah,

Thanks! i am definitely into this point of view...and it makes a lot of sense to me! :) Does the book discuss each type specifically and give examples of how one can learn to accept reality? For example, does it direct 6's on what they can to do to feel more secure/safe? Or is it more like a general overview of this idea?

Thanks again...have a wonderful day :)

luna~

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Yes, the book covers each type specifically and there are specific examples of issues each type might have, the kind of childhood they probably had, etc. Maitri also wrote another book - The Enneagram of Passions and Virtues. It is similar to the one I already mentioned but focuses on the main virtue and vice of each type. Good luck!

lunalove

MBTI Type
ENF
Enneagram
6w5

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I really like the first post. What is strange about us, 6 that we are at the same time afraid to don't act and afraid to act. This is very struggling! Gerbah, please, how would you explain that?

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Sorry, I didn't see this before.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but it might be to do with the relationship between the Six, who feels alone and over-responsible and so must always be doing, and the inner child Nine. Nines are afraid to act because they they are afraid that once they start, they won't be able to stop (their inner child is a suppressed super achiever Three). I don't know if the fear of acting for a Six feels this way too.