• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 5] The soul child of Type Five - Point Eight

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
(This is not verbatim what is in the book but is the general gist, sometimes paraphrased or rephrased by me to make clearer what might otherwise not be understandable outside of reading it within the context of the whole book, plus a brief summing up at the end.)

The soul child of Type Five is Point Eight. So inside every self-enclosed, withdrawn, quiet Five is an Eight-ish soul child who dreams of getting even and devouring endless pints of ice cream, delights in getting down and dirty, slogging it out with the other kids and lustfully immersing itself in life. This soul child may show up when a Five curses other drivers within the isolation of his/her own car, screams at a referee on TV or condemns politicians as crooks when listening to the news.

A Five's soul child can be a little bully and a bigot, convinced s/he is right and closed to other possibilities. S/he may be defensive and denying about any perceived weakness, reacting with aggression when challenged. S/he can be punitive and vindictive, wanting to get even with others who s/he feels have wronged him/her.

For Fives, these tendencies can be challenging to acknowledge since they betoken a zesty and gutsy engagement in life that appears very threatening. As a child, their wholehearted and passionate engagement in life was not supported for one reason or another. Their vibrancy, aliveness, strength and courage were damped down.

The vindictive and self-avenging tendencies of the soul child when it first appears may be the soul's response to this stifling. In reaction to their vitality not being allowed, Fives withdrew and cut themselves off from it.

If they allow their lusty and dynamic soul child to surface, Fives will gradually reconnect with their aliveness and feel more part of life itself. Knowing and knowledge then become more embodied and inclusive since heart and belly are also involved. Courage to face the unknown is found and life becomes more and more of an exciting and engaging adventure the Five is fully and heartily immersed in.

So when Fives fulfil the need for engagement and involvement of their soul child Eight, they will step out of their isolation and feel the connection and direct experience they miss. This will enrich their type's love of knowledge for they will come to know not only intellectually and theoretically but also gain the understanding that can only come from actual experience.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
This is probably why I think ETJs kick so much ass. My inner soul child!

Thanks for this.

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
i liked that :D it's the 8-year-old tomboy in me :D

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
For me too :yes: My inner 8 feels... angry :steam: The funny thing is I've been told by various people that I'm really pretty when I'm mad :huh: Must be that inner soul child shining through :D

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Soul child? :rolli:

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
and all this time i just thought it was my estp shadow side.

valentine

MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
As much as I wish to immediately dismiss anything labeled 'soul child', I related to more parts of it than not.

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Maitri and her teacher Almaas come out of the context of the 60s and 70s. I think that's the reason for the hippy-ish terms. But yeah, don't be put off by it, there's some good stuff in there.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Note that type 8 is also the "direction of integration" for type 5, meaning that a particularly healthy five will incorporate some characteristics of a healthy type 8.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
So INTP is the archetypal 5, and ENTJ is the archetypal 8.

Does INTP become ENTJ when they become healthy and confident?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
So INTP is the archetypal 5, and ENTJ is the archetypal 8.

Does INTP become ENTJ when they gets healthy?

The ENTJ is the INTP shadow: the functions are the same, but reversed in orientation.

I take this to mean that the INTP becomes more comfortable and more adept at incorporating his shadow processes into his cognition in a healthy manner.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
No, I don't think so.

You only need to be an extrovert to be confident.
The direction of intergration is towards more E, not towards more J.

You say INTP shadow is ENTJ?
Then INFP shadow is ENFJ?

you don't become your shadow when you get healthy, you become more confident. This is especially true for fours and fives.

INTP (5) should learn to become carefree and confident like ESTP (8, 7w8). Like turning your thoughts into action rather than dwelling on introversion and worry about the consequences. This is the direction of growth.

Just like INFP (4) should learn to become more bold and thickskined like ESFP (7, 9).

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This equals true.

My soul child loves food and rollercoasters.