• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 9] 9s that are (I)NT(P)s?

MBTI Type
INFJ
I think my bf is definitely a 9w1, and he says that he is definitely an INTP.
I thougt for long that he can't be an NT because I associated a lot of traits from 9s with what I though to be the ISFP-personality (not knowing much about the enneagramm). But after having read something more in depth about the 9s, I think what I have experienced as very "untypical" behaviour of an INTP can be perfectly explained with him being a 9...
so...I'd just like to know if there are any (I)NT(P)s who are 9s and who have had similar experiences (being more social than other INTs or being more unassertive, harmony-oriented than other NTs etc.)?
I'd really be thankful for any kind of insight.......

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Yeah there are a couple of those weirdos on here. And if I take a test it's usually my second or third highest score.

They seem to be a far more "go with the flow" kind of type, whereas I am a neurotic mess.

Not really sure what you're looking for to be honest.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thougt for long that he can't be an NT because I associated a lot of traits from 9s with what I though to be the ISFP-personality (not knowing much about the enneagramm).

Don't do that. The Enneagram and the MBTI are different systems, not ever made to account for each other, not concerned with the same personality attributes, not structure in a securely compatible way.

Enneagram type does not tell you MB type, and MB type does not tell you Enneagram type.

Now, getting that out of the way, there may, just by undesigned coincidence, be a rough correlation between types (it couldn't be anything other than rough). The MBTI and Enneagram amy to a small extent overlap on things that are closely related. Knowing that, I can't say I'd find a type 9 INTP very strange. Maybe one doesn't think of an NT as being sensitive to conflict, but why not? We can acknowledge that an INTP can be terribly neurotic (so type 6, people say) but can't fear of conflict be from a neurosis itself? Anyhow, it's all more complicated than that anyway.

My enneagram type is more unconventional for an INTP than his, and I can think of a few that would be stranger than mine (2, 3, 7). You you said you expected ISFP. So you can acknowledge why Ji dominance would work for a 9 (and for some reason you think Se is more 9 than Ne?), so all in all, Ti is even that big a leap from Fi.

So in the end it adds up to me.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
FYI: There are a few intp folks on here who have identified as type 9 enneagram.

(Look above this post for one ...)

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's embarrassing. That was supposed to be a "can't". It's too easy to mean opposite things with one or two characters in this language.

Awww... we can still fight.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
My old best friend was an INTP 9w1, so be sure they exist :) I don't think all traits of 9 fit her, but the overall description is definitely her. She was extremely laid-back and easy-going. Being with her always calmed me down and cheered me up. I wouldn't describe her as a harmony-seeker, but unassertive she certainly was, and extremely so. She was rather just watching people with amusement and didn't even try to get involved with them, as if she was fine with being "invisible". In fact her parents were always putting their own needs before hers and they treated her as if she didn't even have any personal feelings and wishes, so she sort of forgot how to express them altogether. It definitely didn't mean she didn't have them, though.

MBTI Type
INFJ
My old best friend was an INTP 9w1, so be sure they exist :) I don't think all traits of 9 fit her, but the overall description is definitely her. She was extremely laid-back and easy-going. Being with her always calmed me down and cheered me up. I wouldn't describe her as a harmony-seeker, but unassertive she certainly was, and extremely so. She was rather just watching people with amusement and didn't even try to get involved with them, as if she was fine with being "invisible". In fact her parents were always putting their own needs before hers and they treated her as if she didn't even have any personal feelings and wishes, so she sort of forgot how to express them altogether. It definitely didn't mean she didn't have them, though.

That really sound a lot like my bf...... he is not as harmony-oriented as I am, but still very conflict avoiding (?)..... my bf's parents never talked about wishes, feelings, motivations etc. with him, and this in combination with his unassertiveness is some kind of hard to me (my parents ALWAYS talked about everything...way too much even)....I try to get him out of his shell, but it's kind of hard sometimes. because he also doesn't mind being "invisible" :). however, sometimes I want to be asked, too....I am assertive, but also have an responding-communication-style.....
however, he is also extremely easy-going which is a good contrast and helps me to come down very often :).....