• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 7] 7w8 vs 7w6?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
huh. this thread is making me reconsider.

my little brother (15 yo INTP) took an enneagram test at school, and when i picked him up from school, he informed me that i am definitely an 8. except then, he also tested as a 3, and he's totally a 5w4. (i later had him take an online test and he came out 5 and agreed).

i don't really think i'm a w8, but it's worth a little research. *runs off to explore 7w8*

--

edit - oh wait.

Lady X said:
i realized that i get all assertive and confrontational when protecting or standing up for someone or some idea...which seems to be a more loyalist motivation.

me too. i Te bitchslap when i feel like someone/thing is getting unfairly attacked (including myself, lol). i relate to 6 insecurity, too. i dunno. i just don't feel as comfortable with 3w4ness as i do with ENFPness, and it makes me wonder. i feel like i have some kind of anti-4 gut reaction, but i'm definitely not a 3w2. supposedly you move into developing your wing later in life but i feel like i related to 4ness a lot more as a child, but don't really any longer. maybe the strength in relationships and emotional matters i feel is not really w4 or the stability of 3 but is really sx/so. argh. but then i am so image-conscious that it's hard to imagine not being a 3. the enneagram makes me want to hurt kittens. (ok not really. :cry:)

though - it's fascinating to me that my brother and i have both thought that we were 3s, also, regardless of whether i'm a 3 or not. from the outside i cannot see any 3 in him but maybe from the inside he feels that way. i suspect our upbringing and environment has something to do with this.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you're playful around others like a 7, but you do so for your own amusement, then you're probably a w8. (aggressive humour)
If you're a playful person like a 7, but you do so to amuse others, then you're probably a w6. (friendly humour)

ENTPs are good examples of 7w8, ENFPs are good examples of 7w6.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I think that I am a 7w6, as opposed to a 7w8. Are there any other ways to tell the difference??

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
An eight-wing ratchets up the intensity and lust factor about 10 notches. It also makes your personality more expansive and commanding, less intellectual and more aggressive. 7w6's tend to be more committed and faithful, intellectual, and their charm is zany rather than larger-than-life.

7w6's are extremely light and witty. Between the 6w7's, make up the vast majority of comedians. There is a subtle undercurrent of panicky anxiety running through their banter. However, the six wing is very feisty, so don't assume that it makes you a pushover. The difference is that 6 is defensive and fear-based, 8 is offensive and anger-based.

7w6's are afraid to be alone and often have a softer, vulnerable side, like mischievous but kind-hearted children. They can be a bit neurotic with the six wing, ridden by guilt and negative projections, when unhealthy. 7w8's are much more independent, practical, aggressive and hard, though their upbeat 7 nature masks some of the 8 wing's storminess. The 7w6 finesses and tricks people/authority to get what they want, 7w8's are much more likely bull their way through and not care about hurting people's feelings, going against social norms. 7w8's are mentally stimulated by confrontations, 7w6's don't mind a good debate, but their six wings makes them more likely to want to just get along. They often avoid expressing anger. 7w8's are even more generous than 7w6's, although they are a bit more narcissistic and have a lower frustration tolerance.

7w6's like to think of themselves as having more substance than the typical, shallow 7 stereotype, who don't have a care in the world. Meanwhile, 7w8's embrace their image as the life of the party.

The biggest difference is that 7w8's are grounded in the gut center, so they aren't as prone to being avoidant and fear-driven.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
7w8 is basically most ENTPs and co. :D

As for 7w8 being any less intellectual than 7w6, I disagree. That just shows a misunderstanding of what intellect is. If you mean that 7w6 has more Openness than a 7w8, that might be the case but ONLY in the facet of Emotionality, 1 out of 6 different kinds of Openness.

Chloe

MWAHAHAHA!!! My fault?

:D Its only heaven's fault, dont worry my dear :D

-god made enneagram. people are spoling it. because he gave us free will. a free will to spoil enneagram-

:(

jk.. i have a god-fix these days, disregard :D

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
7w8 is basically most ENTPs and co. :D

As for 7w8 being any less intellectual than 7w6, I disagree. That just shows a misunderstanding of what intellect is. If you mean that 7w6 has more Openness than a 7w8, that might be the case but ONLY in the facet of Emotionality, 1 out of 6 different kinds of Openness.

I apologize, what I meant is more ruled by the head center. I wasn't trying to say they are more logical, intelligent, etc.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Did you decide on a type... and stick with it LadyX?

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
A 7w6 can be assertive but it is much more calculated. Meaning that you weigh your options on how to deal with things and there are no problems with non directly confrontational methods or sugaring a confrontation to make it more socially palatable. I read the 7w6 description and I can identify with it - many comedians are 7w6 like Ellen Degeneres. I consider myself to be a casual comedian. I think Ellen Degeneres is a good iconic 7w6 to get a feel for what that means. Humor is a prime example of diffusing confrontations or making something more palatable or the observational bent of a '6' supporting the fun loving nature of a 7. Being a '6' wing, you flip to extremes of being anxious to pre-emptively attacking a potential threat. It just depends on the situation. An 8 would not "equivocate" or avoid or disperse or deflect, and '8' wing is more cut and dried instinctively 'attack, attack, attack'. While I would *like* to be more of an 8 and 'attack, attack, attack' the 7w6 or just plain 7 description resonate much more with me. With a 6, gut instinct approaching situations is to be careful/observant and ready to attack if necessary, it's more a *vigilance* or a 'how will I *react* to this?'. With an 8, they don't have to think or plan it and they aren't necessarily 'careful' they know they will re/act instinctively in the moment (go on attack/attack/attack).

At least, that's how I understood it.

FWIW LadyX, I never got an 8 vibe from you, at least not on the forum. I would have guessed you were 7w6 rather than 7w8. Having said that, did you decide? :D

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't get the "attack, attack, attack" bit. Expand ma chérie?

Do you mean as in action?

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Certainly my German Briish friend!

I meant it both in action and intent, but not necessarily literally 'to [physically/aggresively] attack'. It's just that with an 8 there is a much more direct and immediate response/approach to the world and even other people. Enneagram is fear based and a 6 and 8 may seem to have similar fears, 6 being fear for one's safety whereas an 8 is fear of being weak. That is a significant but subtle difference. A 6 doesn't have the ego need to be seen as (conventionally) strong but an 8 does. For the 'attack' analogy, a 6 won't care as much how they get what they want (not in terms of ethics, I mean in terms of attack/avoid/pre-empt, etc.) as long as they get what they want. For an 8, I think part of the fear/ego of that type is they need to get what they want because they got it directly and they pushed down whatever was standing in their way and that whoever is standing in their way (and observers) all know it, too.

The thing that can trip some people up about their wing is that a 6 can behave in the same way as an 8 (direct, conquer) - but only in certain situations. Not all the time. An 8 will re/act like this all the time.

I've also used the analogy "bull in a china shop" to describe an 8. An 8 cannot change their nature "to be strong". A 6 is situational.

Those are just my theories anyhow.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Bull in a china shop was me as a kid :blush: what you wrote makes sense. I always struggle with the aspects of the 8 wing that relate to aggressiveness and even more so those that relate to having a base of anger, maybe the E7 desire to strive for fun dulls those parts out, the desire to be strong clicks.

Oh, and that's from your Occa Ozzie mate! :D were you funnin' me with the briish bit? o-O

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Oh, and that's from your Occa Ozzie mate! :D were you funnin' me with the briish bit? o-O

...At least I didn't call you a Kiwi? :alttongue:

I was going to mention an 'anger base' for 8 but not sure if Enneagram says that anger is part of the 8. I do have a friend who I now figure is ENTP and either an 8 or 8 wing (some kind of 7/8) and she had straight up anger management issues when we were younger to the point I stopped talking to her. She was very sensitive to the idea of people not respecting her basically and she would blow up and over-react to things often IMHO in a very angry confrontational way. When I got reacquainted with her years later she seemed SO mellowed out but she still has that abrasive edge to her and the idea that people are not respecting her still sets her off. I thought it was just me because I have known her since adolescence so maybe I was just seeing the abrasiveness from teen years peeking through but a few other people who have met her more recently commented similarly that she has an abrasiveness to her.

I think she is an extreme example of an 'aggressive 8'. But, a pretty good example of an ENTP with an adventurous spirit.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
...At least I didn't call you a Kiwi? :alttongue:

I was going to mention an 'anger base' for 8 but not sure if Enneagram says that anger is part of the 8. I do have a friend who I now figure is ENTP and either an 8 or 8 wing (some kind of 7/8) and she had straight up anger management issues when we were younger to the point I stopped talking to her. She was very sensitive to the idea of people not respecting her basically and she would blow up and over-react to things often IMHO in a very angry confrontational way. When I got reacquainted with her years later she seemed SO mellowed out but she still has that abrasive edge to her and the idea that people are not respecting her still sets her off. I thought it was just me because I have known her since adolescence so maybe I was just seeing the abrasiveness from teen years peeking through but a few other people who have met her more recently commented similarly that she has an abrasiveness to her.

I think she is an extreme example of an 'aggressive 8'. But, a pretty good example of an ENTP with an adventurous spirit.

I think we need to stop confusing 'anger' for 'aggression'. Most 7w8 ENTPs are 'aggressive' in that they are always trying to get one up on the opposition and even beat them into submission, but they're not necessarily 'angry', even seeing the loss of temper as a sign of weakness.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
^definitely. 8s have passion and are assertive, but losing one's temper is a sign of weakness. And 8s don't want to be weak, they want to be strong.