• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 7] 7w8 vs 7w6?

Mindstream

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
7w8 is basically most ENTPs and co. :D

As for 7w8 being any less intellectual than 7w6, I disagree. That just shows a misunderstanding of what intellect is. If you mean that 7w6 has more Openness than a 7w8, that might be the case but ONLY in the facet of Emotionality, 1 out of 6 different kinds of Openness.

Whata re the 6 different kinds of openness? Where can I be referred to this information? Are the different kinds of openness related to each enneatype?

Onceajoan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
I think we need to stop confusing 'anger' for 'aggression'. Most 7w8 ENTPs are 'aggressive' in that they are always trying to get one up on the opposition and even beat them into submission, but they're not necessarily 'angry', even seeing the loss of temper as a sign of weakness.

I think this is correct based on my very small sample set of 7w8 ENTP. Sevens like to "be happy" and don't like strong emotional displays. "Don't worry, be happy" is the Seven motto. As thinking types, Sevens stay in their heads unlike Eights who are gut types.

On the other hand, Eights do get angry and they do lose their temper. They often act without thinking about the consequences of their actions, if they're unhealthy. Eights are aggressive and domineering. They go after what they want.

I know a 7w8 ENTP who is happy and easy going most of time. Spends his days at work freely socializing and joking with colleagues. You would never perceive him as an aggressor or a threat. But, he is. In any meeting where there are high stakes, he will push back in an extremely aggressive manner which may include joking, sarcasm, playful digging and banter. His desire to win over his opponent is passionate. His emails can be extremely cutting. While I would think his colleagues would never want to speak to him again after I've heard what he's said to them, apparently it's not a problem. He has a way with words that puts others in their place. And it's a game to him to come up with the right strategy - it's a head game for the Seven. So while this behavior is aggressive like an Eight, the approach is much more like a Seven - playful, witty -
an intellectual challenge. It's usually not about anger unless his ego is bruised - if others have tried to sabotage him or badmouth him (especially in a public forum such as a high powered meeting).

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I think we need to stop confusing 'anger' for 'aggression'. Most 7w8 ENTPs are 'aggressive' in that they are always trying to get one up on the opposition and even beat them into submission, but they're not necessarily 'angry', even seeing the loss of temper as a sign of weakness.

I didn't say anger and aggression were synonymous or that 8's were necessarily angry. I was responding to Trin's comment about her own 8 wing and actions stemming from a 'base of anger'. As I said, I don't think anger is part of the core description or motivations of an 8 but I can definitely see how it can manifest the actions of an 8 more so than in say a 7 or 6. Aggressiveness is not necessarily born from anger, and an 8 is not necessarily an 'angry person' or prone to angry outbursts, however I don't think it's a surprise that there are 8 and 8 wings who either deal with anger internally to a greater level than other types or who express it more often.

I dunno, it's also a really fine line colloquially (outside of typology) what 'anger' means. 'Disapproval' becomes 'anger' if expressed loudly or critically enough and 'angry person' is used as a synonym for 's/he's a jerk'. :p

I didn't say anger and aggression were synonymous or that 8's were necessarily angry. I was responding to Trin's comment about her own 8 wing and actions stemming from a 'base of anger'. As I said, I don't think anger is part of the core description or motivations of an 8 but I can definitely see how it can manifest the actions of an 8 more so than in say a 7 or 6. Aggressiveness is not necessarily born from anger, and an 8 is not necessarily an 'angry person' or prone to angry outbursts, however I don't think it's a surprise that there are 8 and 8 wings who either deal with anger internally to a greater level than other types or who express it more often.

I dunno, it's also a really fine line colloquially (outside of typology) what 'anger' means. 'Disapproval' becomes 'anger' if expressed loudly or critically enough and 'angry person' is used as a synonym for 's/he's a jerk'. :p

Edit:
Nevermind, I redact this ^^

I didn't want to mention 'anger' as a core part of the type 8 because I'm aware of stereotypes and the splitting of hairs when it comes to attributing what action to what motive. And I wasn't certain I had read anything about anger and type 8s making it official...but I had this feeling I had...So I dug around some more and here is the excerpt from an enneagram website 'Ennegream in the Electronic : http://enneagram-instrument.org/3centers.htm. It is discussing the triads or 3 Centers of Intelligence for the types. And yes, you have to take the terms in a typology sense not in a colloquial sense. Just like how Enneagram is centered around primal fears, doesn't mean that everyone is timid or fearful in the street sense, it is talking about 'primal fear' or 'existential fear' or ...bah, forget it, I'm mangling my thoughts. Here's the excerpt!

The Physical Type
The core emotional issue for the physical types is anger. As such, anger originates in the body and finds expression in various ways.
Point nine on the enneagram was said to be the most out of touch with anger. Because of this, nines are passive-aggressive and want to do anything they can to avoid the direct expressing of their anger. While they are extremely nice people, they tend to be terribly self-forgetting and merge with others' points of views.

Point one on the enneagram represents the internalized version of anger. Their anger is addressed at a righteous cause or maintaining a correct posture about important elements in their lives. The ones tend to be perfectionistic about everything they feel, think and do in life.

Point eight on the enneagram represents the point which is most expressive about their anger. Here we have the outspoken leader or boss who can present their anger at a moments notice. They have no qualms about letting out their anger, even if it may be inappropriate behavior.