• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 5] INFP Type 5?

Chloe

5 is common type for INFPs. I know INFP often can be 9,4,3,5 and 8. and it's not info from some guy on the internet!!!

ScentlessApprentice

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5-4
Most contradictory, perhaps, I can be either overly subjective/empathetic (e.g. with serial killers) or calm/objective in a tense situation. I guess that I should clarify that much of my empathy is rooted in my belief that everyone deserves love equally (and even if one is "bad" or "evil", I find it fascinating, which is worthy of love alone).

I feel exactly the same way, it's very very confusing I must say.

Rachel

MBTI Type
INFX
Enneagram
5w4
It seems so contradictory to be an INFP and a Type 5 but I *always* test as 5w4 (though my 4 and 5 scores are just about equal).

While I can relate to feelings of guilt and shame and many of the unhealthy 4 levels, I am alien to the feelings of emotional attachment (to other people) and more-so feel myself as an "outer power" (almost inhuman). Rather than feeling elite, I feel below other humans (I feel, instead, that I should serve or simply observe them).

I feed off my melancholic and ecstatic emotions ("the world is beautiful, I must sob") alike but, at a certain point, they overwhelm me and I must detach myself.

Most contradictory, perhaps, I can be either overly subjective/empathetic (e.g. with serial killers) or calm/objective in a tense situation. I guess that I should clarify that much of my empathy is rooted in my belief that everyone deserves love equally (and even if one is "bad" or "evil", I find it fascinating, which is worthy of love alone).

I will add that I'm most definitely an INFP but am pretty near T and J.

So, I've read/heard that INFPs can only be mistyped as 5. Do you think that this is true, just a general rule, what?

(Sorry for the rambling, I felt I should elaborate why I'm confused - I don't know much about the Enneagram in relation to MBTI)

I am an INFj (low j) 5w4 i can relate to almost everything you've said here, especially the areas in bold.

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
Yeah, I'm definitely an INFP type 5. Not nearly as familiar with Enneagram as I am with MBTI, but I remember in my results, the 9 was one point away from the 5. So I guess that makes me an INFP 5w9? Is that even possible?

I agree that INFPs can be type 5s, and I think I'm one of them. I think that one of the uses of Fi is awareness of and ability to modify one's own emotional state.

I think that a type 4 INFPs uses Fi to amp up emotional responses, but a type 5 INFP uses Fi to amp it down. Also, a type 5 INFP is more likely to intellectualize and rationalize feelings in order to feel distance from and control of them. Because it's still primarily Fi, it's going to be more subjective and values-informed than an INTP doing the same thing, but it's a similar process.

Also, I don't see the INFP tendency to withdraw from conflict as clashing with the nature of type 5. Our reticence and need to understand fully before presenting things fits well, too.

I can see that it wouldn't the most common typical type for INFPs, though. It certainly doesn't fit with the "whiny emo" stereotype, though.

Yeah this rings very true for me. I definitely distance myself from my emotions when they get too crazy. Certain things like my own value and ethical system I've developed over the years I've taken great care to make it as efficient and logical as possible. So I guess that explains the 5 to a certain extent? Don't know how much more I can contribute without learning more about Enneagrams though..

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
It seems so contradictory to be an INFP and a Type 5 but I *always* test as 5w4 (though my 4 and 5 scores are just about equal).

While I can relate to feelings of guilt and shame and many of the unhealthy 4 levels, I am alien to the feelings of emotional attachment (to other people) and more-so feel myself as an "outer power" (almost inhuman). Rather than feeling elite, I feel below other humans (I feel, instead, that I should serve or simply observe them).

I feed off my melancholic and ecstatic emotions ("the world is beautiful, I must sob") alike but, at a certain point, they overwhelm me and I must detach myself.

I will add that I'm most definitely an INFP but am pretty near T and J.

So, I've read/heard that INFPs can only be mistyped as 5. Do you think that this is true, just a general rule, what?

(Sorry for the rambling, I felt I should elaborate why I'm confused - I don't know much about the Enneagram in relation to MBTI)

Here's a good explenation.

Intellectual Fours tend to mistakenly type themselves as Fives, and a heavy wing can certainly exacerbate this tendency. Fours however, unlike Fives, tend to be self-revealing and comfortable with emotional expression.

INFP's who score on the type 4 type 5 tree is most likely type 4. That includes you and me.. we just so happened to score type 5 because we have strong intellectual pursuits.

ScentlessApprentice

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5-4
Yeah, I'm definitely an INFP type 5. Not nearly as familiar with Enneagram as I am with MBTI, but I remember in my results, the 9 was one point away from the 5. So I guess that makes me an INFP 5w9? Is that even possible?

If you're a type five then you can be a 5w4 or a 5w6. Your wing is either of the two numbers next to yours. If you have a lot of 9 qualities, then you probably have a 9 somewhere in your trifix.

B

brainheart

Yeah I read on here somewhere at some point that if you are an INFP who feels like you don't just quite fit the descriptions- like they're a bit too emotional or dramatic- chances are your enneagram type is not the 'typical' type for INFPs. I would say that's my deal- that's why this whole typing process has been so difficult for me. Likewise, the five in me will not let it go- I have to research and deliberate ad-infinitum until I find the solution. And I think I finally have...
What made me rethink five (which is how I usually test, by the way), was the description of the sexual variant five in The Wisdom of The Enneagram. It fit me way better than the instinctual variant descriptions for four. Not to mention much in the five description in the book was eerily accurate, like they'd been peering in my windows while I was spending six hours in front of a computer, forgetting about all of my bodily needs and social obligations, not to mention avoiding reality.
Also, read my sig. I think it explains a lot.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, INFP and ISFP 5s are quite common. I suspect type 5 in an Fi-dom is the result of experiencing your feelings as rational discourse. A great example of this is Bella's (ISFP, 5w4 sx/so) internal monologue from Twilight.

It surprises me more, in fact, that ENFP 5s appear to be all but nonexistent. I'd have guessed that a detached, jaded ENFP who used Te to analyze could easily be a Five.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess an INFP type 5 have the same need to withdrawn than an IxTx type 5 but for more emotionals reason. They need to withdrawn to deal with their emotions, trying to repress it to not being vulnerable. As investigator, observe the world and seek understanding of it. Possible conflict with inferior Te, trying to control their outside world with efficient and impersonal systems to feel secure and feel allowed to let their emotions move out. Is it the scenario?

It surprises me more, in fact, that ENFP 5s appear to be all but nonexistent. I'd have guessed that a detached, jaded ENFP who used Te to analyze could easily be a Five.

ISFP and ENFP type 5 still, if not unexistent, quite uncommon. Is'nt Patti Smith an ENFP 5w4 (Sx/So)?

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
I suspect type 5 in an Fi-dom is the result of experiencing your feelings as rational discourse.

Yup, this sounds right to me.

I guess an INFP type 5 have the same need to withdrawn than an IxTx type 5 but for more emotionals reason. They need to withdrawn to deal with their emotions, trying to repress it to not being vulnerable. As investigator, observe the world and seek understanding of it. Possible conflict with inferior Te, trying to control their outside world with efficient and impersonal systems to feel secure and feel allowed to let their emotions move out. Is it the scenario?

This sounds about right to me, too. When I withdraw I am dealing with my emotions, but it's not to repress it. Withdrawing allows me to focus and isolate the feelings I'm dealing with so that no additional outside factors can either distract us or add any more emotions into the mix that might confuse things.

I think you may find INFPs who are type 5s may tend to be heavy on the introverted side. This is certainly the case with me.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, that's not possible. Sorry. Wings are adjacent to type.

Though given that you're heavy on the introvert side and emotional, I'd say your best fit is 5w4. It's actually exceedingly rare for IFP 5s to be 5w6 (the other option).

Chloe

It's actually exceedingly rare for IFP 5s to be 5w6 (the other option).

INFP and 6 is also not uncommon at all, and they appear less N, more like IxFP or InFP because facts, groundness give them feeling of safety.

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
No, that's not possible. Sorry. Wings are adjacent to type.

Though given that you're heavy on the introvert side and emotional, I'd say your best fit is 5w4. It's actually exceedingly rare for IFP 5s to be 5w6 (the other option).

I looked up trifixes for enneagrams and I am pretty sure I'm a 5-9-1 tritype. I may appear a bit emotional on the forums (mostly because I'm more outgoing once I get comfortable), but if you get to know me in real life, you'll find something else. I have certain values about relationships and treating others, but I'm definitely not romantic - so no go on a 5w4.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I looked up trifixes for enneagrams and I am pretty sure I'm a 5-9-1 tritype. I may appear a bit emotional on the forums (mostly because I'm more outgoing once I get comfortable), but if you get to know me in real life, you'll find something else. I have certain values about relationships and treating others, but I'm definitely not romantic - so no go on a 5w4.
Well, wing-Four isn't really about romanticism -- it's about a desire to be unique and independent. Six by comparison is about a desire for safety, security and acceptance.

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
Well, wing-Four isn't really about romanticism -- it's about a desire to be unique and independent. Six by comparison is about a desire for safety, security and acceptance.

I read the type 4 description again, and though some of it rings true, other don't. I'll nix the romanticism label I put on type four in favor of independence as that is definitely a big part of who I am. Ultimately, Imma go with four mostly on the basis that I'm NOT a 6.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I read the type 4 description again, and though some of it rings true, other don't. I'll nix the romanticism label I put on type four in favor of independence as that is definitely a big part of who I am.
Yeah... you don't need to identify with the whole Four type, after all you're a wing 4, not a 4 outright. :newwink:

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
Yeah... you don't need to identify with the whole Four type, after all you're a wing 4, not a 4 outright. :newwink:

Fair enough. I could also just not have my entire identity ride on one little number and give it the burden of defining my entire essence.

But if I did that, then I wouldn't be on this site anymore. :shocking:

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fair enough. I could also just not have my entire identity ride on one little number and give it the burden of defining my entire essence.

But if I did that, then I wouldn't be on this site anymore. :shocking:
Nah don't worry, I don't let my type define me... I'm here for entertainment purposes. :tongue:

auriel

INFP and 6 is also not uncommon at all, and they appear less N, more like IxFP or InFP because facts, groundness give them feeling of safety.

Yeah, just because a 4 wing means "emotional" doesn't mean the 6 wing is "unemotional", it's just that their emotions don't define them. A 6 could feel just as deeply.:) But I'd honestly find the idea of an INFP 6 quite weird...I mean, the Loyalist? It just sounds so...Fe. But I'm sure it's possible.

An INFP 8 though? I don't know about that. It pretty much contradicts every aspect of our personality...;)