• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 8] An INFP with an enneagram 8?

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This type would become a famous artist or musician. They would be loved in the public world, but would have burned many, many bridges in every personal sphere. They have multiple ex-spouses who have each written tell all books about the hell they endured while married to these mutants.

I imagine they'd present kind of like a Sean Penn.

They would either start their own successful art gallery, or their own record label for which they would function as both CEO and new talent scout.

This type is likely a unicorn, but these odd, rare combinations are IMO what makes typology interesting, rather than the predictable combos.

if I listen correctly, I am also a unicorn for being an ENFP 1 XD

but I think you hit it on the nose here. I guess in my mind though, considering how strong of feelers INFPs can be, it doesn't seem such an odd combination to me?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
if I listen correctly, I am also a unicorn for being an ENFP 1 XD

but I think you hit it on the nose here. I guess in my mind though, considering how strong of feelers INFPs can be, it doesn't seem such an odd combination to me?
Yeah, this would be an INFP more forthcoming in stating their opinions and calling out perceived wrongs. I could also see them being crusaders for justice, or literal saints. Warrior healers. Or healer warriors

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think the issue with people correlating XNFP/FJ/Fs in general with 8 is the view that simply being Fs would automatically mean being agreeable to people. I have no idea why or how the nature of Fi has never been depicted as possibly manifesting as an intensely gluttonous, self-directed, self-gratifying personality, considering that cognitively it is a very self-derived function- which if anything could promote intensifying and following subjective impulses to stay true to one's nature and actualize them.

To my understanding it is a cognitive function, a way of processing information. I'm not aware that liking or preferring a certain function indicates only one among very specific ways it can manifest; i.e doormatting, Mother Theresa-ing, save-the-world-ing in general which apparently are at odds with the specific and limited ways 8s are supposed to manifest- selfish anger, reckless ruthlessness, etc. I think people perceive a contradiction that may not even exist; that the willfulness and self-confidence of the 8 is incompatible with the apparently inherent self-effacing, 'hurt no one' nature of the Fi- these disagreements are sourced from a potentially fundamentally flawed understanding of a type or how the MBTI and Enneagram works at all. This is only one aspect of each type, and to dismiss this and only this would turn up to merely be a partial assessment of the potential manifestations and compatibility of both types.

I don't see people posing meaningful arguments against the INFP 8 other than to say things that boil down to that the stereotype of 8 does not go with the stereotype of INFP. It may at least be more accurate to say that folks with the F function who manifest in the stereotypical manner are unlikely to be the stereotypical portrait of 8s.

Even so,
[Type 8] Key Motivations: Want to be self-reliant, to prove their strength and resist weakness, to be important in their world, to dominate the environment, and to stay in control of their situation.
I do not understand how such a thing would be contradictory to the nature of Fi in any type.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not to derail the thread, but a strong case could be made for Martin Luther King being an ENFJ 8w9 so-dom. An 8 Feeler would just seek to lead and exert power more based on either strong personal morals (Fi) or shared values (Fe), which is why Fe-heavy 8s (I think), would be relatively more common.
I don't know enough about MLK to type him, other than by observable behavior which is always risky. I definitely agree, though, that 8 and F are not at all incompatible. It would make for an INFP that goes against many of the stereotypes, but we find plenty of that within every type. As I have noted before, when all the world is divided into only 16 boxes, there is bound to be considerable variation within each one. Enneagram can help account for some of these variations.

Yeah, this would be an INFP more forthcoming in stating their opinions and calling out perceived wrongs. I could also see them being crusaders for justice, or literal saints. Warrior healers. Or healer warriors
I have seen INFP called "the crusader", and while that term has always seemed more appropriate for INFJ, an INFP with 8 could easily come across that way. 8 is both reactive and assertive/expansive. 8 wants independence and self-reliance, and fears being controlled by others, all things that align well with the Fi focus on internal (personal) values and authenticity. 8 tends to be much more guarded than the stereotype of the NF who wears their heart on their sleeve. In fact, they can be quite rejecting of the gentler, more sensitive aspects of their personality, while being more open in expressing anger when the line is crossed, especially if that involves a direct attack on their values. I wouldn't be surprised if many INFPs who also have 8 are routinely mistyped as other types, especially if one types by observable behavior.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe Joan Baez?

Aggressive social activist that flushed friends' weed down the toilet, but sang beautifully, expressively and with intensity.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
Well, just saying, simply my last explanation of why Ne and 1 are not compatible give me some work thought and a long post just to have a superficial answer below then some silence and 0 effectiveness of changing people mind's, so I don't think that building an argument would do any good here, but just to at least do a statement, it is extremely likely that INFP/ISFP and CORE 8 are incompatible with each other (stats show, but I haven't revised conceptually), but not as a 'fix' and indeed there are some rare feelers that are 8, ESFP/ESFJ are the most common 8 feelers, I think.