• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 5] 5w4 mb types

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah, and it seems that the instinct descriptions are really very inconsistent. I think very few authors are able to successfully predict what forms the instincts take. In my opinion they can manifest in so many different ways that the only effective way to apply them is to get to the underlying idea of the instinct.

That's the impression I'm getting too in the short time I've been studying the Enneagram. Thanks for the link. I checked it out and it was similar, some things I relate to, other things not so much. Having the idea of each instinct and that system of categories is proving useful enough on its own anyway. It's already a big relief to me to know that I'm not anti-social because I'm not the same as such-and-such social person and that it's just a sx preference.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i like the writers milan kundera and tom wolfe. also donald barthelme (what type is he?) and vladimir nabokov (who seems 5w4). dostoeyevsky, obviously, and i wonder what borges is. i think rainer marie rilke is an infj 5w4, as are william blake and emily dickinson. nietzsche and probably martin heidegger. i'm guessing david lynch, thom yorke, david byrne, possibly trent reznor, possibly tom waits, wim wenders, probably kieslowski, etc. not sure about comedians. probably captain beefheart, james joyce, stephin merritt of the magnetic fields, brian wilson, and i think 5w4 makes more sense for kafka than 4w5. stanley kubrick?

George Carlin? His material seems like a steaming pile of 5w4 to me. (I'm only just starting to get interested in this enneagram stuff, so no one take it personally or get their drawers in a bunch if I'm totally off.)

Edit: okay, "steaming pile" maybe isn't the best way to say it, cuz I didn't intend to include negative association. I just meant something like a raw, unrefined steaming mass of 5w4. without usual "steaming pile" association.

Sarcasticus

Circus Maximus
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
George Carlin? His material seems like a steaming pile of 5w4 to me. (I'm only just starting to get interested in this enneagram stuff, so no one take it personally or get their drawers in a bunch if I'm totally off.)

Edit: okay, "steaming pile" maybe isn't the best way to say it, cuz I didn't intend to include negative association. I just meant something like a raw, unrefined steaming mass of 5w4. without usual "steaming pile" association.

I've always thought so too. He has that Enneagram 5 kind of energy.

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
what about 5w4 infps? what makes them tick, how do they work, etc?
I imagine the dominant Fi makes me much more emotional or aware of my feelings than Thinking Fives are. The way I deal with emotions is different than INFPs of other types. They're not 'sacred' to me so I intellectualise them, along with everything else, to death. Truly to death: the aim is to overcome negative emotions by thinking my way out of them. I'd also happily undergo brain modification that would enable me to remain permanently and exclusively happy, and I don't consider that a disturbing or warped concept. I think most people are irrational and mistaken for thinking it would be a bad thing for humanity.

I relate to the Four in so much as I can immerse myself in negative moods, but the aim is to understand and conquer them, not to identify with them. Sometimes it fails and they actually spiral out of control and proportion, and sometimes they're the only emotions I feel capable of experiencing so I actually surrender and follow them because it's the path of least resistance, as I've spoken about on here, but usually I'm good at vanquishing irrational reactions and rationalising away even what most people consider normal negative emotional responses.

I've also always been uncomfortable with much emotional expression, especially for an F. I was an intensely sensitive and empathetic child, feeling traumatised when people stepped on insects, fretting over people running on grass or teachers conducting experiments on plants, being one of just two in the class with the socio-emotional intelligence to be understanding and kind to the mentally retarded boy etc., but I still found it hard to express gratitude, love or sympathy in a really deep, sincere way. That's because I find emotions too powerful and they threaten to overwhelm me if I make them the focus of the social situation. It's harder to detach and keep them on hold for later when they're undeniably out there in the present moment for everyone to see and react to.

I also don't feel at all comfortable with people expressing strong positive emotions towards me. I like hearing and saying 'I love you' as a statement of a fact that should be kept in mind reassuringly, but I don't like to actually hear or see that love in the statement. It's too much, and I don't feel confident in responding well because it won't come spontaneously, as my natural response to feelings that aren't unfortunately bursting out like a flash flood is to think first, express later if at all (and preferably not to anyone's face). Other people don't perceive me as anywhere as emotional as I am, which is a common feature for Fives in general.

Eye 'n' Teepee

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Isn't John Lennon usually listed as a 5w4? I'm not really all that familiar with the Enneagram, so help enlighten me. It seems as though this type may be prone to self-preservational defenses of various sorts. In Lennon's case, treating others like total **** until they proved themselves worthy of his acceptance. He also seemed to have that anti-authoritarian and anti-convention streak in him as well. However, I'm not sure how or whether extrovert types like Lennon can fit into Type 5.

Now correct my ignorant assumptions so I can build up my knowledge of the enneagram. :newwink:

evilrobot

MBTI Type
nite
Enneagram
5w4
However, I'm not sure how or whether extrovert types like Lennon can fit into Type 5.

Lennon as an extrovert is debatable.

5w4 is a zone of typological misfits (assuming the wing is fairly substantial). INTPs in particular, being the most common 5 mb type. How many 5w4 INTPs identify with the “quest for logical purity” as their prime directive? Both INTP and 5 descriptions usually lean toward 5w6. If you take away 5w4 where intuition and imagination are more the keywords than logic and analysis, these INTP 5s don’t fit so well in the Enneagram. And they don’t identify as much with Keirsey’s NT Rational and INTP descriptions.

Killjoy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I've seen Buster Keaton typed as a 5 and an ENFP.

How the hell does that work? I can see ENTP fives, but an ENFP five just seems so... counterproductive.

Is it even possible?

Liason

I'm more offensive in person!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
what's the difference between ... 5w4 and 5w6 intjs?

I am a 5w4 INTJ, but found that most INTJ's tend to be wing 6. It's more in their perception of the world. For distinction, it is more on how you perceive the world. 5w4's tend to look more toward nature or musical comparisons and such, whilst 5w6's tend to see things more straight forward and systematically rigid.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am a 5w4 INTJ, but found that most INTJ's tend to be wing 6. It's more in their perception of the world. For distinction, it is more on how you perceive the world. 5w4's tend to look more toward nature or musical comparisons and such, whilst 5w6's tend to see things more straight forward and systematically rigid.

Good comparison of the shift -> Four vs the shift -> Six.