• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 5] Enneagram 5w4 versus 5w6

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm sorry for the necro(6 years go me!), but how would you describe 4w5 then? What's the difference? Can you provide some kind of example of 4w5 art? Although I can see what you are saying. I'm just curious how you'd delineate the two.

I don't really have an idea of how I would delineate them either specifically, nor do I remember my train of thought six years later. They are both withdrawing types, but I think Four tends to get more personally invested and Five remains more detached. In a way, then, Five is more protected and can really get into some "crazy" stuff while remaining separate from it, while Four is more invested (in terms of identity) within the experience, according to the theory, and so might identify with some of what is being explored. The core values differ, so I'd conjecture based on that. What does Riso have to say about it?

... oh yeah, and hi and welcome, it's good to see you. ;)

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't really have an idea of how I would delineate them either specifically, nor do I remember my train of thought six years later. They are both withdrawing types, but I think Four tends to get more personally invested and Five remains more detached. In a way, then, Five is more protected and can really get into some "crazy" stuff while remaining separate from it, while Four is more invested (in terms of identity) within the experience, according to the theory, and so might identify with some of what is being explored. The core values differ, so I'd conjecture based on that. What does Riso have to say about it?

... oh yeah, and hi and welcome, it's good to see you. ;)

I understand, I don't blame you. I've been waffling a bit between my cores (meh), although I'm certain about 5, always that doubt and questioning because how can you truly know yourself? So I was thinking maybe if I had something to compare to when it comes to my art and that of a 4w5, it would perhaps become clearer. One thing I have heard is that 4s tend to put themselves in the art so to speak, in the sense that they use their art as a way to channel themselves and their personal experiences in a more direct and concrete manner. I can see this quite clearly in Marilyn Manson's lyrics where all of them seem to relate to some kind of thought, idea, feeling or mental state regarding a more concrete experience he's had or going through. Examples of course being how Holy Wood is all about his anger and frustration about being targeted for the Columbine High Massacre (and the sense of alienation that probably motivated the teenagers to begin with; I think he strongly related since much of his childhood also seems to represent a sense of alienation), or how Mechanical Animals all about his drug abuse and what it made him become.

So in a long-winded way, I was saying that 4s tend to be autobiographic with their art whereas I suppose a 5 could just like a 4, try to channel some kind of sublime mental state, but it is less directly related to a concrete experience in their life? I often feel inspired by things occurring around me obviously, and how I think or feel about things, but rarely do I find that the final product directly represents this experience but seems to overall be more abstract and concrete in nature.

And hi, I've been MIA :whistling:

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
5w6 - Intellectual
5w4 - Imaginative
both - Investigative

R

Riva

Could one have traits of both the wings next to one's enneagram type?

Ex - An enneagram 5w4 with w6 qualities.

And what books on enneagram theory would you (yes you) recommend another to read.

I

Infinite Bubble

I think one may type themselves as only their primary because of relating to both wings/having two heavy wings.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

And what books on enneagram theory would you (yes you) recommend another to read.

You tend to identify with both wings but one more strongly, which is why it's considered your wing because it's influence is dominant. If you feel that the influence or either wing is equally strong or perhaps entirely lacking, you're what is referred to as balanced in terms of type, so you got no wing since there is no obvious preference. I identify strongly as 5w4 but I also see some 6 qualities in myself. They aren't obviously obvious though.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

You tend to identify with both wings but one more strongly, which is why it's considered your wing because it's influence is dominant. If you feel that the influence or either wing is equally strong or perhaps entirely lacking, you're what is referred to as balanced in terms of type, so you got no wing since there is no obvious preference. I identify strongly as 5w4 but I also see some 6 qualities in myself. They aren't obviously obvious though.