• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 2] Enneagram 2s

groovejet02

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
What do you think of type 2s? And if you're a type 2 yourself, could you please share some thoughts about your type?

Personally, I know two women who are type 2s. I'm attracted to their compassion and affection -- they can be very charming and I feel so attracted to them (in a platonic way) :wubbie: When I'm with them, I don't feel the need to be analytical or intellectual. I just want to impress them with my attention. The thing I notice about both of them is how they are easily pleased. Just give them a lot of attention -- smile at them, talk to them -- and see their faces bright up (while everyone likes attention, I notice that type 2 seems to crave it. For example, type 5s can be quite inaccessible and would scoff at your attention when they're lost in their thoughts)

One type 2 whom I know is a former high school classmate whom I've grown to adore after we left high school, and the other is an older woman whom I got to know through a non-profit group.

They love to be selfless. My ex-high school friend for example was forced to marry at 18. And while she was very upset about it, now 4 years later she's devoting 200% of herself to the marriage and even proudly announced to me, "If previously school and friends were a priority, now I'm focusing my all to my husband". She is studying to be a children educator, and stuck to her internship at a kindergarten because she loved the children, despite being very stressed by her colleagues. Aside from all that, she's just adopted a baby boy. Despite all this, she never feels good enough! To others though, she's she's a strongly capable person and is highly admired.

The older woman, on the other hand, works for an NGO as I've mentioned, and on top of that she tutors English to poor women living in run-down flats. But when her daughter has a school project, she makes sure she drops EVERYTHING (take work leave in advanced, call up contacts, etc) to help. She loves theater and was involved with it during her schooldays but told me sorrowfully that she has to sacrifice that for activism instead.

Sorry if this is long-winded. I guess I'm highly fond of them as they are so attractive. But sometimes I wish I could tell them that they're kind enough, y'know? And how they should be more selfish because that's only healthy. It astounds me how such great people can feel so inadequate sometimes and feel the need to be all self-sacrificing about one thing over another.

Their compulsive need to be kind is in essence the same as my need, as a type 5, to be smart.

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
What do you think of type 2s? And if you're a type 2 yourself, could you please share some thoughts about your type?

Personally, I know two women who are type 2s. I'm attracted to their compassion and affection -- they can be very charming and I feel so attracted to them (in a platonic way) :wubbie: When I'm with them, I don't feel the need to be analytical or intellectual. I just want to impress them with my attention. The thing I notice about both of them is how they are easily pleased. Just give them a lot of attention -- smile at them, talk to them -- and see their faces bright up (while everyone likes attention, I notice that type 2 seems to crave it. For example, type 5s can be quite inaccessible and would scoff at your attention when they're lost in their thoughts)

One type 2 whom I know is a former high school classmate whom I've grown to adore after we left high school, and the other is an older woman whom I got to know through a non-profit group.

They love to be selfless. My ex-high school friend for example was forced to marry at 18. And while she was very upset about it, now 4 years later she's devoting 200% of herself to the marriage and even proudly announced to me, "If previously school and friends were a priority, now I'm focusing my all to my husband". She is studying to be a children educator, and stuck to her internship at a kindergarten because she loved the children, despite being very stressed by her colleagues. Aside from all that, she's just adopted a baby boy. Despite all this, she never feels good enough! To others though, she's she's a strongly capable person and is highly admired.

The older woman, on the other hand, works for an NGO as I've mentioned, and on top of that she tutors English to poor women living in run-down flats. But when her daughter has a school project, she makes sure she drops EVERYTHING (take work leave in advanced, call up contacts, etc) to help. She loves theater and was involved with it during her schooldays but told me sorrowfully that she has to sacrifice that for activism instead.

Sorry if this is long-winded. I guess I'm highly fond of them as they are so attractive. But sometimes I wish I could tell them that they're kind enough, y'know? And how they should be more selfish because that's only healthy. It astounds me how such great people can feel so inadequate sometimes and feel the need to be all self-sacrificing about one thing over another.

Their compulsive need to be kind is in essence the same as my need, as a type 5, to be smart.

I'm either a 2w1 or a 1w2 so I identify with 2s a lot and love them immensely (recent events in my life, namely a friend, herself a 2w3, being raped recently, make it hard to be objective right now about whether 1 or 2 is dominant for obvious reasons). When they are "all there" mentally they are extremely empathic, generous, affectionate, and kind, but (as I know through recent personal experience) when they are not they can become manipulative and attention-seeking.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ

I enjoy being helpful and caring towards other people .. I like that i have the strength to push people to see their potential (although it can become incredibly draining) and sometimes it can fall on deaf ears, lol.
This whole "give to receive"??? .. I don't think i deserve to receive and that is not due to lack of confidence .. It is like i am paying for my sins or something, hard to explain .. For me to see someone else happy, makes me happy, then i know i have done a good job yet it pisses me off sometimes .. I suppose that is where i need to find some balance .. Helping others but also helping myself.

Personally, I know two women who are type 2s. When I'm with them, I don't feel the need to be analytical or intellectual. I just want to impress them with my attention. The thing I notice about both of them is how they are easily pleased. Just give them a lot of attention -- smile at them, talk to them -- and see their faces bright up (while everyone likes attention, I notice that type 2 seems to crave it. For example, type 5s can be quite inaccessible and would scoff at your attention when they're lost in their thoughts)

This does make me smile, lol. Sometimes i wonder if people even notice me (yes, i am loud and a performer in public), i am just the carer/supporter. I think because i usually put all my emphasis on someone else, it is pleasant when i speak to someone who is intelligent and they bring up questions which i know nothing about and still, we have a conversation about it .. I feel like i am getting something back from the person instead of just being a 'mommy' figure. There is more to me that just a supporter and i wish people would see that.

They love to be selfless. Despite all this, she never feels good enough! To others though, she's she's a strongly capable person and is highly admired.

I am learning to become more selfish, lol. Maybe then i will feel better and good enough in others eyes even though to an extent i don't really care.
Hmmm :D

What contradictory bullshit :(

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm a 2, borderline 4, due to my E/I split no doubt.

I sometimes hate the fact that I can't seem to stop wanting to rescue people/things. I'm a cranky thing, and yet I like people. Figure that one out.

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
My 2 friend is a sweetheart, but she bruises so easily. Criticism or teasing comes off as an actual affront and she feels neglected if you don't show up to see her when you say you will. Of course, she's the friend who makes sure I don't forget all my assignments, who stands up for me if I'm the one being teased, and loves to say only positive things about the people around her. 2s give a lot, but because of it they can expect other people to as well.

Makes you feel like a selfish little 4, I can tell you. ^^; Why can't we all be sweet caring 2s?

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My 2 friend is a sweetheart, but she bruises so easily. Criticism or teasing comes off as an actual affront and she feels neglected if you don't show up to see her when you say you will. Of course, she's the friend who makes sure I don't forget all my assignments, who stands up for me if I'm the one being teased, and loves to say only positive things about the people around her. 2s give a lot, but because of it they can expect other people to as well.

I've learned to curtail my caretaking with help. My ENFP twin is also a 2, so we've had to learn strategies. It usually helps to see my twin dissolve into upset over something/someone so my 4 triggers, and vice versa, because NO ONE makes my sister cry! lol *smacks fist into hand*

Makes you feel like a selfish little 4, I can tell you. ^^; Why can't we all be sweet caring 2s?

Or bubbles!

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I've learned to curtail my caretaking with help. My ENFP twin is also a 2, so we've had to learn strategies. It usually helps to see my twin dissolve into upset over something/someone so my 4 triggers, and vice versa, because NO ONE makes my sister cry! lol *smacks fist into hand*

Yay integration into 4! :D Believe me, someone makes any of my sisters cry, and I explode too. Except I integrate towards 1, so I use my 1 skillz. ;)

Or bubbles!
:blushing: Iwuvyoutoo.

HollyGolightly

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Type twos need to give love and also need to receive it. I should know, I spend most of my time searching for love and acceptance, to the point where I am far too eager to please. This can lead to a type 2 being taken advantage of. It only takes somebody to say the right things, evoke the right emotions and you've got us. We'll be loyal to you and constantly giving, never feeling like we are giving enough. I have notied a lot of type 2 end up in unhappy marriages. There are far too many people wanting to take advantage, mainly because it's very easy to do so.

wrldisquiethere

MBTI Type
xSFJ
Enneagram
2w1
I like it most of the time. I hate not being able to do things for myself without feeling guilty, though. And I hate how sometimes I am so overly concerned with not hurting others that I'm not honest enough about things that hurt me, and then I start getting resentful and a relationship suffers for it. I'm having to learn to be honest about what I want/need from others.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
2w1 here. Holla!

Waffle

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram

I think it fits me perfectly. All I liek to do si give and please, though it never seems like it's enough. I mean, there is always something else I could do right? I liek giving and it makes me feel good. I guess that's an ulterior motive, but it's just who I am. I love seeing people smile, especially when I make homemade sweets and hand the out. The pure joy in someone's face from something I've made just makes me so happy. It's not really a like ro dislike thing, but i think coupled with my MBTI, it makes a whole lot of sense.

Ming

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3
I'm a 2w3; and I think we 2s just want love :hug:. It's that simple..

And the point of being manipulative and attention seeking? I'll agree with attention seeking but MANIPULATIVE? How?:shock:

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
The 2's I know best are unhealthy so to answer your question: I feel scared.

Chloe

2 is rare enneagram type. I read instructions to type yourself as 2 only if you dismissed all other enneatypes!! Because culture raises girls to behave in 2 fashion - giving, taking care of others - so many women identify with 2's traits, but aren't 2.
also 2 is practically the same as codependence, love addiction, relationship addictions - which many non-2s have, the difference is codependence etc. is disorder that is treatable, and 2 isnt - if you are 2 you'll always be 2, of course.

Ming said:
And the point of being manipulative and attention seeking? I'll agree with attention seeking but MANIPULATIVE? How?

2's politic is "give to get", so they give to others in order to get back. that's manipulative... they are not giving it freely... and they want other people to depend on them

Ming

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3
2's politic is "give to get", so they give to others in order to get back. that's manipulative... they are not giving it freely... and they want other people to depend on them
Really? I understand the 'give to get'; but that's what's life all about.

I truly don't think about 'getting' anything when I give something, so maybe that's just me.

Yes I want other people to depend on me. I want to love them back. I want to care for them; I don't even know why. :yes: I want love from other people :cheese:

Chloe

Really? I understand the 'give to get'; but that's what's life all about.

I truly don't think about 'getting' anything when I give something, so maybe that's just me.

Yes I want other people to depend on me. I want to love them back. I want to care for them; I don't even know why. :yes: I want love from other people :cheese:

Well it depends on the level of your health, of course. How much enneagram is in charge of your personality. I prefer theory that says enneagram is mainly defense mechanism which is in charge when you're unhealthy... and when you're healthy you're more your true self; ESFP.

but yeah, basically that's what enneagram 2 is about: manipulating others to be dependent on you, because you have feeling for your identity through others in your life.
Maitri said Monica Lewinsky is one good example of 2 gone bad.:) attention whoring indirectly..

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Clingy clingy clingy, oy.